PDA

View Full Version : Manny Ramirez joins Iowa Cubs

SoxSpeed22
05-25-2014, 01:42 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/manny-ramirez-to-join-cubs-as-player-coach-at-triple-a-iowa-160758318.html
Interesting.

Brian26
05-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Theo is quoted in the MLB.com article as saying that Manny will not take ABs away from the developing kids. That's an incredible statement. If he gets ONE at bat, he's taking away from the minor leaguers that Theo has been building up over the past three years. If I was a Cub fan, this move would seem hypocritical. I would suppose see it as a good faith gesture to bring him on as a coach, but Theo leaves the door open for Manny to find the old magic and catch on with another team, on Cubs time. Unreal. That's circus crap.

mrfourni
05-25-2014, 04:21 PM
It pays to cheat in baseball

TheVulture
05-26-2014, 12:31 AM
. If he gets ONE at bat, he's taking away from the minor leaguers that Theo has been building up over the past three years.
I don't know about that. Take a look at the Iowa roster, it is full of veteran AAAA players just like most AAA teams. There's only 4 or 5 actual prospects amongst the batters on the roster and just as many in the 28-34 age range getting significant at bats.

Brian26
05-26-2014, 09:59 AM
I don't know about that. Take a look at the Iowa roster, it is full of veteran AAAA players just like most AAA teams. There's only 4 or 5 actual prospects amongst the batters on the roster and just as many in the 28-34 age range getting significant at bats.

Actually, didn't know that Casper Wells caught on with the Cubs.

DumpJerry
05-26-2014, 10:14 AM
This was part of Theo's Master Plan all along.

HomeFish
05-26-2014, 01:27 PM
I don't know anything about the Iowa Cubs roster, but there's no way that every player on their AAA roster is a legitimate major league prospect.

Brian26
05-26-2014, 04:40 PM
I don't know anything about the Iowa Cubs roster, but there's no way that every player on their AAA roster is a legitimate major league prospect.

What's the point of giving any at bat whatsoever to Manny, who was a flame out four years ago with the Sox? Whether Casper Wells and Josh Vitters are legit prospects or re-treads, why would you give Manny AB's at all? Really hard to see how anyone could defend that when the entire organizational philosophy over the past three years being fed to the lemming fans is about rebuilding the minor league system. Justifying it by saying Casper Wells sucks isn't the point. Give the guy a coaching job to help out the struggling Latin guys like Baez in Trip-A, I understand that. Letting him play on the team when he's only played just a bit of independent ball since 2010 is really odd. Any other team, any other player, any other situation probably wouldn't so glaringly hypocritical, but if I were a Flub fan, this one would strike me in the wrong way. But, ultimately, it's up to them.

doublem23
05-26-2014, 08:36 PM

I don't know about that, have you seen their MLB roster? Probably could swap out the AAA team and no one would know the difference, at least the position players.

soxfanreggie
05-26-2014, 09:35 PM
A way to boost attendance, but that's about all I see it as. Is there actually anyone down there you'd want him working with?

GoSox2K3
05-28-2014, 10:59 AM
Maybe Theo has a fondness for one of his secrets to success in Boston. What better way to be a genius who wins the World Series than to be hired by a team that has already has a $20M/year slugger putting up HOF numbers at the heart of its lineup?