PDA

View Full Version : Adam Dunn paid for Scott Carroll's family and friends dinner last night

doublem23
04-28-2014, 03:06 PM
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/1907286_10154080251155092_2935899344026761409_n.pn g

Milw
04-28-2014, 03:17 PM
I do kinda feel bad whenever I boo Dunn, because he does seem like a good guy. I just wish he wasn't terrible at his job.

Rocky Soprano
04-28-2014, 03:22 PM
Nice job Dunn.

Domeshot17
04-28-2014, 03:34 PM
I do kinda feel bad whenever I boo Dunn, because he does seem like a good guy. I just wish he wasn't terrible at his job.

too be fair, this year Dunn is hitting in the .260's with a 900+ OPS, he is doing his job.

It has been well documented that Dunn is a good guy and well liked in the clubhouse, does not shock me, but still awesome.

Milw
04-28-2014, 03:36 PM
too be fair, this year Dunn is hitting in the .260's with a 900+ OPS, he is doing his job.
Right. It's like the third month out of the 20 that he's played for the Sox that he's done his job. So, I'm glad he is right now, but sorry if I'm skeptical that he'll keep it up.

Domeshot17
04-28-2014, 03:48 PM
Right. It's like the third month out of the 20 that he's played for the Sox that he's done his job. So, I'm glad he is right now, but sorry if I'm skeptical that he'll keep it up.

Oh I agree, I had to check this stats to make sure he had not cooled off yet haha. Just saying hopefully we get atleast 1 year of him!

Irishsox1
04-28-2014, 03:48 PM
Timmy O'Tooles....I got drunk there a couple of times. Tom Seaver picked up my bar tab. You know, he's not a bad tipper like Chico Escuela says he is.

Noneck
04-28-2014, 04:44 PM
I would figure this happens all the time but I may be wrong. Its like my little league coach buying everyone on the team a wahoo bar after a big win.

voodoochile
04-28-2014, 04:49 PM
I would figure this happens all the time but I may be wrong. Its like my little league coach buying everyone on the team a wahoo bar after a big win.

Party of 35 at a bar for drinks and dinner, that tab was probably $1-2K pretty easy. Yeah, Dunn can afford it, but it's still a damned nice thing to do.

TaylorStSox
04-28-2014, 04:53 PM
Party of 35 at a bar for drinks and dinner, that tab was probably $1-2K pretty easy. Yeah, Dunn can afford it, but it's still a damned nice thing to do.

Probably more like $4k.

Noneck
04-28-2014, 05:14 PM

As I said Dunn putting out 4k is about the same as my little league coach who made 5k a year putting out 75 cents on wahoo bars. Nice to treat but nothing to make a big deal over.

Steelrod
04-28-2014, 05:26 PM
Classy moves should ALWAYS be made a big deal! Dunn's all class. Whether he can afford it or not is not the point. Anyone else offer to pick up the tab?

hoosiersoxfan
04-28-2014, 05:36 PM
Timmy O'Tooles....I got drunk there a couple of times. Tom Seaver picked up my bar tab. You know, he's not a bad tipper like Chico Escuela says he is.

I'm there at least once a week since it's right around the corner from where I live. Wish I had been there last night! Also I heard a few of the Hawks were there last week.

Classy move by the Big Donkey to pick up the tab

#1swisher
04-28-2014, 05:41 PM
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin (https://twitter.com/scottmerkin) 12m (https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/460908067450654720)

Scott Carroll asked Adam Dunn for a recommendation for a good place that could also take all 35 of his family members postgame Sunday

Dunn told Carroll he would make a few calls, and Carroll thought he was just getting him reservations at some establishment

Instead, Dunn set him up at @TimmyOTooles (https://twitter.com/TimmyOTooles) and paid the full tab. "That was the coolest thing ever," Carroll said of Dunn's actions

:)

spawn
04-28-2014, 05:47 PM

Here's a novel idea. Don't boo him. :shrug:

spawn
04-28-2014, 05:50 PM
As I said Dunn putting out 4k is about the same as my little league coach who made 5k a year putting out 75 cents on wahoo bars. Nice to treat but nothing to make a big deal over.

I really get annoyed at statements like this. Just because he can afford to do it doesn't mean he has to do it. And he didn't make a big deal about it. The guy he bought it for did. I'm sure his family really appreciated it as well. It was a nice thing to do, no matter how inconsequential monetarily it may have been to him.

ChiSoxGal85
04-28-2014, 06:17 PM
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin (https://twitter.com/scottmerkin) 12m (https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/460908067450654720)

Scott Carroll asked Adam Dunn for a recommendation for a good place that could also take all 35 of his family members postgame Sunday

Dunn told Carroll he would make a few calls, and Carroll thought he was just getting him reservations at some establishment

Instead, Dunn set him up at @TimmyOTooles (https://twitter.com/TimmyOTooles) and paid the full tab. "That was the coolest thing ever," Carroll said of Dunn's actions

:)

Some may feel that's not a big deal, but I'm sure Carroll and his family thought it was.

:clap: Adam Dunn, I don't care how good or bad of a player you are...as a person, you rock.

Noneck
04-28-2014, 06:20 PM
I really get annoyed at statements like this. Just because he can afford to do it doesn't mean he has to do it. And he didn't make a big deal about it. The guy he bought it for did. I'm sure his family really appreciated it as well. It was a nice thing to do, no matter how inconsequential monetarily it may have been to him.

I and my little league teammates and parents appreciated it. But things like this never made the neighborhood newspaper. My point was that I would hope these kind of things happen very often but unfortunately I guess it doesnt these days, if a big deal is made of this.

TDog
04-28-2014, 06:29 PM

Right. It was a classy thing to do. It was a classy thing to do for someone whose tenure as a teammate could be measured in hours. That Adam Dunn can afford to make the best day of Scott Carroll's life in baseball the best possible experience for his family doesn't diminish its class. I am guessing he does classy things that no one ever hears about.

If would like to think I would have acted as classy in that situation.

spawn
04-28-2014, 06:39 PM
I and my little league teammates and parents appreciated it. But things like this never made the neighborhood newspaper. My point was that I would hope these kind of things happen very often but unfortunately I guess it doesnt these days, if a big deal is made of this.

Well, I'm sure if your teammates and the parents were interviewed on Comcast Sports, they may have made mention of it. Again, it was Carroll who made mention of it because he appreciated the gesture. It was a class move. Do things like that happen every day? Probably. Doesn't make it any less classy because it isn't mentioned.

XplodingScorbord
04-28-2014, 06:44 PM

It's something to be grateful for if you're the recipient of the largesse. Carroll was grateful and had access to the media. I don't see how anyone can take negative feelings away from this.

Noneck
04-28-2014, 06:49 PM
Do things like that happen every day? Probably. Doesn't make it any less classy because it isn't mentioned.

I hope things like this are a common occurrence but seeing the reactions make me wonder. I would use the term expected rather than classy but thats the way I am.

Boondock Saint
04-28-2014, 06:55 PM

Exactly. Dunn can afford it, Carroll probably can't. The fact that a guy has money doesn't negate a kind gesture.

Noneck
04-28-2014, 07:00 PM
It's something to be grateful for if you're the recipient of the largesse. Carroll was grateful and had access to the media. I don't see how anyone can take negative feelings away from this.

I may be misunderstood here, when I say no big deal I mean to posters here and to the media, these are things that should be expected for the fortunate to do for the less fortunate but unfortunately it doesnt seem to be like that. Carroll is appreciative of this gesture and should be. For Dunn it should be just another day on earth and it probably is, to the rest it should be expected but unfortunately it doesnt seem to be like that.

fisk4ever
04-28-2014, 07:03 PM
I would think that is one of the pleasures of wealth---being able to give to others.

Boondock Saint
04-28-2014, 07:04 PM
I may be misunderstood here, when I say no big deal I mean to posters here and to the media, these are things that should be expected for the fortunate to do for the less fortunate but unfortunately it doesnt seem to be like that. Carroll is appreciative of this gesture and should be. For Dunn it should be just another day on earth and it probably is, to the rest it should be expected but unfortunately it doesnt seem to be like that.

1) Dunn giving his money away for no reason should not be expected.

2) Carroll does not count as "the less fortunate".

CHISOXFAN13
04-28-2014, 07:11 PM

And this thread has ZERO to do with his on field abilities.

Way to piss on the party.

Noneck
04-28-2014, 07:19 PM
1) Dunn giving his money away for no reason should not be expected.

2) Carroll does not count as "the less fortunate".

Yea but I know Carroll is not in the category I hope people like Dunn can help but I also dont know about the the other people that were in the party. I would hope that Dunn did it for the smile on the peoples faces and the time of their lives that some of these people may have had. He probably did and I really hope this does happen often. Making people happy when one can, should be something that is expected.

tstrike2000
04-28-2014, 07:27 PM
As maddening as Dunn has been at the plate, it's nice to hear how he is as a person off the field.

Brian26
04-28-2014, 07:37 PM

Probably more like $4k.

At Timothy O'Toole's? Nah. We're talking about bar food. I'm sure everyone ordered burgers and maybe some appetizers. For 35 people, I bet it was $1500 tops with a nice tip. Still, a nice gesture. Dunn seems like a good guy.

Edit- I sat behind the Carroll clan for the last couple of innings of the game (I didn't realize it was them until I got home and saw myself in pictures and in the video and then recognized these were the guys in front of me). Anyway, they didn't look like the kind of crew that would order $2k in booze, but if they were then perhaps TaylorSt's estimate is more on the money.

Dibbs
04-28-2014, 07:38 PM
Assuming the tab was $4000, based on Dunn's $15mil salary this would be equivalent of someone making $65,000 picking up a tab for $17.33. In reality it is even easier because someone making $65K could very well be living on a tight budget. If the tab was $1500, it would be equal to a $6.50 check.

Nonetheless it is a kind thing for Dunn to do.

slavko
04-28-2014, 07:45 PM
Ribs and the NY Strip are over $20.

http://www.timothyotooles.com/chicago/food

Got a hankerin' for some ribs right about now.

tstrike2000
04-28-2014, 07:48 PM
Edit- I sat behind the Carroll clan for the last couple of innings of the game (I didn't realize it was them until I got home and saw myself in pictures and in the video and then recognized these were the guys in front of me).

Good to hear, when I saw you I thought you were stalking the family.

voodoochile
04-28-2014, 08:14 PM

It's FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS. I don't care how much money you make that's a damned nice thing to do for someone.

Has nothing to do with how much Dunn makes. It was an incredibly generous cool thing to do. Diminishing it because Dunn makes a lot of money is simply silly.

Noneck
04-28-2014, 08:38 PM
It's FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS. I don't care how much money you make that's a damned nice thing to do for someone.

Has nothing to do with how much Dunn makes. It was an incredibly generous cool thing to do. Diminishing it because Dunn makes a lot of money is simply silly.

Many many times I have bought a cup of coffee or a hamburger for a downtrodden individual. The couple bucks it costs me means nothing to me just as the 4k should mean nothing to Dunn and probably doesnt. When I do this I have never thought of it as an incredibly generous thing to do but to you its considered that way. Yes it was a nice thing to do, I have never disputed that.

anewman35
04-28-2014, 08:47 PM
Of all the dumb theads we've ever had here, this might be the dumbest. Adam Dunn did something nice. Scott Carroll thought it was nice. Does this really need to be analyzed any further? The team seems to like each other, that's a good thing, do we really have to figure out HOW nice it actually was?

voodoochile
04-28-2014, 08:55 PM
Many many times I have bought a cup of coffee or a hamburger for a downtrodden individual. The couple bucks it costs me means nothing to me just as the 4k should mean nothing to Dunn and probably doesnt. When I do this I have never thought of it as an incredibly generous thing to do but to you its considered that way. Yes it was a nice thing to do, I have never disputed that.

Of course it was generous. With no expectations of anything other than a thank you from his new roommate Dunn bought dinner and drinks for 35 people. It's not the same thing as a burger for a homeless person, not even close and how much money the giver makes has NOTHING to do with the discussion, period. It's ludicrous to claim it wasn't incredibly generous. Freaking ridiculous conversation.

Harry Potter
04-28-2014, 09:04 PM
Ahh WSI and some posters never cease to amaze me

LoveYourSuit
04-28-2014, 09:13 PM
Of all the dumb theads we've ever had here, this might be the dumbest. Adam Dunn did something nice. Scott Carroll thought it was nice. Does this really need to be analyzed any further? The team seems to like each other, that's a good thing, do we really have to figure out HOW nice it actually was?

I can't believe I'm reading all the analysis of this nice gesture.

TaylorStSox
04-28-2014, 09:22 PM
At Timothy O'Toole's? Nah. We're talking about bar food. I'm sure everyone ordered burgers and maybe some appetizers. For 35 people, I bet it was $1500 tops with a nice tip. Still, a nice gesture. Dunn seems like a good guy.

Edit- I sat behind the Carroll clan for the last couple of innings of the game (I didn't realize it was them until I got home and saw myself in pictures and in the video and then recognized these were the guys in front of me). Anyway, they didn't look like the kind of crew that would order $2k in booze, but if they were then perhaps TaylorSt's estimate is more on the money.

I'm assuming some good times were had. :gulp:

Boondock Saint
04-28-2014, 09:23 PM
I can't believe I'm reading all the analysis of this nice gesture.

No kidding. Some people are unhappy with how Dunn has hit for us, so they must paint him as a douche at all times.

Tragg
04-28-2014, 09:31 PM
Yea, he can easily afford it.
But it's still 4K.
Kudos to Adam.
And, honestly, Carroll and friends/family could also probably afford a dinner at O'Toole's. But it's the gesture and the thought to do this for a family in a special, special moment.

And kudos to you for helping homeless people that you see. You don't have to do it, but you do.

DSpivack
04-28-2014, 11:36 PM
Now I'm wondering what's Dunn's Charity Above Replacement Philanthropist (CARP).

voodoochile
04-28-2014, 11:52 PM
Now I'm wondering what's Dunn's Charity Above Replacement Philanthropist (CARP).

Well a replacement player would be making league minimum so they could only afford to pick up ~$250 to be equally generous, so I'd say Dunn's CARP is well above league average...

Milw
04-29-2014, 10:08 AM
Adam Dunn makes $92,593 every game. He literally made more money on Sunday than most of us will make all year. Good on him, he's a good guy, kudos and all, but it's silly to not take big-picture perspective into account. Four grand is literally walking-around money to him. He gets paid several times that much just for stepping into the batter's box.

anewman35
04-29-2014, 10:17 AM
Adam Dunn makes $92,593 every game. He literally made more money on Sunday than most of us will make all year. Good on him, he's a good guy, kudos and all, but it's silly to not take big-picture perspective into account. Four grand is literally walking-around money to him. He gets paid several times that much just for stepping into the batter's box.

Nobody has claimed that Adam Dunn is a great humanitarian who should be given awards for his great charity towards Scott Carroll. He just did something nice for a co-worker. He didn't have to do it, and Scott Carroll would have been fine and not complained at all if he didn't do it, but he did. WHY IS THIS AN ISSUE?

At my work, there's a guy who randomly pays for people's breakfasts. It's usually $2 or $3 or something. There's not a single person here who can't afford that, and that $2 or $3 dollars isn't hurting the guy buying the lunches. But that doesn't mean it's not a nice thing to do, and it doesn't mean that you don't feel happy for a while at the fact that other people can be nice for no reason. What is wrong with you people?

spawn
04-29-2014, 10:40 AM
I can't believe I'm still reading this thread. Someone does something nice, the person on the receiving end decided to mention the gesture and how thoughtful it is, and some people here have decided "well, Dunn can afford it. It's walking around money for him. No big deal", because they feel the need to piss on the generosity of others. Unreal. :rolleyes:

gobears1987
04-29-2014, 10:47 AM
I really wish Adam Dunn (the player at least) would go away, but he did something nice for a teammate so well done to Adam Dunn the person.

Railsplitter
04-29-2014, 10:51 AM
I can't believe I'm still reading this thread. Someone died something nice, the person on the receiving end decided to mention the gesture and how thoughtful it is, and some people here have decided "well, Dunn can afford it. It's walking around money for him. No big deal", because they feel the need to piss on the generosity of others. Unreal. :rolleyes:
Dunn was under no obligation to pick up then tab for Carroll's family. It's his money and he can do what he wants with it.

I never boo any Sox player.

34 Inch Stick
04-29-2014, 10:54 AM
How did he recommend Timothy O'Toole's out of all the restaurants in this city? Was Chili's booked that night?

Chez
04-29-2014, 10:56 AM
Seems like short of donating a kidney, Adam Dunn can do nothing right with some posters. Then again, he does have two kidneys and obviously makes enough money to invent an artificial kidney. With all his money, why hasn't Dunn invented an artificial kidney?

anewman35
04-29-2014, 11:02 AM
Seems like short of donating a kidney, Adam Dunn can do nothing right with some posters. Then again, he does have two kidneys and obviously makes enough money to invent an artificial kidney. With all his money, why hasn't Dunn invented an artificial kidney?

Adam Dunn makes millions and millions every year. He'll never use it all. Why isn't he donating his entire salary to charity? What an *******.

Chez
04-29-2014, 11:11 AM
adam dunn makes millions and millions every year. He'll never use it all. Why isn't he donating his entire salary to charity? What an *******.

Booooo, Dunn. Boooo!

anewman35
04-29-2014, 11:31 AM
Where's Paul Konerko? He's rich! He's our captain! Shouldn't HE be buying people dinners? And what about Jose Abreu? Shouldn't he just buy dinner for everybody he sees to thank this country for the new life it's allowed him to live? And, hell, even Scott Carroll makes $3,000 a day when he's up in the majors. That's a lot more than most of us make. Who is he to have anything bought for him? Why isn't he buying us things? $3,000 can buy a lot of hot dogs.

Bobby Thigpen
04-29-2014, 11:32 AM
Someone died
Someone died?

Probably that God danged Adam Dunn.:angry:

Paulwny
04-29-2014, 11:45 AM
In today's Trib.- Dunn said he was passing on a gesture made to him when he was a young player and hoped Carroll would one day to be in a position to do the same.

Noneck
04-29-2014, 11:49 AM
I buy a guy a cup of coffee and burger, my neighbor brings out popsicles to the kids playing in the alley, my brother takes the people from work out to lunch, my wife brings a meal over to a neighbor, its part of life or should be and yes it is no big deal and probably isnt to Dunn. Maybe some of the people here dont do those things and this is a big deal to them. I never said anything bad about Dunn, hes the kind of guy we all should be. Discussion closed on my part.

TDog
04-29-2014, 12:02 PM
I can't believe I'm still reading this thread. Someone died something nice, the person on the receiving end decided to mention the gesture and how thoughtful it is, and some people here have decided "well, Dunn can afford it. It's walking around money for him. No big deal", because they feel the need to piss on the generosity of others. Unreal. :rolleyes:

One can only imagine how long this thread would be with sharp criticism of Adam Dunn if he hadn't volunteered to pick up the Scott Carroll family dinner tab while having abundant means to do so.

Hitmen77
04-29-2014, 12:51 PM
If Adam Dunn was really a good guy, he would have bought Andre Rienzo a dinner at Fogo de Chao or Brazzaz after his win last night. Come on, people, he makes $14M a year! It's about time for him to put up or shut up as far as phony generosity is concerned.

No kidding!

spawn
04-29-2014, 01:27 PM
Someone died?

Probably that God danged Adam Dunn.:angry:

D'oh! :redneck

skobabe8
04-29-2014, 01:57 PM

What makes you think one guy buying dinner for 35 strangers happens all the time? It's nothing like your little league coach buying candy bars for your team.

MISoxfan
04-29-2014, 02:30 PM
The cynicism in this thread is ridiculous. It doesn't matter that $4,000 is only a small fraction of what he makes, it is still a a really nice thing to do for someone. It's true, plenty of people are buying burgers and ice cream for homeless little leaguers, and yet nobody deems it necessary to point out how that isn't actually THAT big of a deal.

ddog528
04-29-2014, 03:02 PM
I don't understand the big deal of this thread. Dunn bought Carroll, his family and friends dinner. It was a nice gesture and act. That's it!

doublem23
04-29-2014, 03:16 PM
I really wish Adam Dunn (the player at least) would go away, but he did something nice for a teammate so well done to Adam Dunn the person.

Only 135 games left and you will get your wish. Don't stop believing!

kufram
04-29-2014, 03:39 PM
I wasn't going to contribute to such a depressing thread mainly because I believe what Adam Dunn does with his money is nobody else's business and not for anyone to pass judgement on.

Dunn has conducted himself with dignity in the face of probably his worst nightmare. I'm sure his past performance is not something he is proud of but I've never seen him try to blame anyone or anything for it or make excuses. He's not my favourite type of player at all but, like Greg Walker, he certainly knows how to carry himself in times of adversity. That is pretty rare and tells me more about him than anything to do with performance in baseball.

The past is the past. Get over it. This year he is part of this team, at least for now, and there seems to be no problem with him and the other players and staff. I say cheer him on while it lasts.

kittle42
04-29-2014, 04:45 PM
I can't believe I'm still reading this thread. Someone does something nice, the person on the receiving end decided to mention the gesture and how thoughtful it is, and some people here have decided "well, Dunn can afford it. It's walking around money for him. No big deal", because they feel the need to piss on the generosity of others. Unreal. :rolleyes:

And /thread.

slavko
04-29-2014, 05:20 PM
Four pages of looking a gift horse in the mouth.

kittle42
04-29-2014, 05:30 PM
Four pages of looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Or a Gift Donkey, as it were.

XplodingScorbord
04-29-2014, 05:54 PM
Or a Gift Donkey, as it were.

Nicely done! :lol:

The Immigrant
04-29-2014, 06:10 PM
This thread blows.

ChiSoxGal85
04-29-2014, 06:12 PM
I wasn't going to contribute to such a depressing thread mainly because I believe what Adam Dunn does with his money is nobody else's business and not for anyone to pass judgement on.

Dunn has conducted himself with dignity in the face of probably his worst nightmare. I'm sure his past performance is not something he is proud of but I've never seen him try to blame anyone or anything for it or make excuses. He's not my favourite type of player at all but, like Greg Walker, he certainly knows how to carry himself in times of adversity. That is pretty rare and tells me more about him than anything to do with performance in baseball.

The past is the past. Get over it. This year he is part of this team, at least for now, and there seems to be no problem with him and the other players and staff. I say cheer him on while it lasts.
Well said, Kufram.

sullythered
04-29-2014, 07:27 PM
This is the worst thread ever. I feel like saying something political just so it gets ****-housed. Some of you people are just ridiculous.

voodoochile
04-29-2014, 08:38 PM
I'll just close this, it's done.