PDA

View Full Version : When will Foulke be the closer?

basilesox
08-13-2002, 06:16 PM
I thought that I read in the Sun Times that Manuel was going to make Foulke the closer again. I think that this needs to happen soon. Does anybody else think that Osuna is a horrible closer. A closer isnt supposed to nibble around the strike zone and walk a bunch of people. A closer needs to come in and strike people out. Osuna should come in when nobody is on base to protect the lead, not when people are already in position to close. Marte is a superb set up man.............Also I think Simas should get another shot in the bigs.. i still remember his solid performance in 2000. Just wondering if anybody else agrees, I get nervous whenever that fat ### comes in. (OSUNA)

Daver
08-13-2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by basilesox
I thought that I read in the Sun Times that Manuel was going to make Foulke the closer again. I think that this needs to happen soon. Does anybody else think that Osuna is a horrible closer. A closer isnt supposed to nibble around the strike zone and walk a bunch of people. A closer needs to come in and strike people out. Osuna should come in when nobody is on base to protect the lead, not when people are already in position to close. Marte is a superb set up man.............Also I think Simas should get another shot in the bigs.. i still remember his solid performance in 2000. Just wondering if anybody else agrees, I get nervous whenever that fat ### comes in. (OSUNA)

I would rather see Marte than Foulke,I have seen no evidence that Foulke is back to be the closer he once was,and I don't think he ever will without developing a third pitch he can throw for a strike on a consistent basis.

Osuna,has at times,come in and been effective,but he is also coming back from shoulder surgery,I am not ready to dismiss him entirely.

And ASS is not a filtered word,you can use the phrase Fatass. :redneck

hold2dibber
08-13-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by basilesox

I would much rather have Foulke closing than Osuna. I like Marte a lot, but am not certain that he can get right handed hitters out on a consistent-enough basis to succeed as a full-time closer. As to Simas - I'd love to see him get another shot, but do not pretend to know enough about how strong his stuff is to say that he should or will make it back.

basilesox
08-13-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

I would much rather have Foulke closing than Osuna. I like Marte a lot, but am not certain that he can get right handed hitters out on a consistent-enough basis to succeed as a full-time closer. As to Simas - I'd love to see him get another shot, but do not pretend to know enough about how strong his stuff is to say that he should or will make it back.

I just go by the numbers.........I looked up his numbers in AAA and I thought that they really werent that bad. Also, How was Foulke so dominant before, did people just learn how to hit him. I dont quite understand

Chisox_cali
08-13-2002, 06:30 PM
I think the real question here is when is Royce Ring gonna be the closer :smile:

Really though I like Foulke and Marte. Kmarte has been solid all season, and as of recently Foulke has been solid, So it's definately between those two. I still don't feel 100% comfortable with either of them right now.

WillieHarris12
08-13-2002, 06:35 PM
Leave Foulke in the past for now, he seems to be doing well as a MR. I would like to see Manuel use Marte more as closer. Most of the times he pitches he is lights out.

basilesox
08-13-2002, 06:57 PM
Yeah Marte is solid, I get upset because even if he lets a runner on...............He gets charged with the run, because Osuna lets him in.(he's in my fantasy league) Marte couldnt possibly do worse than Osuna against righties.

Jerry_Manuel
08-13-2002, 07:07 PM
There's something new everyday when it comes to the closer's role.

One day Ginter is being groomed, then Osuna, then Marte, then Ring.....and the list goes on.

Just hope whoever gets the ball in the 9th shuts the door.

Iguana775
08-13-2002, 07:08 PM
and the funny thing is that people laughed their asses off when i mentioned marte as a closer a few months back....

Mathew
08-13-2002, 08:53 PM
Aren't closers usually righties? Is there any reason other than more right handed arms?

duke of dorwood
08-14-2002, 07:37 AM
Foulke, probably a potential waiver deal, will stay in his current role, as long as he's doing well there, and becomes an attractive trade possibility. They are not going to give him a chance to fail on a higher profile spot like closer as long as they can possibly unload the salary. By the way, I dont like Osuna either.

hold2dibber
08-14-2002, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Foulke, probably a potential waiver deal, will stay in his current role, as long as he's doing well there, and becomes an attractive trade possibility. They are not going to give him a chance to fail on a higher profile spot like closer as long as they can possibly unload the salary. By the way, I dont like Osuna either.

Actually, in today's Trib, Manuel is quoted as saying that they're going to try to get Foulke some starts before the end of the year. It certainly seems like they're prepared to live with someone else as closer (Osuna, Marte, Ring, Almonte, Valentine, etc., etc.) and I assumed that that meant they were going to dump Foulke and his salary. But Manuel's comments make it sound like they're at least going to see what he can do as a starter before giving up on him completely. Maybe they've found little interest in him via trade and have decided not to just give up on a guy who has, until this year, been awesome.

LongDistanceFan
08-14-2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
I think the real question here is when is Royce Ring gonna be the closer :smile:

did anybody read the article in BA about luke haggerty. the sCrubs sandwich pick. the one i was hoping that the sox will pick up. damn, it just add to the already powerful arsenal that they have......... ugh.

Dadawg_77
08-14-2002, 09:05 AM
Foulke is a much better pitcher then Osuna. Osuna just isn't that good, and shouldn't be used in close games. Marte looks good, but can fall apart sometimes.

The two papers differ on what is going to happen to Foulke, so I guess just sit back and see who has better sources.