PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 4/27 Way to go Rook! Postgame Thread

Madvora
04-27-2014, 05:08 PM
This is the team I've been dreaming of. A little pitching support and this team is unbeatable. Great job by Scott Carroll today.

Marqhead
04-27-2014, 05:09 PM
Jose Abreu is on pace for 62 HRs and 193 RBI.

LITTLE NELL
04-27-2014, 05:09 PM
Super effort for career minor leaguer Scott Caroll. Jose with 4 more RBIs.

Zakath
04-27-2014, 05:11 PM
Might not be a career minor leaguer for long.

Just a fantastic performance on a very windy day in April.

We can also thank the Rays for forgetting how to play defense in the sixth.

dspete
04-27-2014, 05:12 PM
Maybe he can now get the endorsement he is looking for in his you tube video.

http://youtu.be/maJzUsUBjf0

cub killer
04-27-2014, 05:17 PM
Well, this is one of the 3 postgame threads made today. The others' titles are

*OFFICIAL* Have we found a starter post gamer 4.27.14 (made at same time as this one)

and

*OFFICIAL* 4/27 Dream Team Wins Big (made 1 minute before this one)

But this thread has the better title since it honors our new Boy Wonder, The Bear, Joe Abreu!!!! Woohoo!!!:gulp:

Although we have found a starter, but we are definitely not a dream team... yet :)

Marqhead
04-27-2014, 05:28 PM
:cool:

PushinWeight
04-27-2014, 05:35 PM
Only negative from this game is that it's taken a back seat to the bulls/hawks. What's the over/under on Abreu breaking Albert belle's single season hr record?

LITTLE NELL
04-27-2014, 05:39 PM
Only negative from this game is that it's taken a back seat to the bulls/hawks. What's the over/under on Abreu breaking Albert belle's single season hr record?

How about Hack Wilson's ML record of 191 RBIs, Jose on a pace for 200.

soltrain21
04-27-2014, 05:40 PM
Well. I love this team. Pitching be damned.

XplodingScorbord
04-27-2014, 05:41 PM
When I saw the score was 1-0 in like the 5th, I thought "we've got em right where we want em." Love that our guys can score late!

soxfanreggie
04-27-2014, 05:44 PM
Abreu with a nice campaign for Player of the Month! I think it's been a decade or so single we had one (Mags).

Hitmen77
04-27-2014, 05:46 PM
A starter lasting more than 6 innings? Unpossible!

Congratulations Scott Carroll. It sounds like it's been a long, tough road to his MLB debut and it's great that he was able to have such a great game with his family in attendance.

harwar
04-27-2014, 05:48 PM
I've always enjoyed games with no errors, but i'll take this one .. just fun watching these guys .. Abreu is scary good .. Viciedo behind him is leading the league in average .. sometimes i feel like i'm dreaming indeed watching these guys..

LITTLE NELL
04-27-2014, 05:49 PM
Well. I love this team. Pitching be damned.

The thing is we might be able to win the division with some better pitching. I was really disappointed in Danks last night, of course when you get shut out you aren't going to win many games.

TDog
04-27-2014, 05:57 PM
I don't know how good Scott Carroll is or will be this season. I do know his 1.23 ERA is deceptively high, having left with one out with a runner on first who the reliever would allow to score. And it wasn't what turned out to be an embarrassment of run support that led to his first MLB win in his MLB debut. I thought the unearned run on the Viciedo error would burst his bubble, especially when I saw the leadoff single an inning. If Viciedo had not thrown out the runner, putting Carroll back into the stretch with the Rays in a position to build on their lead, the game might have gone differently.

The fact that Carroll didn't fall apart may be the most impressive aspect to his start. There were other aspects to like. I looked at his pitch count at or near the end of the seventh, and he hadn't broken 90. His strike-to-ball ratio may not have been impressive, but he was successively pitching to contact and didn't need to strike hitters out. Pitching to contact got him a couple of double plays.

Today it was Price, the veteran with the hardware, who fell apart.

This game essentially turned on a bunt. I don't know if Ventura called it or Semien was bunting on his own, maybe that was addressed by reporters after the game, but it was the right call at the right time. Semien hadn't had a hit since Detroit, and he had just one single since his grand slam, failing in a couple of RBI opportunities. Taking the pressure off Semien and putting pressure on the Rays defense. Two pitches after Price faced Semien with a 2-0 count and a 2-run lead, he was losing 4-0. The next time Semien came up, he doubled with two on and Abreu followed by cleaning up the bases.

Of course, Abreu was once again the hitting star. The stat sheet might tell you that Carroll coasted behind Abreu, but today Carroll gave Abreu a chance to be the offensive hero. I'm thrilled enough that I'm wearing a Scott Carroll 1983-style jersey, although I noticed it has Adrian Nieto's number on it. It was a little frustrating to see Webb come in and throw balls. Not long ago, I thought Webb was a bright spot in the bullpen. Fortunately for the Sox, Price had already let the game get away from him.

amsteel
04-27-2014, 05:58 PM
Is it too late to include Abreu in the 2014 HOF class?

guillensdisciple
04-27-2014, 06:01 PM

I thought he was voted in last year.

Shoeless
04-27-2014, 06:09 PM

He's great and everybody knows it. What a talent.

russ99
04-27-2014, 06:13 PM
Fun game to be at, at least when you were in the sun. But no complaints given the forecast.

Abreu's homer into a stiff east wind was absolutely destroyed.

Looked like he could have hit the concourse if the wind wasn't blowing in so strongly. I'm calling it, he'll be the first Sox player to hit one on the Fundamentals Deck.

ElevenUp
04-27-2014, 06:23 PM
Great game. Abreu continues to impress. The shots of Carroll's parents, especially his Mom, when he was leaving to a standing O got me right in the feels. Cheers to the 29 year old rookie. :gulp:

Boondock Saint
04-27-2014, 06:28 PM
Just got back from the game, it was a blast. Sat behind some super cool Rays fans out in right field, they totally called Lueke giving up those runs in the 7th. I can't remember the last time I was at a game where I felt comfortable enough to take my attention away from the game, walk the concourse and check out the sights at the stadium because we had it locked up. The wind was a real mother, though.

Golden Sox
04-27-2014, 06:45 PM
1) The White Sox have had 2 great hitters in my lifetime, Frank Thomas and Dick Allen. It looks like Jose Abreu will be the third one. He looks like the real deal who is probably Hall Of Fame bound.
2) I have no doubt in my mind that Gordon Beckham won't be with White Sox after this season. He hasn't turned out to be the hitter everybody thought he was going to be after his rookie year. But after watching him play over the weekend he is really a good /great defensive 2nd baseman. He is going to be hard to replace defensively.
3) Went to the game Saturday night. It was brutally cold. It was so bad that after the 2nd inning I went out to the Bullpen Sports bar in right field and watched the game from there. The place was jam packed with people trying to stay out of the cold. This has got to be the coldest Spring in many years. It seems like we're just going to eventually go into summer.

Tragg
04-27-2014, 06:47 PM
I don't know how much stuff he has or if he just got lucky, but at least he didn't walk many.

ChiSoxGal85
04-27-2014, 06:51 PM
Great game. Abreu continues to impress. The shots of Carroll's parents, especially his Mom, when he was leaving to a standing O got me right in the feels. Cheers to the 29 year old rookie. :gulp:
Carroll got all choked up in the post-game interview talking about his difficulties in getting to the bigs, and nearly quitting when he tore his elbow, and it got me all teary eyed. Great story. I wish him the best and hope he can stick. If he can keep the ball down like that in the Cell, he'll do well. His FB has a bit of movement on it; reminded me at times of Peavy's fastball that moves in to righties.

Zakath
04-27-2014, 07:02 PM
Carroll got all choked up in the post-game interview talking about his difficulties in getting to the bigs, and nearly quitting when he tore his elbow, and it got me all teary eyed. Great story. I wish him the best and hope he can stick. If he can keep the ball down like that in the Cell, he'll do well. His FB has a bit of movement on it; reminded me at times of Peavy's fastball that moves in to righties.

Some of that also could have been freezing his ass off after Alexei dumped the Gatorade bucket on him.

I assume he got the beer shower in the locker room too.

fram40
04-27-2014, 07:20 PM
Some of that also could have been freezing his ass off after Alexei dumped the Gatorade bucket on him.

I assume he got the beer shower in the locker room too.

I don't think the Gatorade dump had anything to do with him starting to get all choked up. I think the more he talked, and the more the reporter asked, the more he realized what a big deal the day was. And he started to get more and more choked up

Ultimately, he kept his emotions in check. Just like he did on the mound today. I hope that bodes well for his next start. And the ones after that as well.

Brian26
04-27-2014, 08:05 PM
Going down there today, with Carroll versus Price, I conceded that I might be watching a losing game. It was a nice surprise. Fun game. This team is damn fun to watch. Loved the standing ovation for Carroll at the end and his waving to the crowd in return. Proud to be a Sox fan today.

LITTLE NELL
04-27-2014, 08:11 PM
Going down there today, with Carroll versus Price, I conceded that I might be watching a losing game. It was a nice surprise. Fun game. This team is damn fun to watch. Loved the standing ovation for Carroll at the end and his waving to the crowd in return. Proud to be a Sox fan today.

:thumbsup:

SoxSpeed22
04-27-2014, 08:16 PM
Talent be damned, these guys are really fun to watch. Truth be told, I didn't expect much from the kid, but the really came through today. It was a relief to see him attacking the hitters. Getting his first Major League win after everything he's been through is always great. The way Jose is hitting, there will be plenty more rookie records he can set.

anewman35
04-27-2014, 08:22 PM
First game of the year in person today, and it was a great one, obviously. My favorite little touch that I doubt was mentioned on tv: a few times on the main scoreboard, they showed the two team logos. They used the 1983 batter logo for the Sox and to match (here's the fun part) the fake "1979" Rays logo (seen at http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/ooke3a1s057cjng7av5fqdkhf/Tampa_Bay_Rays/2012/Throwback_Logo). I doubt very many people even noticed or knew what it was, but it really amused me. Good work, scoreboard team!

soltrain21
04-27-2014, 08:25 PM
maJzUsUBjf0

TomBradley72
04-27-2014, 08:26 PM
One of the coolest things in baseball is when "the kid" called up from the minors has a great debut in front of the home crowd- with Carroll's family in the stands and the emotions from both Scott and his mother- very touching.

Hanson had a nice 2nd start with Charlotte- maybe he and Carroll will solve our need for RH starters-

I like the upgrade in our defense with Beckham at 2nd and Semian at 3rd-

SoxChic5
04-27-2014, 08:36 PM
I got all teary eyed listening to his post game interview. What a great day!!!

Brian26
04-27-2014, 08:46 PM
First game of the year in person today, and it was a great one, obviously. My favorite little touch that I doubt was mentioned on tv: a few times on the main scoreboard, they showed the two team logos. They used the 1983 batter logo for the Sox and to match (here's the fun part) the fake "1979" Rays logo (seen at http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/ooke3a1s057cjng7av5fqdkhf/Tampa_Bay_Rays/2012/Throwback_Logo). I doubt very many people even noticed or knew what it was, but it really amused me. Good work, scoreboard team!

Yep, I saw that. Very cool. I actually like those fake Rays unis too. Sort of an amalgamation of the Expos and old 70s Padres unis.

Tragg
04-27-2014, 09:04 PM
I just watch Carroll's highlights. He threw mainly curve balls and what looked like some sort of sinker or splitter. Didn't see many straight fastballs. His curve looked almost as pretty as Floyd would throw when he was on his game.

kingpin_rcs
04-27-2014, 09:20 PM
It's only April but I believe more good things have happened this season than all of last season. This is fun again.

DrCrawdad
04-27-2014, 09:28 PM
This is the team I've been dreaming of. A little pitching support and this team is unbeatable. Great job by Scott Carroll today.

I got all teary eyed listening to his post game interview. What a great day!!!

It's only April but I believe more good things have happened this season than all of last season. This is fun again.

I was at my first Sox game of the year. Great performance by Carroll! The enthusiastic ovation for Carroll from the hearty fans who were there today was awesome.

Boondock Saint
04-27-2014, 09:39 PM
I was at my first Sox game of the year. Great performance by Carroll! The enthusiastic ovation for Carroll from the hearty fans who were there today was awesome.

Kid earned it. I kept looking over to my buddy, and saying incredulously, "This kid's hanging with David ****in' Price!". He got the Rays to hit into three double plays, and it easily could have been four. Every time the Rays got a little something going, he smothered it. He was really awesome today.

cards press box
04-27-2014, 09:59 PM
Kid earned it. I kept looking over to my buddy, and saying incredulously, "This kid's hanging with David ****in' Price!". He got the Rays to hit into three double plays, and it easily could have been four. Every time the Rays got a little something going, he smothered it. He was really awesome today.

What a great performance from Carroll!

:winner

Railsplitter
04-27-2014, 10:19 PM
A few Gift runs and a winner!
:bandance:

JB98
04-27-2014, 10:39 PM
A 29-year-old making his first MLB start against former Cy Young award winner David Price. No way the Sox should have won this game, but win it they did. And they won it easy. I still think this team has a lot of holes, but 2013 is over. It's a better team this year.

Bucky F. Dent
04-27-2014, 10:55 PM

Absolutely!

vinny
04-27-2014, 10:59 PM
If it's Sunday, the Sox must be winning! :)

HomeFish
04-27-2014, 11:38 PM
WSI, not a website known for being happy about anything, is suddenly extraordinarily happy about a .500 team. HomeFish, not a poster known for being happy about anything, is suddenly extraordinarily happy about a .500 team.

What a difference an Abreu makes.

Boondock Saint
04-27-2014, 11:48 PM
WSI, not a website known for being happy about anything, is suddenly extraordinarily happy about a .500 team. HomeFish, not a poster known for being happy about anything, is suddenly extraordinarily happy about a .500 team.

What a difference an Abreu makes.

The difference is that we're on the upswing, and shockingly quickly, as opposed to the last few years, where we'd been waiting for the guillotine blade to drop.

doublem23
04-28-2014, 12:01 AM
The difference is that we're on the upswing, and shockingly quickly, as opposed to the last few years, where we'd been waiting for the guillotine blade to drop.

Yes.

BTW, for all the conspiracy theorists out there who think the Sox get no love on the national scene, they're the 2nd baseball story in SportsCenter tonight, after only the Yankees/Angels Sunday night game, and 4th story overall, behind the Clippers/Warriors/Donald Sterling-gate controversy and the story on the Hawks series win over the Blues. Granted, a lot of it focused on the incredible April Jose Abreu is having. But still, nice to be back in the spotlight. :cool:

aryzner
04-28-2014, 08:52 AM
Abreu's gotta be AL Rookie of the Month, right? Not Tanaka.

TomBradley72
04-28-2014, 09:33 AM
My $0.02 on yesterday's game-

Nice to see Eaton score while TB as holding the ball on Semian's bunt- he brings a very nice edge to this team
I like Semian more at 3rd than 2nd (for this year any way)- upgrade for our defense vs. Gillaspie, and on track for 87 RBIs at his current pace.
Like Beckham at the pivot for double plays- seems to help our defense settle down
Very disappointed in Viciedo's dropped fly ball- no excuse for not using 2 hands on a windy day and a ball that would have ended the inning
Overall- this is one of the most likeable White Sox teams I can remember- kind of a mix of the 1977 team (great offense- sketchy defense and pitching) and the 1990 team (very young, coming out of nowhere).

We need a few of the reclamation projects in Charlotte to come through and need to find a LOOGY without giving up any piece important to ur future- if you're a .500 team you're in the Wild Card race until about mid-August- I'll be happy with a fun, interesting team through the summer.

Hahn looks like a genius right now-

russ99
04-28-2014, 09:45 AM
Very disappointed in Viciedo's dropped fly ball- no excuse for not using 2 hands on a windy day and a ball that would have ended the inning

I'm not. I was sitting almost at the wall on the 1B side and on a foul ball hit 4 rows back, the ball was impossible to see against the sky and I barely saw it before it hit. So it was one of those guess and pick it up against the facade plays for Viciedo, and he was in a full sprint.

A difficult play for a good fielder

harwar
04-28-2014, 09:59 AM
Looking forward to Carroll's next start, perhaps against the Cubs .. be interesting to see if he has that sinker working again, like he did yesterday .. it got him out a few jams..

TomBradley72
04-28-2014, 10:01 AM
I'm not. I was sitting almost at the wall on the 1B side and on a foul ball hit 4 rows back, the ball was impossible to see against the sky and I barely saw it before it hit. So it was one of those guess and pick it up against the facade plays for Viciedo, and he was in a full sprint.

I'll need to look again- on TV it looked like he was standing still camped underneath it- but took his eye off the ball as it clanked off his glove-

Shoeless
04-28-2014, 11:24 AM
Abreu's gotta be AL Rookie of the Month, right? Not Tanaka.

If Tanaka beats out Abreu, it's because of the NY on his cap. Abreu is breaking records at this point.

Boondock Saint
04-28-2014, 05:15 PM

Eh. I was sitting close to you, and before that ball was even hit, I noted to my friends that Viciedo was playing way too close to center for my liking on that at bat.

hawkjt
04-28-2014, 06:14 PM
Nice to get Price for a change....he kills the Sox.

Carroll threw strikes...love it!

The speed of our team is putting some pressure on opposing defenses, and yesterday was an example.

Seems like forever since the Sox have had this many high-average hitters going good....love it...please keep it rolling!