PDA

View Full Version : David Price

ddog528
06-21-2014, 08:31 PM
While this was from a couple days ago, I am kind of shocked the White Sox are mentioned at possibly acquiring him, at least according to two days ago. Doesn't make sense to me with so many lefties already.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2014/06/mlb_trade_rumors_espn_analyst_explains_how_yankees _could_get_david_price.html

JB98
06-21-2014, 08:54 PM
What difference does it make that he's left-handed? He's an established, top-of-the-rotation starter. The Sox could use another one of those, regardless of handedness.

I can't see the Sox being in the mix to acquire Price, but the reasons for that have nothing to do with having too many left-handed starters, which is nothing more than a stupid media narrative.

The Sox need more guys that can pitch, left-handed or right-handed.

tstrike2000
06-21-2014, 10:24 PM
Prince throwing underhanded would be better than having Noesi or Rienzo.

soxfanreggie
06-22-2014, 02:09 AM
What difference does it make that he's left-handed? He's an established, top-of-the-rotation starter. The Sox could use another one of those, regardless of handedness.

I can't see the Sox being in the mix to acquire Price, but the reasons for that have nothing to do with having too many left-handed starters, which is nothing more than a stupid media narrative.

I agree that I can't see us in the mix. I don't think we have enough that the Rays would want and that we're willing to part with to get the deal done.

#1swisher
06-22-2014, 10:29 AM
Marc Topkin ‏@TBTimes_Rays (https://twitter.com/TBTimes_Rays) 17m (https://twitter.com/TBTimes_Rays/status/480714795424169984)

In today's @TB_Times (https://twitter.com/TB_Times), for both David Price and #Rays (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rays?src=hash), it's best for a trade to happen sooner than later http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/rays-tales-david-price-trade-must-happen-soon/2185442 (http://t.co/Jj0DK8JmZn)

#1swisher
06-22-2014, 10:37 AM
Jim Bowden considers most likely to trade for him:

Angels: 1B C.J. Cron, 2B Alex Yarbrough

Blue Jays: RHP Aaron Sanchez, RHP Alberto Tirado

White Sox: 2B Micah Johnson, RHP Erik Johnson, RHP Chris Beck

Yankees: C Gary Sanchez, RHP Luis Severino, C Peter O'Brien

Braves: LHP Alex Wood, RHP Lucas Sims, additional pitching prospect

http://espn.go.com/blog/the-gms-office

shingo10
06-22-2014, 11:40 AM

From the way the organization has talked up Micah Johnson this past year I would think he is as close to untouchable as a minor league player can be. I don't think he will be traded. Interesting though.

kittle42
06-22-2014, 12:04 PM
From the way the organization has talked up Micah Johnson this past year I would think he is as close to untouchable as a minor league player can be. I don't think he will be traded. Interesting though.

He's far from untouchable.

mzh
06-22-2014, 12:12 PM

If that's what Tampa Bay wants, they can have it twenty times out of ten.

TDog
06-22-2014, 12:15 PM

There are some who believe that an edge left-handed pitchers have is that hitters see more righties. It's an old belief that I heard in the national media when the White Sox had four lefties in the starting rotation in a losing season that had Ed Farmer closing games. The starters were supposed to be stars of the future, but four seasons later when the Sox went to the ALCS after winning 99 games, the two best starters threw right handed.

One analyst suggested after the Giants game Wednesday that the Giants had an easier time with Sale than they might not have had if Danks hadn't pitched against them the night before. I didn't hear any of the Giants hitters saying that, though. The Giants, like most teams, prefer not to pitch left-handed starters back-to-back to the point where Barry Zito was the No. 3 starter at the beginning of the season where he was probably the fourth or fifth best starter in the rotation.

There are right-handed hitters who have more trouble with left-handed pitching than right-handed pitching. Jose Abreu is a better hitter against right-handers, even if opposing managers want to play the percentages late in the game and put in a righty to face him. Of course, some pitchers are better than others. If I were in the postseason, I would feel great about having Sale and Price pitching in the first two games of a series.

But I don't see I don't see Price coming to the Sox.

JB98
06-22-2014, 02:01 PM
There are some who believe that an edge left-handed pitchers have is that hitters see more righties. It's an old belief that I heard in the national media when the White Sox had four lefties in the starting rotation in a losing season that had Ed Farmer closing games. The starters were supposed to be stars of the future, but four seasons later when the Sox went to the ALCS after winning 99 games, the two best starters threw right handed.

One analyst suggested after the Giants game Wednesday that the Giants had an easier time with Sale than they might not have had if Danks hadn't pitched against them the night before. I didn't hear any of the Giants hitters saying that, though. The Giants, like most teams, prefer not to pitch left-handed starters back-to-back to the point where Barry Zito was the No. 3 starter at the beginning of the season where he was probably the fourth or fifth best starter in the rotation.

There are right-handed hitters who have more trouble with left-handed pitching than right-handed pitching. Jose Abreu is a better hitter against right-handers, even if opposing managers want to play the percentages late in the game and put in a righty to face him. Of course, some pitchers are better than others. If I were in the postseason, I would feel great about having Sale and Price pitching in the first two games of a series.

But I don't see I don't see Price coming to the Sox.

The analyst who suggested facing Danks the day before was an advantage for the Giants against Sale is full of beans. Sale didn't have good command of his fastball in that start, and even still he only gave up three runs. I doubt the Giants' hitters were all that comfortable in that game, and even if they were, I don't believe it was because they faced Danks the night before.

It's always strange to me that people never make a stink about facing right-handed starters three or four days in a row, yet, back-to-back lefties, or three lefties in a row raises a red flag.

I would love to have Price on the Sox. I think he can pitch, and the Sox need more people who can pitch. I don't see the Sox having the pieces to get a deal done, however.

DSpivack
06-22-2014, 03:06 PM

I would make that deal in a second. Although I do wonder if Price is on the decline.

JB98
06-22-2014, 03:45 PM
I would make that deal in a second. Although I do wonder if Price is on the decline.

I don't think he's in decline. He had a rough ride early in the season, but now he's struck out 10 batters or more in each of his last four starts. He's made five quality starts in a row. I think his struggles at the start of the year were nothing more than a cold streak.

shes
06-22-2014, 03:56 PM
I don't think he's in decline. He had a rough ride early in the season, but now he's struck out 10 batters or more in each of his last four starts. He's made five quality starts in a row. I think his struggles at the start of the year were nothing more than a cold streak.

Price's baseball card numbers were weak, but a cursory look at his other statistics indicated that he was pitching as good as ever despite the 5 ERA. Lo and behold he's now around 3.80 and dropping fast, while leading the AL in strikeouts and with an absolutely absurd 10.23 K/BB ratio.

He's a top 10 pitcher, and any time you can add one of those to your team, you have to do it. Especially if all you're giving up is prospects.

JB98
06-22-2014, 03:58 PM
Price's baseball card numbers were weak, but a cursory look at his other statistics indicated that he was pitching as good as ever despite the 5 ERA. Lo and behold he's now around 3.80 and dropping fast, while leading the AL in strikeouts and with an absolutely absurd 10.23 K/BB ratio.

He's a top 10 pitcher, and any time you can add one of those to your team, you have to do it. Especially if all you're giving up is prospects.

Agreed. The two Johnsons and Beck for Price? I'd do that in a second.

Tragg
06-22-2014, 05:15 PM
This team has holes galore, so we want to use scarce resources to rent Price for a season and a half?

Good lord.

Even when the Sox weren't a dog**** team, when a pitcher theoretically could have helped the team win, these types of trades rarely helped - Garcia being the sole exception.

JB98
06-22-2014, 05:22 PM
This team has holes galore, so we want to use scarce resources to rent Price for a season and a half?

Good lord.

Even when the Sox weren't a dog**** team, when a pitcher theoretically could have helped the team win, these types of trades rarely helped - Garcia being the sole exception.

Yes, we do want to acquire a guy like Price because he's one of the 10 best pitchers in baseball, and he's still only 28. If the Sox had the pieces to acquire him (they don't), you do it in a second, and then you sign him to an extension.

What you don't do is waste scarce resources on Edwin Jackson or Jason Hammel, or any of the other mediocrity out there that would be a marginal upgrade over what the Sox have now.

Price is not a marginal upgrade. He's an elite pitcher. If you can get him for the price of the Micah Johnson, Erik Johnson and Chris Beck, you do it. Personally, I refuse to believe the price is that low. Certainly, another organization would be able to offer Tampa Bay a better package than that.

Tragg
06-22-2014, 05:34 PM
Price is not a marginal upgrade. He's an elite pitcher. If you can get him for the price of the Micah Johnson, Erik Johnson and Chris Beck, you do it. Personally, I refuse to believe the price is that low. Certainly, another organization would be able to offer Tampa Bay a better package than that.

There is no way the price is that low. For what it would legitimately cost to get price (something like Johnson and Anderson and Semien) I don't see a reason to rent him or anyone else considering the poor condition of the ML team and the farm.

JB98
06-22-2014, 06:03 PM
There is no way the price is that low. For what it would legitimately cost to get price (something like Johnson and Anderson and Semien) I don't see a reason to rent him or anyone else considering the poor condition of the ML team and the farm.

I would think Tampa Bay would want at least one guy who is MLB-ready. If the Sox had anybody like that at AAA, that player wouldn't be at AAA.

Maybe Semien could be described as MLB-ready, but I'm not convinced he projects as an everyday player in the bigs.

shingo10
06-22-2014, 07:01 PM

We shall see.

DSpivack
06-22-2014, 10:03 PM

Yes, we do want to acquire a guy like Price because he's one of the 10 best pitchers in baseball, and he's still only 28. If the Sox had the pieces to acquire him (they don't), you do it in a second, and then you sign him to an extension.

What you don't do is waste scarce resources on Edwin Jackson or Jason Hammel, or any of the other mediocrity out there that would be a marginal upgrade over what the Sox have now.

I agree with both of these posts. IF that was enough to get Price, you do it in a second. But I doubt the Sox have enough to deal for Price, given the dearth of talent on the farm.

Brian26
06-22-2014, 11:36 PM
Yes, we do want to acquire a guy like Price because he's one of the 10 best pitchers in baseball, and he's still only 28.

This is neither here nor there, but I found it interesting. If I told you Price was only four years younger than Peavy, would that sound correct? It feels like Peavy is much older. Or Perhaps it feels like Price should be younger. Price will be 29 in August. The Sox actually acquired Peavy in 2009 just after he turned 28.

As a point of reference, Kershaw is 26. Scherzer will be 30 in July. Greinke is 30. Verlander is 31 (he's falling off a cliff). Sale is 25.

JB98
06-23-2014, 02:53 AM
This is neither here nor there, but I found it interesting. If I told you Price was only four years younger than Peavy, would that sound correct? It feels like Peavy is much older. Or Perhaps it feels like Price should be younger. Price will be 29 in August. The Sox actually acquired Peavy in 2009 just after he turned 28.

As a point of reference, Kershaw is 26. Scherzer will be 30 in July. Greinke is 30. Verlander is 31 (he's falling off a cliff). Sale is 25.

Yes. That sounds correct. But maybe it doesn't feel that way because Peavy is often injured, and therefore seems older than he is to some.

Of course, unlike a lot of posters here, I like Peavy. I was happy when the Sox acquired him. I do acknowledge they traded him at the right time, and I was very happy they got Garcia in return. Unfortunately, Garcia is hurt, and that injury is a big setback to the Sox' rebuilding plan.

Frater Perdurabo
06-23-2014, 07:14 AM
Yes. That sounds correct. But maybe it doesn't feel that way because Peavy is often injured, and therefore seems older than he is to some.

Of course, unlike a lot of posters here, I like Peavy. I was happy when the Sox acquired him. I do acknowledge they traded him at the right time, and I was very happy they got Garcia in return. Unfortunately, Garcia is hurt, and that injury is a big setback to the Sox' rebuilding plan.

It was just terrible luck that what should have been Peavy's prime years were wasted by repeated DL trips and too much resultant ineffectiveness.

Domeshot17
06-23-2014, 12:12 PM
I make the trade only if we were assured he was going to resign here. We are not winning anything this year so renting him makes no sense.

Golden Sox
06-23-2014, 12:31 PM
I would take David Price in a heartbeat. While we're at it, MLB TradeRumors.com is hinting that Matt Kemp is going to be moved. Wouldn't you rather see Kemp in the outfield rather than DeAza or the Tank? I realize the White Sox are not going to pick up Kemps entire contract but if LA picks up most of the contract he would be a welcome sight on the South Side of Chicago.

doublem23
06-23-2014, 01:31 PM
It was just terrible luck that what should have been Peavy's prime years were wasted by repeated DL trips and too much resultant ineffectiveness.

Exactly, the move to get Peavy was a great one, we gave up ultimately very, very little, but Peavy never lived up to everything here in Chicago because he was unfortunately on the DL so often.

He did net us several intriguing young players; Avisail the prize of the catch, but some of the prospects from Boston are worth a second look, as well, so it's not all bad.

Tragg
06-23-2014, 05:11 PM
I would take David Price in a heartbeat. While we're at it, MLB TradeRumors.com is hinting that Matt Kemp is going to be moved. Wouldn't you rather see Kemp in the outfield rather than DeAza or the Tank? I realize the White Sox are not going to pick up Kemps entire contract but if LA picks up most of the contract he would be a welcome sight on the South Side of Chicago.
Sure, if they want to give him to us in return for some salary relief and no prospects.

While none of the prospects we traded for Peavy turned out to be much, there is an opportunity cost - could we have used those prospects to get a productive player. Anyway, Sox did a fine job sending him to Boston, getting back interesting players; and not a moment too soon, as he has De Aza value this season.

doublem23
06-23-2014, 05:59 PM
While none of the prospects we traded for Peavy turned out to be much, there is an opportunity cost - could we have used those prospects to get a productive player.

That is utter nonsense, when Peavy was acquired in 2009 he was still one of the better pitchers in baseball and still in his late 20s, this idea that there was somewhere better players to be added for the garbage prospects we sent to San Diego is completely laughable.

There are plenty of moves made in the late KW era that people knew were a heavy risk at the time; Swisher I, Swisher II, Hudson for Jackson, etc., but I have a hard time lumping the Peavy deal in with those.

Tsk tsk the deal all you want from hindsight, fine, but I doubt many people expected him to tear his shoulder muscle off the bone when he was traded. It is, what it is.

XplodingScorbord
06-23-2014, 08:53 PM
Get Price and Rodon and have an all-lefty rotation!

soxfanreggie
06-23-2014, 09:57 PM
Get Price and Rodon and have an all-lefty rotation!

Actually, compared to our current rotation, put that in pink.

HarryChappas
06-23-2014, 10:33 PM
We don't have anything that The rays would want. They are looking for three Micah johnson type players. Marcus S. is a major league utility player at best. Kemp would make sense, but we would have to pay most of his salary.