PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6/9 Exhale Everyone Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
06-09-2014, 10:46 PM
Missed most of this one, but I guess I should be grateful for missing the stress of the ninth.

Boondock Saint
06-09-2014, 10:53 PM
I don't care if he comes from the minors, I don't care if he comes from the scrap heap, I don't care if he's 19 and I don't care if he's 39, but the Sox absolutely have to get a replacement for Alejandro De Aza. He is a minus at the plate, he is a minus on the basepaths, and he is a minus in the field. There is a guy somewhere who is at the very least not a minus at one of those things.

slavko
06-09-2014, 11:01 PM
I don't care if he comes from the minors, I don't care if he comes from the scrap heap, I don't care if he's 19 and I don't care if he's 39, but the Sox absolutely have to get a replacement for Alejandro De Aza. He is a minus at the plate, he is a minus on the basepaths, and he is a minus in the field. There is a guy somewhere who is at the very least not a minus at one of those things.

He's dangerous to others as well as himself. Memories of Podsednik or Ralph Garr on that fly ball. But they could hit and run the bases. Flowers has reverted with the bat and is too lazy to move his body to block pitches behind the plate. Could use a new guy there too.

How many of us wrote the game off after the first two batters in the 9th?

shingo10
06-09-2014, 11:07 PM
He's dangerous to others as well as himself. Memories of Podsednik or Ralph Garr on that fly ball. But they could hit and run the bases. Flowers has reverted with the bat and is too lazy to move his body to block pitches behind the plate. Could use a new guy there too.

How many of us wrote the game off after the first two batters in the 9th?

I did not see this ending well after those 2 plays. There has been some curious decisions this year by Robin (to say the least) but replacing Tank with Sierra seemed to be a good move. And then he loses one in the lights. Just can't win sometimes. De Aza's play was ridiculous. He has no business being out there and we are extremely lucky it didn't cost us the ballgame.

Caught a huge break with the call against Kinsler and then Hunter who usually lives to break our hearts grounds out. WHEW.

Never easy but always entertaining.

Tragg
06-09-2014, 11:17 PM
They could play L Garcia in the OF in late innings. He's going to be our super utility guy and could use some OF work.

24thStFan
06-09-2014, 11:44 PM
Just saw Eaton's running catch in the gap! Can't remember the last time I saw a Sox outfielder with such skill.

Like Hawk said, "beautiful catch, beautiful jump, beautiful route".

soxfanreggie
06-10-2014, 12:04 AM
Just saw Eaton's running catch in the gap! Can't remember the last time I saw a Sox outfielder with such skill.

Perhaps he's the new One-Dog!

LoveYourSuit
06-10-2014, 12:06 AM

Brian Anderson was as good as anyone getting quick jumps on balls.

Too bad the guy couldn't hit with a banjo.

As mentioned here, the Sox need to find another OF. Those two defensive replacements for the corners are not any better than if you play Dunn in LF and Viciedo in RF late in games.

Just awful.

JB98
06-10-2014, 12:20 AM
I did not see this ending well after those 2 plays. There has been some curious decisions this year by Robin (to say the least) but replacing Tank with Sierra seemed to be a good move. And then he loses one in the lights. Just can't win sometimes. De Aza's play was ridiculous. He has no business being out there and we are extremely lucky it didn't cost us the ballgame.

Caught a huge break with the call against Kinsler and then Hunter who usually lives to break our hearts grounds out. WHEW.

Maybe, but Eaton was called out on a very similar pitch earlier in the game. I would have been pissed had the ump not given Belisario that call.

Nice win today. I don't want to say this is a big series, because I don't think the Tigers will give a **** if they happen to lose it. But I do think it's important the Sox hold their own. They haven't done well against Detroit the last few years, and what better time than the present to start being more competitive against these guys?

I was glad to see Noesi throw strikes tonight. Yeah, he gave up three homers, but he only walked one. He was going after the hitters, and that's what I want to see.

JB98
06-10-2014, 12:22 AM
Brian Anderson was as good as anyone getting quick jumps on balls.

Too bad the guy couldn't hit with a banjo.

As mentioned here, the Sox need to find another OF. Those two defensive replacements for the corners are not any better than if you play Dunn in LF and Viciedo in RF late in games.

Just awful.

I'll defend Sierra to a point. I think he's better than Viciedo defensively and should continue to replace him when the Sox have the lead in the late innings. That said, he won't be winning any Gold Gloves out there. It's just that Viciedo is so awful that you'd rather have anybody else in RF. That play in the ninth, well, Sierra lost it in the lights. You can't catch what you can't see. It was a bad break for the Sox.

RCWHITESOX
06-10-2014, 12:40 AM
The Sox were very fortunate to win this game after giving the Tigers five outs in the inning. Both plays in the outfield were bad but DeAza's was little league at best. Why he is still on this roster is something I just can't understand. I have no idea who might be available but just about anyone would be better than keeping him on this roster.

TDog
06-10-2014, 03:39 AM
The Sox were very fortunate to win this game after giving the Tigers five outs in the inning. Both plays in the outfield were bad but DeAza's was little league at best. Why he is still on this roster is something I just can't understand. I have no idea who might be available but just about anyone would be better than keeping him on this roster.

Were the Tigers unfortunate to lose considering the the defense they played tonight?

doublem23
06-10-2014, 06:20 AM
Maybe, but Eaton was called out on a very similar pitch earlier in the game. I would have been pissed had the ump not given Belisario that call.

Yeah, people here are acting like Belisario bounced Strike 3 into the plate or something; not only was it a very close pitch that you would assume a hitter should be at least trying to foul off in a 2-Strike protect mode, Pitch FX thinks it was a strike:

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/location.php?pitchSel=430613&game=gid_2014_06_09_detmlb_chamlb_1/&batterX=75&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=3&league=mlb

TomBradley72
06-10-2014, 06:37 AM

Somebody call Brooks Boyer- this is a perfect slogan for our 2014 White Sox-:gulp:

TomBradley72
06-10-2014, 06:40 AM

Very little help at AAA/AA- Jordan Danks is starting to heat up at Charlotte- really no other options in the system- unless we want to give Semian OJT in LF at the major league level.

russ99
06-10-2014, 07:10 AM
Very little help at AAA/AA- Jordan Danks is starting to heat up at Charlotte- really no other options in the system- unless we want to give Semian OJT in LF at the major league level.

Plus we're short staffed due to Avisail's unexpected injury.

We're not contending this year anyway, just gotta ride it out and/or grab another DFA'd player off waivers like Sierra.

I expect the OF to have a shakeout this offseason, with Eaton and Garcia as the only keepers. Also, I'm very wary of the idea of Viciedo as DH, seems like a forced move, not an optimal one.

Going to be interesting to see how the trade deadline goes down for the Sox, since I can see 4-6 guys we can move for at least a decent return, and OF should be one of the places we should add another near-ready prospect.

DonnieDarko
06-10-2014, 07:22 AM

We're not contending this year anyway, just gotta ride it out and/or grab another DFA'd player off waivers like Sierra.

I expect the OF to have a shakeout this offseason, with Eaton and Garcia as the only keepers. Also, I'm very wary of the idea of Viciedo as DH, seems like a forced move, not an optimal one.

Going to be interesting to see how the trade deadline goes down for the Sox, since I can see 4-6 guys we can move for at least a decent return, and OF should be one of the places we should add another near-ready prospect.

I think that's why I hear the Sox are getting Semien work I the outfield. Either that or he's being groomed for the Super Utilityman role.

TomBradley72
06-10-2014, 07:45 AM

Now that Danks is hitting at AAA- they may want to bring him up- even if he hits as bad as De Aza he brings good defense along with it- give him one final shot at being the 5th OF on the 2015 Sox-

Platoon L. Garcia/Danks- so at least playing time is going to guys that might be part of the future

The upgrade in defense will help the pitching- can't believe how many errors/misplays our pitchers have to work through- we'll still be stuck with Viciedo and Flowers on defense- but as least it will be a slight improvement.

SCCWS
06-10-2014, 07:45 AM

It is amazing that this organization has not been able to draft and develop one young outfielder in what seems like ages. Lucikly Viciedo came along and even he could be gone. Jordan Danks is probably the best we have produced and kept. I worry about the scouting staff. After all you draft a lot of outfielders. You would think they would have found 1 the last few years.

dwalteroo
06-10-2014, 07:46 AM
Call me crazy, but aren't we running out of options with Jordan Danks? We've brought him up and sent him back a bazilli times.

Railsplitter
06-10-2014, 08:05 AM
:bandance:

I'd like to see the Sox play decent baseball on a consistent basis. The Sox have played five more games than the Tigers, so it remains to be seen if the having those extra games will result in the Tigers being tired down the stretch.

DumpJerry
06-10-2014, 08:11 AM
Call me crazy, but aren't we running out of options with Jordan Danks? We've brought him up and sent him back a bazilli times.
He was already up this year so bringing him up again won't use up an option.

Chez
06-10-2014, 08:40 AM
It's nice to win! Props to Petricka and Putnam for restoring order once Detroit had figured out Noesi after the first time through the line-up. It's hard to believe the Sox don't have an adequate replacement in their system for De Aza.

voodoochile
06-10-2014, 08:54 AM

His throw to third after the catch and tag with one out in the ninth was impressive too. I thought he had the guy but was slightly off line. Still, to throw the ball from that deep to third on one hop and arrive at the same time as the runner shows a heck of an arm.

doublem23
06-10-2014, 09:16 AM
I think that's why I hear the Sox are getting Semien work I the outfield. Either that or he's being groomed for the Super Utilityman role.

Granted it's only been 9 games since Marcus was back in Charlotte, but since then he has played:

2 games at 2B
2 games at SS
1 game at 3B
1 game in LF
3 games as DH

Looks like it could be just getting him regular at bats, as much as anything. Bad news is he's off to a little bit of a slow start with 7 hits in 39 plate appearances. Good new is 4 of those have been XBH, and he's walked 9 times compared to 2 strikeouts.

doublem23
06-10-2014, 09:19 AM
He was already up this year so bringing him up again won't use up an option.

Yeah, does anyone know of a site that tracks options left? I can't imagine Jordan has many, if any, left to use after this season

vinny
06-10-2014, 09:47 AM
Yeah, does anyone know of a site that tracks options left? I can't imagine Jordan has many, if any, left to use after this season

He's been up and down from AAA in 2012, 2013, and 2014 according to Baseball Reference (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=danks-001jor), and spent more than 20 days in the minors each year, so that should mean this is his last option season.

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/principles/contract-details/player-options/

edit: MLB Trade Rumors has a page listing players who were out of options as of the start of the 2014 season:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/out-of-options-2014

Noneck
06-10-2014, 10:39 AM
Props to Petricka and Putnam for restoring order once Detroit had figured out Noesi after the first time through the line-up.

Petricka has been good from day one and gets no love here. Putnam has been good since hes been brought up. Two of the three unsung players this year, Gillaspie is the other.

doublem23
06-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Petricka has been good from day one and gets no love here. Putnam has been good since hes been brought up. Two of the three unsung players this year, Gillaspie is the other.

You could throw Noesi in that group, who has really saved the starting rotation. The Sox are 5-2 in his last 7 starts, and he has a 3.86 ERA and 1.38 WHIP over that span. He got bumped to the rotation at about the same time Sale got hurt, and Paulino and Johnson got sent down; not many teams stay afloat when 3/5 of their Opening Day starting rotation all vanish at once, but he, probably as much as anyone else, has helped keep this season at least respectable.

Noneck
06-10-2014, 10:59 AM
You could throw Noesi in that group, who has really saved the starting rotation. The Sox are 5-2 in his last 7 starts, and he has a 3.86 ERA and 1.38 WHIP over that span. He got bumped to the rotation at about the same time Sale got hurt, and Paulino and Johnson got sent down; not many teams stay afloat when 3/5 of their Opening Day starting rotation all vanish at once, but he, probably as much as anyone else, has helped keep this season at least respectable.

I guess Noesi would be number 4 behind Petricka, Gillaspie, Putnam, its a seniority thing.

hawkjt
06-10-2014, 12:00 PM
I guess Noesi would be number 4 behind Petricka, Gillaspie, Putnam, its a seniority thing.

Agree with that list. Bellasario has also really been good most of the season.

Tigers started the season by going 27-12, but are 6-15 since.
They have tons of talent, but their bullpen is the worst in the AL.

Verlander tonite....Kate Upton's 22nd birthday today..so maybe he will be pre-occupied?
Hope the rain holds off.

Beckham needs to get a nod also...over the last month he has been one of the best hitters on the team, and is over .300 now.

Sox are going to need to score 5-6 runs to beat this Tigers offense so better be ready for the slumping Verlander tonite.

Losing last nite could have been almost a mortal blow in extending the losing streak to 4, and falling into last place.

Now, they need to take 3 of 4...get tonites game, and then hope that Sale can beat Scherzer, who is also slumping.

JB98
06-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Agree with that list. Bellasario has also really been good most of the season.

Tigers started the season by going 27-12, but are 6-15 since.
They have tons of talent, but their bullpen is the worst in the AL.

Verlander tonite....Kate Upton's 22nd birthday today..so maybe he will be pre-occupied?
Hope the rain holds off.

Beckham needs to get a nod also...over the last month he has been one of the best hitters on the team, and is over .300 now.

Sox are going to need to score 5-6 runs to beat this Tigers offense so better be ready for the slumping Verlander tonite.

Losing last nite could have been almost a mortal blow in extending the losing streak to 4, and falling into last place.

Now, they need to take 3 of 4...get tonites game, and then hope that Sale can beat Scherzer, who is also slumping.

Beckham was probably the saddest man in the ballpark last night when Porcello was removed from the game. He's 15 for 32 lifetime against him, including 3 for 3 with two doubles last night.

Crestani
06-10-2014, 01:02 PM
Now that Danks is hitting at AAA- they may want to bring him up- even if he hits as bad as De Aza he brings good defense along with it- give him one final shot at being the 5th OF on the 2015 Sox-

Platoon L. Garcia/Danks- so at least playing time is going to guys that might be part of the future

The upgrade in defense will help the pitching- can't believe how many errors/misplays our pitchers have to work through- we'll still be stuck with Viciedo and Flowers on defense- but as least it will be a slight improvement.

Flowers has to be the worst defensive catcher in the Majors..!! Besides his penchant for past balls and his slow response time for throwing runners out, I believe every hitter knows what's coming if they are in an 0-2 count. I mean, who besides Flowers stands straight up to show the pitcher a target for high fast ball that no one could reach..?? Oh yeah, they do that in little league..!!

#1swisher
06-10-2014, 04:58 PM
Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN (https://twitter.com/DanHayesCSN) 20h (https://twitter.com/DanHayesCSN/status/476177098793820160)

Gordon Beckham is 3-for-3 with 2 doubles. If you haven't been paying attention, this kind of stuff has gone on since May 6. #WhiteSox (https://twitter.com/hashtag/WhiteSox?src=hash)

(https://twitter.com/hashtag/WhiteSox?src=hash)

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/images/smilies/ngbbs450d0391e9c80.gif (https://twitter.com/hashtag/WhiteSox?src=hash)