PDA

View Full Version : Minor League Question


Chisox_cali
08-10-2002, 07:00 PM
Do the Sox have any real Flame-throwers in the System anywhere? Guys that can pitch in the high 90's, even 100's. Just wondering.

BuehrleACE56
08-10-2002, 10:55 PM
I thought that Jon Adkins we got for Durham had a 90s fastball and that's when KW liked him. Didn't seem like he had much else but the heat tho.

NC_sox_fan
08-10-2002, 11:18 PM
Not sure exactly how hard he throws, but Royce Ring can really bring it. He's exciting to watch. Check out his stats on the Warthog site.

LongDistanceFan
08-10-2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Do the Sox have any real Flame-throwers in the System anywhere? Guys that can pitch in the high 90's, even 100's. Just wondering.

jason strumm before the surgery threw in the high 90's, am not too sure what he throws now.

honel, i think throws in the mid 90's.

denis ulicia(sp), molone, rauch and either or both the converted pitcher.

Chisox_cali
08-10-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by NC_sox_fan
Not sure exactly how hard he throws, but Royce Ring can really bring it. He's exciting to watch. Check out his stats on the Warthog site.

That 1.53 ERA is pretty sweet. I just looked up a pic of him

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/sdsu/sports/m-basebl/auto_headshot/p-Ring02.jpg

Does he still have a mullet? :)

Daver
08-10-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan


jason strumm before the surgery threw in the high 90's, am not too sure what he throws now.

honel, i think throws in the mid 90's.

denis ulicia(sp), molone, rauch and either or both the converted pitcher.

Honel averages in the 90-92 range,he can hit 95,but it is a rarity,and his fastball is not his best pitch anyway,it is his set up pitch.

Chisox_cali
08-10-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by daver


Honel averages in the 90-92 range,he can hit 95,but it is a rarity,and his fastball is not his best pitch anyway,it is his set up pitch.

Isn't the knuckle-curve his out pitch?

Daver
08-10-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali


Isn't the knuckle-curve his out pitch?

His knuckle curve and his changeup are both out pitches,both are wicked.

LongDistanceFan
08-10-2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by daver


Honel averages in the 90-92 range,he can hit 95,but it is a rarity,and his fastball is not his best pitch anyway,it is his set up pitch.

you are right......... i stand corrected. misunderstood the question.

Daver
08-10-2002, 11:35 PM
As far as fireballers,you need Randar to answer that for sure,but I know one of the hardest throwers in the minors is SS/pitcher Jason Daellero.

Chisox_cali
08-10-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by daver


His knuckle curve and his changeup are both out pitches,both are wicked.

Holy Crap I actually remembered a stat about a prospect.

Yeah, I head that that curve is a knee-buckler. :D:

LongDistanceFan
08-10-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by daver
As far as fireballers,you need Randar to answer that for sure,but I know one of the hardest throwers in the minors is SS/pitcher Jason Daellero.

in our org or the entire league?

Daver
08-10-2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan


in our org or the entire league?

In the organization,I should have clarified that.

Jerry_Manuel
08-10-2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Does he still have a mullet?

He had his head shaved when he visited Hawk and DJ after he signed his deal.

Chisox_cali
08-10-2002, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


He had his head shaved when he visited Hawk and DJ after he signed his deal.

DAMN! :smile:

kermittheefrog
08-11-2002, 05:19 AM
It's very hard to find starters with legit mid-90s heat although scouts say Jason Stumm had it before TJ surgery. Relievers Kyle Kane and Joe Valentine throw in the mid 90s. According to Baseball America Kane had the best heat in our system as of the beginning of the season.

Neither Malone or Rauch are real flamethrowers, both sit in the low 90s. Dennis Ulacia is a soft tosser working in the upper 80s.

Two of last year's higher profile draft picks Wyatt Allen and Andrew Fryson are said to have good heat. Allen has hit 97 in the past but the reports I've read say his heat isn't always there. Fryson is said to throw 91-95. I haven't heard much about him this year but his numbers haven't been indicitive of major heat.

RedPinStripes
08-11-2002, 01:09 PM
Allen is the first one that comes to my mind. I did hear on the radio the day he was drafter that he has been clocked at 100 before. This came from the score though.