PDA

View Full Version : 30th anniversary of Sandberg game

thomas35forever
06-23-2014, 06:51 PM
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/06/23/listen-home-run-calls-from-the-sandberg-game/
My dad was at this game. I was merely a twinkle in his eye at the time. Have to admit what Sandberg accomplished is admirable.

white sox bill
06-24-2014, 08:49 AM
I always thought he was a tad overrated but he seemed like a humble, classy guy despite his team affiliation

GoSox2K3
06-24-2014, 09:17 AM
The Cubs sure get a ton of "anniversary" attention. 16th anniversary of Kerry Wood, 30th anniversary of Sandberg, etc. When's the 27th anniversary of Andre Dawson throwing out a runner at first? Don't want to miss that!

I always thought he was a tad overrated but he seemed like a humble, classy guy despite his team affiliation

Agreed.

RadioheadRocks
06-25-2014, 10:55 PM
Get back to me when you can celebrate an anniversary like the one we'll celebrate on October 26 this year.

Irishsox1
06-26-2014, 02:42 PM
I remember this game, at the time I thought it was just another crazy high scoring game at Wrigley similar to the 23-22 Cubs Phillies game of 1979 and quickly forgot about it. Every year when the wind blows out the scores get crazy so I thought this was nothing new.

The game turned into something bigger around 1996 when the Cubs/Tribune needed something to celebrate bringing Sandberg out of retirement, similar to the way the media brought up "The Shot" with Michael Jordan. 1996 was also the first time I heard a Cub fan call the Cardinals their rivals. I honestly thought the Cubs rivals were the Expos or the Mets.

TommyJohn
06-26-2014, 07:48 PM
I remember this game well. I also remember the aftermath, as the normally staid, objective Chicago sports media began hyperventilating that Ryne Sandberg was the greatest second baseman of all-time and that he was headed for the Hall of Fame. This was midway through his breakout season.