PDA

View Full Version : Sosa refuses team charter

OKCSoxFan
08-10-2002, 11:53 PM
from espn.com:
ESPN.com news services

DENVER -- Sammy Sosa and five other members of the Chicago Cubs decided not to take the team's charter flight from San Francisco to Denver on Thursday night.

Sosa was uneasy about the prospect of flying on a Northwest Airlines plane that had encountered trouble twice earlier in the season, including an emergency landing at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport.

"There are two strikes already," Sosa told the Chicago Tribune on Friday. "Three strikes, you're out. If I'm going to die, I want to die my way."

Sosa invited teammates Moises Alou, Fred McGriff, Todd Hundley and Delino DeShields on his private plane. DeShields ended up getting released by the Cubs on Friday.

Corey Patterson also opted against taking the Northwest charter, and paid $270 to fly United.

"Anytime you're in the air you're taking a chance," Patterson told the Tribune. "But if you know for a fact that something has been a problem... they said they inspected (the plane), but I don't know if they worked on it or just looked at it and said, 'It's fine.'"

After player representative Joe Girardi expressed concerns about the flight, Cubs general manager Jim Hendry met with players to offer alternatives.

"We're not in a position to make somebody get on a plane they don't want to get on," Hendry, who took the charter, told the newspaper.

"But the plane was very, very solid. The White Sox took it twice in the last two weeks.

"I'm no different than them. I might not be as valuable to the Cubs as they are, but I have a wife and kids too."

Hendry said Northwest officials had inspected the plane, which caused a scare on the Cubs' recent trip from St. Louis. A faulty instrument panel apparently led the pilot to believe that the landing gear wasn't down. As a result, the plane had aborted a landing at the last minute.

Traveling secretary Jimmy Bank told the newspaper the Cubs were tentatively scheduled to use the Northwest charter up to four more times.

The team canceled plans to take it for the return trip to Chicago after Sunday's game.

"I'm not taking it -- period," Sosa told the Tribune. "With my private jet I know there's no trouble there."

_____

For the record, the way Reinsdorf is trying to take down this club, the Sox riding on the plane doesn' necessarily mean it's safe. And I'm glad to see that Corey Patterson paid out of his pocket a whopping $270 for the United ticket. I'm sure he racked up a lot of frequestn flyer miles with his many trips back down to the minors the past few years, so I'm surprised he didn't cash those in!

Viva Magglio
08-10-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by OKCSoxFan
"There are two strikes already," Sosa told the Chicago Tribune on Friday. "Three strikes, you're out. If I'm going to die, I want to die my way."

What exactly is Sosa's way to die?

Viva Magglio
08-11-2002, 12:01 AM
"But the plane was very, very solid. The White Sox took it twice in the last two weeks."

:angry: We've been using this plane too? I don't blame Sosa for not wanting to fly it. And I don't want our players on it either. I'm not saying the plane is a flying tragedy waiting to happen, but I want my team flying on the safest aircraft possible.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-11-2002, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

LOL

Sosa's way to die is from Alcohol poisoning after a long night with his buddy Jay

:discomoron

"Come on shammy, lets go back to my place."

CubKilla
08-11-2002, 12:05 AM

Nude, with two blonde whores snorting up $20,000 in coke, and a steroid syringe needle sticking out of his a$$.

Jjav829
08-11-2002, 12:06 AM

:angry: We've been using this plane too? I don't blame Sosa for not wanting to fly it. And I don't want our players on it either. I'm not saying the plane is a flying tragedy waiting to happen, but I want my team flying on the safest aircraft possible.

:jerry
"Relax, relax. The plane was fine when we took it. It was only after I tinkered with the plane that it experienced problems. Oops!"

LongDistanceFan
08-11-2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by OKCSoxFan

"I'm not taking it -- period," Sosa told the Tribune. "With my private jet I know there's no trouble there."

oh i am sooo happy that he had to throw that in. who is he trying to impress?

i wonder why corey didn't go with sHamme.

danman31
08-11-2002, 01:03 AM
Did the Cubs release DeShields because he wouldn't ride in the charter? He was the only non-untouchable of those who didn't ride in it.

ilovemags30
08-11-2002, 01:29 AM
[i]
"There are two strikes already," Sosa told the Chicago Tribune on Friday. "Three strikes, you're out. If I'm going to die, I want to die my way."[/B]

get on the plane sammy, get on the plane!!!!! :D:

rmusacch
08-11-2002, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan

I think it is bull****. He did not offer the other players a chance to fly with him, shows what he thinks of them.

WhiteSox = Life
08-11-2002, 05:03 AM
While I see nothing wrong with a player deciding that he didn't want to get on a plane that was experiencing troubles, what Sham-Me did once again showed that he is an egotistical, self-loving, unclassy player. Not only did he make comments about "my private jet", he had the nerve to only invite his close, personal friends. Why someone on the Cubs does not say something about Sham-Me's self-centered behavior is beyond me. What's the worst that could happen to him? Getting released? :smile:

We all know, of course, that the Tribune will be saying how this was a good move on Sosa's part while not mentioning the part about him only inviting his pals. So much for a team game, huh?

My only hope is that, soon, somebody with guts, who writes for the Cubune or the Cub-Times, will blast Sosa for all of his goings-on. Problem is: there is no one.

Oh well, enough for my rantings.

"Now boarding Steroid Airlines. Please keep your seats upright and your needles in the horizontally down position. 'You are now free to inject away.' "

:gulp:

PaleHoseGeorge
08-11-2002, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829

"Relax, relax. The plane was fine when we took it. It was only after I tinkered with the plane that it experienced problems. Oops!"

LOL!!! Good one!

"What's this rear stabilizer good for? Ward, Pettis! Help me bring this up to the front of the plane. I'm curious whether we won't arrive a bit quicker with this thing riding first-class with us up front."

:garyward :garypettis
"If Kenny says it's okay, we'll help you."

:KW
"Sure fellas, no problem. But first help me turn over this food buffet table."

CubKilla
08-11-2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan

Corey didn't go with ShamME because he wouldn't fit in the cabin with Soso's big head.

rmusacch
08-11-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
While I see nothing wrong with a player deciding that he didn't want to get on a plane that was experiencing troubles, what Sham-Me did once again showed that he is an egotistical, self-loving, unclassy player. Not only did he make comments about "my private jet", he had the nerve to only invite his close, personal friends. Why someone on the Cubs does not say something about Sham-Me's self-centered behavior is beyond me. What's the worst that could happen to him? Getting released? :smile:

We all know, of course, that the Tribune will be saying how this was a good move on Sosa's part while not mentioning the part about him only inviting his pals. So much for a team game, huh?

My only hope is that, soon, somebody with guts, who writes for the Cubune or the Cub-Times, will blast Sosa for all of his goings-on. Problem is: there is no one.

Oh well, enough for my rantings.

"Now boarding Steroid Airlines. Please keep your seats upright and your needles in the horizontally down position. 'You are now free to inject away.' "

:gulp:

Agreed, with the part about inviting only his close personal friends. It says to me that he does not care about the rest of his teammates.

cheeses_h_rice
08-11-2002, 01:50 PM
A couple of points to make...

-These guys sound like idiots, the way they describe the maintenance issues with the Northwest plane. Dollars to donuts, the aircraft that you and I travel on have similar "problems" once a week. That's why the airlines have an assload of maintenance people stationed all over the country (or agreements with qualified companies). An airline piece of equipment is designed and made to be a workhorse, with proper maintenance. What makes Sosa so sure that his Own Private Jet would be any safer? (Hint: private aircraft have a worst accident record than airline equipment.)

-As for Sham-ME not inviting the whole team, chances are he owns a Gulfstream IV or V (very high-end jets preferred by the rich & famoo), whose seating capacities wouldn't allow for that many people. They usually have seating capacities of about 14-16 passengers.

RKMeibalane
08-11-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

Agreed, with the part about inviting only his close personal friends. It says to me that he does not care about the rest of his teammates.

It bothers me that the Tribune won't criticize him for this. If Frank Thomas had done this, we all know what would have happened. I can understand Sosa not wanting to fly on the charter, but he could have payed to take another flight instead of using the private plane.

Corey Patterson probably didn't want to travel with Sosa because he's the only member of that team who understands how egotistical Sammy is.