PDA

View Full Version : Johnson sent to Charlotte

anewman35
04-26-2014, 10:58 PM
The roster shuffle continues... Johnson is being sent to Charlotte, Scott Carroll will be called up (although I'm not sure that's official yet), and they'll have to make yet another move to get a starter up for Wednesday...

Domeshot17
04-26-2014, 11:01 PM
that is what happens when you can't throw strikes

doublem23
04-27-2014, 01:43 AM
that is what happens when you can't throw strikes

I think it's also they're trying to find warm bodies to make starts.

Chez
04-27-2014, 11:18 AM
The roster shuffle continues... Johnson is being sent to Charlotte, Scott Carroll will be called up (although I'm not sure that's official yet), and they'll have to make yet another move to get a starter up for Wednesday...

Is Sale eligible to come off the DL on Wednesday to make the start?

#1swisher
04-27-2014, 11:56 AM
"I think it's just something where I have to go down and refine my stuff and get it back to where it was, and hopefully come back up and help the team as best as I can," Johnson said.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140426&content_id=73473278&notebook_id=73519100&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws

LITTLE NELL
04-27-2014, 12:02 PM
This is becoming a regular revolving door with the Sox in the pitching department. This might be the worst Sox pitching staff I've seen since I started following them in the early 50s. I don't follow the minors all that well but do we have anybody down on the farm that can throw strikes and get people out, what are the prospects down the road, any potential in the next couple of years?

TomBradley72
04-27-2014, 02:21 PM
This is becoming a regular revolving door with the Sox in the pitching department. This might be the worst Sox pitching staff I've seen since I started following them in the early 50s. I don't follow the minors all that well but do we have anybody down on the farm that can throw strikes and get people out, what are the prospects down the road, any potential in the next couple of years?

VERY little at AA or AAA right now-mosly reclamation projects at AAA, and other than Beck at AA- not much there either-

TDog
04-27-2014, 05:18 PM

This pitching staff isn't even close to the worst White Sox pitching staff since the 1950s. In 1970, Gerry Janeski started 35 games, second on the staff behind Tommy John. Joe Horlen had a terrible season. Bob Miller, who had pitched with the 1962 Mets, started 12 games. The only effective reliever was Wilbur Wood. They used more than 20 pitchers, more than half of them started at least three games, and I'm guessing more than half of them barely if at all appeared in the majors after 1970.

And this pitching staff is better than the 1977 staff.

A. Cavatica
04-27-2014, 05:21 PM
This pitching staff isn't even close to the worst White Sox pitching staff since the 1950s. In 1970, Gerry Janeski started 35 games, second on the staff behind Tommy John. Joe Horlen had a terrible season. Bob Miller, who had pitched with the 1962 Mets, started 12 games. The only effective reliever was Wilbur Wood. They used more than 20 pitchers, more than half of them started at least three games, and I'm guessing more than half of them barely if at all appeared in the majors after 1970.

At least this staff has a couple of good starters, but after Quintana it looks a lot like the 1977-1979 staff.

LITTLE NELL
04-27-2014, 05:23 PM

That why I said "might be". I remember 1970 very well, in fact too well. I just don't remember all the walks we are giving up. Anyway the team ERA going into today's game was 5.19. Caroll gave us a nice boost today.

LITTLE NELL
04-27-2014, 05:27 PM
At least this staff has a couple of good starters, but after Quintana it looks a lot like the 1977-1979 staff.

Check out our starters in 1979. That was the year we had 4 promising left handers and they all were .500 or better, Trout, Kravec, Baumgarten and Wortham. Barrios was also 8-3 as the only RH starter. Starters went 61-46 for a team that finished at 73-89. It was the rest of the staff that wasn't good.

FallOfFingolfin
04-27-2014, 05:38 PM
Check out our starters in 1979. That was the year we had 4 promising left handers and they all were .500 or better, Trout, Kravec, Baumgarten and Wortham. Barrios was also 8-3 as the only RH starter. Starters went 61-46 for a team that finished at 73-89. It was the rest of the staff that wasn't good.

Wooo pitcher W-L.

anewman35
04-27-2014, 07:54 PM
Is Sale eligible to come off the DL on Wednesday to make the start?

Nope, not til next Saturday.

CallMeNuts
04-27-2014, 09:02 PM
Not to worry. Rain out Monday, and an off day on Thursday.

Whitesox029
04-27-2014, 09:16 PM
I don't think you could call any staff with Sale on it the worst Sox staff.

anewman35
04-28-2014, 12:12 AM

You might be right about tomorrow - the weather does look like ****, but keep in mind that Tampa doesn't come back this year, so I suspect they'll do anything they can to at least get 5 innings in and avoid having to come back for one game or play the game in Tampa (they do come back to play the Cubs, but we're in Seattle on the only off day they have)

doublem23
04-28-2014, 02:02 AM

Not 100% sure Sale will be activated off the DL when he is eligible

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140427&content_id=73550784&notebook_id=73550790&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws

LITTLE NELL
04-28-2014, 06:18 AM
Wooo pitcher W-L.

The only starter with an ERA over 4 was Wortham.

Tragg
04-28-2014, 10:13 AM

And we had Pete Vuckovich whom we foolishly let go in the expansion draft a couple of years earlier. And within a few years, we had moved most of these players along to make room for a new set of bigger and better young pitchers: Britt Burns, Dick Dotson and LaMarr Hoyt.

Hahn is going to have to makes some moves for young pitching, as we know. Just resist the temptation to trade assets for middle relievers.

TomBradley72
04-28-2014, 10:23 AM
And we had Pete Vuckovich whom we foolishly let go in the expansion draft a couple of years earlier. And within a few years, we had moved most of these players along to make room for a new set of bigger and better young pitchers: Britt Burns, Dick Dotson and LaMarr Hoyt.

Hahn is going to have to makes some moves for young pitching, as we know. Just resist the temptation to trade assets for middle relievers.

We're building some org depth in the middle infield (assuming Semian and Micah Johnson are long term guys- then Beckham and Sanchez might generate some trade value), and if we assume Viciedo/Eaton/A. Garcia are the long term outfielders- then some of our outfield prospects (mostly at AA) may be trade bait as well.

We should have alot of payroll freed up to go after FA's in the offseason (Dunn, PK, De Aza, Beckham- adds up to $25-30M)

Irishsox1
04-28-2014, 10:29 AM
The Sox need a closer ASAP because with that offense they are going to be in a lot of games.