PDA

View Full Version : Foulke to start

OfficerKarkovice
08-14-2002, 03:07 PM
and some other stuff from the Trib:

ARLINGTON, Texas—Keith Foulke has made 333 consecutive relief appearances since coming to the White Sox in 1997. That streak could end soon.

With the 2003 rotation uncertain behind Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland and Dan Wright, the Sox are considering giving Foulke a shot in September. Even while he was among the American League's best closers, Foulke has been eager to try starting again.

Manager Jerry Manuel said he wants to use the remaining 6½ weeks of the season "to get a read" on '03 starters, beginning with Jim Parque. He said that while Foulke hasn't been prepared to start—his longest outing of the season is 22/3 innings—it might be better for him to get a chance during the regular season than next spring.

"In Arizona it's tough to ask a guy to start and get beat up every fifth day," said Manuel, who believes it's difficult to prepare a pitching staff in Tucson's hitter-friendly conditions. "The only thing now is it would be tough to get a guy stretched out during the season."

Foulke hasn't had a save since June 27. He is in the first year of a two-year contract that will pay him $6 million next season.

Foulke was a starter in San Francisco's farm system. He compiled a 32-17 record with a 3.29 ERA but failed as a starter for the Giants in 1997. He is 1-4 with a 6.99 ERA in eight career starts.

Striking back: Back in his old No. 3 spot, Frank Thomas came out swinging in Texas.

His first-inning single off rookie right-hander Joaquin Benoit snapped a 4-for-30 slump that had caused Manuel to bench him on Sunday against Seattle's James Baldwin. It keyed a two-run inning that gave Gary Glover an early lead.

While Thomas is having one of his least productive seasons ever, he is third on the team in RBIs (68) and home runs (19) and leads in walks (64).

Carlos Lee was rested Tuesday, allowing Jeff Liefer to get a start in left field. Manuel said Liefer might start at first base or in right field Wednesday, replacing Paul Konerko or Magglio Ordonez.

Standing pat: Manuel decided to stay with his rotation order, which means Parque starts Wednesday and Mark Buehrle gets two days of extra rest before going Friday in Oakland.

There had been some consideration of moving Buehrle in front of Parque to help Buehrle reach 20 victories, but the math doesn't work. He figures to get nine more starts regardless of whether he started Wednesday or Friday. The only way he would get a 10th start is if Manuel arranged the rotation for him to start every fifth day.

"If he has a chance real late for his 20th [victory] and it doesn't affect us looking at somebody else, we'll do whatever we can," Manuel said.

Iguana775
08-14-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
and some other stuff from the Trib:

well, it should be interesting. i sure hope he has been working on his other pitches he had when he was a starter. i think he had a slider and curve also but not sure. anyone know for sure??

BuehrleACE56
08-14-2002, 11:31 PM
i just hope they dont give foulke a start with just his fastball and palm ball. he needs another pitch.

RedPinStripes
08-14-2002, 11:57 PM
tinker tinker tinker.

Jerry_Manuel
08-15-2002, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
tinker tinker tinker.

Gotta pay him six million next year, might as well earn that.

Nellie_Fox
08-15-2002, 12:10 AM
tinker tinker tinker. It's not like they're tinkering with a finely-tuned machine. This season is over.

CubKilla
08-15-2002, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
It's not like they're tinkering with a finely-tuned machine. This season is over.

I know what you're saying. But, I'm tinkered out. I can't remember the last time JM started the same line-up 2 consecutive nights. Liefer's not playing so the White Sox can see how he performs on a daily basis. He's playing so the White Sox can use him as trade bait in the offseason. And how effective does JM think Foulke will be as a starter with two pitches? JM should be trying to re-establish Foulke as this teams closer and Marte as the set-up man. But nope. Tinker, tinker, tinker.....

RedPinStripes
08-15-2002, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
It's not like they're tinkering with a finely-tuned machine. This season is over.

Well that's just it. Everyone knows Foluke will never make it as a starter. I can tell what he's throwing by his delivery on tv. Just imagine what MLB batters see.

voodoochile
08-15-2002, 12:47 AM

Well that's just it. Everyone knows Foluke will never make it as a starter. I can tell what he's throwing by his delivery on tv. Just imagine what MLB batters see.

You mean Nardi didn't catch it and correct it during his great stay as Sox Pitching coach?

:nardi
"Tipping his what now? Strikes damnit, just throw strikes!"

RedPinStripes
08-15-2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

You mean Nardi didn't catch it and correct it during his great stay as Sox Pitching coach?

"Tipping his what now? Strikes damnit, just throw strikes!"

Just hide your change -up behind your ear in your delivery Keith. They'll never see it coming.

Jerry_Manuel
08-15-2002, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
JM should be trying to re-establish Foulke as this teams closer and Marte as the set-up man. But nope. Tinker, tinker, tinker.....

No he shouldn't.

You have to get your future closer ready. Foulke is gone after next season if he returns to closing and does well. If he starts and performs bad to average they can get him back for cheap.

doublem23
08-15-2002, 08:58 AM
News like this requires a tag of some guy repeatedly banging his head on the wall or shooting himself in the foot....

D'oh!

Cheryl
08-15-2002, 10:15 AM
"With the 2003 rotation uncertain behind Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland and Dan Wright, the Sox are considering giving Foulke a shot in September ."

September, guys. After the last known 'maybe we're going on strike on this date' date.

I wouldn't worry about it.

kermittheefrog
08-16-2002, 12:50 PM
PLEASE NO STRIKE! I want Foulke in the rotation!

Cheryl
08-16-2002, 12:52 PM
Too late Kerm.