PDA

View Full Version : Foulke Tipping His Pitches!

TornLabrum
08-15-2002, 11:13 PM
I had a conversaton tonight with the president of the Windy City Sox Fans, a season ticket holder who has seats about 13 rows behind the Sox dugout. The conversation got around to Keith Foulke and she said quite simpy, "He's tipping his pitches with his left foot. I've been calling the pitches he was going to throw and checking with the radar gun, and I've been right every time."

Too bad our two crack pitching coaches this year haven't figured this out.

:keith

"Nardi, why didn't you catch that little detail?"

:nardi

"Jerry told me my job was to count pitches!"

:jerry

"I'm sorry, did you say your name was Keith something? I was busy contemplating my navel. Have we met?"

RedPinStripes
08-15-2002, 11:24 PM
He gives more tips then just his foot.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-16-2002, 07:41 AM
Why am I not surprised by this. Jerry & Nardi couldn't be bothered by minor details like that when they have Roycie & his ice cream bill to worry about.

"Hey Nardi! go to Dominicks & buy 10 gallons of chocolate ice cream so we cah shut roycie up."

PaleHoseGeorge
08-16-2002, 10:00 AM
LOL! Let's hire her!

:KW
"Hey, wait a minute! We can't have somebody competent enough to know how to do their job on the payroll. That would look like horse**** for the rest of us!"

:jerry :garyward :garypettis :waving
"Yeah!!!"

soxrme
08-16-2002, 02:10 PM
Whats to tip? He only has two pitches.

Foulke You
08-16-2002, 02:18 PM
What keeps Foulke effective is changing between the 2 pitches (sometimes a slider in there too) and keeping hitters off balance. If they think the change up is coming, he throws gas and vice versa. It's made him a very effective pitcher for 3 seasons. If he is indeed tipping his pitches, then the hitter is just going to wait until he tips that fastball so they can crush it. It could go a long way to explaining Keith's early struggles this year.

TornLabrum
08-16-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
What keeps Foulke effective is changing between the 2 pitches (sometimes a slider in there too) and keeping hitters off balance. If they think the change up is coming, he throws gas and vice versa. It's made him a very effective pitcher for 3 seasons. If he is indeed tipping his pitches, then the hitter is just going to wait until he tips that fastball so they can crush it. It could go a long way to explaining Keith's early struggles this year.

It's quite possible he's done it in the past, too, and its usually with his feet. Mary Kay, who is the person who caught this also caught Roberto Hernandez tipping pitches when he was still with us. She didn't know exactly what, but when they looked at the tapes, he was tipping with the fingers in his glove. Too bad we can't hire coaches who can spot stuff like that, huh?

"I'd rather hire my old playmates."

voodoochile
08-16-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by soxrme
Whats to tip? He only has two pitches.

All the worse, because the only difference in them is speed, so if he tips the changeup, the hitters get a nice fat slow pitch to hit, or they can dial it up and smoke his fastball, which tends to be pretty straight.

Foulke You
08-16-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

It's quite possible he's done it in the past, too, and its usually with his feet. Mary Kay, who is the person who caught this also caught Roberto Hernandez tipping pitches when he was still with us. She didn't know exactly what, but when they looked at the tapes, he was tipping with the fingers in his glove. Too bad we can't hire coaches who can spot stuff like that, huh?

"I'd rather hire my old playmates."

You would think someone like Nossek would pick up on something like Foulke tipping his pitches. The guy can steal base signals like a kid in a candy store but can't spot our own team's problems. I'm not blaming this all on Nossek. The whole coaching staff should be blamed.

"Hey, don't look at me for advice! It took me 2 years to realize Royce didn't have his 'A' game!"