PDA

View Full Version : White Sox TV Survey

roylestillman
08-20-2014, 08:28 PM
During a couple of recent broadcasts the Sox asked viewers to take an online survey focused primarily on the TV and radio broadcasts and motivation to watch a game in person. It was kind of oddly constructed, long and repetitive, but interesting as to what they were asking. Zeroed in on what you want from a broadcaster and what was important to you. Couldn't help but think that the results were going to be used for a little sit down with the crew after the season

Anybody else take it? What did you think?

amsteel
08-20-2014, 08:40 PM
Yep, repetitive and long.

I don't see anything changing in the short term but I take it as a sign there are changes coming.

I see a TV booth with AJ in it within the next 5 years.

ChiSoxGal85
08-20-2014, 08:48 PM
I quit filling it out after about the 5th screen. It felt like I was answering the same questions over and over again. But I agree that it seems the intent is trying to improve the broadcasts. I'll try to fill it out sometime when I have more patience.

Brian26
08-20-2014, 08:53 PM
Yep, repetitive and long.

I don't see anything changing in the short term but I take it as a sign there are changes coming.

I see a TV booth with AJ in it within the next 5 years.

This is probably shocking, and I can't believe I'm saying it. If the Sox told me that they were going to fire three of the four primary announcers after the season, and I had the choice of picking one to remain for 2015....guess whom I would pick?

:DJ:

He's easily the best announcer they have now. Easy to listen to...has improved 100% in the past three years.

ChiSoxFann
08-20-2014, 09:16 PM
He's easily the best announcer they have now. Easy to listen to...has improved 100% in the past three years.

Totally agree. What I like is he's actually been critical of the team at times. I remember him calling them out in the last game before the All Star break, something along the lines of some players saw that game as a nuisance prior to them heading home for the break. I still like Stone, and would love to see him with a play by play guy who doesn't ignore or disagree with everything he says.

WhiteSox5187
08-20-2014, 09:58 PM
Totally agree. What I like is he's actually been critical of the team at times. I remember him calling them out in the last game before the All Star break, something along the lines of some players saw that game as a nuisance prior to them heading home for the break. I still like Stone, and would love to see him with a play by play guy who doesn't ignore or disagree with everything he says.

Agree and I would like to see DJ paired with a decent play-by-play guy. He's had the misfortune of being paired with quite possibly the two worst play-by-play guys in all of baseball during his career with the Sox.

Noneck
08-20-2014, 10:28 PM
Harrelson, Stone and Farmio are all 65+. Ive always liked Farmer as a player and announcer, never liked Harrelson as a player or announcer, didnt like Stone as a player and he is just ok as an announcer, a little too smug for me. But it really is time to say goodbye to the old and bring in the new.

My wish list is Blackjack and Wills.

BainesHOF
08-21-2014, 01:53 AM
This is probably shocking, and I can't believe I'm saying it. If the Sox told me that they were going to fire three of the four primary announcers after the season, and I had the choice of picking one to remain for 2015....guess whom I would pick?

Yep. He's the most honest and best baseball announcer in town now.

TomBradley72
08-21-2014, 07:07 AM

Wow- I think he's absolutely horrible- almost always annoys me within a few minutes of turning the game on- almost unlistenable- but when I'm turning on the radio- usually it's my only option.

I was in northern MI a few weeks ago- so was listening to the Mariners radio crew (for a game vs. Sox) until I got into good range to hear the Sox radio team- listened to the M's crew for teh first 5 innings- then was able to get 670- so I switched-after an inning or so of DJ/Farmer- I switched back to the M's.

doublem23
08-21-2014, 07:21 AM
Wow- I think he's absolutely horrible- almost always annoys me within a few minutes of turning the game on- almost unlistenable- but when I'm turning on the radio- usually it's my only option.

I think the problem is Farmer. Singleton was terrible while he was here and as soon as he got away from Ed he blossomed into a pretty decent announcer and analyst for ESPN. Farmer was great when paired with Rooney but since he's been the #1 guy, the radio broadcasts have been brutally bad.

Farmer's got to go. Hawk really should go. DJ and Stone I could go either way with.

Maximo
08-21-2014, 08:13 AM
Years ago one of the networks tried an experiment where they televised a football game without announcers. Just the sound of the crowd, PA system, etc.

Only did it once to my knowledge. However with J.R.'s propensity for saving money, I say it's worth a shot on the TV side here. No 'play by play' announcer at all has got to be better than Ken Harrelson.

Procol Harum
08-21-2014, 10:03 AM
Farmer is awful beyond words and MUST go. DJ is ok--he has improved his game since leaving the TV booth and getting out of Hawk's shadow, but he's still no great shakes. I used to like Hawk but his act has gotten tiresome and it's very clear that he should move on. I like Stone--I think with another play-by-play man he would be alright.

Listened to Dave Wills a couple of times while down in FL recently: he would be a tremendous step up from Farmer.

roylestillman
08-21-2014, 10:07 AM
Years ago one of the networks tried an experiment where they televised a football game without announcers. Just the sound of the crowd, PA system, etc.

Only did it once to my knowledge. However with J.R.'s propensity for saving money, I say it's worth a shot on the TV side here. No 'play by play' announcer at all has got to be better than Ken Harrelson.

Anybody remember the Sox experiment where they put an "alternative" set of announcers on the SAP channel. It was pretty interesting.

smac38
08-21-2014, 10:48 AM
It's nice that they're trying to gauge people's opinions, but does any of it really matter? If 100% of people said they refuse to watch games only because of Hawk, you know they wouldn't do anything about it. The only 2 who could possibly be relieved of their duties(Stone and DJ) are the only 2 worth listening to.

Seems like a smoke screen to "show they care."

DSpivack
08-21-2014, 04:44 PM

On one sports broadcaster I think this is still possible, at least if you have a stereo setup. The announcer feed is only on the center channel, so if you mute that but keep the rest you have the ambient crowd noise, but no announcers. I forget if it's ESPN, NBC, or whom that does it.

Sox
08-21-2014, 10:53 PM
Bring back "Wimpy."

soxnut67
08-21-2014, 11:12 PM
Bring back "Wimpy."
:gulp

If they make changes. Please don't bring anyone in who sounds likecthe just graduated broadcasting school! Bub bub dubba dubba.......

WSox597
08-22-2014, 07:18 AM
I agree with the Hawk has to go contingent. His act wore thin with me years ago. I don't mind Stone at all.

Farmer is beyond brutal, he's easily the worst announcer I've ever heard on the radio. If you want to know about Notre Dame, golf, or St. Rita HS he's your man. Otherwise, not so much.

I'm not a golfer, and don't care about ND. Who cares what HS you went to, it means nothing in the real world. It only matters when you're still attending whatever school it is.

Farmer and DJ need to tell us what the score is more often, you have to listen to their schtick too long to get a score if you're not listening to the whole game. And I can't listen to an entire game due to the radio team.

Of the two, DJ is much better. He's not obnoxious, unlike his partner. Man, I miss Rooney on the radio.

I like Paciorek, too. He's a lot of fun to listen to, and after all, baseball is a game. It should be fun to watch and or listen to, not a torture test.

McDowell would be pretty good, too. It's time for a change, no doubt about it.

XplodingScorbord
08-22-2014, 08:38 AM
Just as an aside, I watched the Cubs game Wednesday night. Well, maybe the first six innings or so. Anyway, Hawk and Stoney are riveting compared to those two guys. So boring.

Maximo
08-22-2014, 08:45 AM
It's nice that they're trying to gauge people's opinions, but does any of it really matter? If 100% of people said they refuse to watch games only because of Hawk, you know they wouldn't do anything about it. The only 2 who could possibly be relieved of their duties(Stone and DJ) are the only 2 worth listening to.

Seems like a smoke screen to "show they care."

Maybe there's something to this. Management would have to be pretty blind not to notice the level of discontent with Harrelson and Farmer.
I don't sense a loyalty among listeners to either of these guys. It's not the same as "growing up" with Ernie Harwell doing the Tiger games, or Scully with the Dodgers or, for that matter, Harry Carey in his prime with the Cardinals. This franchise needs to continue to "re-energize" both on and off the field. There have to be two younger, contemporary baseball announcers out there who can help assemble the next generation of White Sox fans.

russ99
08-22-2014, 09:09 AM
I'm of the mindset that Hawk is a treasure and deserves to be here as long as he wants. He's worn thin on some people, but he's pretty much the same as when he was younger, compared to how Harry became a shell of himself in the later years on the North Side.

And really, if we're changing the TV announcers, Stone is the one who should go. He just doesn't fit in here. He's making Hawk look worse than he is.

I'd love to see Hawk and Wimpy get another run for a few years.

A.J. would be a great replacement when Hawk decides to hang it up, but I see him managing before too long.

beasly213
08-22-2014, 09:20 AM
Not a big Stone fan, I think he's overrated and a little boring. Not a DJ fan at all. Every single broadcast it seems he brings up playing in Japan.. Then he does weird noises and bad impressions that are cringe worthy.

I also think it's time Hawk is phased out over the next year. Have him do only home games or something. I used to love Hawk and still love hearing "You can put it on the board yes!" but his constant ragging on umpires, saying "this person is the best I ever saw at insert position here" and rambling about TWTW is getting old.

I'd love it if the Sox could pry Dave Wills away from Tampa. I think he's the best play by play guy in baseball today.

skobabe8
08-22-2014, 10:36 AM
Dave Wills has to be brought back. The problem with that is there has to be an opening and how is that going to happen? Hawk aint retiring. He's "only" 72 and sees Vin Scully still going strong at 86. Farmer aint going anywhere. I thought he was wonderful as the color guy, but play-by-play he stinks.

Somehow, Hawk has to be gently eased into retirement. Wills and Stone on TV. Get a real pbp guy paired with DJ or Farmer for radio.

Milw
08-22-2014, 10:42 AM
I'm of the mind that Hawk's role needs to be reduced, but I think he's earned the right to go out on his terms. If that means he does only home games, or he sits out the middle innings, then so be it. The transition needs to start, but I don't think you go cold turkey unless that's what he wants.

Farmer is terrible and has not earned the icon status that Hawk has, so he can walk tomorrow as far as I'm concerned.

I'd like to see the Sox hire a professional broadcaster to pair with Stone, and pay whatever ransom is necessary to put Dave Wills in the radio booth (with DJ or whomever).

hawkjt
08-22-2014, 12:02 PM
I'm of the mind that Hawk's role needs to be reduced, but I think he's earned the right to go out on his terms. If that means he does only home games, or he sits out the middle innings, then so be it. The transition needs to start, but I don't think you go cold turkey unless that's what he wants.

Farmer is terrible and has not earned the icon status that Hawk has, so he can walk tomorrow as far as I'm concerned.

I'd like to see the Sox hire a professional broadcaster to pair with Stone, and pay whatever ransom is necessary to put Dave Wills in the radio booth (with DJ or whomever).

Agree. Hawk in smaller doses might be easier to take.
Farmer stinks.
Stone is ok.
DJ? on the fence.

cub killer
08-23-2014, 08:10 AM
I have no problems with things the way they are. I love Hawk's homerism and passion. He really loves the Sox and hates our opposition. I respect that, it's fun. It's only a game, why not have fun with it? Stone Pony complements him well, IMO. I want them to stay, and if they can add AJ to that booth, it would be great. Who knows when AJ will hang em up tho.

Farmio and DJ seemed ok on the radio the few times I listened, but those were very few times, so Idk.

Maximo
08-23-2014, 08:31 AM

I understand that Harrelson's longetivity and loyalty have earned him the right to a "graceful exit". Just as long as he understands that the emphasis needs to be on the word, "exit". I'm inclined to think that the decision is a long way down the road, if left up to him.

skobabe8
08-23-2014, 10:04 AM
I have no problems with things the way they are. I love Hawk's homerism and passion. He really loves the Sox and hates our opposition. I respect that, it's fun. It's only a game, why not have fun with it? Stone Pony complements him well, IMO. I want them to stay, and if they can add AJ to that booth, it would be great. Who knows when AJ will hang em up tho.

Farmio and DJ seemed ok on the radio the few times I listened, but those were very few times, so Idk.

My counter argument to that is his "love" clouds his objectivity, so he often says things that are not honest. It ruins his credibility. And to me it's not a fun broadcast when I'm being lied to.

chisoxfanatic
08-23-2014, 10:36 AM
Do you have a link to the survey? I would like to do it. I'm back and settled from a 17 day trip to Ontario.

Bobby Thigpen
08-23-2014, 12:12 PM
Hawk has gotten really bad the last few years, but I think that has as much to do with DJ and Stone as it does Hawk. I liked Stone with the Cubs and was excited when the Sox got him. He has been terrible with the Sox IMO. When Wimpy is back with Hawk the broadcasts are fun and I actually enjoy watching them. With Stone, I don't think I've watched a full game on TV in four years. It's soul sucking. If partnered with the right guy I think Hawk could still be decent at worst. He and Stone aren't that partnership.

And I don't listen to the radio because Farmer has always been a train wreck and then making the PBP only compounded it by 1000 times.

MUsoxfan
08-23-2014, 02:00 PM
Stone would be better if he had any respect at all for his PBP guy. Stone and Wimpy worked well together

Farmer is a disaster. If you flip on 670 in the middle of the game with no idea what's going on, it takes several minutes to get an idea of it. He also shows the same amount of enthusiasm for a HR as he does for a lazy fly. He paints a very poor picture of what's going on.

shingo10
08-23-2014, 02:05 PM
In fairness to all of the announcers on the South and North sides, they've had to call games that would be hard to stomach if it was little league let alone professional baseball. The past few years have not been kind to them.

When some decent baseball comes back to Chicago hopefully the announcing will improve.

soxfanreggie
08-23-2014, 02:19 PM
Stone would be better if he had any respect at all for his PBP guy. Stone and Wimpy worked well together

Farmer is a disaster. If you flip on 670 in the middle of the game with no idea what's going on, it takes several minutes to get an idea of it. He also shows the same amount of enthusiasm for a HR as he does for a lazy fly. He paints a very poor picture of what's going on.

I agree! I would love to see Stone and Wimpy together while the Sox figure out the PBP guy of the future. Our radio though is just awful. Both guys are boring and very hard to listen to. Sadly I often turn on my MLB radio feed and listen to the other team's broadcasters. I compare listening to our radio team to watching paint dry. As bad as I think Farmer is though, DJ is worse. I couldn't stand Santo with the Cubs, and I'd prefer him over DJ. DJ is a very nice guy but they need to cut him loose. I'm sure there is an ambassador role they could have for him. Doing so I have to think would greatly improve our radio ratings.

KingXerxes
08-23-2014, 10:15 PM
Harrelson should have been shown the door a long long time ago.

soxfanreggie
08-23-2014, 11:06 PM
Harrelson should have been shown the door a long long time ago.

It's great that we have a loyal organization, but there are times we are too loyal to the point where we probably hurt the organization. Media - both TV and radio - are an important part of keeping fans engaged with the team. If they dislike listening to the announcers, it hurts the overall program.

StillMissOzzie
08-24-2014, 04:30 PM
In fairness to all of the announcers on the South and North sides, they've had to call games that would be hard to stomach if it was little league let alone professional baseball. The past few years have not been kind to them.

When some decent baseball comes back to Chicago hopefully the announcing will improve.

While both sides of town have had a boatload of crappy baseball lately, I respectfully disagree. I think Pat Hughes does an admirable job for the Cubs on the radio. I'd love to have a professional radio voice like him or John Rooney back with the Sox. I find it hard to listen to Farmer, and it is when I have little choice in the matter - in the car.

SMO
:gulp:

Boondock Saint
08-24-2014, 04:42 PM
I'm not carrying a pitchfork and torch or anything, but Hawk routinely makes me turn off the game now. I'm sure the team being good would help make enduring him worthwhile, but as things are now, I prefer to just not watch the games at all.

soxfanreggie
08-24-2014, 06:50 PM
While both sides of town have had a boatload of crappy baseball lately, I respectfully disagree. I think Pat Hughes does an admirable job for the Cubs on the radio. I'd love to have a professional radio voice like him or John Rooney back with the Sox. I find it hard to listen to Farmer, and it is when I have little choice in the matter - in the car.

SMO
:gulp:

I bet I'd listen to 125+ games on the radio if Rooney was back calling them here for the Sox.

Hawk turns 73 in a few days and Farmer 65. While some guys in baseball broadcast for many years past that, hopefully the Sox are making some plans here to start freshening things up. Eventually I think Hawk will say something that he gets suspended from or taken off the air. I know Hawk wants to "die in the booth" but he may have to decide to retire before that.

Brian26
08-24-2014, 07:05 PM
Our radio though is just awful. Both guys are boring and very hard to listen to. Sadly I often turn on my MLB radio feed and listen to the other team's broadcasters

I have the MLB At-Bat app and listen to other games when the Sox are not on. Although the sentiment seems to be that the Sox have announcers at the bottom of the spectrum, I find that generally the other announcers are just as bad, if not worse. I enjoy Uecker on the Brewers broadcasts. The Seattle guys are good. I've learned to enjoy Charlie Steiner and Bill Russell for the Dodgers, although they never really acknowledge each other. There are some terrible announcers out there though. Listen to the Padres broadcast some time. The guy doing it sounds like he's doing an SNL character. Rooney is still great with the Cards, but Mike Shannon is brutal. The Royals announcers are bad. I listed to a bit of the Twins games today. They were ok-- they have Cory Provus (sp) who I believe used to fill-in on WGN.

SI1020
08-24-2014, 08:00 PM
Just as an aside, I watched the Cubs game Wednesday night. Well, maybe the first six innings or so. Anyway, Hawk and Stoney are riveting compared to those two guys. So boring. I've been bashing the Cubs TV announcers for years. The reaction I get is the sound of crickets. They are mind numbing in their ability to bore. Just awful. Is this what some Sox fans mean when they call for Hawk's scalp in favor of a "professional" announcer?

DSpivack
08-24-2014, 10:22 PM
I have the MLB At-Bat app and listen to other games when the Sox are not on. Although the sentiment seems to be that the Sox have announcers at the bottom of the spectrum, I find that generally the other announcers are just as bad, if not worse. I enjoy Uecker on the Brewers broadcasts. The Seattle guys are good. I've learned to enjoy Charlie Steiner and Bill Russell for the Dodgers, although they never really acknowledge each other. There are some terrible announcers out there though. Listen to the Padres broadcast some time. The guy doing it sounds like he's doing an SNL character. Rooney is still great with the Cards, but Mike Shannon is brutal. The Royals announcers are bad. I listed to a bit of the Twins games today. They were ok-- they have Cory Provus (sp) who I believe used to fill-in on WGN.

The worst announcing crew I've ever heard--or perhaps just the most obnoxious--was the Diamondbacks a couple years ago when Mark Grace was a color guy or the 3rd man in the booth. A totally brotastic and completely incompetent gigglefest.

BainesHOF
08-24-2014, 11:27 PM
I've been bashing the Cubs TV announcers for years. The reaction I get is the sound of crickets. They are mind numbing in their ability to bore. Just awful. Is this what some Sox fans mean when they call for Hawk's scalp in favor of a "professional" announcer?

I agree with you with the exception of Hughes. He's not critical of anything, though that's not really his job as the play-by-play guy. That's why I put Jackson ahead of him. Jackson is the only guy in town who calls it like he sees it regardless of the uniform. Hughes, though, is very solid at what he does and seems to really enjoy being at the ballpark, which earns extra points considering all the garbage he's had to announce.

Len Kasper is incredibly overrated. He's a nice guy, but he's such a company man and boring on top of that.

The other two Cubs announcers aren't even worth commenting on.

Dan H
08-25-2014, 08:54 AM
Broadcast changes are long overdue. I prefer some real professionals who have some knowledge of what they are doing. And I would also prefer no ex-Sox players. Enough already.

FielderJones
08-25-2014, 11:58 AM
And I would also prefer no ex-Sox players. Enough already.

I would have no problem whatsoever with AJ Pierzynski doing Sox broadcasting in any capacity.

DeadMoney
08-25-2014, 12:41 PM
I'm not carrying a pitchfork and torch or anything, but Hawk routinely makes me turn off the game now. I'm sure the team being good would help make enduring him worthwhile, but as things are now, I prefer to just not watch the games at all.

I've previously stayed away from posting in this thread because I couldn't quite articulate what you were able to. This is exactly how I feel about watching games now.

tebman
08-25-2014, 01:04 PM
John Rooney was far and away the best play-by-play guy the Sox had in my lifetime, and that includes Lorn Brown and Jack Brickhouse, who were both very good. I wish he would've stuck around after 2005 but that didn't work out and he's not coming back.

As for the current broadcasters, I agree that Harrelson is often tiresome and Stone is pedantic. But then I listen to some other teams' broadcasters and find my mind wandering because they're so dull. Dave Wills would be a great fit, but he's committed to Tampa Bay and I don't realistically see any openings for him here.

I may be in the minority, but I actually enjoy listening to Farmer and Jackson on the radio. Farmer's monotone can be tedious but it's offset by Jackson's back-and-forth with him as they talk.

The main problem is the current team. I don't know if a carnival barker and a dancing bear could make this team sound exciting.

Milw
08-26-2014, 11:05 AM
I may be in the minority, but I actually enjoy listening to Farmer and Jackson on the radio. Farmer's monotone can be tedious but it's offset by Jackson's back-and-forth with him as they talk.

My main beef with Farmer -- aside from his irritating obsession with Notre Dame and St. Rita -- is his (and Jackson's) inability or unwillingness to keep me informed about the game they're describing (aka their primary job). If you turn on the game in the middle of an inning, there's a better than average chance that you'll have to wait until the end of the inning to find out what the score is and what inning it is. If you're lucky, they might mention the count and/or who is batting or pitching.

I'd like Farmer gone if for no other reason than I'm tired of yelling at my radio, "JUST TELL ME THE GODDAMN SCORE!"

TomBradley72
08-26-2014, 11:30 AM
Someone should set up a Farmer/DJ "bingo" card-

DJ mentions playing in Japan
Farmer mentions St. Rita
Farmer mentions Notre Dame
DJ does some weird voice impression
Farmer mentions organ donation
Farmer/DJ have a conversation unrelated to the game during a critical situation late in the game
etc.

Procol Harum
08-26-2014, 12:36 PM
Don't forget Farmer's fascinating explanations of California geography and freeway structure at every possible opportunity presented by a player's hometown, etc. ...

Someone should set up a Farmer/DJ "bingo" card-

DJ mentions playing in Japan
Farmer mentions St. Rita
Farmer mentions Notre Dame
DJ does some weird voice impression
Farmer mentions organ donation
Farmer/DJ have a conversation unrelated to the game during a critical situation late in the game
etc.

soxrme
08-27-2014, 03:21 PM
I think the problem is Farmer. Singleton was terrible while he was here and as soon as he got away from Ed he blossomed into a pretty decent announcer and analyst for ESPN. Farmer was great when paired with Rooney but since he's been the #1 guy, the radio broadcasts have been brutally bad.

Farmer's got to go. Hawk really should go. DJ and Stone I could go either way with.
I agree about Farmer, he is God awful. I like DJ and Stone in the spots they are in now. We need new play by play guys.

Maximo
08-27-2014, 04:41 PM
I believe the Sox are in desperate need of a couple of broadcasters who can "energize" the fanbase while the team on the field continues to evolve into something that makes us excited and proud once again. With the Cubs floundering, we had an opportunity the past several years to stake a claim as the most popular baseball team in Chicago. But the team not only didn't win, they often looked as if they weren't even trying. To compound the situation, the lack of effort on the field was exacerbated by the lack of excitement coming out of the broadcast booth. Losing record.....no excitement......owner who is reluctant to take risks....half-filled stands. Round and round we go. We're like the dog who's chasing his own tail.

When Harry Carey left the Sox to head up to the northside, he was past his prime. But the Cubs hired him to do one thing......put butts in the seats. Like him or not, that's exactly what he did and the Sox have been 'little brother" in this town ever since.

I am not advocating hiring a comedian, an actor, or a "pitchman". But until this ownership puts a product out there that competes perenially day in/day out , please , for the love of God, find some people that can help sell the product to the next generation of fans.

SephClone89
02-27-2015, 04:40 PM
Anyone get their code for free tickets from this survey?

Lemon44
02-27-2015, 05:23 PM
Nope.

anewman35
03-10-2015, 03:46 PM
I just asked the Sox, they told me the code would come next week.

SephClone89
03-17-2015, 08:49 AM

Thanks...hope it comes soon...I'd like the game I want to actually have tickets available.

In the past we've always gotten these codes before they even went on-sale.

SephClone89
03-20-2015, 08:17 AM

Friday and still nothing!

anewman35
03-20-2015, 01:12 PM
Friday and still nothing!

Yep. I'll follow up with them...