PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 9/3 Hawk Bailed at the Right Time Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
09-03-2014, 10:41 PM
Perhaps he knew of the ugliness that was about to transpire.

Brian26
09-03-2014, 11:10 PM
Had to get on the road for his trip back to Grainger*

*(a joke so bad, it can be used twice in the same night).

SoxSpeed22
09-03-2014, 11:13 PM
You kind of feel bad for Lindstrom, since he tried hard to get back from his injury, and he has only hurt himself some more. I will not miss these relievers.

Brian26
09-03-2014, 11:13 PM
Actually, I'm glad Hawk left early so I didn't have to hear, again, that...

"if Rodon comes up, something bad can happen, but if he doesn't come up, nothing bad can happen", along with...

"More than ever, you build your pitching staffs from the last pitch forward, instead of from the first pitch back, because if you're bullpen doesn't cover the last night outs, it doesn't matter what your starters do anyway, and the team with the best bullpen is going to win, hence why I picked Kansas City to win the division."

LoveYourSuit
09-03-2014, 11:24 PM
I am so sick of watching Danks.

I would be looking at other teams' bad contracts right now to make a swap this offseason.

The guy gets out of bed from the stretch.

JB98
09-04-2014, 12:54 AM
Some posters on this board have stated they wouldn't mind seeing Noesi back as the No. 5 starter next year.

The problem with this plan, of course, is that Noesi can't be the No. 5 starter as long as Danks is on this roster. I'm not a big Noesi fan by any means, but he's better than Danks. As long as Danks is around, Noesi is no worse than the No. 4 man in the rotation.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's reasonable to expect any more than No. 5-type production from this post-surgery Danks we are seeing now. And, with two years and $29.5 million left on a contract, he's going to be awfully hard to trade -- even if the Sox eat some money. If you were an opposing GM, would you take Danks even if the Sox were paying most of his salary? I would not.

Right now, the Sox rotation consists of an ace (Sale), a No. 2 or No. 3 type (Quintana) and three No. 5 starters. That's part of the reason this team stinks. Noesi is the best of those three No. 5s. The Sox could keep him for that role next year, but they'd have to find a way to unload Danks and add two superior pitchers to pitch in front of Noesi. That won't be easy.

jdm2662
09-04-2014, 08:59 AM
The ol Hawk sounded like he was sick last night. I don't think he left because he felt like it.

TomBradley72
09-04-2014, 09:19 AM
Right now, the Sox rotation consists of an ace (Sale), a No. 2 or No. 3 type (Quintana) and three No. 5 starters. That's part of the reason this team stinks. Noesi is the best of those three No. 5s. The Sox could keep him for that role next year, but they'd have to find a way to unload Danks and add two superior pitchers to pitch in front of Noesi. That won't be easy.

I think next year's rotation will be- Sale, Quintana, Rodon, Noesi, Danks- with the Sox possibly eating Danks' contract if he doesn't improve on his 1-4, 7.90 ERA after the All Star break this year-

Maybe Hahn uses the extra payroll in the offseason to get a veteran RH starter- and lets Noesi/Danks battle it out in spring training for the 5th starter role with the loser becoming the long man out of the bullpen.

slavko
09-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Danks's only possible role would be long man/bomb squad. He couldn't come in to a tough situation and get you some outs. And he's untradeable. But as long as there isn't a bunch of great arms trying to get on a ML roster, there's not a chance he'll be released. Prolly no chance anyway at $29M.

Zakath
09-04-2014, 12:23 PM
Danks has now tied his career high in hits surrendered in a season, with 189 given up in 168 2/3 IP (he also gave up 189 in 2010, but in 213 IP). He's never had a great WHIP ratio (career is 1.34) but he's now at 1.50, which is higher than any season since 2007. And except for a shortened 2009, he now has the lowest K/BB ratio in his career (112/64).

And he still has 4 scheduled starts left.

JB98
09-04-2014, 12:36 PM
I think next year's rotation will be- Sale, Quintana, Rodon, Noesi, Danks- with the Sox possibly eating Danks' contract if he doesn't improve on his 1-4, 7.90 ERA after the All Star break this year-

Maybe Hahn uses the extra payroll in the offseason to get a veteran RH starter- and lets Noesi/Danks battle it out in spring training for the 5th starter role with the loser becoming the long man out of the bullpen.

They better sign someone for the rotation this offseason. Doesn't have to be an ace. The Sox already have one of those. It doesn't need to be a big commitment in terms of years or dollars either, but it does need to be someone who can give you 180 to 200 innings.

We'd all love it if Rodon steps in and establishes himself next year, but I think it would be a mistake to count on it. They need to add another guy to the mix to provide some stability, because even though Noesi has had a good second half, he's still a reclamation project and the Sox are very fortunate to have gotten as much mileage out of him as they have. I think it would be a mistake to assume he's going to give the Sox the same production he's given them this season.

Foulke You
09-04-2014, 02:06 PM
They better sign someone for the rotation this offseason. Doesn't have to be an ace. The Sox already have one of those. It doesn't need to be a big commitment in terms of years or dollars either, but it does need to be someone who can give you 180 to 200 innings.
I agree. I think a right handed free agent starter has to be up there on the 2015 shopping list right next to left handed power bat. James Shields would look very nice sandwiched between Sale and Quintana but a more realistic signing might be a second tier FA pitcher like Brandon McCarthy, Jason Hammell, or perhaps even a 1 year reclamation project like Justin Masterson who might be looking to re-establish his value.

Tragg
09-04-2014, 04:04 PM
Some posters on this board have stated they wouldn't mind seeing Noesi back as the No. 5 starter next year.

The problem with this plan, of course, is that Noesi can't be the No. 5 starter as long as Danks is on this roster. I'm not a big Noesi fan by any means, but he's better than Danks. As long as Danks is around, Noesi is no worse than the No. 4 man in the rotation.

That's true if they're not trying to win. If we are, and Danks keeps pitching like this, Danks is the last man in bullpen, if not simply DFAd. They had a window to dump this guy in June and July, refused to take it (We were still in it!!!) , and the medicine must be taken.
Why not try Danks in the pen. Maybe he can Loogy. I don't see the point of continuing to wheel him out there this year - shut him down or give him some pen work.

Noesi is not a 4. He's a 5. Just like Danks was a 5, when some said 3.

soxfanreggie
09-04-2014, 04:17 PM
Danks's only possible role would be long man/bomb squad. He couldn't come in to a tough situation and get you some outs. And he's untradeable. But as long as there isn't a bunch of great arms trying to get on a ML roster, there's not a chance he'll be released. Prolly no chance anyway at $29M.

The Cubs may have a starter they'd make a trade for. He's owed $22 million over the same period and pitched for the Sox recently. The problem is Edwin Jackson is 6-14 with a 6.09 ERA and throwing much worse than Danks.

hawkjt
09-04-2014, 04:42 PM
That's true if they're not trying to win. If we are, and Danks keeps pitching like this, Danks is the last man in bullpen, if not simply DFAd. They had a window to dump this guy in June and July, refused to take it (We were still in it!!!) , and the medicine must be taken.
Why not try Danks in the pen. Maybe he can Loogy. I don't see the point of continuing to wheel him out there this year - shut him down or give him some pen work.

There is absolutely zero evidence that the Sox could have traded Danks in June or July. Some rumors floated by whomever on the web do not constitute evidence, btw.

Nobody was trading for Danks...even in his short stretch of solid pitching, he was overpaid.

Coop said today that he has to learn to pitch like MB...and that transition is not going so well yet. Guys can surprise...if they cannot move him, he might come back and have a good year, and they can move him in July with less money on his deal...it is all the Sox can do.

Tragg
09-04-2014, 07:21 PM
There is absolutely zero evidence that the Sox could have traded Danks in June or July. Some rumors floated by whomever on the web do not constitute evidence, btw.

Nobody was trading for Danks...even in his short stretch of solid pitching, he was overpaid.

Coop said today that he has to learn to pitch like MB...and that transition is not going so well yet. Guys can surprise...if they cannot move him, he might come back and have a good year, and they can move him in July with less money on his deal...it is all the Sox can do.
I don't disagree, but, for the record, there's zero evidence that they tried; there's zero evidence on any trade attempt until the trade happens.
But otherwise, sure, work with what you have. But it's not like the Sox are forced to wheel him out there every 5th next season if he pitches like this.

JB98
09-05-2014, 12:27 AM

I doubt it. Lefties hit .271 off Danks for his career. Righties hit .259. Usually, lefties with the cutter-change combo are ill-suited for LOOGY work.