PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* 5/3 Tough Loss Postgamer

LITTLE NELL
05-03-2014, 07:55 PM
Some bad fielding, some bad base running, some bad luck=another loss.

Soxman219
05-03-2014, 07:57 PM
Once the DP in the 5th happened, I knew we were not going to score today.:mad:

amsteel
05-03-2014, 08:04 PM
I liked it when the 2013 team stayed in 2013

harwar
05-03-2014, 08:07 PM
Historically the White Sox don't do well against Masterson, so i wasn't expecting too much .. good start by Scott Carroll .. offense seems to be slowing down .. balls are just not finding holes like they have been and the guys are no longer having those good at bats..

LITTLE NELL
05-03-2014, 08:18 PM
Historically the White Sox don't do well against Masterson, so i wasn't expecting too much .. good start by Scott Carroll .. offense seems to be slowing down .. balls are just not finding holes like they have been and the guys are no longer having those good at bats..

Abreu's last at bat was just horrible.

With all the injuries and with the boys not hitting anymore I'm not feeling good with our upcoming series with the Flubs this week. Hopefully we can snap out of it with a win tomorrow.

Semien looks like he needs more time in the minors. When Gillaspie comes back it's goodbye to Marcus.

Lip Man 1
05-03-2014, 08:41 PM
With the rash of injuries it's simply not realistic to think the team can overcome them when the farm system is still being rebuilt.

The biggest issue the injuries are having is they are going to setback the rebuilding process, hard for Hahn to figure out what he has when guys aren't able to play.

Gillespie, Sale and Eaton are about the only guys who figure to return this year...Garcia and Jones are done and Paulino and Keppinger aren't going to help even if they are healthy.

What is most troubling to me at this time is the fact that the errors are becoming a common event, situational hitting is looking like last year and the base running blunders are still around. Robin said they were going to be stressed after last season in spring training. I guess the players weren't paying attention.

Lip

DrCrawdad
05-03-2014, 08:44 PM
Abreu's last at bat was just horrible.

With all the injuries and with the boys not hitting anymore I'm not feeling good with our upcoming series with the Flubs this week. Hopefully we can snap out of it with a win tomorrow.

Semien looks like he needs more time in the minors. When Gillaspie comes back it's goodbye to Marcus.

Good points. I had really hoped the Sox had dropped the horrible traits from last season - poor defense, poor baserunning and poor run production.

DrCrawdad
05-03-2014, 08:46 PM
With the rash of injuries it's simply not realistic to think the team can overcome them when the farm system is still being rebuilt.

The biggest issue the injuries are having is they are going to setback the rebuilding process, hard for Hahn to figure out what he has when guys aren't able to play.

Gillespie, Sale and Eaton are about the only guys who figure to return this year...Garcia and Jones are done and Paulino and Keppinger aren't going to help even if they are healthy.

What is most troubling to me at this time is the fact that the errors are becoming a common event, situational hitting is looking like last year and the base running blunders are still around. Robin said they were going to be stressed after last season in spring training. I guess the players weren't paying attention.

Lip

The Sox looked good for the most part until the Detroit series. As I mentioned in my last post, the ugly ways of 2013 have returned.

Railsplitter
05-03-2014, 09:54 PM
Go on a tear, go on the skids, go on a tear, go on the skids.

Anybody see a pattern developing?

Brian26
05-03-2014, 11:05 PM

Lip

Lip, you need to post more after the Sox win. You're nowhere to be found when the team is rolling, as they were when they took 3-of-4 from the Rays and looked good on the tough road trip prior to that.

The situational hitting looked good for the first month of the season and seems to have disappeared as of, perhaps, Wednesday, which was three games ago. So, it's too early to say the hitters have reverted back to form.

Brian26
05-03-2014, 11:07 PM
The Sox looked good for the most part until the Detroit series. As I mentioned in my last post, the ugly ways of 2013 have returned.

I'm not saying they are going to contend for a division title, but they had a tough April schedule with the Red Sox, Rays, Tigers, and Texas. May has series against Houston, the Cubs and Arizona. It should be interesting to see how they do.

kufram
05-04-2014, 05:13 AM
I'm in the wrong time zone to be able to watch night games. We have injuries to key players. We are going to lose some tough games.

What I take from the box score and the wrap is that Scott Carroll appears to have given us another good start. That is pretty good news in my book. I expected him to get bombed in the afterglow of his last time out. Maybe he knows how to focus. It could mean he can perform at this level and I like people who are playing for their lives or at least their livelihood, especially a pitcher.

DrCrawdad
05-04-2014, 06:13 AM
I'm not saying they are going to contend for a division title, but they had a tough April schedule with the Red Sox, Rays, Tigers, and Texas. May has series against Houston, the Cubs and Arizona. It should be interesting to see how they do.

Good points. Thanks for lifting my mood after these 4 losses.

I just hate to see the Sox lose, especially in games that were winnable (like yesterday).

I'm in the wrong time zone to be able to watch night games. We have injuries to key players. We are going to lose some tough games.

What I take from the box score and the wrap is that Scott Carroll appears to have given us another good start. That is pretty good news in my book. I expected him to get bombed in the afterglow of his last time out. Maybe he knows how to focus. It could mean he can perform at this level and I like people who are playing for their lives or at least their livelihood, especially a pitcher.

Scott Carroll has been an incredibly good story. I'm so happy to have been there for his first MLB win on Sunday. Glad I got to give him a standing ovation. Even better, my 9 year old daughter (who was at the game on Sunday with me) said last night when Scott Carroll was pitching, "Dad, isn't that the pitcher who pitched on Sunday and who got all that applause?"

TomBradley72
05-04-2014, 06:32 AM
Abreu needs a day off- teh two bad throws from Flowers last night we bioth catchable (not easy- but catchable) and his ABs were horrible.

Semian shows potential- but on defense- he has not been impressive- at all.

Can't believe Dunn tried to go to 3rd from 2nd on a ground out to short- Little League stuff-

Would like to see L Garcia get a shot in the outfield while Eaton is on the DL- De Aza at lead off brings too many painful memories of 2013-

Noneck
05-04-2014, 09:41 AM
Danger ahead. This is not a good defense club. Many of the players that have been hitting way over their heads will come back to their norms. Without Sale there is only 1 starter that can be counted on. The best anyone can fathom the relief staff can possible be is average. Currently 3 of the 5 Sox future center pieces are on the DL. The Sox are forced to play a AAA player in cf and another that should be a bench player at best in LF. There are no outfield replacements on the horizon. What was a fun team to watch earlier this year could soon be a rerun of 2013.

ChiSoxGal85
05-04-2014, 10:05 AM
Danger ahead. This is not a good defense club. Many of the players that have been hitting way over their heads will come back to their norms. Without Sale there is only 1 starter that can be counted on. The best anyone can fathom the relief staff can possible be is average. Currently 3 of the 5 Sox future center pieces are on the DL. The Sox are forced to play a AAA player in cf and another that should be a bench player at best in LF. There are no outfield replacements on the horizon. What was a fun team to watch earlier this year could soon be a rerun of 2013.
:whiner: Kind of a shame that now that the bullpen seems to be getting better, the offense is cooling off and the defense is shaky.

Chez
05-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Abreu needs a day off- teh two bad throws from Flowers last night we bioth catchable (not easy- but catchable) and his ABs were horrible.

Semian shows potential- but on defense- he has not been impressive- at all.

Can't believe Dunn tried to go to 3rd from 2nd on a ground out to short- Little League stuff-

Would like to see L Garcia get a shot in the outfield while Eaton is on the DL- De Aza at lead off brings too many painful memories of 2013-

All good points, but L. Garcia has looked overmatched this season by any fastball over 90 mph.

TDog
05-04-2014, 11:19 AM
Lip, you need to post more after the Sox win. You're nowhere to be found when the team is rolling, as they were when they took 3-of-4 from the Rays and looked good on the tough road trip prior to that.

The situational hitting looked good for the first month of the season and seems to have disappeared as of, perhaps, Wednesday, which was three games ago. So, it's too early to say the hitters have reverted back to form.

The Sox really haven't looked bad until Cleveland, and Cleveland when you consider the issue against the Tigers was getting beaten by Verlander and Scherzer and the bad inning by Noesi. The Sox have played bad defense in Cleveland, or more accurately, have made a few bad defensive plays. But, really, the Indians have played worse defense When two teams have bad defense in common, sometimes playing conditions are a factor.

More frustrating than the pitching of Danks Friday and the ill-timed defensive mistakes is failing to score with the bases loaded and less than two out and first and third with less than two out. Abreu has failed a couple of times in easy RBI opportunities, and I wonder if baseball nearly every day and extensive travel is something he needs to adjust to as much as major league pitching. Friday night in the top of the first, the Indians pitcher was closing in on 20 pitches with runners on first and third and hadn't retired a batter in the game and seemed to get out of it easily against Abreu and Dunn. If the White Sox put up a couple of runs after Eaton and Beckham set the table for the big hitters, that's an entirely different game even with a bad start from Danks.

Certainly, there were a lot of bad days among White Sox players Saturday, and none was worse than Semien's. He did hit in tough luck with the bases loaded and one out (just as Ramirez hit into tough luck when he should have tied the first Sox loss of the season in the ninth with a line drive with Viciedo the tying run on third). The dropped popup probably cost the Sox the game, although Carroll would give up another unearned run before leaving. (Not only have three of Carroll's first four runs allowed been unearned, but two have scored on dropped two-out popups, and the only earned run was left on first with one out and allowed to score by the bullpen.)

As much love as I see for Semien here, and some of it, I know, is that he isn't Beckham, he has been struggling offensively despite getting a few huge hits. This morning he leads baseball in strikeouts. His on-base percentage is lower than Dunn's batting average (although Dunn is hitting much better this year) and Semien this morning is leading the majors in strikeouts. I don't think anyone in baseball is less successful with runners on third and less than two out. I thought moving him to the bottom of the order would take some of pressure off, but his defense, which was strong in April, particularly at third, hasn't been looking good this weekend.

I have been impressed with Scott Carroll, though. He struggled some Saturday, relative to his first start. The Indians hitters were more patient with him. He couldn't go as deep into the game as a good starter should. But he pitched out of some jams, or at least seemed to, and had the professional poise you look for in a good starter. When you consider the Sox were scoreless in the first five innings of each of his starts, you might be more impressed with what he has done. I get the impression that he knows how to pitch and feels he belongs in the majors.

TomBradley72
05-04-2014, 12:47 PM
All good points, but L. Garcia has looked overmatched this season by any fastball over 90 mph.

Yep- but he's hitting .385 vs. LHs, De Aza is hitting .074 and Jordan Danks is hitting .091- so I think it's worth a shot- especially since Garcia could be part of the future as a super utility guy- De Aza definitely will not be and the hourglass is quickly running out on Danks-

BigKlu59
05-04-2014, 12:48 PM
Maddening 9 innings. Allot of wasted oppourtunities to break open the game. Watching Abreau swing at 3 in the dirt in the 8th pretty much sealed the kind of game it was.. 3 below .500. Its gonna be a year of a hope and frustration cocktail..:gulp:

BK59