...per Fox News Channel

TheBigHurt
08-16-2002, 11:05 AM
yup i just saw it on ESPN

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-16-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
...per Fox News Channel

So, the scheduled date for MLB to officially commit suicide is August 30th. I'm going to go mark that on my calendar now.

voodoochile
08-16-2002, 11:21 AM
"Momma always said, stupid is as stupid does..."

Anyway to start a countdown to the end of MLB ticker?

How about dem Bears?

DuckSnort
08-16-2002, 11:25 AM
So that means I don't get to see my giants -vs- brewers game.. ugh... no live baseball for me this year :angry: death to the greedy schmuks!

cheeses_h_rice
08-16-2002, 11:31 AM
I'm honestly surprised the Sox weren't in first place when this happened.

TornLabrum
08-16-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I'm honestly surprised the Sox weren't in first place when this happened.

This is the one hope of a settlement before the strike date.

What we need now is a clip from the last scene of the original Planet of the Apes. "You finally did it!" Who knew that the movie was actually an allegory about the players and owners?

duke of dorwood
08-16-2002, 11:51 AM
:tool

"You blew it up-damn you, damn you"

Iguana775
08-16-2002, 12:48 PM
so i wonder when the lawsuit from fox will come. they will loss a TON of money with a strike.

CubKilla
08-16-2002, 01:06 PM
Well, if I go to the game on Tuesday, like I'm planning, it looks like that will be my last paying time EVER at Comiskey Park. The only way I will ever go to a live baseball event is if EVERYTHING (parking, food, beer, etc) is paid for me..... that is, of course, if the players strike on August 30th. If a strike is averted, you'll all see me at Comiskey next summer.

doublem23
08-16-2002, 01:09 PM
Phew, looks like I'm heading to Peoria just in time.

kevingrt
08-16-2002, 01:58 PM
All a strike date is, is if they dont get there kinks worked out by then, then there goes baseball. It doesn't neccisarliy mean they're done, but the way these people negoiate, I think there done.

TornLabrum
08-16-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
All a strike date is, is if they dont get there kinks worked out by then, then there goes baseball. It doesn't neccisarliy mean they're done, but the way these people negoiate, I think there done.

Remember who is in charge of MLB and of the MLBPA. These guys would cut off their noses to spite their faces.

TornLabrum
08-16-2002, 02:00 PM
BTW, my post above was in agreement with you.

voodoochile
08-16-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
BTW, my post above was in agreement with you.

Starting to expect arguments, Hal?

:D:

Daver
08-16-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
All a strike date is, is if they dont get there kinks worked out by then, then there goes baseball. It doesn't neccisarliy mean they're done

There has never been a strike date set by the players without there being a strike.

basilesox
08-16-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by daver

There has never been a strike date set by the players without there being a strike.

That pretty much means it is as good as over. And when I was about to win $200 bucks for winning my fantasy baseball league for the first time ever.

CubKilla
08-16-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by basilesox

That pretty much means it is as good as over. And when I was about to win $200 bucks for winning my fantasy baseball league for the first time ever.

First, you had to deal with the '94 strike, with the Sox in first and picked by many to finally win a WS..... now, in '02, you may be out $200. These work stoppages have been brutal on you. :D:

chisoxfanatic
08-16-2002, 06:12 PM
Things could be worse....We could be Twins fans....They worked so hard to get where they are, plus all the talks of contraction still looming.

Heather the Redbird

MisterB
08-16-2002, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by chisoxfanatic
Things could be worse....We could be Twins fans....They worked so hard to get where they are, plus all the talks of contraction still looming.

Heather the Redbird

On top of that, a strike might kill chances for a new ballpark (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0816/1418899.html) for the Twinkies.

MrX
08-16-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by MisterB

On top of that, a strike might kill chances for a new ballpark (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0816/1418899.html) for the Twinkies.

As long as Pohlad gets his 250 mil from Bud to contract them he could care less about building a new stadium.

Daver
08-16-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by MrX

As long as Pohlad gets his 250 mil from Bud to contract them he could care less about building a new stadium.

I think Shyam Dys is going to put a big ole wrench in Pohlad"The Pud's" payday.....

MarkEdward
08-16-2002, 09:06 PM

I think Shyam Dys is going to put a big ole wrench in Pohlad"The Pud's" payday.....

Why do you think he's taking so long to make his decision?

On another though: Rooney! Woohoo!

Daver
08-16-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

Why do you think he's taking so long to make his decision?

On another though: Rooney! Woohoo!

Personally,I think he is waiting for an agreement or a work stoppage,so that his role has nothing to do with either.

Lip Man 1
08-17-2002, 01:31 AM
Just a few thoughts.....

I said three years ago that another strike was coming, I realize that didn't take any particular brilliance on my part... just the way things were looking. I guess the telling sign for me was when baseball put Jerry Reinsdorf BACK on the executive committee two years ago.

That committee was formed to offer recommendations to the commissioner as far as labor strategy is concerned. So the man who helped bring you the strike of 94 was now offering his opinions again. Everyone knows his opinions changed not a wit so the message was clear.

Personally if they actually go out, I hope for a long drawn out bloody confrontation. I'm talking about at least 12 months.

A quick solution is no solution to the problems in the sport.

I don't care who wins as long as massive changes are made.

If the players win, perhaps that finally will convince some of these owners like Reinsdorf, David Glass, Carl Pohland, Drayton McClain, John Moorad etc to GET THE HELL OUT since they are unwilling (probably) or unable (maybe) to compete.

Get Mark Cuban on the phone, and Paul Allen and Bill Gates and get them involved. Get owners who ARE willing to take on the Steinbrenners of the sport and not just throw up their hands and shed alligator tears.

Also a long bloody strike could actually cause four teams to go bust. This means better baseball, fewer Triple A pitchers in the bigs and areas that don't give a damn about the sport (Montreal, Tampa Bay, Florida and ???) to not have it.

If the owners win, then "competitive balance" is restored (maybe) but at least someone like Reinsdorf MAY be inclined to start trying again (like in the early 80's) and stop trying to "break" the players union and disgust his own fan base.

Will I miss baseball? I'll miss WINNING baseball and not the garbage the Sox are passing off as "big league" ball (which they have done basically since the White Flag Deal)

As a last resort I always have my collection of Sox video tapes from the late 70's on to give me my "fix". (and you know what, the Sox ALWAYS win on those!!! LOL)

Besides another strike will screw the Yankees for the 2nd time (Remember they had the best record in the A.L., three games ahead of the Sox in 94)

Lip

Jerry_Manuel
08-17-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Personally if they actually go out, I hope for a long drawn out bloody confrontation. I'm talking about at least 12 months.

A quick solution is no solution to the problems in the sport.

I feel the same.

It would be just like the owners to cave in and slap and band-aid on this thing for 2-4 more years. Then go through the same crap all over again. Get a deal that works for all the parties involved, a deal they both like, and like for more than 10 minutes.

MarkEdward
08-17-2002, 01:36 AM

Personally,I think he is waiting for an agreement or a work stoppage,so that his role has nothing to do with either.

Wouldn't a decision *before* a labor conflict be more prudent? It would probably take one more issue off the table.

Daver
08-17-2002, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

Wouldn't a decision *before* a labor conflict be more prudent? It would probably take one more issue off the table.

No,it adds an issue,they can't discuss and squabble over something they have no control over at this point.

ma-gaga
08-17-2002, 09:00 AM
Das is trying to be political. Not screw anyone if he doesn't have to.

Heather, being a Twins fan ain't that bad. August 31st will be bad, today no, not bad today... Beat Pedro Martinez last night.

Lip, you are a seriously sick one. Break out the tapes from the 70's? Wow. are you going to listen to the 8 tracks as well? But here's my biggest problem with your sentiments.

Owners win = competetive balance

This isn't going to happen. There is no way that an accurate assessment of local revenues will EVER occur. Next thing you know, the owners will be undercounting the gate, negotiating for crappy cable deals, to avoid paying into the pot. Watch it happen, the YES network is only paying Steinbrenner $20MM next year... This rhetoric is just lipservice to sell to people like you and me. The owners don't care about "competetive balance". Anyone who sold you that can sell you a nice car.

The owners care about money. If they get their way, they'll make more money, the players will make less, and there will always be crappy teams to bitch about.

voodoochile
08-17-2002, 10:15 AM
The Twinkies are no longer a team being considered for contraction from what I have read. Expos and another team (not the Twins). They also will probably relocate some teams, but they want to contract first.

MarkEdward
08-17-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
The Twinkies are no longer a team being considered for contraction from what I have read. Expos and another team (not the Twins). They also will probably relocate some teams, but they want to contract first.

I think Selig is still high on contracting the Twins. About a week ago, an article came out where Selig called the Twins' winning season an "abberation," and the Twins won't continue to win unless they get a new, tax-funded stadium. Anti-marketing at its best.

Paulwny
08-17-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
. Watch it happen, the YES network is only paying Steinbrenner $20MM next year

The YES network is owned by King George, charging cable companies $1.50 for every subsciber. He will not allow the cable companies to have the station as a separate pay for channel. This is the reason that the vast majority of people in NYC do not receive yankmee games the cable company there wants the channel to be a seperate pay for channel.

HawkDJ
08-17-2002, 11:09 AM
Were the Sox even at these meetings? I mean they have been striking since April 30th right?

Jerry_Manuel
08-17-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Were the Sox even at these meetings? I mean they have been striking since April 30th right?

Watched Conan last night eh?