PDA

View Full Version : Who should start?


BuehrleACE56
08-15-2002, 09:54 AM
Who else should start in addition to Buerhle, Garland, and Wright?

whitesoxwilkes
08-15-2002, 09:58 AM
:hawk

"i gotta go with the rockmeister"

delben91
08-15-2002, 10:11 AM
:rock
"You have to ask?"

CubKilla
08-15-2002, 10:30 AM
Well, if KW is not going to go out and get a quality veteran starter (i.e. NOT Todd Ritchie), then I opt for Glover as #4 and Biddle as #5. I also think, given the same opportunity, that Glover will be a better pitcher than Wright. Just MHO.

voodoochile
08-15-2002, 10:51 AM
This year they should let Parque and Glover finish it out. Go ahead and give Folulke a couple of starts, but don't expect big things from him in that role, IMO.

Next year I hope they sign a veteran and then throw the 5th slot open to competition, but I don't think that will happen. It will probably be Glover and one of Parque/Biddle(who is probably done as a starter, IMO)/pick-a-minor-leaguer (Rauch?). They are going to try and do next year on the cheap and see where it takes them. KCPII coming soon to a ballpark near you...

Personally, I would like to see what Glover can do when given the chance to start all year. He is definitely showing signs of improving and he has a good live arm. Now if they can just tell him at the end of the season that he is a starter next year, it will make it easier for him to get ready and then we won't see his arm struggle like it did early in the year when they tried to switch him from starter to bullpen and back in a short period of time.

:jerry
"Gary will be a start...er...reliev...er...start...er...reliev...A AAAAAAAAP!!! All the pieces are in place..."

MarkEdward
08-15-2002, 10:52 AM
I'd like to see Parque stick in the rotation to see if he's worth keeping around next year. I don't think Rocky has all his arm strength back, although I'd like to see him start next year. I'd rather see Gary Glover in the pen, but I don't him as a starter. I'd give Foulke a shot just because we have nothing to lose this year.

hold2dibber
08-15-2002, 11:33 AM
For the remainder of this year, I'd like to see Glover continuing to start, because I think he may be a better than avg. back of the rotation starter in the future (a Todd Ritchie when he was with the Pirates kind of guy). Speaking of Ritchie, if he's healthy, I'd also keep starting him. I don't see him as a reliever and, if I recall correctly, we're stuck with him next year, so I'd keep working with him and giving him starts (once he's healthy) to prepare for next year.

I still like both Parque and Biddle, but I don't think either really has pre-surgery arm strength back. I think they will both compete for starting jobs next year (in a very crowded field - Buehrle, Garland, Wright, Ritchie, Glover, Biddle, Parque and Rauch all contending for five spots) but I'd spot them both out of the pen for the remainder of next year.

RedPinStripes
08-15-2002, 11:49 AM
Glover has looked damn good.

What's the point of foulke starting? I really don't think it will amount to anything.

This is what i think the rotation should be for no wtill Rauch is ready.

Mark
Jon
Danny
Glover
Rocko

anything wrong with that?

delben91
08-15-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Danny
Glover


I was trying to think of something witty to say, but the best I could come up with is "At least they're not 'too old for this ****' "

CubKilla
08-15-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Glover has looked damn good.

What's the point of foulke starting? I really don't think it will amount to anything.

This is what i think the rotation should be for no wtill Rauch is ready.

Mark
Jon
Danny
Glover
Rocko

anything wrong with that?

Great minds think alike :D:

voodoochile
08-15-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Glover has looked damn good.

What's the point of foulke starting? I really don't think it will amount to anything.

This is what i think the rotation should be for no wtill Rauch is ready.

Mark
Jon
Danny
Glover
Rocko

anything wrong with that?

I don't think Biddle will ever be a good starter again. His arm has gone through too much these past few years. I think he should stay in the bullpen and they should let Parque finish the year as a starter to see if he truly can return to the form he showed a few years ago and be a solid 5th starter for the Sox next year.

I know Daver disagrees, but what the hell does he know?

:D:

CiscoCarlos
08-15-2002, 12:33 PM
Biddle deserves a chance to start regularly. In his two starts this year he pitched O.K.--that's better than Parque who perhaps deserves a chance to replace Biddle in mid-relief, but hasn't done anything to merit a starting role. I was shocked after they bought Parque up after just a few good starts in Charlotte. Wait till spring training.

Biddle has been erratic--but some of that is just the nature of being a mid-inning reliever. The classic example happened a few weeks back. After starting a game he was kept out of action for eight days and then brought in relief. It was no surprise he gave up four runs and looked awful.

When used regularly he shows himself to be a gutsy pitcher. With some regular work in the rotation, my guess is he'd be a .500 pitcher with an era in low 4s.

hold2dibber
08-15-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by CiscoCarlos
Biddle deserves a chance to start regularly. In his two starts this year he pitched O.K.--that's better than Parque who perhaps deserves a chance to replace Biddle in mid-relief, but hasn't done anything to merit a starting role. I was shocked after they bought Parque up after just a few good starts in Charlotte. Wait till spring training.

Biddle has been erratic--but some of that is just the nature of being a mid-inning reliever. The classic example happened a few weeks back. After starting a game he was kept out of action for eight days and then brought in relief. It was no surprise he gave up four runs and looked awful.

When used regularly he shows himself to be a gutsy pitcher. With some regular work in the rotation, my guess is he'd be a .500 pitcher with an era in low 4s.

I agree that Biddle has some potential as a starter, but am concerned that they not put too much of a burden on his arm, in light of his off season surgery. That's why I'd prefer to stick with Ritchie and Glover, while allowing Biddle and Parque to continue to build up their arm strength so that both can compete for a starting job next year. But if, medically speaking, the Rockster is back to 100%, then I agree, let him have Ritchie's spot and see what happens.

hold2dibber
08-15-2002, 02:30 PM
I think this poll should include D'Angelo Jimenez; he pitched 1.2 innings of perfect ball for the Padres this year!!!!!

CiscoCarlos
08-15-2002, 02:50 PM
I know this post shows my ignorance, but is D'Angelo mostly a second baseman or a shortstop? I ask because it looks like Willie Harris might need to be a platoon player next year and it looks like the Sox are set on short with Valentine, backed up by Graffanino.

Daver
08-15-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile


I don't think Biddle will ever be a good starter again. His arm has gone through too much these past few years. I think he should stay in the bullpen and they should let Parque finish the year as a starter to see if he truly can return to the form he showed a few years ago and be a solid 5th starter for the Sox next year.

I know Daver disagrees, but what the hell does he know?

:D:

This late in the season it would make sense to let Rocky stay in the bullpen where he gets more rest,but even with a shoulder that is not 100% he still has the best fastball on the staff........

hold2dibber
08-15-2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by CiscoCarlos
I know this post shows my ignorance, but is D'Angelo mostly a second baseman or a shortstop? I ask because it looks like Willie Harris might need to be a platoon player next year and it looks like the Sox are set on short with Valentine, backed up by Graffanino.

From my understanding (and someone who actually knows what the hell they're talking about should feel free to chime in), Jimenez isn't that great of a fielder at either position, but is probably better suited for 2B. In either event, I'm a long way away from concluding that Willie Harris is not an every day player. As I recall, Robin Ventura, Ryne Sandberg and many others started off much more horrendously than Willie has. I am not saying Willie will necessarily be a good everyday player, but I think it is way too early to tell.

RedPinStripes
08-15-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile


I don't think Biddle will ever be a good starter again. His arm has gone through too much these past few years. I think he should stay in the bullpen and they should let Parque finish the year as a starter to see if he truly can return to the form he showed a few years ago and be a solid 5th starter for the Sox next year.

I know Daver disagrees, but what the hell does he know?

:D:

Waoh. Daver and I agree on something................. :?:

hold2dibber
08-15-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by daver


This late in the season it would make sense to let Rocky stay in the bullpen where he gets more rest,but even with a shoulder that is not 100% he still has the best fastball on the staff........

:wright
"What about me?"

:kmarte
"And me?"

:butter
"And me!!!!"

RedPinStripes
08-15-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber


From my understanding (and someone who actually knows what the hell they're talking about should feel free to chime in), Jimenez isn't that great of a fielder at either position, but is probably better suited for 2B. In either event, I'm a long way away from concluding that Willie Harris is not an every day player. As I recall, Robin Ventura, Ryne Sandberg and many others started off much more horrendously than Willie has. I am not saying Willie will necessarily be a good everyday player, but I think it is way too early to tell.

Yup.

Daver
08-15-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber


:wright
"What about me?"

:kmarte
"And me?"

:butter
"And me!!!!"

They all take a backseat to the movement Biddle gets on his fastball,I am not saying he throws the hardest,I am saying he throws the best fastball on the staff.

I would expect him to be in the rotation next season.