PDA

View Full Version : Writers think August 31st will be the strike date

Viva Magglio
08-12-2002, 04:07 PM
Could this mean a lack of unity among the players?

duke of dorwood
08-12-2002, 04:12 PM
It'll be before Labor Day and DEFINATLY as distanced from 9/11 as possible.

voodoochile
08-12-2002, 04:16 PM
Well, it's all speculation until it is officially announced, but I do admire the players for moving the date up if that is the case. 9/16 would have meant the end of the season for sure, IMO. Not that there is much different with 8/31, but it does give them 2 whole extra weeks to throw rhetoric at each other and refuse to budge while watching their fan base bail on them faster than a flubbie fan closes on Murphys after the 7th in a 1-1 ball game...

chisoxfanatic
08-13-2002, 12:06 AM
And writers are the best source for this type of information.

TornLabrum
08-13-2002, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by chisoxfanatic
And writers are the best source for this type of information.

How many strike dates is that now that the union has set?

ma-gaga
08-13-2002, 09:50 AM
Technically, the Players Union has never set any strike date.

The media however, LOVES setting theoretical dates... Especially the LA Times, I don't really know why but heck, this Thursday, the players COULD set a strike date for as early as next TUESDAY!!! Possibly wiping out another post-season blah blah blah...

Craptacular reporting! On a side note, Ray Ratto has a pretty funny article today: here (http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/ratto_ray/1417248.html)
We have lives here, fellas. We need to make plans. We've got people to hate and issues to misunderstand. And we can't just stand here with our thumbs in our ears wading through vague hints about possible progress that they can't tell us about because the negotiations are at such a sensitive stage and because we're too stupid to understand the explanations they're not giving us.

harwar
08-13-2002, 10:02 AM
I believe this to be just posturing by both sides.I don't think either side(as self-interested and pig-headed as they both are)are actually stupid enough to have a strike or lockout.Especially with 911 and America being on everyones collective mind next month.In 1994 they shot themselves in the foot(and tore my guts out)when they went on strike and cancelled the World Series,in 2002,they would be shooting themselves in the head if there was a work stoppage.

voodoochile
08-13-2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by harwar
...they would be shooting themselves in the head if there was a work stoppage.

And your point is? Neither side is especially adept at understanding why they have jobs. They both seem to think they are owed something...

One point on the current negotiations. The players may be able to go without striking at this point. They have proven their willingness to comprimise on some of the issues, including some of the big ones. Thus the owners will have a hard time claiming the players are unwilling to work with them and the courts will probably rule any off season lockout illegal.