PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again - Cubs fan attacked outside US Cellular Field

vinny
06-17-2014, 10:45 PM
http://abc7chicago.com/news/cubs-fan-says-he-was-beaten-outside-us-cellular-field/119599/

Brian26
06-17-2014, 10:56 PM
"I'll give it to them, U.S. Cellular Field is freakin' awesome. I had a great time," Rebenda said.

:rolling:

Brian26
06-17-2014, 10:59 PM
"I had a White Sox shirt on and a Cubs hat," Rebenda said. "I mean, I'm a Cubs fan, but I wasn't going to go all in Cubs gear. I know better than that."

^^^^^

Totally plausible.

DrCrawdad
06-18-2014, 12:49 AM
"I had a White Sox shirt on and a Cubs hat," Rebenda said. "I mean, I'm a Cubs fan, but I wasn't going to go all in Cubs gear. I know better than that."

^^^^^

Totally plausible.

Every Sox game I go to I see Cubbie fans prancing around The Cell in their Cubbie gear. I've seen them wearing that crap during Sox post-season games. Heck, I've even seen Ronnie Woo Woo at The Cell in his full Cubbie & at SoxFest. The only trouble I've witnessed is when Cubbie fans went beyond the provocative nature of Cubbie gear at The Cell to the point where they've been agitating, further provoking a reaction.

Ever hear that Cubbie fans don't care about the Sox? Ever hear that it's Sox fans who have the "chip on their shoulder?" If so, wear the smallest bit of Sox stuff to The Shrine. See how that goes for ya...

MUsoxfan
06-18-2014, 12:53 AM
Every Sox game I go to I see Cubbie fans prancing around The Cell in their Cubbie gear. I've seen them wearing that crap during Sox post-season games. Heck, I've even seen Ronnie Woo Woo at The Cell in his full Cubbie & at SoxFest. The only trouble I've witnessed is when Cubbie fans went beyond the provocative nature of Cubbie gear at The Cell to the point where they've been agitating, further provoking a reaction.

Ever hear that Cubbie fans don't care about the Sox? Ever hear that it's Sox fans who have the "chip on their shoulder?" If so, wear the smallest bit of Sox stuff to The Shrine. See how that goes for ya...

You never cease to amaze

Vestigio
06-18-2014, 08:54 AM

I went to the Urinal last year for my brother-in-law's 21st birthday wearing a Sox hat, and no one bothered me. Granted it was the Einhorn "e" hat so they more than likely didnt know it was a Sox hat.

The Immigrant
06-18-2014, 08:59 AM
"I'll give it to them, U.S. Cellular Field is freakin' awesome. I had a great time," Rebenda said.

:rolling:

The Onion couldn't have put it any better.

dwalteroo
06-18-2014, 10:45 AM
I went to the Urinal last year for my brother-in-law's 21st birthday wearing a Sox hat, and no one bothered me. Granted it was the Einhorn "e" hat so they more than likely didnt know it was a Sox hat.

FWIW I saw a Cubs fan not far from Wrigley (I know this because he had a Cubs hat on and was with other Cubs fans during a Cubs-Cardinals series at home) wearing this jersey: http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-2472137dt.jpg

I don't think he had any idea it wasn't a Cubs jersey.

Domeshot17
06-18-2014, 11:29 AM
The typecasting of Sox fans gets really old fast, but we as a fan base don't help ourselves at all.

I see so many Sox fans trying to blame the guy who got jumped, its sickening. We need to just worry about the Sox, forget about the Cubs entirely, and start supporting our team. We play each other 4 games a year now, lets move the **** on already.

kittle42
06-18-2014, 11:56 AM

I will get the occasional harmless, snarky/stupid remark, and 10+ years ago if it was Sox/Cubs, I'd get stuff tossed at me in the bleachers, but I've never had a problem in the past decade.

TommyJohn
06-18-2014, 12:27 PM
The typecasting of Sox fans gets really old fast, but we as a fan base don't help ourselves at all.

I see so many Sox fans trying to blame the guy who got jumped, its sickening. We need to just worry about the Sox, forget about the Cubs entirely, and start supporting our team. We play each other 4 games a year now, lets move the **** on already.

Exactly how many Sox fans are blaming the guy? I don't see any. I'm actually wondering about the story because the guy nearly gets his eye put out and he's saying the place is "freakin' awesome"? If this story is true, then I'm sorry the guy got jumped by three asshats, but his comments just sound too stupid to be true.

kittle42
06-18-2014, 12:35 PM
Exactly how many Sox fans are blaming the guy? I don't see any.

At least one in this thread is implying that anyone getting beaten is just suffering the repercussions of their attempts to provoke.

SaltyPretzel
06-18-2014, 12:36 PM
I will get the occasional harmless, snarky/stupid remark, and 10+ years ago if it was Sox/Cubs, I'd get stuff tossed at me in the bleachers, but I've never had a problem in the past decade.

They're a lot less obnoxious since 2005.

kittle42
06-18-2014, 12:47 PM
They're a lot less obnoxious since 2005.

To be fair, so are Sox fans.

Domeshot17
06-18-2014, 01:22 PM
At least one in this thread is implying that anyone getting beaten is just suffering the repercussions of their attempts to provoke.

This has been a story for a few days now and you see it. I realize most fans don't blame the victim, but when you read comments like "yah and now he knows to stay off the southside" or "wear Cubs gear to the cell and you get what you are asking for"... its like... come on, shut up.

kittle42
06-18-2014, 02:13 PM
This has been a story for a few days now and you see it. I realize most fans don't blame the victim, but when you read comments like "yah and now he knows to stay off the southside" or "wear Cubs gear to the cell and you get what you are asking for"... its like... come on, shut up.

There's nothing quite like macho rah, rah sports fandom!

SoxFanCPA
06-18-2014, 05:26 PM
Not blaming the guy, but it makes no sense to wear a Cubs hat to a Sox-Tigers game.

kittle42
06-18-2014, 05:30 PM
Not blaming the guy, but it makes no sense to wear a Cubs hat to a Sox-Tigers game.

I just wore a Sox hat to a Cardinals-Nationals game, because it was a ballgame and I am a Sox fan.

It makes sense to wear a baseball hat to a baseball game, regardless of who is playing.

Brian26
06-18-2014, 07:32 PM
I just wore a Sox hat to a Cardinals-Nationals game, because it was a ballgame and I am a Sox fan.

That's probably not a fair example. Unfortunately, meatheads are easily incited.

Would it be a good idea for someone to wear a Giants hat to a Dodgers-Nationals game at Chavez-Ravine?

Domeshot17
06-18-2014, 07:51 PM
That's probably not a fair example. Unfortunately, meatheads are easily incited.

Would it be a good idea for someone to wear a Giants hat to a Dodgers-Nationals game at Chavez-Ravine?

But the dodgers and giants are rivals! They play in the same division! This would be like wearing an Angels hat to Chavez-Ravine

kittle42
06-18-2014, 07:55 PM

I see nothing wrong with it. It would not be a good idea to wear said hat and then run one's mouth off the entire game about a team that's not even playing (or be purposely negative against the Dodgers).

DrCrawdad
06-18-2014, 09:40 PM
You never cease to amaze

Thank you

SI1020
06-18-2014, 09:48 PM
But the dodgers and giants are rivals! They play in the same division! This would be like wearing an Angels hat to Chavez-Ravine The Dodgers/Giants thing is I believe the most heated, volatile, often on the edge of violence "rivalry" in American professional sports. People have died and one unfortunate Giants fan suffered permanent damage to the body and mind. It is beyond sad but that is one match up where it is wise for fans to tread very lightly. If you already know about it and I missed some levity in your post then just ignore this or have a laugh at my expense.

TDog
06-19-2014, 03:16 AM
But the dodgers and giants are rivals! They play in the same division! This would be like wearing an Angels hat to Chavez-Ravine

I've never been to Dodger Stadium, and get the impression such a thing would only induce eye rolling. But I've been to lots of games in Anaheim and wouldn't wear a Dodgers hat to an White Sox-Angels game. I wouldn't wear a Giants hat to a White Sox-A's game in Oakland.

The White Sox and Cubs may not be in the same league or same division. They aren't rivals competively, but they are rivals for fans in a sort of baseball turf war in and around the city. The rivalry isn't between the teams but among the fans. It's fashionable to disdain it and even deny it, but it's there. It's something people who grow up Chicago baseball fans grow up with. And I have to admit that if the Cubs lose 100 games, I'm disappointed that they won 62. I've been to Sox games over the years where during a lull late in the game for no apparent reason I've heard someone scream "Cubs suck."

I went to a White Sox-A's game where the jerk behind me spent the entire game loudly telling his date how superior the Oakland ballpark is to AT&T. Forget the San Francisco sellout streak. Oakland fans are real baseball fans. I was reminded of my misspent youth at Old Comiskey.

Most fans are cool about the turf-rivalry thing. If I go to a Sox game and see someone wearing Cubs gear, I see a troublemaker, but it doesn't bother me because I'm not interested in trouble over baseball. Still, I know that rivalry is real and there are fans that feel it more intensely than I do.

asindc
06-19-2014, 07:33 AM

Oh, please.:rolleyes:

Moses_Scurry
06-19-2014, 08:56 AM
I've never been to Dodger Stadium, and get the impression such a thing would only induce eye rolling. But I've been to lots of games in Anaheim and wouldn't wear a Dodgers hat to an White Sox-Angels game. I wouldn't wear a Giants hat to a White Sox-A's game in Oakland.

The White Sox and Cubs may not be in the same league or same division. They aren't rivals competively, but they are rivals for fans in a sort of baseball turf war in and around the city. The rivalry isn't between the teams but among the fans. It's fashionable to disdain it and even deny it, but it's there. It's something people who grow up Chicago baseball fans grow up with. And I have to admit that if the Cubs lose 100 games, I'm disappointed that they won 62. I've been to Sox games over the years where during a lull late in the game for no apparent reason I've heard someone scream "Cubs suck."

I went to a White Sox-A's game where the jerk behind me spent the entire game loudly telling his date how superior the Oakland ballpark is to AT&T. Forget the San Francisco sellout streak. Oakland fans are real baseball fans. I was reminded of my misspent youth at Old Comiskey.

Most fans are cool about the turf-rivalry thing. If I go to a Sox game and see someone wearing Cubs gear, I see a troublemaker, but it doesn't bother me because I'm not interested in trouble over baseball. Still, I know that rivalry is real and there are fans that feel it more intensely than I do.

I wear a Sox game to any baseball game I attend, even the AAA Indianapolis Indians. I like wearing baseball hats to baseball games, the Sox are my favorite team, and I don't own a hat for any other team. I've never had any problems even at Wrigley other than a little bit of good-natured ribbing.

doublem23
06-19-2014, 09:12 AM
I wear a Sox game to any baseball game I attend, even the AAA Indianapolis Indians. I like wearing baseball hats to baseball games, the Sox are my favorite team, and I don't own a hat for any other team. I've never had any problems even at Wrigley other than a little bit of good-natured ribbing.

Yeah, and I see plenty of people in Cubs hats at Sox games that maybe get a "Cubs suck" hurled their way but nothing more comes of it. Sometimes, though, just sometimes, there's a guy in full blown Cubs gear and you can tell he's just looking to pick a fight. Loud, obnoxious, etc. And those are always the guys I see actually getting in physical altercations in the park. Obviously I don't know what happened in this instance, but it has always been my experience that you have to go further over the line than just wearing Cubs paraphernalia.

kittle42
06-19-2014, 09:27 AM
it has always been my experience that you have to go further over the line than just wearing Cubs paraphernalia.

/thread

beasly213
06-19-2014, 09:45 AM
The last few posts have been making me think of this classic Seinfeld moment:

IIOI-Rs-eo0

Domeshot17
06-19-2014, 10:42 AM
The Dodgers/Giants thing is I believe the most heated, volatile, often on the edge of violence "rivalry" in American professional sports. People have died and one unfortunate Giants fan suffered permanent damage to the body and mind. It is beyond sad but that is one match up where it is wise for fans to tread very lightly. If you already know about it and I missed some levity in your post then just ignore this or have a laugh at my expense.

Oh I agree, that is the point I was making. There is just no reason to think the Cubs/Sox have that kind of HEAT between them other than because of turf. We don't play each other 18 times a year.

SoxFanCPA
06-19-2014, 12:00 PM
Oh, please.:rolleyes:

You can disagree, but in my opinion it's similar to not wearing a seatbelt. Probably nothing bad will happen if you don't wear it, but all it takes is one idiot to ruin your day.

kittle42
06-19-2014, 12:25 PM
You can disagree, but in my opinion it's similar to not wearing a seatbelt. Probably nothing bad will happen if you don't wear it, but all it takes is one idiot to ruin your day.

Wearing a Cubs hat to a Sox game equates to not wearing a seatbelt? Methinks the comparison is a bit off.

SaltyPretzel
06-19-2014, 12:37 PM
Wearing a Cubs hat to a Sox game equates to not wearing a seatbelt? Methinks the comparison is a bit off.

So is comparing wearing a Sox hat to a Cardinals-Nationals game to wearing a Cubs hat to a Sox game.

SoxFanCPA
06-19-2014, 01:45 PM
Did I say equates?

JB98
06-19-2014, 01:48 PM
Yeah, and I see plenty of people in Cubs hats at Sox games that maybe get a "Cubs suck" hurled their way but nothing more comes of it. Sometimes, though, just sometimes, there's a guy in full blown Cubs gear and you can tell he's just looking to pick a fight. Loud, obnoxious, etc. And those are always the guys I see actually getting in physical altercations in the park. Obviously I don't know what happened in this instance, but it has always been my experience that you have to go further over the line than just wearing Cubs paraphernalia.

That's exactly it. I've been to 217 Sox games since I moved back to the Chicago area a little over 10 years ago. I think I've seen people wearing Cubs gear at every single one of those 217 games. About 99.9 percent of those people avoid any sort of physical confrontation at the ballpark, because for the most part they aren't doing anything other than watching the game or hanging out with their friends. They bought their ticket; they have that right. No one is going to get punched simply because he or she is wearing a Cubs cap or jersey.

It's that dumb ****ing less than 1 percent that comes into the park wearing Cubs gear and looking to taunt somebody that oftentimes ends up getting in a fight. There's never an excuse for punching someone over a baseball game, but after six or seven innings of somebody yapping and a few too many beers, these things do happen.

The thing that sucks is isolated, random incidents such as this are used to portray the Sox organization, the ballpark, the fans and the neighborhood in a negative light.

TDog
06-19-2014, 01:52 PM
The last few posts have been making me think of this classic Seinfeld moment:

IIOI-Rs-eo0

That episode was inspired by an experience Larry David had that proved comical in a Larry David way. I think it was wearing a Yankees hat to a Dodgers game.

A cap is a small thing, but I wear a Sox cap to games in which the White Sox are playing. If I am going to a game where I believe wearing a Sox hat might generate aggression among others, I won't wear a Sox hat. (Obviously in Oakland wearing a Sox cap even when the Sox are in town might be provocative, but others know I have reason to be wearing a Sox hat and while doing so, I'm not being a jerk.) I wear a Sox hat when I am watching minor league baseball, such as the Modesto Nuts.

But wearing a Sox cap is not such an important fundamental human right that I suffer from not wearing one. Really, people have the right to wear my Sox cap during the national anthem. Even people who don't want to honor America take their caps off for pragmatic reasons.

I avoid the road rage of other drivers when I'm on the road, and I avoid being a target of baseball rage.

kittle42
06-19-2014, 02:30 PM
That's exactly it. I've been to 217 Sox games since I moved back to the Chicago area a little over 10 years ago. I think I've seen people wearing Cubs gear at every single one of those 217 games. About 99.9 percent of those people avoid any sort of physical confrontation at the ballpark, because for the most part they aren't doing anything other than watching the game or hanging out with their friends. They bought their ticket; they have that right. No one is going to get punched simply because he or she is wearing a Cubs cap or jersey.

It's that dumb ****ing less than 1 percent that comes into the park wearing Cubs gear and looking to taunt somebody that oftentimes ends up getting in a fight. There's never an excuse for punching someone over a baseball game, but after six or seven innings of somebody yapping and a few too many beers, these things do happen.

AMEN!

This post rules. I hereby declare everyone else other than JB98 wrong! :wink:

doublem23
06-19-2014, 03:37 PM
AMEN!

This post rules. I hereby declare everyone else other than JB98 wrong! :wink:

Hey, he was agreeing with me!

kittle42
06-19-2014, 03:43 PM
Hey, he was agreeing with me!

But he just said it so perfectly. :smile:

DrCrawdad
06-19-2014, 07:42 PM

The thing that sucks is isolated, random incidents such as this are used to portray the Sox organization, the ballpark, the fans and the neighborhood in a negative light.

Agree completely and my earlier comment (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3134267&postcount=4) was in my mind at least, meant in much the same way but provoked a "you never cease to amaze me" comment.

The idea that someone would face an altercation because of their jersey, even a Cubbie jersey at a Sox game, is repulsive to me. As you both mentioned, every time I'm at The Cell I see folks with Cubbie gear on. I only remember one incident, it was opening day in 2002 or 2003. There was a Cubbie fan going up and down the stairs in the UD behind HP taunting Sox fans. I don't think this Cubbie Clown got beat up but he was escorted out, perhaps to protect him.

DrCrawdad
06-22-2014, 11:06 PM
Jonathan Brandmeier has a conversation with Steven Rebenda. (http://abc7chicago.com/news/cubs-fan-says-he-was-beaten-outside-us-cellular-field/119599/) Brandmeier talks about this type of behavior as unique to Sox fans. Guess Brandmeier didn't hear about

* Cubs fans attack a Sox fan at a birthday party. The Sox fan loses his eye.
(http://prev.dailyherald.com/story/?id=224019)
* Cubs fans attack Brewers fan (http://prev.dailyherald.com/story/?id=249003)