PDA

View Full Version : MLB = Original Planet of the Apes!

PaleHoseGeorge
08-16-2002, 02:54 PM
What we need now is a clip from the last scene of the original Planet of the Apes. "You finally did it!" Who knew that the movie was actually an allegory about the players and owners?

I agree. The only question is, who amongst the current cast of MLB characters fits amongst those from the movie?

Here's my stab at it.

Astronaut Taylor (Charlton Heston) -- too easy: it's the fans. "Damn you! Damn you!"

Doctor Zaius--Bud Selig. He knows the truth, but is busy trying to hide it from everybody else.

Cornelius (Roddy McDowell)--Don Fehr. His ideas are a bit scary to the powers that be--especially Doctor Zaius/Bud Selig!

Lucius--Tom Glavine. Young intellectual, struggling with the status quo. Probably the next Cornelius/Don Fehr when he grows older.

Astronaut Dodge (the black guy)--Ex-NL President Bill White. Both got shot and killed.

Astronaut Landon (the one with the lobotomy)--Frank Robinson. Just doing what he's told to do now.

General of the Gorilla Militia--another easy one: Reinsdorf. God, what a great tag that would be!
:smile:

Here's the famous line dripping with irony for baseball fans...
Damn you! Damn you all to hell! (http://www.johncscifisite.com/apes/apes0021.WAV)

PaleHoseGeorge
08-16-2002, 03:11 PM
Oh, I just thought of another one.

The Law-Giver -- Judge Kennesaw Landis. Not much in the world of baseball would have changed if Doctor Zaius/Bud Selig had his way!

duke of dorwood
08-16-2002, 03:36 PM
:julie

As Nova

PaleHoseGeorge
08-16-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
:julie

As Nova

I've been trying to think of ANYBODY to be Doctor Zira, but there just aren't enough females in baseball.
:(:

I'm thinking Crystal Durham would be a funny choice.

:gulp:

:ray
"She's definitely the one with the brains in the family."

MisterB
08-16-2002, 07:39 PM
Cornelius (Roddy McDowell)--Don Fehr. His ideas are a bit scary to the powers that be--especially Doctor Zaius/Bud Selig!

If I remember correctly Cornelius was advocating rights for humans, which in this analogy would be the fans. Don Fehr is fighting for the MLBPA, not the fans.

General of the Gorilla Militia--another easy one: Reinsdorf. God, what a great tag that would be!
:smile:

I think Bob DuPuy would be a closer match at this point.

Daver
08-16-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by MisterB

I think Bob DuPuy would be a closer match at this point.

Hoe do you figure this?

Bob Dupuy was forced out of his position in MLB by Bud,and was the only one that had any type of working relationship with the MLBPA.

MisterB
08-16-2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by daver

Hoe do you figure this?

Bob Dupuy was forced out of his position in MLB by Bud,and was the only one that had any type of working relationship with the MLBPA.

You're thinking of Paul Beeston. He was forced out by BudLite and DuPuy took his place.

Daver
08-16-2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by MisterB

You're thinking of Paul Beeston. He was dumped by BudLite and DuPuy took his place.

You would be correct,sorry it's been a long day.....