PDA

View Full Version : Buerhle!!!

delben91
08-09-2001, 08:38 AM
I know I'm a little late on this, but I just got to work and saw the box score. And the conclusion I've come to is that Mark Buerhle is the shizzit!! From what I can tell, his outing last night was flat out dominant, again, and only 99 pitches. Feels good to have the ERA leader in our clubhouse. Also, now that Maggs got over the 100 HR plateau, it's looking like he's going to catch fire, and when he does that, he can carry a team. Maybe this is the beginning of a hot streak. Maybe.........

Iguana775
08-09-2001, 10:25 AM
burly is quite impressive. not only is he leading the league in ERA but also leading the MAJORS!!! in WHIP at .981. not bad for a guy drafted in the 38th round.

WHIP - MLB Leaders
Mark Buehrle, CWS .981
Randy Johnson, Ari .989
John Burkett, Atl 1.044

Soxboyrob
08-09-2001, 10:32 AM
Never in my years have I seen a guy so cool as a cucumber as a virtual rookie. Nothing riles him. He made a mental error last night and as a result, he'll actually learn from it and never make that mistake again....unlike a certain 2nd baseman.

What is amazing is that Buehrle has been doing this well lately without really getting any K's. It's extremely tough to hold a team scoreless for long without getting strikeouts. He had one K yesterday and 3 in his one hitter last weekend. That's very unusual. On the season, he still avg's 5.69 K's per 9 innings, which is decent. Last time I looked he'd given up only 5 or 6 stolen bases all year. Do you realize how exceptional that is? It's even more exceptional that he's picked more guys off base than he's allowed to steal. It's no wonder that nobody can score a cotton picking run off the guy. Way to go Mark!

Chisox353014
08-09-2001, 10:33 AM
Those stats are even more impressive when you consider that he got off to a relatively slow start this year. I don't think it's a stretch to stay that he's been the best pitcher in baseball the last 2 1/2 months.

Randar68
08-09-2001, 10:49 AM
Those stats are even more impressive when you consider that he got off to a relatively slow start this year. I don't think it's a stretch to stay that he's been the best pitcher in baseball the last 2 1/2 months.

In Mark's first 4 starts, he gave up 18 ER in 23 IP, for a 7.04 ERA (25 H, 11 BB's for a 1.57 WHIP).

Since then, in 17 starts, he is 9-3 with a 2.18 ERA (32 ER in 132 IP) (93 H, 23 BB's for a 0.879 WHIP).

Not to mention his GB:FB ratio is essentially 1:1 and his K:BB ratio is nearly 3:1.....

Pretty amazing....

voodoochile
08-09-2001, 11:03 AM
His fielding is good too. he may be the best fielding pitcher in the AL. That changes everything when you add that tall of a guy right up the middle who fields his position like a regular infielder. He is always in position after he pitches and he is always at first when he needs to be. How many 1-6-3/1-5-3 DP's has he started this year? JB started his first major league DP this year, BurlyMon has one a game it seems...

Bottom line, the things that make BurlyMon great go deeper than just his pitching. He is a complete baseball player at such a young age...

Iguana775
08-09-2001, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Since then, in 17 starts, he is 9-3 with a 2.18 ERA (32 ER in 132 IP) (93 H, 23 BB's for a 0.879 WHIP).

also, i think he had only 1 or 2 bad starts in that span. he could easily have 3 or 4 more wins if our offense would have scored some runs for him. if he keeps this up, he might get some consideration for the Cy award. with padro out, the only ones he has to worry about is Oak's 2 guys(can only recall mulder right now) and clemons. but knowing how baseball is, padro will prolly get it even though he has been out for a while.

Randar68
08-09-2001, 01:27 PM
also, i think he had only 1 or 2 bad starts in that span. he could easily have 3 or 4 more wins if our offense would have scored some runs for him. if he keeps this up, he might get some consideration for the Cy award. with padro out, the only ones he has to worry about is Oak's 2 guys(can only recall mulder right now) and clemons. but knowing how baseball is, padro will prolly get it even though he has been out for a while.

Well the writers care more about wins and contending teams than they do ERA and WHIP.

If Buehrle pitched like this on last year's team, he would have been a 20 game winner.

Is he gets to 15 or 16 wins, he will get consideration. Howvere, I have a feeling either Clemons or Hudson will win it....

Iguana775
08-09-2001, 01:29 PM
yea. i never said he could win it but he should be noticed as one of the better pitchers out there.

Randar68
08-09-2001, 01:40 PM
yea. i never said he could win it but he should be noticed as one of the better pitchers out there.

Hey, I agree with your post, just stating my overall feelings on the matter.

The only way Buehrle wins it is:

1) has 1 or 2 more CG's and a SHO or 2.
2) Gets his ERA down into the 2.5-2.6 range
3) Keeps his seasonal WHIP as the AL best.
4) Gets to 16 wins.

Not impossible, but VERY VERY tough.....

GO MARK!!!

Paulwny
08-09-2001, 01:44 PM
With Pedro out the NYC press will push hard for Clemens.

doublem23
08-09-2001, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
With Pedro out the NYC press will push hard for Clemens.

... and we can't expect any help from our local media.

:moron
Mark Buehrle? He's no Julian Tavarez or Jason Bere.

delben91
08-09-2001, 01:59 PM
Cy Young winner or not, it doesn't matter to me. The key in my mind is that Buerhle is such a solid overall pitcher at such a young age. As he gains experience, here's the scary thing, he could keep getting better. Now that would be something.

:burly
Say hello to your #1 starter.

Paulwny
08-09-2001, 02:02 PM
I agree, the best surprise of what's been a disaster season.

doublem23
08-09-2001, 02:16 PM
That is scary (for the rest of the league), that Buehrle may get better. I mean, he's only 22 years old.

:burly
Ed Walsh, eat your heart out.