PDA

View Full Version : Don't Stop Believing

#1swisher
05-02-2014, 11:45 AM
Dan Hayes
Rick Hahn said the club wouldn’t easily dismiss a chance to contend in 2014.

“No one appreciates as much as Jerry (Reindsorf), Kenny (Williams) and myself how sacred are chances to win,” Hahn said. “You can’t turn your nose up at them. You can’t think ‘We’re in good shape this year, but we’re not going to go for it because we’ll always have next year.’ Nothing is guaranteed in terms of your future playoff appearances.

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/jose-abreus-success-could-force-white-sox-alter-plan

hawkjt
05-02-2014, 01:55 PM
I like it.

Boondock Saint
05-02-2014, 02:01 PM
Stick to the plan, please.

PalehosePlanet
05-02-2014, 02:05 PM

Absolutely 100% correct.

kufram
05-02-2014, 02:12 PM
If you see a chance to win now, then win now. Plans are changeable.

RCWHITESOX
05-02-2014, 02:23 PM
Forget the plan. Sure we need a future, but just contend when ever possible. Oakland has shown over the years that you can win with young players with a veteran or two added to the mix; and they play in a much tougher division than the Sox do. I for one am very happy with what Hahn has done so far and hope to see more results in the near future. I hope they can move Beckham and De Aza to let the young nucleus their building get better. Go Sox.

kittle42
05-02-2014, 02:27 PM
Forget the plan. Sure we need a future, but just contend when ever possible. Oakland has shown over the years that you can win with young players with a veteran or two added to the mix; and they play in a much tougher division than the Sox do. I for one am very happy with what Hahn has done so far and hope to see more results in the near future. I hope they can move Beckham and De Aza to let the young nucleus their building get better. Go Sox.

"Contend." I have seen this club try to "contend." It's plan now is to try to win. If you can contend while trying to win, great, but stick to the rebuild. I know the Sox have to say these things because casual fans don't like to hear, "Well, a year or two from now..." Look what it has done to the Cubs' attendance.

TaylorStSox
05-02-2014, 02:52 PM
I'd be all for it if we weren't about 4-5 good pitchers away from making it a reality.

Chez
05-02-2014, 02:56 PM

Agree.

SBSoxFan
05-02-2014, 02:57 PM
"Contend." I have seen this club try to "contend." It's plan now is to try to win. If you can contend while trying to win, great, but stick to the rebuild. I know the Sox have to say these things because casual fans don't like to hear, "Well, a year or two from now..." Look what it has done to the Cubs' attendance.

I think there's a difference between "contending" and having "a chance to win." Hahn seems to be speaking of the latter. It's the difference between trying to win 85 games and maybe sneaking in as a wild card versus shutting down Strasburg. Next year hasn't come yet for the Nationals.

It will be a difficult decision, one I hope Hahn has to make.

amsteel
05-02-2014, 03:15 PM
All 30 GMs would say the exact same thing. Nothing to see here.

One under 0.500 month, a rookies hot start, and 8 starting pitchers in 30 games and we're talking about contending. Cute.

Milw
05-02-2014, 03:51 PM
The Nationals stuck to the plan and look where it got them. Think that franchise doesn't wish it could get 2012 back?

I realize that situation is very different from ours, but the bottom line is the same: the future is promised to nobody. If you can compete now, you do it.

Boondock Saint
05-02-2014, 04:18 PM
The Nationals stuck to the plan and look where it got them. Think that franchise doesn't wish it could get 2012 back?

I realize that situation is very different from ours, but the bottom line is the same: the future is promised to nobody. If you can compete now, you do it.

I'd say that it's best to not use the team with two playoff appearances in 45 years of existence as an example of what to do.

SoxSpeed22
05-02-2014, 04:34 PM
Aiming high is good, just don't be reckless with it. We have a foundation in place, they have to grow, but I like where it's going.

ddog528
05-02-2014, 04:35 PM
Let's see where they are in July

Golden Sox
05-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Although I was not a fan of Bill Veeck, he did say something in one of his books which is starting to stick with me. He said "The future is now. 5 year plans usually lead to new 5 year plans." The older I'm getting the more I'm buying into that statement.

kittle42
05-02-2014, 05:49 PM

One under 0.500 month, a rookies hot start, and 8 starting pitchers in 30 games and we're talking about contending. Cute.

Seriously. I missed the part where the Sox and Brewers switched records.

Noneck
05-02-2014, 06:12 PM
Marketing plan, The Sox look at advance sales and see that not much is being sold so they try to tell the world that they are competing now. Even though they are under .500. God bless them if it works.

whitem0nkey
05-02-2014, 06:34 PM
this is a good problem to have.

just saw this stat
bullpen:
First 18 games 6.12 ERA
Last 11 games: 1.79 ERA

TomBradley72
05-03-2014, 11:07 AM
We need arms at every level of the organization (along with needing a prospect at catcher)- hopefully some of these 'spare parts" that aren't part of the long term plan can bring something in return (long shot)- Beckham, De Aza, Dunn, Keppinger on the major league roster, we also have some surplus at middle infield (I assume Micah Johnson is probably the long term play at 2nd)- which could make C. Sanchez (AAA) or Semian available for trade bait.

With Viciedo headed for DH in 2015- we could use another major league ready OF as well-

Hitmen77
05-03-2014, 11:31 AM

Yep. Of course he's going to say that. No news here, IMO.

voodoochile
05-03-2014, 12:00 PM
What are people expecting him to say in early May?

How many tickets will he cost the team if he says, "No chance we are acquiring any talent this year, we are looking at two years from now as being the beginning of our next window?"

cards press box
05-03-2014, 12:10 PM
this is a good problem to have.

just saw this stat
bullpen:
First 18 games 6.12 ERA
Last 11 games: 1.79 ERA

Sox bullpen has been much better lately.

If the Sox get Sale back soon, then the starting pitching will improve as well. Scott Carroll pitching well and Erik Johnson getting it together in Charlotte would certainly help as well. Johnson pitched very well for Charlotte last night: six innings, three hits, 0 runs and 6 K's. And Frank Francisco had another good outing for Charlotte: 4 K's over two scoreless innings. I have a feeling that the Sox will call up Francisco pretty soon.

JB98
05-03-2014, 12:29 PM

Yeah, this talk of contending this year is crazy. A guy they picked off waivers 10 days ago (Noesi) is in the starting rotation. So is a guy who wasn't even in big-league camp (Carroll) in the spring. They are way, way short in the pitching department.

I'm sure they feel they have to say they believe they've got a shot, but do they really? The Sox fans I know are aware of the situation. I still attend games even though I know it's not going anywhere this year. It's OK. As long as the guys keep playing hard, I have no problem going out to the park and cheering for them.

asindc
05-03-2014, 12:30 PM
What are people expecting him to say in early May?

How many tickets will he cost the team if he says, "No chance we are acquiring any talent this year, we are looking at two years from now as being the beginning of our next window?"

This should be obvious to all.

Over By There
05-03-2014, 12:41 PM

Yep. Not saying we shouldn't all be excited about the squad, but isn't this what most of us were expecting? A lot more fun to watch but probably not a contending club.

Milw
05-03-2014, 02:45 PM
I'd say that it's best to not use the team with two playoff appearances in 45 years of existence as an example of what to do.
Agreed. I used them as an example of what not to do. So. Yeah.

A. Cavatica
05-03-2014, 07:54 PM

Hey Kittle, I don't think you meant to include the apostrophe in "Its".

voodoochile
05-03-2014, 08:10 PM

:thud:

Boondock Saint
05-03-2014, 08:11 PM

http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/a/image/1362/91/1362919482410.gif