PDA

View Full Version : The Cubune is not bias. Yeah, sure...

PaleHoseGeorge
08-11-2002, 10:17 AM
I could request violin music while I note for you Sammy Sosa's giant picture under the screaming headline "Sosational!" on the front page of today's Cubune Sports. Not even the Bears' first pre-season game could compete with the triumph of the 16-games-under-.500 Flubbie hero.

No, instead I'll note the stupid letters to the editor section. Why I bother reading this is beyond me.

Check this out.

The first letter, "Curious Argument" by Chip Marshall, takes the side of the Cubune in its dispute with the local owners. He as much as calls the owner of Murphy's Bleachers a hypocrite for profiting from his bar's location across from Wrigley.

Next comes "Wrigley Whine" by Bill Haig, who sarcastically takes shots at Sammy for complaining about day games at home. How can the Cubune possibly cover this subject in an objective manner?

The third letter comes from Don Pawl, "Rethinking '69 collapse" where he fearlessly suggests the Cubs didn't collapse at all, losing eight more games than they won down the stretch. Instead, it was the Mets greatness that cost the Cubs the division title! Somebody tell this guy the '69 Flubbies won a pathetic 92 games. That's the record of a playoff pretender, not contender.

Now to counter all this Flubbie fan absolution, how about some Sox Fan negativity?

The next letter comes a Sox Fan named Jack Udelfhofen who notes Dan Evans is having a better year than Kenny Williams, drawing the conclusion the Sox goofed. Well, it's hard to make a solid argument when the Cubune only gives you three paragraphs, isn't it Jeff?

Another Sox Fan, Joseph Rous, says the house cleaning at Comiskey ought to include the "self-serving and egotistical" Hawk Harrelson. What his point was, only the Lord knows.

Anybody drawing a paycheck from the Cubune just needs to grin and bear it. It's their corporate officers that put them into this ethical bind. If they don't like having their objectivity called into question, they can quit their jobs and go work someplace where the cloud of doubt isn't so obviously hanging over their heads.

Talk about hypocrites...

sox_fan_forever
08-11-2002, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Why I bother reading this is beyond me.

Yes, it's quite beyond me too. I also read that this morning and I'm trying to figure out why. In fact, I read it every week...why I don't know. :?:

Jerry_Manuel
08-11-2002, 02:54 PM
I could request violin music while I note for you Sammy Sosa's giant picture under the screaming headline "Sosational!" on the front page of today's Cubune Sports. Not even the Bears' first pre-season game could compete with the triumph of the 16-games-under-.500 Flubbie hero.

The next letter comes a Sox Fan named Jack Udelfhofen who notes Dan Evans is having a better year than Kenny Williams, drawing the conclusion the Sox goofed. Well, it's hard to make a solid argument when the Cubune only gives you three paragraphs, isn't it Jeff?

Another Sox Fan, Joseph Rous, says the house cleaning at Comiskey ought to include the "self-serving and egotistical" Hawk Harrelson. What his point was, only the Lord knows.

I'd rather see something on his three homers then the crap the Bears threw out on Saturday.

When Evans has killed the Dodgers in a few years we'll se how Jack feels then.

He had no point. Hawk is an ass-kisser we all know that. If you don't like Hawk and DJ turn the sound off then. Not very hard to do.

WhiteSox = Life
08-11-2002, 08:44 PM
Why I bother reading this is beyond me.

On a few occasions, I've read both the Tribune and the Sun-Times in the same day, and here's why I believe we read the Tribune instead of the Sun-Times:

1. The sports coverage deals with the major league sports, whereas the Times covers all kinds of different sports, most of which nobody cares about.

2. (This might be only me) The Tribune has pull-out sections, so you can carry around Metro or Tempo or Sports without having to lug about the whole kit 'n' kaboodle.

3. And, most importantly, I think that the Tribune caters to Chicago. The Sun-Times labels itself as "The Most Read Newpaper in the Midwest" and while it deals with Chicago Sports, there's just that empty feeling that you get when you realize that this paper isn't Chicagoan; it's Midwestern.

Anyway, those are my two cents.

Daver
08-11-2002, 08:52 PM
My suggestion is to read the Southtown and use the other two papers to line a parakeet cage............