PDA

View Full Version : Nate Jones gets Tommy John!!

lizard6king6
07-30-2014, 09:54 PM
http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-80949443/

I thought he was getting better!! I think he's done with the Sox at this point with being out most of next year as well getting it done this late in the season!

lizard6king6
07-30-2014, 09:55 PM
Sorry just saw in injury thread.

doublem23
07-31-2014, 08:54 AM
That's a real shame, I was hoping he could at least come back this year, make a few appearances and lower his ERA from infinity.

russ99
07-31-2014, 08:57 AM
This really changes things for the pen next year.

I can see the Sox being very active in he FA market for a closer, especially if Lindstrom can't grab the job when he gets back from his injury.

Chez
07-31-2014, 09:18 AM
That's a real shame, I was hoping he could at least come back this year, make a few appearances and lower his ERA from infinity.

Which raises the question whether Nate is the first pitcher to finish a season with an ERA of infinity? I'm looking forward to seeing Baseball-reference.com, Topps etc. use the infinity sign.

PaleHoser
07-31-2014, 11:26 AM
Wilson Alvarez faced five hitters in his MLB debut with the Rangers in 1989 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/alvarwi01.shtml). Two HR's, double, two walks, and no outs recorded.

He was sent back to the minors after his start, so his ERA for 1989 was infinity.

MisterB
07-31-2014, 11:35 AM
Which raises the question whether Nate is the first pitcher to finish a season with an ERA of infinity? I'm looking forward to seeing Baseball-reference.com, Topps etc. use the infinity sign.

How soon we forget our own Wilson Alvarez.

His ML debut was a start with the Rangers in '89 where he gave up 3 runs on 3 hits and 2 walks in the first inning and was pulled without having recorded an out, so his ERA was infinity.

Of course, his second ML appearance (with the Sox in '91) was a no-hitter.

And BTW, Baseball-Reference doesn't use the infinity sign, it uses "inf" as the ERA.

PS: scooped by PaleHoser!