PDA

View Full Version : So, The Explanation For Our Recent Upsurge Is....

Procol Harum
08-14-2002, 09:00 AM
Well, the Sox have finally pulled their collective head out of their posterior and are playing well--the bats are connecting, the pitching has improved, and the defense and baserunning gaffes have decreased. What's the best explanation?

SI1020
08-14-2002, 11:58 AM
They may never have been that good a team but they certainly were not as bad as they played. After starting out 15-7, I believe they went 17-33 in their next fifty. This is just the pendulum swinging back the other way. Plus yes the pressure is now off.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-14-2002, 12:32 PM
Given that they played well against two quality opponents this month (Anaheim and Seattle), while they couldn't do anything against two inferior opponents last month (Minnesota and Detroit) tells me this team has several chokes--both in the line up and on the bump. The managerial staff hasn't a clue either.

Konerko and Maggs in particular seem to hold the bat extra tight whenever they have a key at-bat in a key game. They need to just lighten up. As for most of our rotation, most of them are kids still learning. They'll figure it out just about the time they reach free agent status and KW trades them to a team serious about winning.

:hurt
"You Frank-haters, please don't accuse me of this. I have been THE offensive threat for division champion teams in '93, '94, and '00."

cheeses_h_rice
08-14-2002, 01:22 PM
Frank's been choking all year, PHG. How else to explain his horrible BA?

doublem23
08-14-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Not seeing the ball and his mechanics are all out of whack...

Which is probably what we should all have expected this year.

CiscoCarlos
08-14-2002, 04:47 PM
But why should Frank's mechanics be more off in clutch situation than in situations where it doesn't matter? Even Farmer noted the other day that Frank has 19 homers, but "it's a quiet 19 home runs." And he's quite a Frank supporter.

I could see the mechanics as being an issue back in May, but by this time of year that's just an alibi for people who have fond memories of Frank's greatness.

doublem23
08-14-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by CiscoCarlos
But why should Frank's mechanics be more off in clutch situation than in situations where it doesn't matter? Even Farmer noted the other day that Frank has 19 homers, but "it's a quiet 19 home runs." And he's quite a Frank supporter.

I could see the mechanics as being an issue back in May, but by this time of year that's just an alibi for people who have fond memories of Frank's greatness.

Well the whole clutch/not clutch thing maybe goes back to mental pressure Frank puts on himself... "If I get a homer here, it'll shut everyone up."

And yes, mechanics can still be a problem this late in the year. Mo Vaughn has said it took quite some time for him to find his swing again after being hurt.

The fact that Frank has 19 homers is pleasing, as I've said before. At least we know that he can still drive the ball. If he were hovering around .300 but only had a few home runs, I'd be more concerned that he just didn't have it in him any more to pound the ball. Frank's problem can be corrected in the offseason with some work, IMO.

hold2dibber
08-14-2002, 05:04 PM
Let me premise this by saying I am a huge Big Hurt supporter. I think he is a first ballot HOF'er and I thought he alone was worth the price of admission for the first seven years of his career. That said, he is, to put it politely, not so smart. Even at this stage of his career, he reminds me of the Tim Robbins character in "Bull Durham" - Frank thinks too much and when he thinks, he puts pressure on himself and gets all psyched out. I think all of his problems this year are mental; he looks so clueless up there on some swings, the only plausible rationale is he's over-thinking the situation and not just reacting. There is little doubt in my mind that he is still physically capable of being an extraordinary major league hitter - if he could just go up there with a clear mind, react to the ball and let his natural abilities take over, he would, IMHO, start knocking the ball around, left and right. A good sports psychologist is what he needs more than anything.

rmusacch
08-14-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Let me premise this by saying I am a huge Big Hurt supporter. I think he is a first ballot HOF'er and I thought he alone was worth the price of admission for the first seven years of his career. That said, he is, to put it politely, not so smart. Even at this stage of his career, he reminds me of the Tim Robbins character in "Bull Durham" - Frank thinks too much and when he thinks, he puts pressure on himself and gets all psyched out. I think all of his problems this year are mental; he looks so clueless up there on some swings, the only plausible rationale is he's over-thinking the situation and not just reacting. There is little doubt in my mind that he is still physically capable of being an extraordinary major league hitter - if he could just go up there with a clear mind, react to the ball and let his natural abilities take over, he would, IMHO, start knocking the ball around, left and right. A good sports psychologist is what he needs more than anything.

I used to think he was a first balloter, not so sure anymore.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-14-2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Like everyone else, Frank has not gotten the key hits the Sox need to win in 2002.

Unlike everyone else, Frank has a history of putting up huge numbers to lead the Sox when they are good. In 1993, 1994, and 2000, he led the Sox offense AND put up MVP-type numbers.

That was my only point.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-14-2002, 10:25 PM
I voted for the youth infusion, but I think that all those choices have something to do with it.

sox_fan_forever
08-14-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND
I think that all those choices have something to do with it.

So do I.