PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6/8 Postgame Thread

kittle42
06-08-2014, 05:58 PM
This team has 3/5 of a real rotation, a patchwork bullpen, bad defense, bad baserunning, a couple players who were playing way over their heads offensively, and a bad manager. If they can stay near .500, trade off movable pieces, and keep building that way, 2015 can be exciting.

24thStFan
06-08-2014, 06:06 PM
Inconsistency is all we can expect from this team. We look good in Chavez Ravine and then go to Anaheim and crap the bed.

One thing we can (and should) improve this year is the defense. The errors are maddening and have cost us too many games. We don't have to wait until next year to work on fielding.

kittle42
06-08-2014, 06:18 PM
One thing we can (and should) improve this year is the defense. The errors are maddening and have cost us too many games. We don't have to wait until next year to work on fielding.

Shouldn't our wiz of a glove manager be able to impart some wisdom? Or is that somehow one of his coaches' calls, too?

24thStFan
06-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Shouldn't our wiz of a glove manager be able to impart some wisdom? Or is that somehow one of his coaches' calls, too?

I'm sure Robin sees what we all see. Hell, even Hawk and Stone talked about the high number of errors on the broadcast today.

What I don't understand is that nothing ever seems to be done to address these issues. I never read about extra fielding or base running practice being held.

Is this a baseball thing? You know, don't mess with the team's psyche or something?

Tragg
06-08-2014, 07:14 PM
A lot of work to do between now and July 31. I'd like to see the low/medium minors stacked with some high ceiling guys.

joegraz
06-08-2014, 07:37 PM
This started off as such a fun team to watch. It's obvious they peaked early, and that this is who they really are. Sigh.

Ventura as a manager makes me ill. He even looks lame when he's tossed. Kinda like charging Nolan Ryan and politely inserting his head into Ryan's headlock. Kinda like we all knew who he really was when he got the job.

Soxman219
06-08-2014, 07:50 PM
Upcoming homestand will decide where the season is heading. Either the Sox show up at home or we start to think about trading players.

kittle42
06-08-2014, 08:20 PM
Upcoming homestand will decide where the season is heading. Either the Sox show up at home or we start to think about trading players.

They were likely starting to think about trading players before camp broke, and rightfully so.

Noneck
06-08-2014, 08:31 PM
A lot of work to do between now and July 31. I'd like to see the low/medium minors stacked with some high ceiling guys.

By trading what? Ramirez and who else?

doublem23
06-08-2014, 10:19 PM
Saving the wins for Detroit. Good strategy.

Crestani
06-08-2014, 10:24 PM
Saving the wins for Detroit. Good strategy.

Teal please...!!!

TomBradley72
06-08-2014, 10:33 PM
13th in AL for runs scored in May, 11th so far in June + 14th in team fielding (28th in MLB overall)- not looking good-

amsteel
06-08-2014, 10:39 PM
13th in AL for runs scored in May, 11th so far in June + 14th in team fielding (28th in MLB overall)- not looking good-

Looks a lot like last year.

Brian26
06-08-2014, 10:49 PM
Things turn in a hurry. Friday afternoon, the Sox were 2.5 games out of first.

doublem23
06-08-2014, 11:18 PM
Things turn in a hurry. Friday afternoon, the Sox were 2.5 games out of first.

I'm honestly surprised at how much people's emotions ebb and flow with a team that has basically been within shouting distance of .500 all season long.

They looked bad this weekend. They'll probably look good later this week. Then they'll look bad again. Then they'll look good again.

That's life in the middle of the MLB pack.

RCWHITESOX
06-08-2014, 11:22 PM

Well if they lay an egg against Detroit I am sure the trade Sale brigade will be out and running. Will they ever learn?

BainesHOF
06-08-2014, 11:49 PM
I'm honestly surprised at how much people's emotions ebb and flow with a team that has basically been within shouting distance of .500 all season long.

They looked bad this weekend. They'll probably look good later this week. Then they'll look bad again. Then they'll look good again.

The Sox are not in the middle of the MLB pack.

doublem23
06-09-2014, 12:09 AM

60+ games into the season, haven't won more than 4 games in a row, haven't lost more than 4 games in a row, and have not been more than 3 games above or below .500 all season. That's about as middle of the road as a team can be.

Mohoney
06-09-2014, 12:23 AM

100% correct. Considering that the middle of the pack is HUGE this year, with only the two teams in the Bay Area and Toronto really setting the world on fire, it makes the knee-jerk reactions even more crazy. I guess Milwaukee could be lumped in with the elite teams based on their hot start, but since opening the year 20-7, the Brewers have gone 17-19 since. On the flip side of the Brewers falling back to the rest of the pack, Arizona, after starting the season off dreadfully, has been surprisingly decent for an extended stretch lately, going 19-15 after an 8-22 start.

Three teams are tied for the NL East lead at three games over .500 right now, and that record is setting the pace right now for both the NL Wild Card spots. The Twins, sitting at three games under .500, are still only 3.5 games out of the second AL Wild Card spot. The Rockies and Pirates, at four games under .500, are only 3.5 games out of both NL Wild Card spots.

16 of MLB's 30 teams are somewhere between four games over and four games under .500 right now.

kufram
06-09-2014, 04:27 AM

I agree. We beat ourselves too much, but I believe that we will score late again soon to win a game and the thread will be all about how much fun these guys are to watch. Consider that last year the team capitulated after the opponent scored a run. We need to get the swagger back again, yes ... hopefully Abreu & co. help us do that against Detroit. It would be very good timing.

Hitmen77
06-09-2014, 09:13 AM

Seriously.

kittle42
06-09-2014, 09:42 AM

No kidding - we knew what the season was likely to be before it began, and it has actually been a little better. But getting overemotional about the 2014 White Sox is not good for one's mental health. IMO, just enjoy the baseball season for what it is, hope the team wins, but understand that it's really next year they are working toward.

kittle42
06-09-2014, 09:44 AM

18/30 is pretty middle of the pack, is it not?

doublem23
06-09-2014, 09:51 AM
No kidding - we knew what the season was likely to be before it began, and it has actually been a little better. But getting overemotional about the 2014 White Sox is not good for one's mental health. IMO, just enjoy the baseball season for what it is, hope the team wins, but understand that it's really next year they are working toward.

I get that asking people to root for .500 is a littl counter intutive to the average sports fan, but given that the Sox were the 3rd worst MLB team last year and by all accounts were one of the 3-5 worst MILB systems, to jump from that point to .500ish/middle of the pack in one season is, to me, tremendous growth.

I get that maybe Sox fans are tired of just hoping for a "2nd place team that is good but not really competitive," but we're not coming from a place of half a dozen consecutive 2nd place finishes like we normally are.

At any rate, I understand why people were miffed about the loss on Saturday, I was really pissed I stayed up to watch that whole ****show, but overall I think this team has been a remarkable success story. Hopefully now that the lineup is close to being 100% healthy again they'll find the groove they were in earlier in the year.

kittle42
06-09-2014, 10:10 AM
I get that asking people to root for .500 is a littl counter intutive to the average sports fan, but given that the Sox were the 3rd worst MLB team last year and by all accounts were one of the 3-5 worst MILB systems, to jump from that point to .500ish/middle of the pack in one season is, to me, tremendous growth.

I get that maybe Sox fans are tired of just hoping for a "2nd place team that is good but not really competitive," but we're not coming from a place of half a dozen consecutive 2nd place finishes like we normally are.

At any rate, I understand why people were miffed about the loss on Saturday, I was really pissed I stayed up to watch that whole ****show, but overall I think this team has been a remarkable success story. Hopefully now that the lineup is close to being 100% healthy again they'll find the groove they were in earlier in the year.

Exactly.

Tragg
06-09-2014, 10:38 AM
anyone except Sale, Quintana, Eaton and Abreu.

We could move several bullpen pitchers.

Foulke You
06-09-2014, 10:49 AM

Completely agree. I'm resigned to the fact that this team will be teasing us all year. They will win 3, lose 3, win 2, lose 2, etc. Two months into the season and they haven't put together a prolonged winning streak or a prolonged losing streak. Barring injury, I see no reason why this is going to change. This could have very easily been a 4W-2L road trip but their inability to catch the baseball on Monday against LAD and Saturday against LAA cost them two games. This team isn't talented enough to give extra outs and when they do, they get punished quickly. Unless they improve in that category, it will be difficult to go on a big winning streak. At least they are competitive this year and have shown improvement.

Chez
06-09-2014, 10:56 AM

Agreed. I came into the season hoping for 75 wins. Now I'm hoping for 81. We are heading in the right direction. It's a re-build; let's be patient.

doublem23
06-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Completely agree. I'm resigned to the fact that this team will be teasing us all year.

Me as well but it is an improvement over last year's team which was a repeated square kick to the nuts every night until I stopped feeling feelings. Which was no good.