PDA

View Full Version : Daryle Ward

voodoochile
08-09-2001, 11:15 AM
Can this guy play CF? If he can, it opens up some possibilities for a trade...

Konerko, Biddle and Singleton for Ward and a prospect, then Lee goes to first, Ward goes to CF and Canseco goes to left next year...

If that doesn't work, the Sox can put Ward in left and Rowand in CF until Borchard comes up and then whichever is better defensively (Ward or Borchard) goes to CF...

Okay, feel free to rip me a new one...

Tragg
08-09-2001, 11:25 AM
Ward is, at best, a Carlos Lee in the outfield.

No way in hell can he play CF.

Not to mention he has putrid OBP numbers. A close friend of mine, a big Astros fan, loves him and thinks he will be an offensive force with more PT. I have my doubts, but some people think he's a real hitter.

voodoochile
08-09-2001, 11:31 AM
His OBP is .330+ whidh isn't bad considering he is hitting .268... His OPS is over .800... but if he can't play CF, the idea is a dead one...

Tragg
08-09-2001, 11:36 AM
Coming into this year, his career OBP was .303. A .330 OBP is not good for a middle of the lineup hitter.
Carlos Lee's isn't what it needs to be either, particularly this year.

I don't see him as a big improvement to this team. He is a lefty, so that's something. But he seems similar to lee or konerko - that sort of hitter.

I'd rather try to get a lead-off man and a young ss in here.

delben91
08-09-2001, 11:42 AM
I'd rather try to get a lead-off man and a young ss in here.

I'm with you Tragg. Maybe both in one player?? Also, I know it's only rookie ball and he's got to prove it for a few more years, but how about that gonzalez kid we have down in rookie ball, seems like there might be hope for the future in this kid. Way in the future, but hey, I'll take it.

Tragg
08-09-2001, 11:57 AM
It's frustrating that our position players are in A ball, but our pitchers are major league ready, or nearly so.

Maybe sign a damon or cedeno to lead off and play cf for a couple of years, and use rowand as a fourth outfielder (with lots of p.t.-ordonez and lee need rest now and then). Or package lee or konerko to bring in a major league ready young ss. The ss's are there - seattle has two of them (not including the guy who's playing ss for them now) - they also need a left fielder.

Randar68
08-09-2001, 12:52 PM
I'm all for signing Roger Cedeno be a leadoff hitter, but where do you play him? He is very lack-lustre in CF.....disappointing defense....

I think out future leadoff hitter is actually only about a year away.

Tim Hummel RARELY strikes out, and while he isn't your prototypical 2B, as he's 6'2" and 200 pounds, he has good power potential and is a gaps hitter. Makes contact VERY often....

Ray, your bus awaits you....

Gonzalez has 5 HR. The team as a whole has 6!!!!

He is in the top 5 in Rookie ball in HR, SLG%, and extra base hits. He also is carrying a very nice average of around .333. He has 2 big problems right now:

1) K:B ratio is like 3:1.
2) He tries to make every play in the field and still doesn't know when to stick it in his pocket....all the draft reports were about his fielding, and his power/hitting has been the surprise of the draft for the Sox...(well, us fans anyways)

NOW SIGN ZERINGUE AND MATTOX, YOU CHEAP-ASS JR!!!!!!!!!

delben91
08-09-2001, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
I think out future leadoff hitter is actually only about a year away.

Tim Hummel RARELY strikes out, and while he isn't your prototypical 2B, as he's 6'2" and 200 pounds, he has good power potential and is a gaps hitter. Makes contact VERY often....

That sounds good to me. How's his defense? If I recall, he was a SS in college, so he'll probably have plenty of arm for 2B, but what about range and making the pivot at second? Anything on that?

Randar68
08-09-2001, 01:37 PM
That sounds good to me. How's his defense? If I recall, he was a SS in college, so he'll probably have plenty of arm for 2B, but what about range and making the pivot at second? Anything on that?

Well, I have seen him mention that he had actually NEVER played 2B before this season, not once. He did mention a couple of things:

1) The throw going away from first is the toughest adjustment he's had to make
2) When he was drafted, I immediately assumed he would be moved to 2B or 3B because he has a great arm, but his range for a SS was a little questionable. He's not as fast a Ray, and his range at 2B would probably be comparable to Royce at SS, good, but not great

doublem23
08-09-2001, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Maybe sign a damon or cedeno to lead off and play cf for a couple of years

Forget about Johnny Damon. His agent is Scott Boras. THAT ain't gonna happen.