PDA

View Full Version : Sunday's Winning PTC

voodoochile
05-04-2014, 03:02 PM
Saved WSI from certain meltdown...

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/mlb/players/full/30103.png&w=350&h=254
"Here to help, voodoo."

ChiSoxGal85
05-04-2014, 05:20 PM
Yep, I was very near a meltdown. Read about it in your TBGR (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=4506).

tebman
05-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Yep, I was very near a meltdown. Read about it in your TBGR (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=4506).

:D: I know what you mean about meltdowns! Nice last-minute rewrite -- I've also gotten into the habit of drafting TBGRs before the game is over when my frustration is at its peak.

But hey, a win is a win!

:nod:

TDog
05-04-2014, 09:35 PM
:D: I know what you mean about meltdowns! Nice last-minute rewrite -- I've also gotten into the habit of drafting TBGRs before the game is over when my frustration is at its peak.

But hey, a win is a win!

:nod:

When there was still emphasis on game-coverage journalism in the press box, you cold see reporters working on their stories in the seventh and eighth innings because they had to get the basics in to meet deadlines, the quicker, the better to allow them more time for write-throughs with quotes from the locker room, also meeting deadlines. The initial stories would be written before the last pitch and adjusted if there was a need. Most of the paragraphs, describing how runs were scored or not, would be able to stand and could be rearranged if their importance changed. Even the game Abreu ended with a grand slam would have had the basic story mostly written when the game ended.

If you have access to the AP wire, you can still see the formula for the old school game coverage unfolding.

ChiSoxGal85
05-05-2014, 09:27 AM
When there was still emphasis on game-coverage journalism in the press box, you cold see reporters working on their stories in the seventh and eighth innings because they had to get the basics in to meet deadlines, the quicker, the better to allow them more time for write-throughs with quotes from the locker room, also meeting deadlines. The initial stories would be written before the last pitch and adjusted if there was a need. Most of the paragraphs, describing how runs were scored or not, would be able to stand and could be rearranged if their importance changed. Even the game Abreu ended with a grand slam would have had the basic story mostly written when the game ended.

If you have access to the AP wire, you can still see the formula for the old school game coverage unfolding.

Of course! I think online journalists (at least the good ones) still do that. The time pressure of getting the article out as soon as possible is even greater today, with almost instantaneous publication and the amount of competition out there.

However, for WSI, I don't write basic objective journalism pieces. I write Totally Biased Game Reports from a fangal perspective. I confess that just for fun and to emphasize how quickly the Sox turned the game around, I might have exaggerated just a bit in the intro. :D: I already had a good portion of the in-game stuff done. For instance, Kluber's dominance of Sox hitters was already described; that wasn't going to change. It was just a matter of changing the slant of the story.