PDA

View Full Version : AFL Rosters announced

Randar68
08-15-2002, 05:38 PM
Arizona Fall League Roster was announced today.

Playing on the Peoria Javelinas are:

Pitchers:

Jon Adkins
Gary Majewski
Dave Sanders
Josh Stewart
Joe Valentine

Infielders:

Tim Hummel

doublem23
08-15-2002, 05:42 PM
I thought the Sox prospects played on the Phoenix Desert Dogs.

hold2dibber
08-15-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Pitchers:

Jon Adkins
Gary Majewski
Dave Sanders
Josh Stewart
Joe Valentine

Infielders:

Tim Hummel

Could someone explain to me exactly what the Arizona Fall League is? Who sends teams? Who manages? Which players are eligible and how are they chosen? Are all the games played in Arizona? How many games and when does the season start/end? And which stadium has the best hot dogs?

RedPinStripes
08-15-2002, 06:29 PM
I think Crede harris and a few others should play winterball. think that will happen?

Iguana775
08-15-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I think Crede harris and a few others should play winterball. think that will happen?

at least LTP should.

Chisox_cali
08-15-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Pitchers:

Jon Adkins
Gary Majewski
Dave Sanders
Josh Stewart
Joe Valentine

Infielders:

Tim Hummel

That's good for Hummel, it shows his dedication to wanting to make it, and I hope they play him as short, and assuming they trade Valentin in the Off-Season I hope he beats of Jimenez for SS

Jerry_Manuel
08-15-2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
That's good for Hummel, it shows his dedication to wanting to make it, and I hope they play him as short, and assuming they trade Valentin in the Off-Season I hope he beats of Jimenez for SS

2nd base for Hummel. Center for Harris.

Wave of the future.

Jerry_Manuel
08-15-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Could someone explain to me exactly what the Arizona Fall League is? Who sends teams? Who manages? Which players are eligible and how are they chosen? Are all the games played in Arizona? How many games and when does the season start/end? And which stadium has the best hot dogs?

There are six teams in the Arizona Fall League: the Maryvale Saguaros, Phoenix Desert Dogs, Grand Canyon Rafters, Peoria Javelinas, Scottsdale Scorpions, and Mesa Solar Sox. These club names were picked by Major League Baseball as reflective of the Southwestern desert traditions in the state.

The teams are broken into two divisions, East and West. Each Major League Baseball team sends six top prospects to the Arizona Fall League, 180 players in all. The games are played in the Spring Training stadiums used by the Giants, Mariners, Padres, Cubs, A's and Brewers.

Each August, Major League clubs hold a position draft to determine the players who will go to Arizona. Most are Double-A and Triple-A Minor League players. Each club can opt to send one player considered a Class A player.

The roster size is 30 players per team.

Each Major League organization is required to provide six players subject to the following requirements:

All Triple-A and Double-A players are eligible, provided the players are on at least a Double-A level roster no later than Aug. 1.

One player below the Double-A level is allowed per Major League team.

One foreign player is allowed, as long as the player does not reside in a country that participates in winter ball, as part of the Caribbean Confederation or the Australian winter league.

No players with more than one year of credited Major League service as of August 31 are eligible, except a team may select one player picked in the most recently concluded Major League Rule 5 Draft.

To be eligible, players on Minor League disabled lists must be activated at least 45 days before the conclusion of their respective seasons.

Vsahajpal
08-16-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
I thought the Sox prospects played on the Phoenix Desert Dogs.

Actually they've played with Mesa the last few years I think, and Rob Purvis pitched for the Scottsdale Scorpions last season.

Should be another good AFL, looking forward to seeing Clint Nageotte (sic?), Wily Mo Pena, Rocco Baldelli, and a few others.

doublem23
08-16-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

Actually they've played with Mesa the last few years I think, and Rob Purvis pitched for the Scottsdale Scorpions last season.

Hmmm.. I dunno. I thought I rememered hearing the Sox prospects would play with Phoenix this year... Not that I really know what the hell I'm talking about anyway.