PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 7/7 Scotty Sings Sweetly Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
07-07-2014, 09:46 PM
I'll take 10 more starts like that from the rook.

hoosiersoxfan
07-07-2014, 09:48 PM
SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter 1m
White Sox shut out Red Sox in Fenway, 4-0. Chicago starters have allowed just 1 ER in their last 30 IP.

Starting pitching could keep us within striking distance all year if they keep pitching well. Now if only that bullpen could do their job.

doublem23
07-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Took us until the last weekend of June to get 1 shutout in a season, now we've had 3 in the last week and a day.

Baseball... ****ing weird.

Railsplitter
07-07-2014, 09:54 PM
Normally, I post two normal-sized dancing bananas when the Sox win two in a row, but two straight shut outs calls for something a bit more
:supernana: :supernana:

voodoochile
07-07-2014, 10:03 PM
Normally, I post two normal-sized dancing bananas when the Sox win two in a row, but two straight shut outs calls for something a bit more
:supernana: :supernana:

:moonwalk:

:thud:

:soxwin:

SoxSpeed22
07-07-2014, 10:05 PM
Yesterday I had no confidence in Noesi, tonight I had no confidence in Carroll. They both did a great job making me look like a fool. I like the GB ratio too.

Chez
07-07-2014, 10:08 PM
Back-to-back shut outs in games started by Noesi and Carroll? I expect tomorrow I will see pigs flying.

TomBradley72
07-07-2014, 10:23 PM
Back-to-back shut outs in games started by Noesi and Carroll? I expect tomorrow I will see pigs flying.

Or Flowers get a hit-

waldo_the_wolf
07-07-2014, 10:31 PM
When I saw that Carroll was the starter, I was like "Is he still in the rotation? This won't be good" I love when players make me eat my words.

sunofgold
07-07-2014, 10:36 PM
Good job Coop. Only 6 behind in wildcard chase.

BainesHOF
07-07-2014, 10:39 PM
Only 6 behind in wildcard chase.

Stop it.

ChicagoG19
07-07-2014, 10:45 PM
The march back to .500 continues!

Tragg
07-07-2014, 10:50 PM
Carroll's pretty good when he keeps the ball down. Anyone know how fast his fastball is?
Only 2 fly balls allowed all night ( 1 from Carroll)- Hahn's pitching plan is coming together.

slavko
07-07-2014, 11:11 PM
Carroll's pretty good when he keeps the ball down. Anyone know how fast his fastball is?
Only 2 fly balls allowed all night ( 1 from Carroll)- Hahn's pitching plan is coming together.

If Scott Carroll is part of that pitching plan, we're in deep er, um trouble.

tstrike2000
07-07-2014, 11:49 PM
Carroll has to keep that sinker low, which he did tonight, and it paid dividends. Noesi also actually has pretty good stuff, just wildly inconsistent. Nice to see two of our lower tier starters with back to back solid outings.

Tragg
07-07-2014, 11:57 PM

The plan is to load the staff with ground ball pitchers to minimize the park factor. Carroll fits, as an interim piece.

doublem23
07-08-2014, 12:31 AM
When I saw that Carroll was the starter, I was like "Is he still in the rotation? This won't be good"

This was his 3rd start back in the rotation since replacing Reinzo in late June.

TomBradley72
07-08-2014, 06:55 AM
Good job Coop. Only 6 behind in wildcard chase.

With A. Garcia, Lindstrom and Jones on the way back for the miracle comeback!

DumpJerry
07-08-2014, 07:17 AM
The same thing would have been said in reaction to a statement about Sandy Koufax being the future of the Dodgers' pitching staff during his first several seasons.

TomBradley72
07-08-2014, 07:23 AM
The same thing would have been said in reaction to a statement about Sandy Koufax being the future of the Dodgers' pitching staff during his first several seasons.

I wouldn't get carried away- Carroll's ceiling is long relief or MAYBE as a #5-

Man- .500 teams break your heart- if you take 5 of the 11 9th inning blown leads and turn them to wins- we're the 2nd Wild Card as of this morning-

Irishsox1
07-08-2014, 09:32 AM
Every time the Red Sox tried to grab momentum, Carroll or the pen shut it down which was nice to see.

Nothing ticks me off more than when the Sox grab the lead and the next inning the pitcher gives it right back. Javier Vasquez and Jake Peavy were the kings of that.

cards press box
07-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Attaboy Tank!!

[/URL][URL="http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=Ba46lgXIoieZ1M&tbnid=Q4PiiHoGAvXY-M:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.macjams.com%2Fsong%2F77852&ei=4Ae8U9vWFIyxyATswoDIDw&bvm=bv.70138588,d.aWw&psig=AFQjCNH-k6dC07QWdSUzArUIXaIOGiwLKw&ust=1404917976465774"]http://img.macjams.com/song_art/77852_Oddball.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=ZVO3Zu1A-4DF9M&tbnid=Yfn0jntrAQXuGM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ronpaulforums.com%2Fshowthrea d.php%3F343668-Oddball-Paul-steals-march-in-race-to-the-White-House&ei=wwe8U5jkC8qjyATj3ID4AQ&bvm=bv.70138588,d.aWw&psig=AFQjCNH-k6dC07QWdSUzArUIXaIOGiwLKw&ust=1404917976465774)

:winner

slavko
07-08-2014, 10:11 AM
I'll forever remember this as the thread in which Scott Carroll was compared to Sandy Koufax. We're in rare form and I love it. :D:

Sun's shining, beautiful morning, zip-a de-do-dah.....

TDog
07-08-2014, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't get carried away- Carroll's ceiling is long relief or MAYBE as a #5-

Man- .500 teams break your heart- if you take 5 of the 11 9th inning blown leads and turn them to wins- we're the 2nd Wild Card as of this morning-

Of course, a couple of blown ninth-inning leads were eventually won, but in my mind the most heartbreaking could-have-been-wins losses were the Saturday afternoons against the Yankees and Mariners when the games appeared won and the Sox would have had a chance to go for sweeps. Then Baltimore springs to mind and you start to wonder if five more wins might not be conservative as far as what the team could have done if you include eventual losses the Sox seemed to have won in the eighth.

One of the things I kept reading here in the offseason was that this team wouldn't be good enough to make the absence of a solid closer a factor in its 2014 prospects.

Scott Carroll's role is long relief and starting in a pinch, the role Noesi seemed to have before he suddenly became part of the starting rotation. Carroll actually has done quite well in that role and has alleviated some strain on the bullpen. He has been a better reliever than a starter. His starter/reliever splits certainly support that premise, especially when you consider how a really bad relief outing can skew those splits and Carroll has started a couple of the most lopsided shutouts the Sox have lost this year. It could be the matchups. It could be the game situation. It could be that as a starter, he rarely puts it all together. He's only done that three times this year.

Carroll looks like a good pitcher to have on the team, but I wouldn't suggest giving up just one hit and three baserunners in 6.2 innings means he could be a solid, reliable starter.

Chez
07-08-2014, 10:31 AM
I'll forever remember this as the thread in which Scott Carroll was compared to Sandy Koufax. We're in rare form and I love it. :D:

You took the words right out of my mouth! Scott Carroll and Sandy Koufax mentioned in the same sentence!

tstrike2000
07-08-2014, 10:52 AM
You took the words right out of my mouth! Scott Carroll and Sandy Koufax mentioned in the same sentence!

Well, and don't forget, TFlo is also the next Johnny Bench.

Tragg
07-08-2014, 10:56 AM
The Red Sox are a dead team (kind of like us last year) so it's hard to draw conclusions on Carroll other than if he keeps the ball down he's useful.

voodoochile
07-08-2014, 10:56 AM
Anyone who thinks DumpJerry was being serious about the Koufax comparison hasn't been paying attention. That man doesn't have a non-sarcastic bone in his body.

But his fishing skills are in fine form as he seems to have landed a few...:tongue:

kufram
07-08-2014, 11:39 AM
Any pitcher that keeps the ball low is going to be useful if he's close enough to the zone that batters have to swing.

This season is no longer about what has happened up to now. It is about what happens from now on. No one can predict that, although many will try. A couple of moves, a couple of players come back from injuries, a couple of streaks.... anything can happen. That's what makes baseball.

tebman
07-08-2014, 12:26 PM
Well, and don't forget, TFlo is also the next Johnny Bench.

:mg:

:roflmao:

TomBradley72
07-08-2014, 12:32 PM
Not sure about Carroll- he's either effective once every 4-5 starts when all of the planets align or he's improving with addition of a new pitch (cutter?).

I think he's probably better in a long relief role when he's only going through an order 1-2/X.

Viciedo is on a streak- the home run to right center was impressive- he's a .314 career hitter vs. LHPs- and Gillaspie is hitting .344 vs. RHPs this year- the two of them could be an interesting platoon at DH in 2015 (along with serving as OF (Viciedo) and 3B/1B (Gillaspie) backups). If we can get a legit rotation starter from SEA- I'd make the move- but he has historically hit about 25 points higher in the 2nd half vs. 1st half- could be interesting.

JB98
07-08-2014, 12:43 PM
Took us until the last weekend of June to get 1 shutout in a season, now we've had 3 in the last week and a day.

Baseball... ****ing weird.

Indeed, and it could have been five shutouts in a week and a day. Sale had a shutout going into the ninth last Friday until the Mariners nicked him for a run. We shall not speak much of that Saturday game, but the Sox were three outs away in that game as well.

hawkjt
07-08-2014, 01:05 PM
The Red Sox are a dead team (kind of like us last year) so it's hard to draw conclusions on Carroll other than if he keeps the ball down he's useful.

Good outing by Carroll but the Red Sox are last in MLB in runs scored.

If the Sox can hit at all the rest of this series, the Sox have a good chance with Danks, Sale and Quintana going the next three.

Nice to see Dunn getting his first homer in Fenway.

Tank is going to right lately, and it is working.

Nice job by Putnam and Avy out there.
Screw a high draft pick...lets get back in this thing.
Tigers face the Dodgers this week...they seem to be limping.
Sox could be within a few games by the end of the week.

Noneck
07-08-2014, 02:44 PM
Win at least 3 of 4 against this crap team, then win the series against the wahoos. That will put them on a nice streak going into the break. Summer baseball interest is of utmost importance to me.

TDog
07-08-2014, 03:11 PM
Viciedo is on a streak- the home run to right center was impressive- ...

People talk about Fenway being a bandbox and inflating home run totals. Certainly it can. But the home runs the White Sox hit last night monster shots that got no help from the ballpark.

I wonder if the fans got the news that the Dunn home run put him ahead of Yastrzemski on the all-time list. I'm guessing Harrelson talked about that.

TomBradley72
07-08-2014, 03:29 PM
People talk about Fenway being a bandbox and inflating home run totals. Certainly it can. But the home runs the White Sox hit last night monster shots that got no help from the ballpark.

I wonder if the fans got the news that the Dunn home run put him ahead of Yastrzemski on the all-time list. I'm guessing Harrelson talked about that.

Yep- if Dimaggio had played in Fenway and Williams had played at Yankee Stadium- would have been interesting-

hawkjt
07-08-2014, 04:39 PM

Actually, I did not hear Hawk mention Yaz last nite at all...altho Stone did mention that Adam moved up the list.

And yes, those were not cheapies...Tanks was about as tough a homer as you can hit there back in the deep corner.

bunkaroo
07-08-2014, 04:49 PM
Actually, I did not hear Hawk mention Yaz last nite at all...altho Stone did mention that Adam moved up the list.

And yes, those were not cheapies...Tanks was about as tough a homer as you can hit there back in the deep corner.

I do recall here "Yaz" mentioned don't remember if it was right away or not.

Brewski
07-08-2014, 07:45 PM
Anyone who thinks DumpJerry was being serious about the Koufax comparison hasn't been paying attention. That man doesn't have a non-sarcastic bone in his body.

But his fishing skills are in fine form as he seems to have landed a few...:tongue:

Ha ha that's a hoot. Good one.