PDA

View Full Version : *Official* The Hits Just Keep on Comin' 4/28 Postgamer

vinny
04-28-2014, 11:31 PM
Winning records are awesome. So is using only 3 pitchers when the back end of your rotation starts.

all*star quentin
04-28-2014, 11:33 PM
Took 3 of 4 from the Rays, impressive. :)

tstrike2000
04-28-2014, 11:35 PM
Things were looking ugly for Rienzo at the beginning. After getting down 2-0, he settled down and pitched nicely, spotting the fastball and throwing some good off-speed stuff. Putnam, wow, what a job out of the pen. The offense continues to not disappoint.

Mohoney
04-28-2014, 11:42 PM
As long as Erik Johnson eventually works out his control problems, maybe Andre Rienzo can solidify the rotation going forward this year and next year.

Sale, Quintana, Johnson, Rienzo, and whatever you get out of John Danks could work out. The big task next offseason will be the bullpen overhaul, and probably a catcher, unless Tyler Flowers somehow sustains this level of play.

PushinWeight
04-28-2014, 11:43 PM
This series win is not done w/o Rienzo and Carrol. If those two can continue to pitch at a major league level, this may end up being a special season

ChicagoG19
04-28-2014, 11:43 PM
While I was very happy with the hits, it's the pitching that seems to slowly be coming around. Hopefully, the bullpen starts feeding off one another.

doublem23
04-28-2014, 11:47 PM
Things were looking ugly for Rienzo at the beginning. After getting down 2-0, he settled down and pitched nicely, spotting the fastball and throwing some good off-speed stuff. Putnam, wow, what a job out of the pen. The offense continues to not disappoint.

It's got to be good for the starters to know that if they're not 100% sharp at 1st pitch, if they can settle down, the offense can fight back. No need to panic, just settle in, find your stuff, and go. Going down 2-0 last year in the 1st inning was an automatic L.

Nice outing from Putnam and even Lindstrom. Good series win, even if I sat through the only loss. :whiner:

Brian26
04-28-2014, 11:50 PM
Now the question is, do they get the game in tomorrow with Detroit?

Brian26
04-28-2014, 11:51 PM
Abreu is close to breaking the "total bases" record now. I have to check...I think he's one away.

Boondock Saint
04-28-2014, 11:52 PM
Let's hope Beckham never sees a spot in the lineup better than the 7 spot ever again. Eaton, 2 hits and a walk. Abreu, 2 hits and a walk. Dunn, 2 hits. Beckham, one walk.

There are just so many better options on this team for the 2 spot.

doublem23
04-28-2014, 11:53 PM
Let's hope Beckham never sees a spot in the lineup better than the 7 spot ever again. Eaton, 2 hits and a walk. Abreu, 2 hits and a walk. Dunn, 2 hits. Beckham, one walk.

I don't know, I thought Beckham actually looked pretty good at the plate tonight (what I saw, I was kind of in and out). Looked like he hit balls hard just right at people.

Bottom line is either Beckham or Semien batting 2nd, you're not going to get as much offense from that spot as you'd like.

doublem23
04-28-2014, 11:56 PM
Abreu is close to breaking the "total bases" record now. I have to check...I think he's one away.

He's 4 RBI away from tying Juan Gonzalez's all-time April RBI record. 36 in 1998.

SoxandtheCityTee
04-29-2014, 12:00 AM
If this keeps up I may have to upgrade my rating to a Hold!:bandance:

Boondock Saint
04-29-2014, 12:01 AM
I don't know, I thought Beckham actually looked pretty good at the plate tonight (what I saw, I was kind of in and out). Looked like he hit balls hard just right at people.

Bottom line is either Beckham or Semien batting 2nd, you're not going to get as much offense from that spot as you'd like.

Good contact or not, I'm not buying the idea that Beckham's figuring it out. Also, it doesn't have to be one or the other. Alexei or Flowers could fit in there, too. But if I have to choose one or the other, I'm taking Semien. He's still quite young, and I trust him to lay down a bunt more than I do Beckham.

slavko
04-29-2014, 12:09 AM
No drama wins are good too. They're looking like a good baseball team. Keep sorting through pitchers until you find some who can throw strikes, sounds like a plan to me. Carroll and Rienzo don't throw hard, but they both have some nasty pitches and can throw them in the zone.

We're all starved for something positive and we're seeing it. 2013 is disappearing in the rear view mirror.

shes
04-29-2014, 12:38 AM

Many believe a team's best hitter should bat second. Robin puts our worst hitter there.

:scratch::scratch::scratch:

TDog
04-29-2014, 12:46 AM

Semien really hasn't been doing a very good job hitting second. His on-base percentage is below .300, and he hasn't been making contact, flirting with the league lead in strikeouts. Complaining about Beckham hitting second on a night when the Sox won 7-3 feels excessive.

I'm guessing that Ventura was hoping to accomplish a couple of things in flipping Semien and Beckham in the order. It takes pressure off of Semien who I think has only hit second or led off throughout the season. Hitting second, Beckham is probably going to see more fastballs hitting behind Eaton and in front of Abreu.

As it turned out, Semien had a key RBI opportunity hitting ninth and came through. I don't see any reason to complain about tonight's batting order.

For the second start in a row with pitchers who began the season in the minors, the Sox pitching looked good tonight. The bullpen even looked good. Run support probably had more to do with the strong pitching today, but this year's Sox team has a pretty good chance of winning when holding the opposition to three runs.

And, as much as I've enjoyed watching Abreu break into the big leagues, I like that the Sox can win when he isn't driving in multiple runs or hitting the ball out of the park.

Tragg
04-29-2014, 12:51 AM

I could understand moving Semien down, but why in the world Beckham in the 2 hole, where you really should put your best hitter.

Did Robin really bunt Alexei in the 2nd, or was that Alexei trying for a hit?

JB98
04-29-2014, 01:02 AM
I could understand moving Semien down, but why in the world Beckham in the 2 hole, where you really should put your best hitter.

Probably trying to get him more pitches to hit with Abreu behind him in the lineup.

Alexei was bunting for a base hit.

ddog528
04-29-2014, 01:03 AM
In past years this would be one of those tip your hat to pitcher nights:tiphat:

TDog
04-29-2014, 01:25 AM

Ramirez has been among the league's best hitters this year. There was one out. The Sox were down two runs. Obviously Ramirez was on his own bunting for a hit. I can't believe it was scored a sacrifice and Ramirez wasn't charged an at bat.

As for a team's best hitter hitting second, I have new respect for Joey Cora. He not only hit second ahead of Frank Thomas, he hit second in front of Ken Griffey Jr. for the Mariners, although he mostly led off in Seattle.

Boondock Saint
04-29-2014, 01:45 AM
Semien really hasn't been doing a very good job hitting second. His on-base percentage is below .300, and he hasn't been making contact, flirting with the league lead in strikeouts. Complaining about Beckham hitting second on a night when the Sox won 7-3 feels excessive.

The difference between Beckham batting 2nd in the lineup and Semien batting 2nd in the lineup is about four years in both age and opportunities. In a rebuilding season, it's expected that the kids get the opportunities over the veterans. Also, I'm not trying to bring the party down, I'm just having a discussion about something relevant to the team. Just because the team won doesn't mean we can't talk about the negatives as freely as we do the positives. I'm sure if Dunn had gone 0-5 with 5 strikeouts, he'd be getting some shade thrown his way, too.

TDog
04-29-2014, 02:00 AM
The difference between Beckham batting 2nd in the lineup and Semien batting 2nd in the lineup is about four years in both age and opportunities. In a rebuilding season, it's expected that the kids get the opportunities over the veterans. Also, I'm not trying to bring the party down, I'm just having a discussion about something relevant to the team. Just because the team won doesn't mean we can't talk about the negatives as freely as we do the positives. I'm sure if Dunn had gone 0-5 with 5 strikeouts, he'd be getting some shade thrown his way, too.

The difference is the hatred of Beckham.

Boondock Saint
04-29-2014, 02:02 AM

I don't hate Beckham. Far from it. I don't think he's a good baseball player, though.

TDog
04-29-2014, 02:42 AM
I don't hate Beckham. Far from it. I don't think he's a good baseball player, though.

Semien hasn't been good at all in the second position this year. He has a few late inning hits where he happened to be in the right place at the right time, but they haven't come in his role as the No. 2 hitter with Eaton on first in front of Abreu (who is likely your best hitter on the team and one no one would suggest should bat second). Tonight Semien was in the right place a the right time hitting ninth. With Ramirez and Flowers hitting so well near the bottom half of the order, there are going to be RBI opportunities in the ninth position without the burden of playing the role of a No. 2 hitter.

I've always believed Ramirez would be a good No. 2 hitter, but he is doing so well hitting sixth or seventh this season, that I would hate to impose the burden of hitting second with Eaton often on base in front of him.

Semien could have more opportunity to develop not hitting in the pressure of the No. 2 spot in the lineup. Some AL teams put a second leadoff man of sorts in the ninth position. The big problem with Semien in the No. 2 spot is contact because he has been striking out in that role far too often, which limits what you can do with Eaton on first. I can see the thinking as to why Beckham would be better hitting second than Semien because the No. 2 hitter behind Eaton is going to see more fast balls.

Maybe Semien will go back to the second position depending on matchups or after a day or two of playing without the pressure of being the No. 2 hitter. But it's not that big of a deal on a winning night when Semien drove in the eventual winning run from the ninth position.

guillensdisciple
04-29-2014, 06:48 AM
Semien is better than beckham, so if you are going to have one hit in front of the other it would be Semien in front of Beckham. Pretty simple. I don't care how much solid contact he made today. I've heard it and seen it with him, and he is not that good at baseball.

doublem23
04-29-2014, 07:36 AM

:rolleyes:

People are allowed to remember that Beckham has been a bum for years without "hating" him. Semien's been rough this year, no doubt, but in terms of pretty basic player value calculations, he's on pace to have a much better year than Beckham has bad in years. The truth is yes, neither Beckham or Semien really should be hitting 2nd but the Sox don't have a lot of options. Alexei is probably the best logical choice on paper but I'm sure Ventura and the coaching staff have a reason for keeping him lower in the order. I guess De Aza has the skillset to hit 2nd but he's been pretty rough this year, as well.

I don't have an answer; but even with Semien's underwhelming play it doesn't seem to have any negative affect on Abreu's production, he's 4 RBI away from the all-time March/April record.

asindc
04-29-2014, 07:44 AM

How many teams actually bat their best hitter 2nd?

TomBradley72
04-29-2014, 08:45 AM
Not sure I agree with "best hitter" bats 2nd theory- if that's true- then the debate would be about Abreu batting 2nd.

For our line up- the #2 is trying to draw walks, move the runner by bunt, hit and run, hit to the right side, etc. I'd rather have Beckham play that role and let Semian swing away and drive in runs.

cards press box
04-29-2014, 10:14 AM

Looking forward, Sox have some options for the #2 hitter: Semien, Gillaspie or maybe even De Aza although I would prefer De Aza batting 6th or 7th. Eventually -- probably by next year -- the Sox could have Micah Johnson and Adam Eaton at the top of the order. That could be tremendous.

But for last night's game,

:winner

ChiSoxGal85
04-29-2014, 10:24 AM
Gosh, I really like this team. I love that the hits can come from anywhere in the lineup. Right now, there's no consistent black holes. Anything can happen, and it's a long season...but get the pitching on track, and this might be a special season.

TDog
04-29-2014, 11:09 AM
:rolleyes:

People are allowed to remember that Beckham has been a bum for years without "hating" him. Semien's been rough this year, no doubt, but in terms of pretty basic player value calculations, he's on pace to have a much better year than Beckham has bad in years. The truth is yes, neither Beckham or Semien really should be hitting 2nd but the Sox don't have a lot of options. Alexei is probably the best logical choice on paper but I'm sure Ventura and the coaching staff have a reason for keeping him lower in the order. I guess De Aza has the skillset to hit 2nd but he's been pretty rough this year, as well.

I don't have an answer; but even with Semien's underwhelming play it doesn't seem to have any negative affect on Abreu's production, he's 4 RBI away from the all-time March/April record.

And Monday night, the White Sox took the lead after coming from behind twice because Semien was hitting nint5h. This was a winning lineup, and the complaints about Beckham hitting second seem more spiteful than insightful.

A No. 2 hitter has responsibilities in the lineup that hitters deeper in the order don't. Ramirez has had some success as a No. 2 hitter, but he has thrived this season hitting sixth and seventh where he doesn't have to deal with the prospect of Eaton on first in front of him. De Aza hasn't seemed to have much success against fastballs this season against fastballs and doesn't make enough contact to work in the No. 2 spot.

The No. 2 spot in the Sox lineup has been the weakest in the lineup this year. I have no problem with Ventura shaking it up a little bit.

TaylorStSox
04-29-2014, 11:50 AM
And Monday night, the White Sox took the lead after coming from behind twice because Semien was hitting nint5h. This was a winning lineup, and the complaints about Beckham hitting second seem more spiteful than insightful.

A No. 2 hitter has responsibilities in the lineup that hitters deeper in the order don't. Ramirez has had some success as a No. 2 hitter, but he has thrived this season hitting sixth and seventh where he doesn't have to deal with the prospect of Eaton on first in front of him. De Aza hasn't seemed to have much success against fastballs this season against fastballs and doesn't make enough contact to work in the No. 2 spot.

The No. 2 spot in the Sox lineup has been the weakest in the lineup this year. I have no problem with Ventura shaking it up a little bit.

Spiteful? Beckham has no business hitting in the 2 hole because he can't handle the bat. He does nothing a 2 hitter should do. For all Semien's struggles, he still sees the most pitchers per PA than anyone on the team. That's arguably more important than anything else a 2 hitter does.

PalehosePlanet
04-29-2014, 12:01 PM

I'm guessing that Ventura was hoping to accomplish a couple of things in flipping Semien and Beckham in the order. It takes pressure off of Semien who I think has only hit second or led off throughout the season. Hitting second, Beckham is probably going to see more fastballs hitting behind Eaton and in front of Abreu.

As it turned out, Semien had a key RBI opportunity hitting ninth and came through. I don't see any reason to complain about tonight's batting order.

For the second start in a row with pitchers who began the season in the minors, the Sox pitching looked good tonight. The bullpen even looked good. Run support probably had more to do with the strong pitching today, but this year's Sox team has a pretty good chance of winning when holding the opposition to three runs.

And, as much as I've enjoyed watching Abreu break into the big leagues, I like that the Sox can win when he isn't driving in multiple runs or hitting the ball out of the park.

The problem being, of course, is that Beckham is a terrible fastball hitter. The hitch means he has a slider speed bat. If he has to play, he should bat 9th.

PalehosePlanet
04-29-2014, 12:20 PM
So far, Joe Maddon is very impressed by Abreu and the Sox.

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/rays-maddon-abreus-impact-sox-cabrera-tigers?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

TDog
04-29-2014, 01:35 PM
The problem being, of course, is that Beckham is a terrible fastball hitter. The hitch means he has a slider speed bat. If he has to play, he should bat 9th.

Beckham strikeouts and biggest problems have been coming on balls with good movement, which he is less likely to see with Eaton on first and Abreu hitting behind him. Semien this morning was tied for the AL lead in strikeouts and leading the team by a substantial margin, with the league's home run leader and the holder of the AL record for strikeouts in a season well behind him. Ideally, your No. 2 hitter should be one of the toughest to strike out in your lineup. Not being in a role where he needs to take a lot of pitches could take some of the pressure off of him, Where you hit in the lineup, who you hit in front of, who you hit behind can affect your success as a hitter because it changes the approach pitchers take against you, more this year than last year because more hitters are getting on base and more hitters pose threats.

This isn't a huge deal and not worth complaining about. Semien batting ninth Monday was a factor in the White Sox winning Monday. Ventura made a move based on fundamentally successful baseball thought to help two players improve their offense. The go-ahead run was driven in by the ninth-place hitter, so the move seemed to help the team win.

I don't expect Beckham to stay in the No. 2 spot. He has been more successful at the bottom of the order in his career, going back to his rookie season. I read that Beckham hit .290 last year in the 50 games where he was hitting eighth and ninth. But I'm not going to criticize Ventura for trying to help two players improve by flipping them in the order.

hawkjt
04-29-2014, 02:17 PM
Gordo hit the ball hard every time up last nite.

But, Marcus has 9 of his 15 RBIs with two outs.
That is the kind of clutch hitting that has escaped Gordo in his years as a Sox.

Marcus's numbers simply do not reflect his contribution to this point...he has come up with huge HRs to put us ahead 3 times, and another bases-clearing triple that put us ahead...all after the 7th inning.

I like Gordo, and will be fine with a 3rd base rotation between Marcus and Conner (righty/lefty) with Gordo at second, where his defense is great.

I agree with the above comment about how nice it is to score runs without homers...even tho Alejandro's homer was big.

Love the Eaton/Abreu/Flowers/Tank/Alexei/Conner hitting this year...can it last?

TomBradley72
04-29-2014, 02:19 PM
Beckham strikeouts and biggest problems have been coming on balls with good movement, which he is less likely to see with Eaton on first and Abreu hitting behind him. Semien this morning was tied for the AL lead in strikeouts and leading the team by a substantial margin, with the league's home run leader and the holder of the AL record for strikeouts in a season well behind him. Ideally, your No. 2 hitter should be one of the toughest to strike out in your lineup. Not being in a role where he needs to take a lot of pitches could take some of the pressure off of him, Where you hit in the lineup, who you hit in front of, who you hit behind can affect your success as a hitter because it changes the approach pitchers take against you, more this year than last year because more hitters are getting on base and more hitters pose threats.

This isn't a huge deal and not worth complaining about. Semien batting ninth Monday was a factor in the White Sox winning Monday. Ventura made a move based on fundamentally successful baseball thought to help two players improve their offense. The go-ahead run was driven in by the ninth-place hitter, so the move seemed to help the team win.

I don't expect Beckham to stay in the No. 2 spot. He has been more successful at the bottom of the order in his career, going back to his rookie season. I read that Beckham hit .290 last year in the 50 games where he was hitting eighth and ninth. But I'm not going to criticize Ventura for trying to help two players improve by flipping them in the order.

I think this "simplifies" the game for Semian- he can focus on swinging away and driving runs in or getting on base ahead of Eaton to get things going- without all the other roles that go with the #2 spot- for his first full season in the majors- I like it.

The Immigrant
04-29-2014, 02:47 PM
They're trying to make Beckham look a little more presentable so someone will hopefully take him off our hands. I hope everyone realizes by now that he is not in the team's future plans. Just my $0.02.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-29-2014, 03:33 PM
Semien has been Crede-esque clutch. Obviously not as good with the glove as Crede was in his prime (not including the fact that 3B is not his natural position), but I like the kid and hope he sticks around when Gillaspie returns.

doublem23
04-29-2014, 03:55 PM
the complaints about Beckham hitting second seem more spiteful than insightful.

Or it could be borne of the fact that anyone with a computer and a 1st grade understanding of math can see that Beckham's always been a better hitter lower in the order than higher. Here, I'll save you the pain-staking 10 seconds it takes to find this data:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=beckhgo01&year=Career&t=b#lineu

This idea that "the Sox won yesterday" so any discussion of the Sox's lineup is disallowed is absurd; there's a very good chance that the Sox could be 5-10 games over .500 with Marcus batting 2nd if the bullpen wasn't so atrociously bad, but I look forward to your 20,000 word anecdote about how Charlie Finley in the 1970s casually mentioned that the #2 hitter is also responsible for bullpen pitchers or some ****, and that's somehow all on Semien, as well.

tstrike2000
04-29-2014, 04:33 PM
Last night's game_report (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=4501).

Boondock Saint
04-29-2014, 04:35 PM
Or it could be borne of the fact that anyone with a computer and a 1st grade understanding of math can see that Beckham's always been a better hitter lower in the order than higher. Here, I'll save you the pain-staking 10 seconds it takes to find this data:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=beckhgo01&year=Career&t=b#lineu

This idea that "the Sox won yesterday" so any discussion of the Sox's lineup is disallowed is absurd; there's a very good chance that the Sox could be 5-10 games over .500 with Marcus batting 2nd if the bullpen wasn't so atrociously bad, but I look forward to your 20,000 word anecdote about how Charlie Finley in the 1970s casually mentioned that the #2 hitter is also responsible for bullpen pitchers or some ****, and that's somehow all on Semien, as well.

Exactly. I don't hate Beckham, otherwise I wouldn't have been singing "Your Love" at the top of my lungs Sunday when he came to the plate for his first at bat. I can separate my like for him as a person from my dislike for his performance as a baseball player. At this point, I want to see Semien getting the opportunity to develop more than I want to see Gordon Beckham get the opportunity to raise his trade value. Maybe getting a C prospect for Beckham means a whole lot less to me than seeing what Semien can do.

Tragg
04-29-2014, 05:08 PM
How many teams actually bat their best hitter 2nd?
Probably not many, but they usually bat one of their better hitters there.
How many bat their worst hitter 2nd?

TDog
04-29-2014, 05:41 PM

If you hadn't been so anxious to disagree with me, you would have noticed that I pointed out that Beckham has always hit better lower in the order. I could look it up, but I don't need to because I've been paying attention to White Sox baseball. You could have agreed with me on that point instead of trying to demean my position. There's no reason that you should remember that in 2009 I was arguing against moving Beckham from the seventh spot, where he was a rookie .300 hitter to the No. 2 spot, but I don't think Beckham should be the team's longterm No. 2 hitter.

And I don't think Semien is doing an adequate job of hitting second. Except for a few big hits, Semien was the worst hitter in the White Sox lienup except for De Aza who also had a few big hits. Right now, the No. 2 spot in the order is a weakness in the lineup, and Beckham isn't the reason. Moving him down in the order should benefit him.
I really don't know who should be hitting second in the lineup because except for Semien, Beckham and De Aza, all the regulars in the lineup are doing very well where they are. Maybe Semien emerges from this in a better frame of mind to hit second.

It's not a question of Beckham playing second over Semien. Beckham is a better second baseman than Semien and Semien is a better third baseman than Beckham and Gillaspie is hurt and Davidson doesn't look like he will be ready anytime soon. Nobody wants to see the return of Keppinger who was signed to be a quality No. 2 hitter. I understand what Ventura is doing, and I don't think it's such a bad idea.

It's unfortunate that most of the responses to my post are ignoring the elements of baseball theory because they believe it's simply a matter of Beckham sucks.

XplodingScorbord
04-29-2014, 05:49 PM

Minor diversion: I found this hyphenation interesting. Painstaking is one word, but were I to hyphen it, I would have gone with pains-taking, as one would be "taking pains," as opposed to "staking pain."

Sorry, I just like words, and enjoyed the brain gymnastics this provided me. Threadjack over.

vinny
04-29-2014, 06:08 PM
Last night's game_report (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=4501).

Waiting with bated breath for the PTC announcement...:crossfingers:

#1swisher
04-29-2014, 06:17 PM

It's Abreu...we all win!!

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan (https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan) 37m (https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/status/461258250764443648) This thing has done some damage. Jose Abreu's 31.5/34.5 piece of maple. pic.twitter.com/claM2FFxUl (http://t.co/claM2FFxUl)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bma371_IQAApOpU.jpg (http://t.co/claM2FFxUl)

slavko
04-29-2014, 06:19 PM

As long as we're off on a linguistic tangent, the "bated" in "bated breath" refers to "abated" as in slowed down. I hate when people spell it "baited" because that might indicate that someone ate a minnow or a worm.

DSpivack
04-29-2014, 06:22 PM
As long as we're off on a linguistic tangent, the "bated" in "bated breath" refers to "abated" as in slowed down. I hate when people spell it "baited" because that might indicate that someone ate a minnow or a worm.
And we already have a thread here that smells a little too fishy!

#1swisher
04-29-2014, 06:45 PM
Beckham and Semien swapped spots in the order on Monday with the second baseman moving to the No. 2 position while the rookie dropped to ninth. It was probably where he was going to be anyway when he first started so its a good spot for him, manager Robin Ventura said.

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/white-sox-pitcher-paulino-could-head-rehab-assignment-soon-0

ChiSoxGal85
04-29-2014, 06:56 PM
oh, yeah!!! Voodoo, where are you? :D: