PDA

View Full Version : Clayton and Foulke


Soxheads
08-10-2002, 02:41 AM
What's this I hear bout Foulke and Clayton on the waiver wire?

Jerry_Manuel
08-10-2002, 02:52 AM
They cleared waivers.

Nobody claimed them so they can now be traded.

kermittheefrog
08-10-2002, 02:53 AM
If we trade Foulke and get nothing back it might be a long time before you see me on these boards again.

Soxheads
08-10-2002, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
They cleared waivers.

Nobody claimed them so they can now be traded.

:hitless

I didn't want anyone to claim me! I want to stay forever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever..........

Jerry_Manuel
08-10-2002, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
If we trade Foulke and get nothing back it might be a long time before you see me on these boards again.

I think he's gone either during the off-season or next season. If he returns to closing next year and does well, he'll want a bigger pay day then his 6 million. Which he won't get of course. However, the plus side is they can deal him at the deadline if he is doing well.

RedPinStripes
08-10-2002, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
If we trade Foulke and get nothing back it might be a long time before you see me on these boards again.

:KW
Dont worry kermit. I have it all under control.

LongDistanceFan
08-10-2002, 05:16 AM
for the second yr in a row, clayton is on the waivers.

and what did he say the other day about using this time to influence other teams or the sox.

Tragg
08-10-2002, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


I think he's gone either during the off-season or next season. If he returns to closing next year and does well, he'll want a bigger pay day then his 6 million. Which he won't get of course. However, the plus side is they can deal him at the deadline if he is doing well.

It seems to me that manuel is going out of his way to ensure that Foulke DOESN'T get the opportunity to close games. Don't know if it is to minimize salary demands, because he figures he won't be here next year (of course, by that logic clayton should never hit the field), or some general kenny williams edict.

voodoochile
08-10-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Tragg


It seems to me that manuel is going out of his way to ensure that Foulke DOESN'T get the opportunity to close games. Don't know if it is to minimize salary demands, because he figures he won't be here next year (of course, by that logic clayton should never hit the field), or some general kenny williams edict.

The Sox are always looking to get younger and cheaper. They have been grooming Marte to become the closer of the future and he looks almost ready. Foulke and his $6 million slary are all but gone and soon, IMO. The fact that he didn't come close to earning his money this year will make it that much harder to get good value for him, but easier to part with him from the Sox perspective...

RedPinStripes
08-10-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile


The Sox are always looking to get younger and cheaper. They have been grooming Marte to become the closer of the future and he looks almost ready. Foulke and his $6 million slary are all but gone and soon, IMO. The fact that he didn't come close to earning his money this year will make it that much harder to get good value for him, but easier to part with him from the Sox perspective...


Wonder if they'll be pushing Marte out the door as soon as Royce Ring is ready? It would be just like the Sox. Develop Marte, as soon as he makes some money, go with the kid. And we all wonder why JR can't get this team past the 1st round in only 3 tries in 20 years.

duke of dorwood
08-10-2002, 12:48 PM
Royce Ring could be here sooner than we think. He was drafted for a SPECIFIC job. I dont think Marte is durable enough to be a consistant closer every day. Osuna will be gone after this year too, and he will slide right in

Daver
08-10-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Royce Ring could be here sooner than we think. He was drafted for a SPECIFIC job. I dont think Marte is durable enough to be a consistant closer every day. Osuna will be gone after this year too, and he will slide right in

Edwin Almonte would be here before Ring.

RedPinStripes
08-10-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by daver


Edwin Almonte would be here before Ring.

That would make sense, but the Sox are all about who got a bigger bonous and who's KW's favorite. never know with KW making roster moves.

Daver
08-10-2002, 01:31 PM
Kelly Wunsch BTW,did NOT clear waivers,he was claimed and the Sox recalled him.

doublem23
08-10-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by daver
Kelly Wunsch BTW,did NOT clear waivers,he was claimed and the Sox recalled him.

Phew.

yyz
08-10-2002, 01:56 PM
I, for one, have had enough of Foulke's big game blow-ups. He can close it out in a meaningless game against the Royals or the Tigers, but when it comes time to finish off Minnesota or Seattle, he's the chokingest choker that ever choked. If someone would give us a bullpen catcher and a stick of gum for him and his $6mm salary, I'd take it in a minute. He's a trick-pitch pitcher whose trick pitch has quit working.

rmusacch
08-10-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by daver
Kelly Wunsch BTW,did NOT clear waivers,he was claimed and the Sox recalled him.

How did you find out about that and the other two players? Was it in the papers in Chicago?

Daver
08-10-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch


How did you find out about that and the other two players? Was it in the papers in Chicago?

It was mentioned on ESPN.com.

dasox24
08-10-2002, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by daver

Edwin Almonte would be here before Ring.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that Almonte could be a good set-up man when Ring gets here.

P.S.- I'm not really sure how to post a quote so I'm just going to do it like this. If someone could tell me how it would be helpful. thanks

Daver
08-10-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by dasox24
Quote:
Originally posted by daver

Edwin Almonte would be here before Ring.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that Almonte could be a good set-up man when Ring gets here.

P.S.- I'm not really sure how to post a quote so I'm just going to do it like this. If someone could tell me how it would be helpful. thanks

Hit the quote button instead of the reply button and it will format it for you.

LongDistanceFan
08-10-2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by daver


Edwin Almonte would be here before Ring.

you think so, i just have a feeling that the oppisite is true.

dasox24
08-10-2002, 10:47 PM
Thanks Daver! :smile:

ScottyTheSoxFan
08-11-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by yyz
If someone would give us a bullpen catcher and a stick of gum for him and his $6mm salary, I'd take it in a minute.

whats wrong with Man soo Lee? actually, i would probably to the deal as well.