PDA

View Full Version : 16 year anniversary of Kerry Wood's 20K game

beasly213
05-06-2014, 12:47 PM
Just watching some of these pitches makes you go "OOOOOOH" Looked like he was throwing a whiffel ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pulci_SBVHk

gobears1987
05-06-2014, 01:52 PM
Is Dave Kaplan having his annual wank fest over it?

WhiteSox5187
05-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Is Dave Kaplan having his annual wank fest over it?

He's probably explaining how it was a better game than either Buerhle's no-hitter or perfect game.

Having said that, it really was a great pitching performance and a lot of fun to watch. It's too bad Kerry Wood kept getting hurt, he was fun to watch for awhile.

Irishsox1
05-06-2014, 04:04 PM
You can't throw that nasty of a pitch and not expect have arm problems. But that day, he was awesome.

DrCrawdad
05-14-2014, 07:11 AM
I haven't heard a Cubbie radio broadcast in awhile but when Santo was around rare was the broadcast that Wood's 20K game wasn't mentioned.

1969, Wood's 20K day and other Cubbie "historic" moments that get brought up over and over and over, I love it when Cubbie Clowns put Sox fans down about "still talking about 2005 Sox World Series..."

DumpJerry
05-14-2014, 07:31 AM
I was the Sox/Cub game on the night of the "anniversary" last week. Apparently, they are having a decade theme at The Urinal this year and it was 1920's night that night. Between innings they would have trivia questions on their one LCD board related to 1920's players and games (since the crowd was 80% Sox partisans, there wasn't much attention paid to it). Between one of the innings, they had a "this day in Cub history thing on the board" and I though, "here we go." It seems something interesting happened in a game in 1925 or 1926 on that day. No mention of Wood.

How far the mighty have fallen.

DrCrawdad
05-14-2014, 07:45 AM
I was the Sox/Cub game on the night of the "anniversary" last week. Apparently, they are having a decade theme at The Urinal this year and it was 1920's night that night. Between innings they would have trivia questions on their one LCD board related to 1920's players and games (since the crowd was 80% Sox partisans, there wasn't much attention paid to it). Between one of the innings, they had a "this day in Cub history thing on the board" and I though, "here we go." It seems something interesting happened in a game in 1925 or 1926 on that day. No mention of Wood.

How far the mighty have fallen.

I cannot think of anyone who's fallen as far as Sammy Sosa.

SOXPHILE
05-14-2014, 12:01 PM
I haven't heard a Cubbie radio broadcast in awhile but when Santo was around rare was the broadcast that Wood's 20K game wasn't mentioned.

1969, Wood's 20K day and other Cubbie "historic" moments that get brought up over and over and over, I love it when Cubbie Clowns put Sox fans down about "still talking about 2005 Sox World Series..."

This is true. I can still remember hearing a Cubs game on the radio around 2004-2006, and Wood was pitching and not on the DL that day. Pat Hughes of course was lauding what an incredible pitcher/athlete he was, talked about the 20 K game, and said something to the affect of "..and you know Ron, every time he's out there on the mound, he just has this presence, that you just have to think that your going to see him on the mound in a World Series for us.." At that point, Santo chimed in with a "AND WE WILL TOO ! I JUST KNOW IT !" I still opine that Wood is/was the most over loved, overhyped, and overrated player in Chicago sports history.

DSpivack
05-14-2014, 12:43 PM
This is true. I can still remember hearing a Cubs game on the radio around 2004-2006, and Wood was pitching and not on the DL that day. Pat Hughes of course was lauding what an incredible pitcher/athlete he was, talked about the 20 K game, and said something to the affect of "..and you know Ron, every time he's out there on the mound, he just has this presence, that you just have to think that your going to see him on the mound in a World Series for us.." At that point, Santo chimed in with a "AND WE WILL TOO ! I JUST KNOW IT !" I still opine that Wood is/was the most over loved, overhyped, and overrated player in Chicago sports history.
Maybe, but he has a lot of competition there in Mark Prior. He also was around for longer than Prior and accomplished more in his career than Prior. Also, he doesn't seem like an ass while Prior does.

SOXPHILE
05-14-2014, 01:47 PM
Maybe, but he has a lot of competition there in Mark Prior. He also was around for longer than Prior and accomplished more in his career than Prior. Also, he doesn't seem like an ass while Prior does.

Yeah, Prior was an ass, and also extremely overrated and over loved. But his career was much shorter, and you really don't hear about him anymore. With Wood, it never ends. As far as what Wood accomplished vs. Prior, yes, it was more, but he played from 98-2012 (out for '99 season, and only part of '12 season). Prior was only '02-'06. I think his star burned a lot brighter than Wood's for a couple years, but he faded and went away real fast.

As for their stats, and who accomplished more, Wood pitched for more years, but really didn't accomplish all that much, numbers look rather pedestrian to me:

86 wins, 75 losses, 63 saves. .367 ERA.

Prior in his few years had 42 wins, 29 losses, .351 ERA

ChiSoxNationPres
05-14-2014, 03:30 PM
Those were probably some of the best breaking balls I've seen. Also, that zone was huge that game, some pretty generous calls on the corner.

TommyJohn
05-14-2014, 06:26 PM
i haven't heard a cubbie radio broadcast in awhile but when santo was around rare was the broadcast that wood's 20k game wasn't mentioned.

1969, wood's 20k day and other cubbie "historic" moments that get brought up over and over and over, i love it when cubbie clowns put sox fans down about "still talking about 2005 sox world series..."

Like!