PDA

View Full Version : My STORY from the Sox/Rangers game! LOL!

HootieMcBoob
08-14-2002, 04:45 PM
As you know, me and my dad took a trip to Dallas for Tuesday's Sox/Rangers game. We stayed at the Hilton (the same hotel the Sox stayed in) so we saw all the players walk through the lobby and get in the shuttle van and go off to the game. So my dad goes up to Gary Glover (starting pitcher for Tuesday's game), who was waiting around in the lobby, and asks him half-jokingly, "So you need a ride to the Park? We're on our way right now." Glover says, "You're leaving this early? Sure I'll go." Then we see Darrin Jackson walk through the lobby. "Hey DJ, you need a ride too?!" I asked. Next thing we know, Gary Glover and Darrin Jackson are sitting in the back of our rental car van and we are DRIVING THEM TO THE PARK!!!! I got autographs and got a picture, and we dropped them off at the player's entrance!!! Me and my dad were dying laughing, "How the HECK did we pull that off?!?!?!"

As you might know, Glover pitched 8 innings and got the win.

After the game, we saw him in the hotel lobby again and he saw us. "Thanks again for the ride, guys." "Yeah, no problem - and NICE GAME, GARY!" I said.

And to top things off, I got Magglio Ordonez to sign my brand new baseball. What a day.

Chisox_cali
08-14-2002, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by HootieMcBoob
As you know, me and my dad took a trip to Dallas for Tuesday's Sox/Rangers game. We stayed at the Hilton (the same hotel the Sox stayed in) so we saw all the players walk through the lobby and get in the shuttle van and go off to the game. So my dad goes up to Gary Glover (starting pitcher for Tuesday's game), who was waiting around in the lobby, and asks him half-jokingly, "So you need a ride to the Park? We're on our way right now." Glover says, "You're leaving this early? Sure I'll go." Then we see Darrin Jackson walk through the lobby. "Hey DJ, you need a ride too?!" I asked. Next thing we know, Gary Glover and Darrin Jackson are sitting in the back of our rental car van and we are DRIVING THEM TO THE PARK!!!! I got autographs and got a picture, and we dropped them off at the player's entrance!!! Me and my dad were dying laughing, "How the HECK did we pull that off?!?!?!"

After the game, we saw him in the hotel lobby again and he saw us. "Thanks again for the ride, guys." "Yeah, no problem - and NICE GAME, GARY!" I said.

And to top things off, I got Magglio Ordonez to sign my brand new baseball. What a day.

Man that is a great story! Really cool!

CiscoCarlos
08-14-2002, 04:52 PM
Man that's a neat thing to happen. Was Glover quiet before the game (introspective) or did he say anything interesting (like, "Geez, life has been greeeeaaat since Nardi left!"). Is DJ pretty much like what you see on TV? (i.e. amiable)

Procol Harum
08-14-2002, 04:57 PM
Outstanding! WSI People Show Initiative!

rmusacch
08-14-2002, 05:02 PM

Wonder why Glover did not take the shuttle to the game with the rest of the players.

rmusacch
08-14-2002, 05:04 PM

It would have been pretty bad if your dad would have been in an accident or something. I am surprised they would go to the game with total strangers. For all they know, you guys could have been deranged killers.

guillen4life13
08-14-2002, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

It would have been pretty bad if your dad would have been in an accident or something. I am surprised they would go to the game with total strangers. For all they know, you guys could have been deranged killers.

for all we know, you ARE deranged killers :D:

Chisox_cali
08-14-2002, 05:11 PM
Man you guys must be hardcore fans, I wouldn't know what hotel they were staying at. I wish I could have figured that out in Anaheim.

steff
08-14-2002, 05:12 PM

Wonder why Glover did not take the shuttle to the game with the rest of the players.

From what I remember, they run back and forth for about an hour there (the park isn't that far at all from the hotel). My guess is that they missed one that just left. We used to drive the guys from the hotel to the stadium in Minnesota. And sometimes they would just walk. Cleveland as well. Come to think of it.. they do it in Baltimore, too.

rmusacch
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Man you guys must be hardcore fans, I wouldn't know what hotel they were staying at. I wish I could have figured that out in Anaheim.

It is published in the media guide every year.

steff

The hotels they stay at is listed in the Media Guide.

HootieMcBoob
08-14-2002, 05:13 PM
Well, Gary was a little quiet, probably just because he was focusing mentally for the game...but we asked him stuff like, "So, how's yor arms holding up this time of year?" And he said fine and that he was glad to get the opportunity to start (something like that).

DJ was really talkative - and he was really nice, asking about what college I'm going to, etc. It's funny - I ran into him in the lobby earlier too while he was checking in, and since the Hilton supposedly has this "No autographs, leave the players alone" rule, I wasn't allowed to ask DJ for an autograph. But when he came out the 2nd time, he asked me, "So, you got a pen this time?" Anyways - I made a comment to DJ in the car, something like, "I enjoy your work on the Sox' games, but I noticed when you do the "Fox Game of the Week" games on Saturdays, you seem a lot more relaxed, funny, and more yourself."

He answered, "Well when I do Sox' games w/ Hawk, we can announce the game like Sox fans (biased broadcasting) but on Fox, I need to be objective and neutral. But working w/ Hawk - he's the main man. He's been around 20 years and he is in control. There may be some personality differences we have, but we try to work around those."

It was really cool talking to the guys - they're both really nice. I went out and watched Gary warm up in the pen and yelled out "SHUT 'EM DOWN GARY!" when he threw his last warm-up pitch.

But another thing I saw on the trip a little bit was the players personalities. The most fan-friendly players were probably Josh Paul, Aaron Rowand, Tony Graffanino and Magglio (b/c he stopped to sign my ball). Osuna is a wild man!! He was really funny, yelling at Buehrle and players on the Rangers, joking around. Buehrle and Garland hung around together and didn't say much. Willie Harris and Royce hung out a lot. Didn't even see Thomas's face. Kelly Wunsch is kind of a goofball. Man Soo Lee - that guy is great!!! He was pitching BP and couldn't throw a strike and yelled out some curse in Korean really loud! It was funny. Konerko was kind of a bum - never talked to anyone or signed anything. Same w/ Carlos. And Valentin is such a GROUCH all the time, what's wrong with him???

I also got a ball signed by Marte, Osuna, Josh Paul, Graffy, Rowand, Glover, and DJ.

steff
08-14-2002, 05:14 PM

But to make it easier on you.. they stay at the Anaheim Hilton across from Denny's, and down the street from Disney :D:

rmusacch
08-14-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by steff3603

From what I remember, they run back and forth for about an hour there (the park isn't that far at all from the hotel). My guess is that they missed one that just left. We used to drive the guys from the hotel to the stadium in Minnesota. And sometimes they would just walk. Cleveland as well. Come to think of it.. they do it in Baltimore, too.

If the stay in the same hotel they did when the Rangers played in the old Arlington Stadium, the hotel is not that far from the ballpark but you have to cross the expressway and plus at the time they are going, it is hotter than hell in Texas.

Chisox_cali
08-14-2002, 05:15 PM

But to make it easier on you.. they stay at the Anaheim Hilton across from Denny's, and down the street from Disney :D:

Thanks I'll be sure to note that next year :smile:

steff
08-14-2002, 05:16 PM
Willie Harris and Royce hung out a lot.

Oh great!! Just what the kid needs.. Royce as a role model.

Tragg
08-14-2002, 05:18 PM
Good show, Hootie. You'll get a couple of those in your lifetime, if you're lucky.

Ain't baseball great!

steff
08-14-2002, 05:19 PM

If the stay in the same hotel they did when the Rangers played in the old Arlington Stadium, the hotel is not that far from the ballpark but you have to cross the expressway and plus at the time they are going, it is hotter than hell in Texas.

They stat at the Arlington Hilton right across the street from the Six Flags entrance. I don't remember having to cross an expressway... But it was last year, and I am convinced that I'm losing my mind :D: so I could be wrong.

HootieMcBoob
Glover was going to take the shuttle, he was waiting for the next one. The shuttles run in cycles to the park back and forth...

And we must have seemed harmless...just your average Sox fan chauffeur service!!!

Chisox_cali
Well, Gary was a little quiet, probably just because he was focusing mentally for the game...but we asked him stuff like, "So, how's yor arms holding up this time of year?" And he said fine and that he was glad to get the opportunity to start (something like that).

DJ was really talkative - and he was really nice, asking about what college I'm going to, etc. It's funny - I ran into him in the lobby earlier too while he was checking in, and since the Hilton supposedly has this "No autographs, leave the players alone" rule, I wasn't allowed to ask DJ for an autograph. But when he came out the 2nd time, he asked me, "So, you got a pen this time?" Anyways - I made a comment to DJ in the car, something like, "I enjoy your work on the Sox' games, but I noticed when you do the "Fox Game of the Week" games on Saturdays, you seem a lot more relaxed, funny, and more yourself."

He answered, "Well when I do Sox' games w/ Hawk, we can announce the game like Sox fans (biased broadcasting) but on Fox, I need to be objective and neutral. But working w/ Hawk - he's the main man. He's been around 20 years and he is in control. There may be some personality differences we have, but we try to work around those."

It was really cool talking to the guys - they're both really nice. I went out and watched Gary warm up in the pen and yelled out "SHUT 'EM DOWN GARY!" when he threw his last warm-up pitch.

But another thing I saw on the trip a little bit was the players personalities. The most fan-friendly players were probably Josh Paul, Aaron Rowand, Tony Graffanino and Magglio (b/c he stopped to sign my ball). Osuna is a wild man!! He was really funny, yelling at Buehrle and players on the Rangers, joking around. Buehrle and Garland hung around together and didn't say much. Willie Harris and Royce hung out a lot. Didn't even see Thomas's face. Kelly Wunsch is kind of a goofball. Man Soo Lee - that guy is great!!! He was pitching BP and couldn't throw a strike and yelled out some curse in Korean really loud! It was funny. Konerko was kind of a bum - never talked to anyone or signed anything. Same w/ Carlos. And Valentin is such a GROUCH all the time, what's wrong with him???

I also got a ball signed by Marte, Osuna, Josh Paul, Graffy, Rowand, Glover, and DJ.

Yeah when I was at the Angels game they had some little leaguers get to walk the watning track thing, and I was standing by the Sox dugout. Garland was up on the stairs and some of the kids waved at him and he smiled and waved back and gave some of the kids high-fives and stuff. Aaron did that too, I thought that was really cool of them.

rmusacch
08-14-2002, 05:24 PM

They stat at the Arlington Hilton right across the street from the Six Flags entrance. I don't remember having to cross an expressway... But it was last year, and I am convinced that I'm losing my mind :D: so I could be wrong.

Like I said, it was several years ago.

Jerry_Manuel
08-14-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
for all we know, you ARE deranged killers :D:

Cali strikes me as a deranged killer. Especially after that series he watched in Anaheim. He would've jumped one of the players!

:porzio
Don't touch my face!

Jerry_Manuel
08-14-2002, 06:19 PM
Buehrle and Garland hung around together and didn't say much.

Mark making plans to bring Jon to the Cardinals, I'm sure.

Chisox_cali
08-14-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Cali strike me as a deranged killer. Especially after that series he watched in Anaheim. He would've jumped one of the players!

:porzio
Don't touch my face!

There would have been rally monkeys everywhere!!!!

Funny enough during the first game of the series Porzio won some kind of Cow milking contest, which was kinda funny :smile:

sox_fan_forever
08-14-2002, 09:33 PM
Thanks for sharing your story! It's so awesome. :smile:

voodoochile
08-14-2002, 10:44 PM
Great story. Baseball needs more stories like that and less of the other crap they have been concentrating on. That is why so many people think it is the greatest game, because the fans and players get to be close and there is such a relaxed atmosphere when people are warming up.

Thanks for sharing...

delben91
08-15-2002, 07:46 AM
Wow, awesome story Hootie. It's those kinds of days that just makes baseball so great. I've always been biased, but I find it hard to imagine that sort of thing happening in football or basketball. Again, thanks for sharing.

And thus, I finally become a "personality" as if I haven't had one all along. :cool:

ScottyTheSoxFan
08-15-2002, 10:58 AM
what a good story. glover was great after you gave him a ride. obviuosly you didnt give parque one. lol

soxrme
08-15-2002, 11:09 AM
good story. glad to hear some good things about baseball guys.

SI1020
08-15-2002, 01:02 PM
Glad to see you had a great experience that you can tell your grandkids. I commend your dad for sharing his love of baseball with you and showing how to have a great time the right way. Your story reminds me of two encounters I had in my younger days, one with Chuck Tanner when he managed the Sox. What a great guy and he loved to talk baseball. Another with Ron Santo that did not go so well. He seemed high strung and without a sense of humor. In his defense, he was in the midst of a slump at the time and he did give me his autograph.

doublem23
08-15-2002, 01:25 PM
Damn, that's awesome...

Much better than my Sox or baseball related stories, which either end in A) me getting kicked out of Comiskey Park or B) stupidly diving for a ducksnort, letting the ball get by me, and having the winning run score.

Now there's a scar I didn't need to rip open... LOL :)

Foulke You
08-15-2002, 07:29 PM
Good story Hootie. Perhaps you could drive Glover to the game EVERY day. He seemed to respond well to it. Did you see Hawk or Ed Farmer at the hotel?

P.S. Thanks to all for the Media Guide tip. I'll remember that for next year. I wish I'd of known that when I was in Boston. DOH!!

HootieMcBoob
08-15-2002, 08:43 PM
Yea, I saw Hawk, Farmer and Rooney too. But there was a security guard in the lobby that told me not to bother the players for autographs and not even to talk to them!!

The first person I asked to sign something was Marte, and after that the guard said no more. Osuna was there too and he's like, "gimme the ball I'll sign it, I don't care..."

But SOO many players walked right by me and I couldn't talk to them or ask them to sign anything! I was so frustrated! Like, Foulke was standing right next to me for 10 minutes, but the security guy was there too, ready to step in if
i talked to Keith. I was thinking, "WTH! This is RIDICULOUS!! Keith Foulke is standing right next to me and I can't EVEN TALK TO HIM?!?!"

When the players left I said to the guard, what's up with you man? I've seen the Sox on the road in Detroit, Boston, Minnestota, and Anaheim and had them sign things in the hotel lobby every time."

He said they signed a contract w/ the Sox to try and keep the public away from them b/c they want to "relax and not be bothered." BS.

So after the game, I knew I had one shot to get an autograph before they told me no more. I got Mag's to sign my ball, they told me to stop and I did. I got what I wanted!

So, I guess if you guys follow the Sox on the road, either avoid Hiltons, or just go to see them up close.