05-04-2014, 04:03 PM
That was pleasant.

Tragg
05-04-2014, 04:03 PM
Nice.
I think Tank's for real.

ElevenUp
05-04-2014, 04:06 PM
These guys don't give up. That's for sure!

October26
05-04-2014, 04:08 PM
Way to go, Tank! :bandance: Sox snatch victory from the jaws of defeat today. A super busy Sunday kept me from joining the gamethread and watching much of the game today. But I got home just in time to hear Hawk's exhilirating call of Tank's 3 run homer. Great win and GO SOX!!

harwar
05-04-2014, 04:09 PM
Cleveland's offense might not be the best to gauge a pitching staff, as their offense is woeful,especially without Kipnis, but the White Sox pitchers seem to be settling down and getting the job done .. Carroll and Rienzo have both done well .. Abreu needs to lay off those sliders .. Tank going the other way is a thing of beauty..

LITTLE NELL
05-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Did not want to go into the Cub series with a fairly big losing streak, hopefully today's come from behind win will give the boys some mojo.

mzh
05-04-2014, 04:20 PM
Top 5 least productive player in the Major Leagues.

Zakath
05-04-2014, 04:21 PM
One of the things this team has shown so far this season is going with the pitches thrown to them, and Tank's HR was no exception. Outside third, and he goes with it opposite field.

15 K's isn't pleasant, but when you steal one like that, it's all roses.

Now on to Wrigley and revenge for last year.

tstrike2000
05-04-2014, 04:22 PM
Axford with his second blown save against us, very nice. Didn't help my fantasy team, but I'm much happier it benefited the Sox.

ddog528
05-04-2014, 04:32 PM
Keep the positive momentum going with these next few games, boys

soxfanreggie
05-04-2014, 04:36 PM
One of the things this team has shown so far this season is going with the pitches thrown to them, and Tank's HR was no exception. Outside third, and he goes with it opposite field.

15 K's isn't pleasant, but when you steal one like that, it's all roses.

Now on to Wrigley and revenge for last year.

Needed that positive momentum in going to the North side, and Tank delivers!

sullythered
05-04-2014, 04:37 PM
Is it possible that Tank has simply figured it put and come into his own? Everybody seemed so down on him, but he is still young, and he is having a fabulous year.

amsteel
05-04-2014, 04:37 PM
Never a doubt...

For as much (somewhat deserved) **** I give this year's team, they are certainly improved.

TDog
05-04-2014, 04:44 PM
Cleveland's offense might not be the best to gauge a pitching staff, as their offense is woeful,especially without Kipnis, but the White Sox pitchers seem to be settling down and getting the job done .. Carroll and Rienzo have both done well .. Abreu needs to lay off those sliders .. Tank going the other way is a thing of beauty..

It wasn't just the Cleveland series. It goes back to the last homestand. Essentially, the pitchers who have come up to replace pitchers who went down seem to have stabilized the pitching staff.

Rienzo hasn't been lights out, but he has been better than Paulino. Carroll is nowhere near the pitcher Sale is, but in two starts, he has an ERA that you would only expect from Sale at his best. Johnson hasn't been replaced, but the relievers brought up since the start of the season are more reliable than the ones introduced on opening day. Certainly the bullpen is throwing more strikes, which was the big issue.

The problem lately has been the offense. Abreu seems to be in a home run-or strike out mode, which isn't what led to his gaudy April numbers. This weekend, the Sox seem to have been getting opportunities but not doing anything with them before the Viciedo home run. Since the Sox lost their lead against Verlander on Tuesday, the only lead they have held before the ninth today was 1-0 lead they lost in the bottom of the third today.

Today the Indians did the White Sox a favor by going to the closer in the ninth. The Sox didn't seem to have a chance against Kluber, and the closer came in to walk two of the first three he faced. The White Sox have beaten a few closers this year (I haven't checked to see if it matches the games the White Sox have lost in closing situations this year), but I don't believe they have done so after being shut down by such a dominate pitcher over eight. One swing after two walks turned a swept lost weekend into a feel-good win, despite having less than half as many hits as the Indians.

Of course, that doesn't happen unless the pitching keeps you in the game, the starter doesn't let it get out of hand and the bullpen holds the score.

Tragg
05-04-2014, 05:09 PM
The change to me is that the bullpen is doing a much better job keeping us in games. They didn't give up a run today and pitched 1/2 the game. We were in striking distance all game, and got the big play.

Looking at the standings, we are 8 games behind Detroit in the loss column. It's amazing the Sox haven't lost a game due to weather this season.

LoveYourSuit
05-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Big swing with this win. From possibly going 4 games under .500 to 2 instead. Don't want to get buried too deep so early.

Team needs to get healthy. The OF situation just completely sucks right now. DeAza and Danks bring nothing.

Beckham continues his 4 year slump. Cannot have him up in the order or even in the lineup if it was up to me.

Anyone prefer to see more Garcia here while Eaton sits?

And heard Robin finally thinking outside the box here, Dunn will play some LF in NL parks. I think Dunn should be playing LF over DeAza and Paulie getting more play at DH in AL parks too. Dunn's glove is bad, but DeAza is almost as terrible on the field. So, it's picking between Paulie's bat or DeAza's? Give me Paulie.

TDog
05-04-2014, 05:53 PM
Big swing with this win. From possibly going 4 games under .500 to 2 instead. Don't want to get buried too deep so early.

Team needs to get healthy. The OF situation just completely sucks right now. DeAza and Danks bring nothing.

Beckham continues his 4 year slump. Cannot have him up in the order or even in the lineup if it was up to me.

Anyone prefer to see more Garcia here while Eaton sits?

And heard Robin finally thinking outside the box here, Dunn will play some LF in NL parks. I think Dunn should be playing LF over DeAza and Paulie getting more play at DH in AL parks too. Dunn's glove is bad, but DeAza is almost as terrible on the field. So, it's picking between Paulie's bat or DeAza's? Give me Paulie.

The Sox only got four hits today, two if you exclude the home runs in the first and the ninth. The guy who started the winning rally with a leadoff walk in the ninth seems a curious player to complain about today.

And I'm not particularly looking forward to a defensive outfield with Dunn in left and Viciedo in right.

JB98
05-04-2014, 06:10 PM
This was an ugly weekend, but it's not as ugly as it could have been. Viciedo with a big hit to save the day. Thank you, Tito Francona, for taking Kluber out of the game. The Sox weren't going to do anything against him.

I often criticize Sox pitching for walking people. If I were a Cleveland fan, and thank goodness I am not, I would be furious with Axford today. How dumb do you have to be to walk weak-hitting Gordon Beckham ahead of Abreu, Dunn and Viciedo? Axford was asking for it, and Tank let him have it.

cards press box
05-04-2014, 06:12 PM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdtu1VyAoa10_HjvklQuGphN-LEiaISCc3pGFePrr_52-BY5mG2A

Attaboy Tank!

:winner

ChiSoxGal85
05-04-2014, 06:23 PM
Way to go, Tank! :bandance: Sox snatch victory from the jaws of defeat today. A super busy Sunday kept me from joining the gamethread and watching much of the game today. But I got home just in time to hear Hawk's exhilirating call of Tank's 3 run homer. Great win and GO SOX!!
Then you saw the best part of the entire game! The rest was pretty much a teeth-gnasher.

TomBradley72
05-04-2014, 06:57 PM
The Sox only got four hits today, two if you exclude the home runs in the first and the ninth. The guy who started the winning rally with a leadoff walk in the ninth seems a curious player to complain about today.

And I'm not particularly looking forward to a defensive outfield with Dunn in left and Viciedo in right.

+1 on all counts

TomBradley72
05-04-2014, 06:59 PM
Is it possible that Tank has simply figured it put and come into his own? Everybody seemed so down on him, but he is still young, and he is having a fabulous year.

Yes- he's only 25 and just beginning to enter the prime of his career-

Railsplitter
05-04-2014, 09:40 PM
:bandance:

Now, let's start a winning streak of five or more games.

mzh
05-04-2014, 09:45 PM
Yes- he's only 25 and just beginning to enter the prime of his career-
Excuse me, I was informed that he was destined for suckitude because he already had like 900 ABs

thomas35forever
05-04-2014, 11:38 PM
Excuse me, I was informed that he was destined for suckitude because he already had like 900 ABs

:welcome:

slavko
05-05-2014, 12:20 AM
I thought I saw a change in his approach in 2013. He started to take more pitches, laid off wide low sliders that suckered him before. This might be fool's gold we're seeing now, I hope not.

Chez
05-05-2014, 10:04 AM

I'm normally not a fan of sacrificing defense for offense, but Dunn's numbers at Wrigley are ridiculous. Given the small gaps in the Wrigley power alleys, I hope Robin considers putting Dunn in LF and De Aza in CF. And I can't believe I just typed that! :smile:

kufram
05-05-2014, 10:13 AM
I like Francona, but I think this is a case of a good manager making several decisions that he's expected to make these days. He has a pitcher over 100 pitches so he has to pull him. God forbid, he may never pitch again if he pitches one more inning even though he totally dominated our line-up for all but one pitch and that was early. He has a closer so he has to use him because it's a save situation. The closer can't find the plate but he can't pull him because he's the closer and it might damage his killer psyche if he does and he'll never get it back. Baseball today.

FielderJones
05-05-2014, 12:43 PM
I like Francona, but I think this is a case of a good manager making several decisions that he's expected to make these days. He has a pitcher over 100 pitches so he has to pull him. God forbid, he may never pitch again if he pitches one more inning even though he totally dominated our line-up for all but one pitch and that was early. He has a closer so he has to use him because it's a save situation. The closer can't find the plate but he can't pull him because he's the closer and it might damage his killer psyche if he does and he'll never get it back. Baseball today.

^
What kufram said

:thumbsup:

SCCWS
05-05-2014, 01:20 PM

Way too early to decide. The positives are his BB/SO ratio is very good and he has hit for average. Maybe the two are connected. But so far his power numbers are down. Let's see where he is in another month.

kufram
05-05-2014, 01:30 PM

Yes, it is totally possible. It is not about the skill. He's always had the skills. It is about the approach. The approach is different so the skill has a chance to work.

TDog
05-05-2014, 01:42 PM

All of this is abstract baseball theory, of course. Most moves by most managers, whether they outrage fans or not, are the moves most managers would have made. You likely never know all the factors made in a pitching change. Even when changes are discussed at length there may be things that aren't said for public consumption. It's apparent that this was a decision based on Kluber's pitch count. Francona seems comfortable with pitching Kluber at about 110 pitches, and he was just a little over that in his complete game in April. If you are making decisions based on pitch counts, you might judge him on a different standard than you would Justin Verlander, who probably would have stayed in the game. Kluber was pitching a great game, probably better than any Verlander game this year, but he's no Verlander.

Kluber isn't a kid, of course. He's about a year younger than Scott Carroll. He's pitched a lot of minor league innings, struck out more than 1 per minor league inning, gave up more hits and a lot of walks. I don't know that it's necessarily an automatic thing to take him out at 110 pitches. I don't know if he wants to stay in or feels confident after 110 pitches.

What you know if that by putting in the closer, whose stuff you haven't seen yet, you are giving the White Sox a better chance to win. The more reliable the closer the more minimal that improvement of chance will be. The closer mentality is rooted in unhittable closers who gave teams the idea that they had to have one in a spiraling devolution of effectiveness that led to Lindstrom in pinstripes or road grays or the throwbacks.

The fact that managers at one time didn't care if a pitcher threw 110 pitches, except in the abstract sense of tiring or losing effectiveness, is irrelevant because pitchers were coming up expecting to win games by going as long as they could. And considering he struck out 13, he was fairly economical with his pitches. But, if you are going to take him out based on a guess as to how far he can go to be effective in the future, he would have pitched a better game if he had struck out seven, thrown 15-20 fewer pitches and gone nine.

The value of a pitcher is what he does to help you win over the long haul. It isn't just ERA and WHIP and strikeouts per inning. That only tells you how effective he was when he was pitching. If it takes a pitcher more pitches to be effective, and you are going to take him out because he has reached his limit of pitches, his effectiveness is limited. On one hand you have fans celebrating pitchers strikeouts, which can take a lot of pitches if you have hitters fouling off potential strike threes, even though they want to see the pitcher limited to a pitch count.

A stat that may be invented, if it hasn't been already, would tell you how effective a pitcher is by incorporating pitches per out.

PalehosePlanet
05-05-2014, 02:03 PM

Yes, it is totally possible. It is not about the skill. He's always had the skills. It is about the approach. The approach is different so the skill has a chance to work.

Yeah, the approach is definitely better. His pitch recognition -- something that I was beginning to doubt he'd ever have -- has been very good and he's swinging at strikes when ahead or even in the count. (Of course every batter chases balls when behind in the count, so that's to be expected.)

Coming into this year, most of us said this season is pretty much make or break for Dayan. Then when the season started, I personally, was very excited to see the development of guys like Abreu, Avi Garcia, Eaton, Semien, L. Garcia, Nieto, Erik Johnson, Webb, etc... that I just sort of forgot about Dayan; overlooking the fact that being only 25 he certainly could still develop as a player. (Same could be said of Gilaspie who has also improved at the plate after finally receiving an extended look last year.)

So, overall, way to early to tell, but at least he's moving in the right direction.

Lip Man 1
05-05-2014, 02:41 PM
6th time this year the Sox have won a game when trailing in the 7th inning or later. Four of those six times happened in the 9th inning.

Props to them, improvement over last season.

Lip

34 Inch Stick
05-05-2014, 03:42 PM
Maybe sitting on the bench in a platoon with De Aza helped to motivate him to be more as a player.

palehosepub
05-05-2014, 04:44 PM
I think having the 4 Cuban players together on one team, three of them starters, has helped with the collective hot starts. Its a contributing factor, not the sole reason, but it appears that are playing relaxed and feeding off of each other.

hawkjt
05-05-2014, 06:24 PM
I think having the 4 Cuban players together on one team, three of them starters, has helped with the collective hot starts. Its a contributing factor, not the sole reason, but it appears that are playing relaxed and feeding off of each other.

It seemed like this weekend, all the Cubans were fishing for that outside pitch, and missing badly. They do almost everything together, evidently:D:

sullythered
05-05-2014, 07:01 PM
Way too early to decide. The positives are his BB/SO ratio is very good and he has hit for average. Maybe the two are connected. But so far his power numbers are down. Let's see where he is in another month.

He's slugging .520. Not a ton of homers, but he's hitting for power.

October26
05-06-2014, 07:53 PM

:thumbsup: I concur.