PDA

View Full Version : Frank's Swing

Dadawg_77
08-13-2002, 01:24 PM
Did anyone else catch this in the sun times yesterday, while poking their heads out of the drag out fight in the parking lot? I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

My own, are this slump is more mental then anything else, and Frank might need to just scrap everything he has been doing and get back to the basics. If you ever seen the movie the "Fan", there is one line where Snipes was asked how did you get out of a horrible slump, his response was "He stopped caring". Maybe that is what Frank needs to do, just stop caring and or thinking about whether he hits the ball or not and just let the swing come naturally.

FRANKLY SPEAKING: Manuel didn't start Frank Thomas on Sunday, looking to help his psyche as much as his current 0-for-11 slump. Before that, Thomas hit home runs in consecutive games against Anaheim on Wednesday and Thursday to end an 0-for-8 stretch. Thomas is hitting .237 overall, reflecting a .232 month of July, a .212 June and a .260 May.

He still has productive home-run (19) and RBI (68) numbers, but he clearly isn't himself at the plate. Jeff Liefer was the starting designated hitter in Thomas' place.

"I want to give him a chance to inhale a little and get away from it,'' Manuel said. "I've always said and I believe that a guy never stops learning hitting, and I think that holds true with a guy like Frank Thomas. If you're physically able to adjust, I don't think you ever stop learning.

"Frank has such a unique style and so much discipline, when pitchers adjusted to him, it's difficult to adjust [back]. One of Frank's assets was, he was disciplined and stubborn in his approach. Frank has been a disciple of Walt Hriniak, and that was that a ball down and away, you drive to right. That put him in good position to hit the other [inside] pitches. Now the league is pitching him inside, and he's somewhat wavering. He doesn't know whether to go out after that [outside] pitch or stay back, and he's getting caught in the middle.''

Thomas missed almost all of last season after suffering a torn triceps in late April. After entering Sunday's contest as a pinch hitter in the eighth, he has appeared in 111 of the Sox' 119 games but has had only 23 multihit games.

Thomas' longest hitting streak this year is seven games, achieved in May.
from Monday Aug 12 Edition of the Chicago Sun Times

RedPinStripes
08-13-2002, 01:29 PM
He's been a strange guy to follow this year. As soon as you think the frank of old is back, he hits a slump.

duke of dorwood
08-13-2002, 02:13 PM
How about a hypnotist?

doublem23
08-13-2002, 03:29 PM
I think Frank's biggest problem (wow, here's a shocker for you), is that he's just getting used to seeing the ball and reacting to it again.

Granted, his average is down, which, yes, does suck, but the fact that he has 19 homers is reassuring to me. This is telling me that he is still physically capable of connecting and driving the ball, he's just still having problems with his mechanics and what not, which is a much more fixable problem.

If Frank's BA was hovering around .300 but he only had a couple of homers and doubles by now, I'd be more worried about the possibility of him returning into full form. That'd tell me that, while he's being able to pick up the ball, his body is no longer physically able to drive it 400 feet or so...

I dunno, just a thought...

Unregistered
08-13-2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
there is one line where Snipes was asked how did you get out of a horrible slump, his response was "He stopped caring"

That Wesley Snipes always is a veritable FOUNTAIN of baseball knowledge. i remember that one year where he hit .000 ...

Dadawg_77
08-13-2002, 05:08 PM
Hey, just because it was a movie doesn't mean it doesn't have a point. Have you ever try to do something but it was impossible since you were thinking about it to much? The quote means, just let it come naturally, don't force it. Frank looks like he is forcing it at the plate.

Soxboyrob
08-13-2002, 06:25 PM
Hey, just because it was a movie doesn't mean it doesn't have a point. Have you ever try to do something but it was impossible since you were thinking about it to much? The quote means, just let it come naturally, don't force it. Frank looks like he is forcing it at the plate.

I'm a bit amazed that Frank, not having hit a ground ball to the right side of second base all season to my knowledge, wouldn't be able to clearly see that whatever he's doing wrong involves getting underneath every single, solitary outside pitch. He's obviously breaking down his back leg and shoulder and swinging underneath every ball without using any top hand on the swing, thus the lack of power to the right side. He could do himself a buttload of good to go back to the Hriniak style of hitting off the front leg & foot. All of his sharp drives to the right side (the good Frank) were done this way. He can literally foul 6, 7, 8 balls back in a row and get way underneath every one of them and then ultimately strike out, swinging underneath the ball, and look totally confused as to how it happened. Makes me wonder how he ever got to be a good hitter in the first place if this stuff isn't obvious to him. Is he looking at tape of himself? Are they working on this? Is he willing to change what he's doing?

FarmerAndy
08-13-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered

That Wesley Snipes always is a veritable FOUNTAIN of baseball knowledge. i remember that one year where he hit .000 ...

You may run like Hayes, but you hit like......

Kilroy
08-13-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob

I'm a bit amazed that Frank, not having hit a ground ball to the right side of second base all season to my knowledge, wouldn't be able to clearly see that whatever he's doing wrong involves getting underneath every single, solitary outside pitch.

Seeing what you're doing wrong, and making your body do it right are 2 different things. And like I've said before, if you are standing in the batter's box thinking about mechanics, you're pretty much a gone goose (as Hawk would say). If you're going well at the plate, you're a .300 hitter, right? So that means that 70 percent of the time, the pitcher wins. That's when you're not struggling with mechanics...

RedPinStripes
08-13-2002, 07:12 PM
JoeBatters used to call Kenny Lofton "Bobby Rayburn" on the air as a joke. Funny that he ends up playing CF for the Giants now. :D:

guillen4life13
08-13-2002, 10:11 PM

and also the letting go thing applies to many other things outside of sports, and even in other sports.

easiest example that comes to me is singing. lots of people focus on the technique in singing that they forget completely about the soul, and when they go on stage, they suck because they arent' letting their emotions out. same goes with guitarists/guitar solos (i think doublem will agree with me on both of these points)

even when i was playing baseball, the only time i had a homerun was when i just let go and just swung the bat without really thinking. (it wasn't a homerun, btw... the fences were short enough to hop over (less than 2 ft high) and the cf'er hopped it and caught the ball).

but as you said, just because it's a movie doesn't mean the point isn't there.