PDA

View Full Version : New Potential Trade Partner for Dunn

Soxcess
05-22-2014, 06:17 PM
The Texas Rangers. Prince Fielder is going to have neck surgery and will be out for the rest of the season. Seeing as the Sox and Rangers have been trade partners in the past, I think this is a perfect fit.

Dunn goes home to Texas and the Sox finally move Adam Dunn, albeit three years too late.

DickAllen72
05-22-2014, 07:20 PM
Dunn for Rios. Get 'er done, Rick.

:tongue:

Moses_Scurry
05-22-2014, 08:22 PM
God it pisses me off that the Tigers got rid of him.

asindc
05-22-2014, 09:28 PM

Same here. When the trade news broke, I texted my Tigers fan buddy to tell that Texas just did them a huge favor. :mad:

Hitmen77
05-22-2014, 10:05 PM

No kidding. Amazing that the Tigers found a team stupid enough to take on Fielder's contract. He's getting $24M/year until 2020. :o: Even with Detroit paying $30M and taking on Kinsler's contract, it still was a great deal for the Tigers.

doublem23
05-22-2014, 11:05 PM
No kidding. Amazing that the Tigers found a team stupid enough to take on Fielder's contract. He's getting $24M/year until 2020. :o: Even with Detroit paying $30M and taking on Kinsler's contract, it still was a great deal for the Tigers.

Especially if the Tigers are able to use that cash they saved to lock down Scherzer.

DumpJerry
05-22-2014, 11:20 PM
If the Rangers want to unload that waste of humanity known as Yu Darvish on the White Sox for Dunn, I suppose we could somehow justify the move at our end.

Brian26
05-22-2014, 11:26 PM
Dunn & Leurys for Cotts, Fraser and Rios.

Golden Sox
05-23-2014, 10:09 AM
It might not happen this year but I wouldn't be surprised to see Dunn playing for the Royals. Dunn is a free agent after this season and the Royals might sign him. As of yesterday the entire Royals team has hit only 20 home runs. The Royals are not happy with Bill Butler and unless he starts hitting he won't be back in KC next year. I'm really curious to see what kind of contract Dunn signs next season.

JohnTucker0814
05-23-2014, 10:56 AM
Dunn & Davidson for Gallo

Domeshot17
05-23-2014, 11:01 AM
I dont think the Rangers are going to be buying big on any rentals after the disaster of Garza last year

SBSoxFan
05-23-2014, 11:01 AM
Apparently Profar is gone for the season as well. So, the Rangers might be looking for additional help at second base.

Dunn and Beckham for who?

Chez
05-23-2014, 11:28 AM
Dunn & Leurys for Cotts, Fraser and Rios.

I'd only make that trade if the Rangers send us Lillibridge too. Probably a deal breaker for Texas.

#1swisher
05-23-2014, 12:45 PM
Adam Hoge @AdamHoge (https://twitter.com/AdamHoge) 14h (https://twitter.com/AdamHoge/status/469668546642214912)

(https://twitter.com/AdamHoge/status/469668546642214912)

And zero with the White Sox. #MinorDetail (https://twitter.com/hashtag/MinorDetail?src=hash)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BoSZDT8CAAAATRq.jpg:large

Bobby Thigpen
05-23-2014, 02:25 PM
It might not happen this year but I wouldn't be surprised to see Dunn playing for the Royals. Dunn is a free agent after this season and the Royals might sign him. As of yesterday the entire Royals team has hit only 20 home runs. The Royals are not happy with Bill Butler and unless he starts hitting he won't be back in KC next year. I'm really curious to see what kind of contract Dunn signs next season.
I thought that exact thing the other night when they were in KC. It actually would probably be a great spot for him.

WSox597
05-23-2014, 05:13 PM
And where of course, he will torture the Sox until he retires. Trade him back to the NL.

gosox41
05-23-2014, 10:56 PM
Dunn & Davidson for Gallo

While getting something for Dunn would be nice, I'd just trade him and his contract for a bucket of balls and then make Semien your everyday third baseman, Gilliespie to first (until Abreu gets back.)

Bob

SOXSINCE'70
06-07-2014, 05:41 PM
Especially if the Tigers are able to use that cash they saved to lock down Scherzer.

Scherzer just turned down 8 yrs,144 mill.

I don't think he'll be a Tiger in 2015.

soxfanreggie
06-07-2014, 09:04 PM
Scherzer just turned down 8 yrs,144 mill.

I don't think he'll be a Tiger in 2015.

I heard it was 6 years, $144 mil. I'm guessing he may be looking towards 7 or 8 years or a bit more money.

Steelrod
06-08-2014, 07:50 AM
the different between 8 years and 6 years at $144 million is ZERO. Not even my wife could spend that kind of money in three lifetimes!

TheVulture
06-08-2014, 02:06 PM
the different between 8 years and 6 years at $144 million is ZERO. Not even my wife could spend that kind of money in three lifetimes!

Please, I could spend that in one afternoon:

http://www.imaginelifestyles.com/luxuryliving/wp-content/uploads/blog/files/u3/alfa-nero.jpg

kittle42
06-08-2014, 03:39 PM

Money is money, and there is a huge difference between $18 million and $24 million per year.

I hate this whole "They already make X amount" stuff. I'm not rich, either, but let's be real here. More money is more money, whether you are Bill Gates or Fred the handyman.

balke
06-08-2014, 03:46 PM
With Moreland out, does Dunn net Gallo in a trade right now?

soxnut1018
06-08-2014, 11:39 PM
Random stat mentioned during tonight's Red Sox-Tigers game after David Ortiz gave Boston the lead with a 3 run homer in the ninth:

Of active players, Ortiz has the third most game-tying or go-ahead home runs in the ninth inning or later. Number one? Adam Dunn.

TomBradley72
06-09-2014, 08:48 AM
With Moreland out, does Dunn net Gallo in a trade right now?

34 yo platoon DHs hitting .234 don't bring prospects in return- we'll be lucky to get a salary dump-

SoxFanCPA
06-09-2014, 10:30 AM
34 yo platoon DHs hitting .234 don't bring prospects in return- we'll be lucky to get a salary dump-
Who cares about batting average?

soxnut1018
06-09-2014, 11:32 AM

They do when they have a .372 OBP and a 132 wRC+.

TDog
06-09-2014, 11:42 AM
Who cares about batting average?

Teams willing to trade prospects they haven't given up on.

Domeshot17
06-09-2014, 12:01 PM
Teams willing to trade prospects they haven't given up on.

But even that is false.

Are we getting an A+, top 100 prospect for Dunn, probably not. Are we getting some B specs, I am sure.

Mohoney
06-09-2014, 01:47 PM
But even that is false.

Are we getting an A+, top 100 prospect for Dunn, probably not. Are we getting some B specs, I am sure.

If the White Sox throw in any cash, the caliber of prospect returning would certainly go up, but after eating Keppinger's deal, I don't know if ownership will allow it.

One raw, high-ceiling guy who doesn't rate all that highly would probably be what I would expect as a return if the other team took on Dunn's entire salary. If the White Sox threw in any money, I would expect either a higher-caliber prospect (not a top-100 guy, I think that's impossible to ask, but someone perhaps a little farther along in his development) or a second high-ceiling guy.

TomBradley72
06-09-2014, 02:07 PM
They do when they have a .372 OBP and a 132 wRC+.

As a White Sox fan- I truly hope you're right- he's also hitting .225 w/RISP- so I don't really see anything meaningul coming in return for a few month's of his services.

He's been on the market as a salary dump now for a few years with no takers- most of his improvement this year is due to reduced exposure to LHPs (with a slight uptick in results vs. RHPs)

doublem23
06-09-2014, 02:32 PM
As a White Sox fan- I truly hope you're right- he's also hitting .225 w/RISP- so I don't really see anything meaningul coming in return for a few month's of his services.

The Sox turned Jake Peavy into a really solid MLB-ready prospect and three low-level guys worth looking at despite the fact that Peavy was owed more money over more years and, though I know he didn't have the same performance baggage as Adam, represented a real significant injury risk and was having a down year in 2013 when he was dealt. Don't want to delve too deep into how to judge pitchers vs. hitters, but for simplicty's sake, Dunn's 2014 OPS+ (his measure of offensive production against the league average) is 133, whereas Peavy's ERA+ with the Sox in 2013 was 99.

Bottom line is if someone out there wants/needs a LH bat, there are going to be few available as attractive as Dunn.

soxfanreggie
06-09-2014, 05:05 PM
The Sox turned Jake Peavy into a really solid MLB-ready prospect and three low-level guys worth looking at despite the fact that Peavy was owed more money over more years and, though I know he didn't have the same performance baggage as Adam, represented a real significant injury risk and was having a down year in 2013 when he was dealt. Don't want to delve too deep into how to judge pitchers vs. hitters, but for simplicty's sake, Dunn's 2014 OPS+ (his measure of offensive production against the league average) is 133, whereas Peavy's ERA+ with the Sox in 2013 was 99.

Bottom line is if someone out there wants/needs a LH bat, there are going to be few available as attractive as Dunn.

You don't want to wish an injury on anyone, so I'll just hope a team has a use for a power LH bat with a higher propensity to walk or HR, albeit a very high K rate.

I think to your point TB that the Sox may have been unwilling to eat enough of this year's deal to trade him or wanted too much in prospects as an offset to eat salary. At some point we have to seek out the best decision to make on a trade or keeping him. If things are close with Det though, I expect him to stay for a while.

TDog
06-09-2014, 09:22 PM
But even that is false.

Trading partners for Dunn wouldn't be looking at statistical arguments. They would be looking at what they can expect from him in the role they would expect for the remainder of the season. He is particularly vulnerable against late left-handed relief.

A team could pick up Dunn because there is a chance that he could help them. He isn't someone who demands a prospect that a team values.

balke
06-09-2014, 11:59 PM
Trading partners for Dunn wouldn't be looking at statistical arguments. They would be looking at what they can expect from him in the role they would expect for the remainder of the season. He is particularly vulnerable against late left-handed relief.

A team could pick up Dunn because there is a chance that he could help them. He isn't someone who demands a prospect that a team values.

I think just in this particular case, a team that has no options at 1B or DH is at a disadvantage in negotiations. The Sox have a DH with Power that can play 1B and are at an advantage.

Right now it is kinda moot though. Sox are in a better position to win than the Rangers. They won't be selling just yet.

If they do, I would like to see RHP or 3B addressed. I believe the Sox can solve OF issues in free agency and possibly with internal prospects.

TDog
06-10-2014, 12:54 AM
I think just in this particular case, a team that has no options at 1B or DH is at a disadvantage in negotiations. The Sox have a DH with Power that can play 1B and are at an advantage.

Right now it is kinda moot though. Sox are in a better position to win than the Rangers. They won't be selling just yet.

If they do, I would like to see RHP or 3B addressed. I believe the Sox can solve OF issues in free agency and possibly with internal prospects.

I would be very surprised to see the White Sox "address" third base. I don't believe the White Sox believe they have a problem at third base, for the present or near future.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see any team wanting what Dunn has to offer for the remainder of this season so badly that they would give up much for him. I certainly don't see any sort of a bidding war for his services.

balke
06-10-2014, 01:10 AM
I would be very surprised to see the White Sox "address" third base. I don't believe the White Sox believe they have a problem at third base, for the present or near future.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see any team wanting what Dunn has to offer for the remainder of this season so badly that they would give up much for him. I certainly don't see any sort of a bidding war for his services.

1 Homerun from 3B is a little weak. I like Davidson's potential, but I don't think it's a lock he's going to be the 3Bman of the future.

Even if he is, I'd definitely listen for a 3Bman who has 20+ HR potential at least for competition's sake. Could possibly find a future DH going that route.

If Connor plans on hitting .350 this year... then I guess I'll eat crow.

TomBradley72
06-10-2014, 07:48 AM

They aren't going to prioritize a 3rd baseman- they have Gillaspie and Davidson pegged for 3rd.

There are no (near term) internal prospects for OFs- the next real prospect is Hawkins at High-A.

I'm pretty sure Dunn has been on the market for at least a year- the reason he's still on the Sox is that no one wants him- but he's prob off the market for a few weeks while they assess if they are really in the hunt for 2014.

TomBradley72
06-10-2014, 07:50 AM

Yep- no way a 20 HR 3rd base prospect is getting moved for a few months of Dunn's services-

kittle42
06-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Yep- no way a 20 HR 3rd base prospect is getting moved for a few months of Dunn's services-

Seriously, thank you. The lack of reality in this thread is somewhat disturbing for this site.

doublem23
06-10-2014, 10:35 AM

Seriously, thank you. The lack of reality in this thread is somewhat disturbing for this site.

Yeah, I don't know where you guys are getting that from this thread, I don't see anyone suggesting the Sox are going to get some kind of bluechip caliber player for Dunn.

TomBradley72
06-10-2014, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I don't know where you guys are getting that from this thread, I don't see anyone suggesting the Sox are going to get some kind of bluechip caliber player for Dunn.

From a post in this thread-

Even if he is, I'd definitely listen for a 3Bman who has 20+ HR potential at least for competition's sake

doublem23
06-10-2014, 11:45 AM

Even if he is, I'd definitely listen for a 3Bman who has 20+ HR potential at least for competition's sake

Oh **** you're right, OK, I skipped over that, all right, that is a crazy trade proposal but overall I'd say this thread is pretty grounded in regards to what the Sox can realistically fetch for Dunn.

soxfanreggie
06-10-2014, 06:04 PM
They aren't going to prioritize a 3rd baseman- they have Gillaspie and Davidson pegged for 3rd.

There are no (near term) internal prospects for OFs- the next real prospect is Hawkins at High-A.

I'm pretty sure Dunn has been on the market for at least a year- the reason he's still on the Sox is that no one wants him- but he's prob off the market for a few weeks while they assess if they are really in the hunt for 2014.

Besides Eaton and Garcia being out there next year, I have a feeling Jordan Danks will get a look at the OF next year. Then they'll decide on what to do with Viciedo - keep or part ways. We should have enough guys in the system here to at least have a back-up OF even if we need to get a 3rd starter.

I have no problem with a Conor/Matt competition at 3B for next year. You could also throw Beckham/Semien/Garcia in there depending on what's available. I don't think they'd switch Gordon from 2B but you never know.

balke
06-11-2014, 12:42 AM

A quote taken from a response that 3B is locked down by Connor Gillaspie (who has 0 homeruns this year and is hitting about .100 points better than his career average) and Davidson who is struggling to hit the ball in the minors.

The Sox have Danks, Sale, Quintana, and just drafted Rodon (All LHP). They have Dunn, Abreu, and Konerko, and a lot of utility players.

I see the Rangers with a serious problem at DH/1B and no dominant LHP in the lineup. Trades often involve more than one player. It'd be nice if the Sox could figure something out while Dunn is hitting homeruns. My upgrade preference is 3B which is one of the most difficult positions to fill.

As stated before though, the Rangers aren't really contending so it is moot.

balke
06-11-2014, 12:51 AM
Besides Eaton and Garcia being out there next year, I have a feeling Jordan Danks will get a look at the OF next year. Then they'll decide on what to do with Viciedo - keep or part ways. We should have enough guys in the system here to at least have a back-up OF even if we need to get a 3rd starter.

I have no problem with a Conor/Matt competition at 3B for next year. You could also throw Beckham/Semien/Garcia in there depending on what's available. I don't think they'd switch Gordon from 2B but you never know.

Eaton/Garcia are likely locking down the OF. I believe the Sox need to go to free agency for a 3rd OFer and DH. There's quite a few options.

The Sox do have Micah Johnson who did very well in AA and has just a handful of games with Charlotte. Moving him to the OF for a reason.

soxfanreggie
06-11-2014, 08:27 AM
A quote taken from a response that 3B is locked down by Connor Gillaspie (who has 0 homeruns this year and is hitting about .100 points better than his career average) and Davidson who is struggling to hit the ball in the minors.

The Sox have Danks, Sale, Quintana, and just drafted Rodon (All LHP). They have Dunn, Abreu, and Konerko, and a lot of utility players.

I see the Rangers with a serious problem at DH/1B and no dominant LHP in the lineup. Trades often involve more than one player. It'd be nice if the Sox could figure something out while Dunn is hitting homeruns. My upgrade preference is 3B which is one of the most difficult positions to fill.

As stated before though, the Rangers aren't really contending so it is moot.

You're not suggesting a trade of PK or Abreu as a first base/DH option, are you? Thus, you are likely thinking Dunn or Viciedo?

With how Danks is throwing lately, he may be a trade option. I could see him liking pitching for Texas. The better he throws, the more attractive a trade option he becomes. Out of Sale, Quintana, and Danks, I think he'd be the one up for trade. Although if we got the right offer for Quintana, I'm sure he'd be dealt. I don't think any team would give us what we'd ask for Sale or Abreu.

Frater Perdurabo
06-11-2014, 08:47 AM
I wonder if it wouldn't be the worst move to re-sign Dunn for next year. Unless the Sox can find a LH hitting outfielder or another 1B/DH type to complement Abreu, they won't have any LH power in the lineup. He's reasonably effective if he only faces RHP.

cws05champ
06-11-2014, 09:44 AM
I wonder if it wouldn't be the worst move to re-sign Dunn for next year. Unless the Sox can find a LH hitting outfielder or another 1B/DH type to complement Abreu, they won't have any LH power in the lineup. He's reasonably effective if he only faces RHP.

I wouldn't mind Victor Martinez for DH next year :smile:

kittle42
06-11-2014, 10:16 AM
Besides Eaton and Garcia being out there next year, I have a feeling Jordan Danks will get a look at the OF next year.

The guy is a marginal 25th man on a ML roster. If he is getting a look, this team is in huge trouble.

Brian26
06-11-2014, 06:59 PM
Danks just moved into 2nd place, all-time, for games played on the Charlotte Knights.

First place, you ask?

:LTP

Brian26
06-11-2014, 07:03 PM
I wonder if it wouldn't be the worst move to re-sign Dunn for next year.

You cannot forgive (or forget) Adam Dunn for his 2011 and 2013 performances under any circumstances. The dude stole money from the organization. Nice guy, glad he's seeing the ball better this year, but don't let "door hit behind" on the way out...

Tragg
06-11-2014, 07:28 PM

Better move would be for him to get hot for a month and move him in July.

Lemon44
06-11-2014, 07:47 PM

I wouldn't be surprised by this at all. He's well-liked in the clubhouse and his options for 2015 have to be very limited. Unless a team like Seattle wants to throw around more wheel barrows full of cash, where is Dunn going to play? A Abreu/Dunn combo at 1B and DH isn't so bad.

Brian26
06-11-2014, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't be surprised by this at all. He's well-liked in the clubhouse and his options for 2015 have to be very limited. Unless a team like Seattle wants to throw around more wheel barrows full of cash, where is Dunn going to play? A Abreu/Dunn combo at 1B and DH isn't so bad.

Dunn is not the future. You've got Viciedo(?)/Davidson/Abreu/Garcia to rotate thru the DH slot. There is no way Dunn is going to be brought back, whether he's liked in the clubhouse or not.

sullythered
06-11-2014, 07:59 PM
I said it in another thread, and got torn apart, but I have a feeling that the Sox re-sign Dunn.

balke
06-11-2014, 08:24 PM
I don't think the Sox have much of a choice. Dunn didn't really want to be here in the first place, and certainly doesn't seem like he's been happy in his time here.

He's already got life plans to make money outside of baseball. I doubt he comes back to Chicago even if the money is right.

Nelson Cruz is a free agent next offseason. Morales, Hanley, VMart, Butler, Melky Cabrera. The Sox can do a variety of things to replace him. There should be plenty of money on the books.

ChiSoxNationPres
06-12-2014, 01:24 AM
I would much rather spend money on either Victor Martinez or Nick Markakis (he has a club option next year for like 19 mil, probably won't be picked up for that much).

As far as getting a righty, the Sox have the money to go get James Shields this offseason, but my gut tells me they will go pull off a deal for starter at some point in the next 12 months.

ddog528
06-12-2014, 01:55 AM
If they go for a starting pitcher, I hope it would be a righty.

Frater Perdurabo
06-12-2014, 06:41 AM
Dunn is not the future. You've got Viciedo(?)/Davidson/Abreu/Garcia to rotate thru the DH slot. There is no way Dunn is going to be brought back, whether he's liked in the clubhouse or not.

I agree that it's better to have a surplus of position players who hit well, and use the DH slot to keep them in the lineup but also keep them fresh. I would rather find a LH hitting OF with some power, but if no such player is available, Dunn wouldn't be the worst backup plan.

Incidentally, besides Harold Baines and Robin Ventura, what other even decent LH hitters have the Sox drafted and developed the last 40 years?

Moses_Scurry
06-12-2014, 06:50 AM

On a one year deal with a significant pay cut, I'd be OK with it if they can't find anything better. Anymore than 1 year / $4-5M is too much. Let him make up for his crap years.

TomBradley72
06-12-2014, 07:09 AM
There is NO WAY a rebuilding White Sox team is going to re-sign Dunn.

He's at least delivering some value this year- but an aging Adam Dunn is not part of the 2015-2016 White Sox-

Domeshot17
06-12-2014, 10:48 AM
There is NO WAY a rebuilding White Sox team is going to re-sign Dunn.

He's at least delivering some value this year- but an aging Adam Dunn is not part of the 2015-2016 White Sox-

We get it, you hate Adam Dunn. But the point is still true, we have no left handed power when he walks, and if we could bring him back at 5 or 6 million on a 1 year deal, or 1 year an option, there is value there.

Golden Sox
06-12-2014, 04:56 PM
I would be surprised to see Dunn back in 2015. They might have Viciedo in left field and Garcia in right field. Gillaspie and Matt Davidson could rotate between 3rd base and DH.

kobo
06-12-2014, 05:27 PM
Allow me to play devil's advocate here. Is a LH power bat a necessity in today's game? If Dunn doesn't return and the Sox can't find a quality LH power bat in the off season but can find a RH one, is that going to be an issue?

RCWHITESOX
06-12-2014, 06:29 PM
Allow me to play devil's advocate here. Is a LH power bat a necessity in today's game? If Dunn doesn't return and the Sox can't find a quality LH power bat in the off season but can find a RH one, is that going to be an issue?

Of course it will. If the Sox are a predominatley right handed team opposing teams will stack right handed pitchers up against them. How ever I believe they can look elsewhwere for left handed power. Hopefully DeAza will also be gone long before then.

TomBradley72
06-12-2014, 06:37 PM
We get it, you hate Adam Dunn. But the point is still true, we have no left handed power when he walks, and if we could bring him back at 5 or 6 million on a 1 year deal, or 1 year an option, there is value there.

No- I don't hate Adam Dunn- he's been decent this year- I just don't see how a 35 y.o. platoon DH fits into a rebuilding team's plans-I don't picture them acquiring ANY 35 yo players for 2015.

I don't think he would sign for $5M- I think he'll retire before he settles for that- the other variable is Matt Davidson (if he's the every day 3B- then Gillaspie becomes a DH option, and you don't need Dunn, if Davidson continues to suck at AAA- that could change).

Dunn has an OPS of .899 over the past 30 days- if some how he actually sustains that for the season- then maybe he would fit-

soxfanreggie
06-12-2014, 08:30 PM
We had this discussion last night at the bar after softball. We all (five guys) agreed that we would give him a 1-yr. $7 million deal. A couple were willing to pay more (one was $8 mil, one up to $10 mil), but everyone was amenable to $7 mil. We figured that other factors involved were: 1.) What happens with Viciedo. If he comes out of the OF and into the mix at 1B/DH, then you probably can't make a deal with Dunn. If you do Viciedo-Eaton-Garcia with Danks or someone as the 4th OF, then there is room for Dunn. It also allows you one more here to decide what to do with Viciedo. You also can split Dunn and Abreu at 1B or keep Dunn as just a DH.

If you want to make the deal as a player option with certain criteria or a team option with a $500k or $1 million buyout, that would work too. Anything beyond that and I wouldn't really be interested.

The other topic was trading Danks while he's hot if we expect Rodon in the rotation next year. With him having a lot of $$$ still left on his deal, could those resources be put to better use?

Tragg
06-14-2014, 12:24 AM
Yea, if it makes sense, maybe we'll sign him back next year, after we trade him this year.

Mohoney
06-15-2014, 02:01 AM
The other topic was trading Danks while he's hot if we expect Rodon in the rotation next year. With him having a lot of $$$ still left on his deal, could those resources be put to better use?

Nobody is taking on John Danks's contract until the 2015-16 offseason at the earliest. Hopefully he can keep this up this year and next year, because $14 million is right around market value for 200 innings nowadays.

soxfanreggie
06-15-2014, 03:23 PM
Nobody is taking on John Danks's contract until the 2015-16 offseason at the earliest. Hopefully he can keep this up this year and next year, because $14 million is right around market value for 200 innings nowadays.

I could easily see a team taking on Danks in a trade. You never know when someone needs a lefty starter. The Sox could also pitch in $$$ if needed to make the move. If he throws like he has been lately, we could really use him and there will be other teams interested as well.

Mohoney
06-16-2014, 07:48 PM
I could easily see a team taking on Danks in a trade. You never know when someone needs a lefty starter. The Sox could also pitch in $$$ if needed to make the move. If he throws like he has been lately, we could really use him and there will be other teams interested as well.

I guess Danks might be movable this year, as long as you're OK with getting a less-than-overwhelming return. If you were a GM of a good team that was in need of a left-handed starter, what would you give up to acquire John Danks at this year's trade deadline, assuming that no money is coming with him?

My intention here is not to blast John Danks or suggest that he's worthless. In my opinion, John Danks has been the second-most pleasant surprise this season, behind only Jose Abreu. He's been really solid, especially at home, and I have enjoyed watching him go 6 or 7 innings deep into games with consistency. However, he has only been doing this for 2.5 months so far after a putrid 2013. If I was trading for him, I would definitely be wary of how big a gamble he is at this point.

If he finishes this season as brilliantly as he has started it, he might be worthwhile to acquire before next season, but at that point, I would rather just keep him around.

soxfanreggie
06-16-2014, 11:00 PM
I guess Danks might be movable this year, as long as you're OK with getting a less-than-overwhelming return. If you were a GM of a good team that was in need of a left-handed starter, what would you give up to acquire John Danks at this year's trade deadline, assuming that no money is coming with him?

My intention here is not to blast John Danks or suggest that he's worthless. In my opinion, John Danks has been the second-most pleasant surprise this season, behind only Jose Abreu. He's been really solid, especially at home, and I have enjoyed watching him go 6 or 7 innings deep into games with consistency. However, he has only been doing this for 2.5 months so far after a putrid 2013. If I was trading for him, I would definitely be wary of how big a gamble he is at this point.

If he finishes this season as brilliantly as he has started it, he might be worthwhile to acquire before next season, but at that point, I would rather just keep him around.

I agree that we wouldn't be getting a good return on Danks if we'd be dumping his contract. The Sox payroll will likely be going down again next year or staying the same (at most) depending on who we sign in free agency.

We do have some players getting raises, but we'll see savings from Dunn (huge $$$), De Aza if replaced with someone like Jordan Danks, Downs who will almost certainly be bought out of his option, and PK because we'll probably have Garcia back in the OF in his roster spot. Even if we sign a few free agents, there is a chance we hit $80-82 million in payroll. If we go really young next year and call up some young talent, it could even go beneath $80 million.

soxfan1965
08-05-2014, 12:37 PM
It's been quiet on the waiver front for Dunn. Is this waiver process going ahead with Dunn? It will be hugely disappointing if the Sox can't move Dunn, as they were able to move Navarro and Belle.

SOX ADDICT '73
08-05-2014, 12:46 PM
...Gillaspie and Matt Davidson could rotate between 3rd base and DH.
I just had a PTSD flashback to the 2010 DH platoon of Mark Kotsay, Andruw Jones, Juan Pierre, and Omar Vizquel.

TDog
08-05-2014, 04:08 PM
It's been quiet on the waiver front for Dunn. Is this waiver process going ahead with Dunn? It will be hugely disappointing if the Sox can't move Dunn, as they were able to move Navarro and Belle.

Navarro was traded in the offseason to the National League team that brought him up and still believed in him. It was a surprisingly nice deal for the White Sox, though.

Albert Belle wasn't traded or dealt in any way. He had a clause in his contract that he could become a free agent if he wasn't among the three highest players in baseball after the second year of his White Sox deal. Gary Sheffield demanded a large amount of compensation for agreeing to be traded from the Marlins to the Dodgers during the 1998 season. The compensation was high enough that it knocked Belle out of the top three salaries. Belle declared free agency, as was his option, after his monster 1998 season.

I read from a couple of sources that before signing with Baltimore, Belle went to the White Sox and said he would sign for less to stay in Chicago, but the White Sox, having tired of his act, had no interest in signing him.

soxfan1965
08-07-2014, 11:09 PM
Dunn is coming up again on the Royals radar, with Hosmer their first baseman injured, and he seems to be the only hitting option they are looking at that don't have financial obligations beyond 2014 (including Rios).
http://www.royalsreview.com/2014/8/7/5967285/august-waiver-trade-possibilities

Danks is mentioned as a possibility too, though Royals would get him for a fraction of the $28.5 million left.

soxfan1965
08-09-2014, 09:24 PM
http://www.southsidesox.com/2014/8/1/5959393/so-what-do-the-white-sox-do-now

Verdict: (Dunn) should be put on waivers today. Like the two above, if a team claims him, he goes to that team for whatever the White Sox can get, even if it's just the waiver fee. In the likely event that he clears waivers, he should be actively shopped. He's a lefty with power, so there will be some market for him but the White Sox will need to send some significant money along. That's fine because the White Sox would be paying him anyway. Both opening his roster spot and saving even a few dollars are positives.

(Sigh) Probably nothing is and will be dunn for rest of 2014, and I'll believe it when I see it.

soxfan1965
08-11-2014, 01:55 PM
Dunn Saga Done:
http://www.beachwoodreporter.com/sports/the_white_sox_report_dunn_saga.php

balke
08-11-2014, 08:24 PM
DeAza saga needs to be DeDone.

It's great what he gave to the Sox - no disrespect. Really though - why is he playing?