PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Sox Fan Article Of All Time!!!!!

Jerry_Manuel
08-09-2001, 08:30 AM
(Ok maybe not of all time that might be saying to much but this is how must people feel about the Cubs and someone in the media got the balls to write it. So kick back and enjoy I know I did!)

Paul Ladewski/Commentary
First in standings, last in class
Thursday, August 9, 2001
Darn the White Sox if they didn't try to warn them. Darn team leader Jose Valentin, bless him, if he didn't try to do the Cubs a big favor.

Because when Valentin mimicked Sammy Sosa and the Cubs at the Wrigley Field Bar and Grill last month, he actually performed a public service. The message was as obvious as the glazed look on Steve McMichael's sorry puss the other night: They were a team too full of itself, one that needed to be brought back to Earth before it was too late.

To judge by the civic embarrassment that took place Tuesday night, the Cubs still can't take the hint.

Certainly, you have seen the lowlights by now. Former Bears meathead Steve McMichael performed the seventh-inning toast, but not before he could have touched off a riot in the heat of the night. With seven or eight beers by his count already in his big belly, Mongo lit into home-plate umpire Angel Hernandez for an apparent missed call an inning earlier.

Lucky for the Cubs that Hernandez lived up to his first name. Because if I'm an ump, the Cubs don't win another regular-season game until the Bears do.

"I just said I was going to have speaks with the umpire after the game," explained McMope, hardly the first such guest to perform half-cocked. "I didn't threaten to kick his (bleep)."

You know, sort of like the Washington Redskins did to Mongo and the Bears in playoffs past.

Whether Hernandez blew the call isn't the point. The point is that an organization that hasn't won in 93 years may be in first place at the moment, but it still doesn't have the foggiest as to what it takes to act like a winner.

Team management can absolve itself of any blame for the brainless incident, but really now, what does it expect when it hands a live microphone to a hot air balloon whose life motto is, "I don't give a rat's (behind)?" Shouldn't the seventh-inning toast be monitored by a seven-second delay button?

Personally, I can't wait to see the list of drunks and sleazeballs who will be invited to make rear ends out of themselves and the organization and the game in the future. Ben Affleck? Tom Greene? Steve Mancow? Who better than Howard Stern to turn the other check in public?

Know what? Thousands of Cubs fans would love to be the butt end of another joke.

As Sox first baseman Paul Konerko put it the other day, "Fans come to Comiskey Park to watch the game. They appreciate good baseball, and when you don't play good baseball, they'll let you know about that, too. But most people go to Wrigley Field to see how many bars they can hit before and after the game. Wrigley Field is more of a tourist attraction than anything else."

Only Cubs fans are more annoying than Matthew Lesko these days. And as St. Louis manager Tony La Russa observed two weeks ago, a few Cubs players rank a close second.

Take the Sosa sideshow. Please. I can live with the exaggerated hop, skip and jump out of the batter's box on tape-measure home runs. But, c'mon, are the theatrics necessary on 300-foot fly balls? (Pssst, Sammy, if you're not sure how to act, then take a look at old game films of your hero Roberto Clemente, OK?)

Then there's Julian Tavarez. If the guy doesn't run out ground balls, then he glares at opponents or talks trash, or both. This may explain why the Human Hand Grenade has played for seven different minor and major league teams in the past six years, you think?

Yet perhaps the biggest disappointment of all is none other than Manager Don Baylor, who has gone from Baylor Bear to teddy bear right before our very eyes this summer.

Remember, the job of the marketing honchos is to milk every last dollar out of Wrigley Field, even if they have to turn it into The Mongo Freak Show. But if any one person in the organization is expected to be above the crowd, it's Baylor, formerly a tough sonofagun who oozed mental and physical discipline as a player himself.

If anybody had embarrassed his team or the game in his time, Baylor would have reacted faster than water on sand. But now? Too often the skipper is softer than Bounty, a guy who offers lame excuses for his pitcher and doesn't have the nerve to tell his best player to cool it. Heck, Baylor was so out of breath, so emotionally spent the other night that maybe somebody needs to tell HIM to chill.

At any rate, lost in the nonsense was the fact that staff anchor Kerry Wood will miss at least one start because of tendinitis in his right rotator cuff. If Jose Valentin and the Sox can't get through the Cubs' bloated heads, then maybe, just maybe, the baseball gods can.

duke of dorwood
08-09-2001, 08:48 AM
I'd read that under oath. :manos

LuvChiSox
08-09-2001, 09:53 AM
Hey, great post! Where did you get this article?!

Chisox353014
08-09-2001, 09:56 AM
Where did you find that article? I'm guessing the Daily Southtown?

delben91
08-09-2001, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I saw it too, it's in the southtown.

Cubbie pride. (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/091sd4.htm)

Jerry_Manuel
08-09-2001, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by LuvChiSox
Hey, great post! Where did you get this article?!

The Daily SouthTown

You can go to www.dailysouthtown.com to read the article.

Jerry_Manuel
08-09-2001, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
Where did you find that article? I'm guessing the Daily Southtown?

You guessed right!