PDA

View Full Version : Monday seems to be the day

Daver
08-11-2002, 07:31 PM
That the MLBPA will set an official strike date. (http://www.sportingnews.com/baseball/articles/20020811/421069.html)

duke of dorwood
08-11-2002, 08:34 PM
It's gonna happen-battle lines are being drawn, and the issues that have created this atmosphere of hope, will now be replaced by the main course

HootieMcBoob
08-11-2002, 09:13 PM
Haha...the only positive thing that can come out of this strike for me, is that I will win my fantasy baseball league (and my lead is dropping like a rock)!

chisoxfanatic
08-12-2002, 11:00 AM
Does it bother you that the only issues the MLB has been settling over the course of the past weeks have been issues that have not been the cause of the talks of a strike? I'm beginning to think that MLB WANTS to call the rest of the season. If they didn't, they would've discussed more important issues than setting a new league minimum wage during their past talks.

Heather the Redbird

TornLabrum
08-12-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by chisoxfanatic
Does it bother you that the only issues the MLB has been settling over the course of the past weeks have been issues that have not been the cause of the talks of a strike? I'm beginning to think that MLB WANTS to call the rest of the season. If they didn't, they would've discussed more important issues than setting a new league minimum wage during their past talks.

Heather the Redbird

Doesn't bother me one bit. That's the way it's done.

duke of dorwood
08-12-2002, 11:29 AM
I agree-the owners want a strike-especially now that they get the TV money regardless. Once the strike date is set, the players will assume the role of the bad guys.

LongDistanceFan
08-12-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I agree-the owners want a strike-especially now that they get the TV money regardless. Once the strike date is set, the players will assume the role of the bad guys.

thanks davers for the link.

i really want to strike to happen. i am soo tired of this season.

i need to rant, maybe this is not the place. i know i am going to offend posters here, maybe evening starting anothe fight.

release clayton. :D:

thought i was going to say something else.

TheBigHurt
08-12-2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan

i really want to strike to happen. i am soo tired of this season.

cant disagree with you but what happens with the future of the game?

wassagstdu
08-12-2002, 01:16 PM
As I see it, whatever happens today the damage to the Sox is done and it is heavy. The threat of a strike decreased the value of veteran talent for the stretch run, just what the Sox had to peddle. So the good players they were able to unload got them NOTHING in return and they were unable to unload others. Leaving aside the question of the competence of the GM, it seems to me that the threat of a strike negated the Sox strategy of trading veterans for prospects. Having made the decision to liquidate what looked on paper like a first rate team but didn't seem to function as one, they should have been able to build for the next decade. They did not. So just as the strike of 1994 arguably hit the Sox harder than anyone, costing the Sox their best shot at a pennant, the stike threat of 2002 has also hit us hard, likely eliminating the possibility of a pennant for at least a decade. I am running out of time and patience. :angry: :whiner:

Cheryl
08-12-2002, 02:13 PM
Welcome to WSI, was. Want some Prozac?

doublem23
08-12-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
Welcome to WSI, was. Want some Prozac?

**** Prozac... Just give him some cyanide. :)

(He'll thank you in the long run.)

Soxheads
08-12-2002, 06:03 PM
Apparently they have moved it back to Friday as to when they will set a strike date.

Jerry_Manuel
08-12-2002, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads
Apparently they have moved it back to Friday as to when they will set a strike date.

I don't think that is the case.

They have the option of meeting again on Friday and setting the date at that time. Maybe I misheard it on SportsCenter.

Daver
08-12-2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

They have the option of meeting again on Friday and setting the date at that time. Maybe I misheard it on SportsCenter.

I watched Don Fehr's media conference on ESPN NEWS,he is still hoping that a strike can be avoided,but he is not backing down on his stance on the luxury tax,so it is back to square one unless Bud backs down.

Soxheads
08-12-2002, 06:39 PM

That's just what they said on my local NBC station.

Jerry_Manuel
08-12-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by daver
I watched Don Fehr's media conference on ESPN NEWS,he is still hoping that a strike can be avoided,but he is not backing down on his stance on the luxury tax,so it is back to square one unless Bud backs down.

We know Selig is not going to back down.

Originally posted by Soxheads
That's just what they said on my local NBC station.

Oh, lord knows whatever you hear on tv is always right. :D:

Soxheads
08-12-2002, 07:56 PM
Oh, lord knows whatever you hear on tv is always right. :D:

Hey, give me a break, I'm young and stupid!