PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* 4/25 Today was a good day! Postgamer

knocko94
04-25-2014, 11:16 PM
ABREU!!!!!!

Great sports day in Chicago, Blackhakws + Bulls + Sox!

Tragg
04-25-2014, 11:17 PM
A very good day.
Jose Abreu - he can play.

Boondock Saint
04-25-2014, 11:17 PM
The kids can ****ing play.

chisox12
04-25-2014, 11:18 PM
Thank you Jose!!

Bulls, Hawks, Sox parlay paid 9 to 1. It was a very good day!!

Marqhead
Mercy

A. Cavatica
ABREU!!!!!!

Great sports day in Chicago, Blackhakws + Bulls + Sox!

And the Cubs lost! 4 for 4!

voodoochile
04-25-2014, 11:19 PM
That ball was a humpback liner the other way. Think it got out in under 3 seconds. Haven't seen one hit that hard in a while. Abreu is ridiculously strong.

Great night in Chicago sports and I got to see all the wins and all the big moments. Nothing wrong with that...

:supernana:

MISoxfan
Unbelievable!

thomas35forever
What a stud! This dude has arrived in the bugs! And he's all ours!:bandance:

Very reminiscent of Robin against Gossage in '91!

Brian26
I said I liked our chances with Balfour challenging Abreu. Unbelievable moment. BIG WIN.

Soxman219
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOO:):):):bandance::bandance::happybday:h appybday:happybday:):):)

all*star quentin
Starting to be fun, again! :bandance:

Soxman219
04-25-2014, 11:20 PM

:gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp:

Zakath
04-25-2014, 11:20 PM
Wow. Just wow.

That slump he went through seems like ancient history now.

sullythered
04-25-2014, 11:21 PM
Hawk said rookie record for homers in April. For the Sox or for the league?

cards press box
04-25-2014, 11:22 PM
Didn't Billy Joel sing something about coming to the plate in the 9th with 2 men out and 3 men on? Yes sir and Jose Abreu came through under pressure!

:winner

Brian26
04-25-2014, 11:22 PM
hawk said rookie record for homers in april. For the sox or for the league?

mlb.

A. Cavatica
04-25-2014, 11:23 PM
Abreu now tied for HR and RBI lead. Viciedo leading in average.

Tragg
I just saw the highlights - Eaton's grounder - that was, uh, close.

What were Pauli and Balfour jawing about?

Brian26
Excuse me while I watch that again, for the 8th time....

tstrike2000
Didn't see any of tonight's game because of both of the playoff games going on, but awesome, Abreu still a beast.

knocko94

True, but I didn't want to recognize them in the slightest with the first post.

Some really impressive work in the ninth off that maniac Balfour. De'Aza with the opposite field hit. Flowers with the great eye, and Konerko with the walk + psych-out of Balfour. Semien was able to coax an easy walk after that little bit of a meltdown.

And then, of course, Abreu MURDERED a grand slam to right. Can't forget that. He's a good one!

Marqhead
04-25-2014, 11:24 PM
Hawk said rookie record for homers in April. For the Sox or for the league?

Jose Abreu (http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/33095/jose-abreu) closes in on the AL rookie record for home runs and RBIs in March/April...

anewman35
The offense on this team is amazing. It's been years since we've had a team like this that can score at any point during the game and is almost never out of it. To me, the most exciting part is that while we might not have enough this year (although nobody seems to be taking it, so you never know), the core of this team should be around for a few years. Add in some major league pitching and we have some really fun seasons to look forward to...

voodoochile
Abreu now tied for HR and RBI lead. Viciedo leading in average.

Ramirez is 3rd and Flowers would be leading them all if he had like 2 more PA.

TaylorStSox
04-25-2014, 11:25 PM
That was beautiful.

anewman35
04-25-2014, 11:26 PM
Abreu now has the March/April record for homers by a rookie all by himself and he's tied (with Albert Pujols) for the March/April RBI record by a rookie. Let's get that one tomorrow!

Shoeless
04-25-2014, 11:27 PM
We are all witnesses

Zakath
Since the 1-25 slump, Abreu has gone 12-30 with 10 R, 3 2B, 5 HR, and 13 RBI in the last seven games (which includes the 0-5 with 3 K in yesterday's loss to Detroit).

Noneck
Nice come from behind win but these walks will kill them down the line.

RadioheadRocks
Can we get a GIF of Balfour slamming his glove down and compare and contrast it with Ted Lilly? :D:

voodoochile
I just kept waiting for Robin to come running out of the dugout, toss Jose over his shoulder and start bouncing him...

Boondock Saint
Abreu now has the March/April record for homers by a rookie all by himself and he's tied (with Albert Pujols) for the March/April RBI record by a rookie. Let's get that one tomorrow!

The fact that he's looking to pass Albert Pujols in anything is staggering.

A. Cavatica
04-25-2014, 11:28 PM
And as good as the hitting is, that's how bad the pitching is.

Really needed more from Johnson tonight.

ChiSoxGal85
04-25-2014, 11:30 PM
I'm pretty sure the whole neighborhood heard me yell when that ball jumped off Abreu's bat.

This team doesn't quit! love it!

thomas35forever
04-25-2014, 11:31 PM
I just kept waiting for Robin to come running out of the dugout, toss Jose over his shoulder and start bouncing him...

Or to have Stoney say "The man of the hour. The man of April."

Zakath

Well, we don't lead the AL in runs scored AND runs allowed for nothing...

cheezheadsoxfan
:bliss::bliss::bliss:
What fun!!

RadioheadRocks
04-25-2014, 11:32 PM
I'm pretty sure the whole neighborhood heard me yell when that ball jumped off Abreu's bat.

This team doesn't quit! love it!

Precisely why management needs to do whatever it takes to get the pitching situation on track.

Tragg
I just watched Eaton's play at first. Definitely safe; close, but very easy to see with replay. Don't know why it took so long. Good leg-out.

MLB.com always slow getting Sox walk-offs up.

A. Cavatica
Well, we don't lead the AL in runs scored AND runs allowed for nothing...

At least you get your money's worth.

Feels like 1977.

Soxman219
04-25-2014, 11:33 PM
I would live off of Balfour's tears right now. Seriously Abreu hitting that HR off him FELT. SO. GOOD.

voodoochile
04-25-2014, 11:33 PM

For a team not expected to do much who is still trying to figure out their reliever rotation and has had several relievers get off to very shaky starts as well as having an injury to their #2 reliever and #1 ace pitcher being .500 is pretty solid work.

More so when you factor in the fact they've played a brutal April schedule with really only 1 day off (not counting the gimme day off on day two of the season) against some very solid competition. Boston, Texas, Detroit and Tampa are all favorites to make the playoffs or even win the whole damned thing.

I'm very happy with this team's production at this stage of the season.

A. Cavatica
04-25-2014, 11:36 PM
For a team not expected to do much who is still trying to figure out their reliever rotation and has had several relievers get off to very shaky starts as well as having an injury to their #2 reliever and #1 ace pitcher being .500 is pretty solid work.

More so when you factor in the fact they've played a brutal April schedule with really only 1 day off (not counting the gimme day off on day two of the season) against some very solid competition. Boston, Texas, Detroit and Tampa are all favorites to make the playoffs or even win the whole damned thing.

I'm very happy with this team's production at this stage of the season.

Me too. The hitters have been superhuman. Let's hope the pitching starts to come together.

Noneck
04-25-2014, 11:37 PM
Feels like 1977.

I hope it continues because this would be so much better. We all knew the hitmen was a one and done year, this team could be around a long time.

LoveYourSuit
04-25-2014, 11:49 PM
I'm lost for words for what Abreu means for this franchise.

The guy has a chance to save the White Sox and make them relevant again.

Think about the last guy who did this, mid/late 80s when team was in the dumps. Who was that guy that broke in, 1990?

WisSoxFan
04-25-2014, 11:50 PM
I can't explain how much I enjoy watching grown men act like little boys. Fun win.

Zakath
04-25-2014, 11:50 PM
Sox already lead the majors with most BB allowed (only team to break 100 so far this year) so tonight's 11, including an unconscionable 5 to Matt Joyce, is par for the course.

ChicagoG19
04-25-2014, 11:51 PM
The pitching still needs work, but at least the team is entertaining to watch and competitive.

RadioheadRocks
04-25-2014, 11:54 PM
Sox already lead the majors with most BB allowed (only team to break 100 so far this year) so tonight's 11, including an unconscionable 5 to Matt Joyce, is par for the course.

This.

This team is showing it wants to win, if that's not incentive to finally do something about the sorry pitching situation I'd like to know what is.

A. Cavatica
04-26-2014, 12:01 AM
This.

This team is showing it wants to win, if that's not incentive to finally do something about the sorry pitching situation I'd like to know what is.

What would you have them do?

Hire one of the unemployed Cy Young Award winners from the docks?

Sox traded pitching to get hitting. Should they now trade hitting to get pitching? Because Bacon is worth a mid-rotation starter?

I don't think Bacon even fetches a Bruce Chen type.

RadioheadRocks
04-26-2014, 12:08 AM

Sox traded pitching to get hitting. Should they now trade hitting to get pitching? Because Bacon is worth a mid-rotation starter?

I'm not suggesting anything tantamount to hyperbole, but complacency sure as hell isn't helping. Whatever, at least the offense didn't give up, but the painfully sub-par pitching cannot continue.

Boondock Saint
04-26-2014, 12:21 AM
I'm not suggesting anything tantamount to hyperbole, but complacency sure as hell isn't helping. Whatever, at least the offense didn't give up, but the painfully sub-par pitching cannot continue.

It's a rebuild, it's going to take time. The fact that we're in the situation we are in today (undeniable ace who is still very young, good young lead-off CF, absolute monster 1B, other young, promising players) is shocking, considering how grim the situation looked six months ago. The team is young, and the guys who will be sticking around are going to be very cheap considering their value. Another offseason or so will have big time free agents ready to commit to us.

TDog
04-26-2014, 12:35 AM
So many things went wrong tonight, the starting pitcher not being able to get make it though the second, the office shutting down just as it appeared the Sox were going to going to take the lead, the Sox walking 11 Rays while giving up 10 Rays hits. In the end, Abreu went so right that it didn't matter.

Abreu gave the White Sox a quick lead with a solid single in the first. He started the comeback with a home run in the third. With the White Sox down in the ninth, down to their last out, he ended the game with the Sox ahead.

It's funny how walking the No. 2 hitter in the Rays lineup in the ninth felt such a prelude to loss for the Sox (although I'm not sure why no White Sox pitcher tonight could throw strikes to Joyce with Longoria on deck) and a walk to the White Sox No. 2 hitter preceded the fatal blow against the Rays. Balfour never really had it going tonight, but Eaton made the Rays pay for not quite being quick enough on a double play ball. I wonder if the replay review affected Balfour at all as he was unable to throw strikes to Semien with Abreu on deck.

In addition to Abreu, some other things went right. The bullpen that came in to get the last out in the second kept the Rays scoreless until the ninth. The Sox had a good defensive game, turning three double plays, one starting at the plate. Eaton set up the first run with a stolen base and set up the last four by beating the play at first. It was a team win to be sure, but the star of the game was abundantly clear.

I really like the way the Cuban connection has looked this April. Abreu's American career has gotten off to a great start, and Viciedo and Ramirez are looking better than they ever have.

TheVulture
04-26-2014, 12:55 AM
:happybday

That was great

TDog
04-26-2014, 01:22 AM

Strictly speaking, the Sox didn't trade much pitching to get the hitting they have this year. Addison Reed brought the White Sox Matt Davidon who hasn't helped the Sox this year. Jake Peavy brought the Sox Avisal Garcia, who only played eight games before going down for the season, and even while in the lineup, he didn't do nearly as much as Dayan Viciedo has.

Hector Santiago brought the Sox Adam Eaton, but the Sox gave up no pitching to acquire Jose Abreu. Meanwhile .300-hitters Viciedo, Tyler Flowers, Alexei Ramirez and Conor Gillaspie played for the Sox last year.

russ99
04-26-2014, 01:44 AM
A slugger that can hit to the opposite field with power is a rare and beautiful thing.

I haven't seen a Sox hitter hit like that since Frank.

Don't want to put crazy expectations on the kid (which seemed to partially cause his slump) but that's a really nice start in the bigs.

:gulp:

Stanley
04-26-2014, 02:43 AM
Incredible last inning, glad I caught it. Eaton hauling down the line and catching the front of the bag a millisecond earlier than the ball was just awesome. Smart base running and great call by the ump. Love the walks and patience at the plate, too. If this were last year all over again you know it'd be Alexei up and swinging at the first pitch, grounding into a double play to end it or something.

First time I've had confidence in a Sox hitter like that in a long time during the Abreu/Balfour duel. You knew something special was going to happen, but when it did happen I couldn't believe it.

How did Johnson get pulled after less than 2 innings in such a relatively low scoring game? I didn't see most of the game. Not much confidence in this kid though. Throws a flat fastball and seems to telegraph his pitches in general.

Moses_Scurry
04-26-2014, 05:06 AM
The Man needs a nickname!!! I hope Hawk is actively on the case.

LITTLE NELL
04-26-2014, 05:28 AM
The team, hitting wise has made a 180 degree turn from last year. I know its early but if we keep hitting the division can be won with some pitching help, that's the big IF, where can we get some pitching?
Abreu with 27 RBIs already, on a pace for 182, amazing, Hahn should be named GM of the year right now for signing this kid.

TomBradley72
04-26-2014, 06:13 AM

The players were calling him "The Oso" (The Bear) in spring training- I liked that-

WSox597
04-26-2014, 06:32 AM
They are fun to watch again. Last year was painful. Great turnaround.

If only Hahn had the job a little bit sooner, he's made some excellent moves.

I'll bet several other teams are kicking themselves over not signing Abreu right about now. The kid looks like the real deal, glad he's with the Sox.

An excellent night in Chicago sports!

HomeFish
04-26-2014, 06:52 AM
Could not be happier about Jose breaking out of his slump the last few days. His initial power surge plus subsequent sub-.200 average was giving me shades of Viciedo's debut.

What a kid!

guillensdisciple
04-26-2014, 07:23 AM
The team, hitting wise has made a 180 degree turn from last year. I know its early but if we keep hitting the division can be won with some pitching help, that's the big IF, where can we get some pitching?
Abreu with 27 RBIs already, on a pace for 182, amazing, Hahn should be named GM of the year right now for signing this kid.

I have been listening to a lot of mlb Radio on Sirius and thats whatthey always harp about. How did the Sox swoop in and get this guy. Was it as simple as money or did our recent Cuban baseball influence have something to do with it as well.

Doesn't matter to me. We have our franchise changer.

anewman35
04-26-2014, 07:46 AM
How did Johnson get pulled after less than 2 innings in such a relatively low scoring game? I didn't see most of the game. Not much confidence in this kid though. Throws a flat fastball and seems to telegraph his pitches in general.

This'll do it (all with two outs):

David DeJesús walked
Yunel Escobar singled to shallow left, Evan Longoria scored, David DeJesús to second
Ryan Hanigan singled to shallow left, David DeJesús scored, Yunel Escobar to second
Ben Zobrist doubled to shallow right, Yunel Escobar scored, Ryan Hanigan to third
Desmond Jennings walked
Matt Joyce walked, Ryan Hanigan scored, Ben Zobrist to third, Desmond Jennings to second
Jake Petricka relieved Erik Johnson

Another hit there (with the bases loaded) would have blown the game wide open. That's one thing that's getting lost a bit with Abreu's heroics - the middle relief walked way too many guys, but at least they went 6.1 innings with nobody scoring.

doublem23
04-26-2014, 07:48 AM
I just saw the highlights - Eaton's grounder - that was, uh, close.

What were Pauli and Balfour jawing about?

Who knows? Balfour's always running his mouth.

doublem23
04-26-2014, 07:51 AM
It's a rebuild, it's going to take time. The fact that we're in the situation we are in today (undeniable ace who is still very young, good young lead-off CF, absolute monster 1B, other young, promising players) is shocking, considering how grim the situation looked six months ago. The team is young, and the guys who will be sticking around are going to be very cheap considering their value. Another offseason or so will have big time free agents ready to commit to us.

Exactly, I agree, I would like the Sox to find another 7-8 lockdown pitchers to go with Sale, Quintana, and Danks but it's all part of the process.

This team lost 99 games and played dead ass baseball for 162 games. This is such a drastic improvement in 1 year, how can you not be happy?

Railsplitter
04-26-2014, 08:01 AM
:bandance:

Yes, the sox are better off than last year, but are still at the .500 mark. As a certain base running goof shows, they have things to work on.

doublem23
04-26-2014, 08:25 AM

Yes, the sox are better off than last year, but are still at the .500 mark. As a certain base running goof shows, they have things to work on.

If they win 81 games this year, only play .500 baseball, that would still be a near 20-win improvement in a single off-season.

Do folks really not forget HOW BAD they were last season?

October26
04-26-2014, 08:32 AM
Abreu is amazing! And I loved Hawk's home run call ending in: "Our kids just will not quit!". Great win! :bandance:

harwar
04-26-2014, 08:42 AM
In the 9th, before anything was happening, Hawk kept repeating, "we can do this" .. i felt the same way, and really thought that something good was about to happen .. the pride is back, and i'm once again proud to be a White Sox fan .. that's something that i didn't say very often last year .. i'm thinking that Balfour needs a time out corner or therapy .. earlier this year i didn't like the media comparing Jose Abreu to Frank Thomas, but with the way he hits bombs to center and right field, it's difficult not to make the comparison .. wish Avisail Garcia could have been a part of this..

Noneck
04-26-2014, 08:46 AM

He has one "The Oso" (The Bear) as does Eaton "Spanky" but since Harrelson didnt coin them, he doesnt use the nicks.

voodoochile
04-26-2014, 08:52 AM
I'm lost for words for what Abreu means for this franchise.

The guy has a chance to save the White Sox and make them relevant again.

Think about the last guy who did this, mid/late 80s when team was in the dumps. Who was that guy that broke in, 1990?

With his opposite field power I've been feeling this way since early on. On a similar note Abreu at bats are quickly becoming must see TV. I was watching last night anyway but when he walked up to the plate in the 9th I ceased all other distractions to watch him hit. He didn't disappoint...

BigKlu59
04-26-2014, 08:58 AM
:D: Keep it going boys... Nothing finer than watchin the MLB wrap up after the Sox hammer their way to a win... Love seein all the Sox stats and having the talking heads HAVE to give them some love... This team hangs around and we could be looking at a post season after the debacle last year..

The Chicago White Sox: Competative again and never out of any game.. Thats all you can ask for. Now if we could only upgrade the relief staff so we will not have chewed all of our finger nails down to the quick...

BK59

bestkosher
04-26-2014, 09:34 AM
Every time I hear "The Oso" I think of this.

http://disneyjunior.com/special-agent-oso

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9Df3wbOvfA

LoveYourSuit
04-26-2014, 09:39 AM
With his opposite field power I've been feeling this way since early on. On a similar note Abreu at bats are quickly becoming must see TV. I was watching last night anyway but when he walked up to the plate in the 9th I ceased all other distractions to watch him hit. He didn't disappoint...

As I was telling a few of my friends via text last night, scarry thing this is not even close to what the finished product will be.

Wait til he learns to cheat on those fastball and turn and burn.

This guy will have a chance to hit 40+, easily. He will put one in the concourse in LF this year.

LoveYourSuit
04-26-2014, 09:47 AM
If they win 81 games this year, only play .500 baseball, that would still be a near 20-win improvement in a single off-season.

See, I don't put too much stock on how bad this team was last year. Yes the record was, but IMO it did not have to do with the talent. It was almost the same team which was pretty good the previous season. Almost won the division.

I think they fall in between those two seasons.

Hitmen77
04-26-2014, 10:05 AM
Incredible come back in the 9th. Helps me forget Johnson's disappointing start. I didn't watch the beginning of the game, but when I saw on gameday that he was out so soon, I wondered if he got injured.

Abreu has been incredible. Also great job by Eaton in beating out that potential double play to keep the game alive. This game would have been a certain loss most of the last 3 seasons (save that brief run at the top in 2012).

Exactly, I agree, I would like the Sox to find another 7-8 lockdown pitchers to go with Sale, Quintana, and Danks but it's all part of the process.

This team lost 99 games and played dead ass baseball for 162 games. This is such a drastic improvement in 1 year, how can you not be happy?

Yeah, if Johnson is struggling, i'm not sure how Sox management is going to "do something" about it. Paulino already flopped. Who are they going to start instead? Axelrod? The last thing I want Sox management to do is panic/get ahead of themselves and start trading off what little depth we have for a good starting pitcher right now.

We're not even out of April yet. No way we're going to go from 99 loses to a playoff contender overnight and without taking our lumps with some struggling young players.

Zakath
04-26-2014, 10:11 AM

What's scarier is that at the 48-game mark last year, the Sox were .500 (24-24), just having swept Miami right before Memorial Day.

Then came the disastrous series with the Cubs, and the mile markers got scary. The 30th win came after the 41st loss (6-17 stretch). 40th win didn't show up until after the 59th loss (10-18 stretch). 50th win (actually in the middle of a 7-game winning streak) followed the 74th loss (10-15). 60 wins came after 91 losses (10-17), and then they finished 3-8.

The Sox scored less than 600 runs in 162 games last year (598). At the current pace (134 runs in 24 games), the Sox would score 904 runs this year. Of course, we're also on a pace to give up 891 (only :rolleyes: gave up 723 last year).

ChicagoG19
04-26-2014, 10:16 AM

Pretty much the entire AL is at the .500 mark.

Zakath
04-26-2014, 10:23 AM

Correct. Only three teams (Oakland [15-8], Texas [14-9], and Houston [7-17]) are more than four games over or under .500.

Then again, only five teams in the NL are more than four games over or under .500 (Atlanta [15-7], Milwaukee [17-6 :o:], Pittsburgh [9-15], Flubs [7-15], and Arizona [8-18]).

TomBradley72
04-26-2014, 10:38 AM
Abreu is on a pace for 61 HRs and 182 RBIs. :cool:

PalehosePlanet
04-26-2014, 10:40 AM
Incredible last inning, glad I caught it. Eaton hauling down the line and catching the front of the bag a millisecond earlier than the ball was just awesome. Smart base running and great call by the ump. Love the walks and patience at the plate, too. If this were last year all over again you know it'd be Alexei up and swinging at the first pitch, grounding into a double play to end it or something.

First time I've had confidence in a Sox hitter like that in a long time during the Abreu/Balfour duel. You knew something special was going to happen, but when it did happen I couldn't believe it.

He actually has very good movement on his two-seamer. The problem right now is his velocity is down 2-4 MPH from normal. I'm expecting when his normal velocity returns that he won't be reluctant to challenge hitters with the four seamer. TB did a real nice job laying off some good breaking balls in the 2nd inning, and Johnson struggled from the stretch w/his fastball location (and the reluctance to throw it early in the count that I mentioned earlier played into it also.)

hoosiersoxfan
04-26-2014, 10:47 AM

How fortunate have we all been with our first basemen the past 20+ years?

Big Hurt, Paulie, and now Abreu's turn to carry on the tradition as a stud first baseman

cws05champ
04-26-2014, 10:54 AM
And it's not really warm yet!!! :bandance::bandance:

The Rays announcers were commenting " What is this guy going to do in June and July in this park?"

voodoochile
04-26-2014, 11:05 AM

Yep, we're tied for the second wild card slot! :D:

BedfordChisox
04-26-2014, 11:24 AM
I know its still early, but wouldn't it be appropriate to show Todd Steverson some love for our offensive prowess? Watching Ramirez, Flowers, and Viciedo, it seems pretty obvious that they are all taking a different approach from the past. The man is doing something good, and our hitters are listening.

anewman35
04-26-2014, 11:24 AM
For those who didn't see it, the Rays tv broadcast of the Slam was pretty great. Watch for Balfour's reaction in the dugout!

http://m.mlb.com/video/v32386367/tbcws-rays-lose-on-abreus-walkoff-grand-slam/?c_id=mlb

cws05champ
04-26-2014, 11:28 AM
I know its still early, but wouldn't it be appropriate to show Todd Steverson some love for our offensive prowess? Watching Ramirez, Flowers, and Viciedo, it seems pretty obvious that they are all taking a different approach from the past. The man is doing something good, and our hitters are listening.

Todd can fix em'?

DumpJerry
04-26-2014, 11:46 AM
I was thinking of posting "imagine what this team would be like with a guy like, oh say, Avisail Garcia in the lineup" but Viciedo's bat has been very welcome.

Next year, the outfield should be Viciedo, Eaton, A. Garcia. That should cause some opposing pitching coaches to lose some sleep.

October26
04-26-2014, 12:27 PM
And it's not really warm yet!!! :bandance::bandance:

The Rays announcers were commenting " What is this guy going to do in June and July in this park?"

Can't wait to see this! :gosox:

Noneck
04-26-2014, 12:49 PM
Next year, the outfield should be Viciedo, Eaton, A. Garcia. That should cause some opposing pitching coaches to lose some sleep.

Way too early for getting excited about that.

SouthSideMike
04-26-2014, 01:11 PM
It's been a hectic month getting moved down here to Tampa, so it's nice to be able to see the Sox on local TV here (don't have the MLB package, though I get WGN America, which has a game now and then).

Congrats to Abreu on the rookie HR record for April.

It's nice to have some new blood and things to look forward to with the White Sox.

anewman35
04-26-2014, 01:11 PM
Way too early for getting excited about that.

Why?

It's way too early to start putting down money on our 2015 World Series chances. But what's the harm in being excited about something? It might not work out (like 99% of our seasons don't work out), but it's a lot more fun than being depressed all the time.

#1swisher
04-26-2014, 01:25 PM
MLB Stat of the Day ‏@MLBStatoftheDay (https://twitter.com/MLBStatoftheDay)[/URL]

Jose Abreu's walk-off slam was the first for the [URL="https://twitter.com/whitesox"]@whitesox (https://twitter.com/MLBStatoftheDay/status/460062546398314496) with the club trailing since Robin Ventura hit one on July 31, 1991.

cub killer
04-26-2014, 01:30 PM
So the Cuban Connection are The Missile, The Tank and The Bear.

The Sox need to make a poster of them in the same way the Bears made a poster of the Black&Blues Brothers. I would definitely cop.

TDog
04-26-2014, 01:52 PM

Some people have been talking about 1977 because of the excitement of the runs scored and frustration with the runs allowed, coming off of a 96-loss season. During the opening series this team reminded me of the 1971 team that came back and were so much more competitive after he 106-loss 1970 season. Like the 1971 team, I expected this one to get better later in the season as some things game together. The next off-season, they acquired Dick Allen to make the 1972 White Sox one of the best in baseball, however briefly.

The dynamics are different, of course. And Jose Abreu is feeling sort of like Dick Allen a year early. Abreu has hit a few more home runs and has a few more RBIs. Allen only had 8 home runs and 31 RBIs through May, with there being a lot less April baseball and scheduled Sunday doubleheaders (the second game of which Allen would defer to Tony Muser) throughout the season. Allen hit for a higher average and walked more than Abreu. And Old Comiskey was huge. Two of his home runs that year came inside the old Metropolitan Stadium on the current site of the Mall of America. But Allen was a veteran NL offensive monster punishing the baseball with a 42-ounce bat.

One of the things that has impressed me with Abreu is that in his first year of American baseball he has adjusted after slumping, facing challenges Allen didn't have to face. Dick Allen in 1972 had one of the great offensive seasons in a White Sox uniform, relative to the rest of the league and in context to pennant/divisional race (although he wasn't the future Hall-of-Famer on the team). You didn't need to look at his numbers to know he was the AL MVP.

I see fans recalling the coming of Frank Thomas a quarter of a century ago, but darned if I wasn't reminded last night of Dick Allen, It's only April. It's only April for a few days still, but it feels like this Abreu thing is getting good.

LITTLE NELL
04-26-2014, 01:58 PM
It's been a hectic month getting moved down here to Tampa, so it's nice to be able to see the Sox on local TV here (don't have the MLB package, though I get WGN America, which has a game now and then).

Congrats to Abreu on the rookie HR record for April.

It's nice to have some new blood and things to look forward to with the White Sox.

Welcome to Florida, Sox will be at the Trop in September, let's hope they are in the race.

LITTLE NELL
04-26-2014, 02:05 PM
Some people have been talking about 1977 because of the excitement of the runs scored and frustration with the runs allowed, coming off of a 96-loss season. During the opening series this team reminded me of the 1971 team that came back and were so much more competitive after he 106-loss 1970 season. Like the 1971 team, I expected this one to get better later in the season as some things game together. The next off-season, they acquired Dick Allen to make the 1972 White Sox one of the best in baseball, however briefly.

The dynamics are different, of course. And Jose Abreu is feeling sort of like Dick Allen a year early. Abreu has hit a few more home runs and has a few more RBIs. Allen only had 8 home runs and 31 RBIs through May, with there being a lot less April baseball and scheduled Sunday doubleheaders (the second game of which Allen would defer to Tony Muser) throughout the season. Allen hit for a higher average and walked more than Abreu. And Old Comiskey was huge. Two of his home runs that year came inside the old Metropolitan Stadium on the current site of the Mall of America. But Allen was a veteran NL offensive monster punishing the baseball with a 42-ounce bat.

One of the things that has impressed me with Abreu is that in his first year of American baseball he has adjusted after slumping, facing challenges Allen didn't have to face. Dick Allen in 1972 had one of the great offensive seasons in a White Sox uniform, relative to the rest of the league and in context to pennant/divisional race (although he wasn't the future Hall-of-Famer on the team). You didn't need to look at his numbers to know he was the AL MVP.

I see fans recalling the coming of Frank Thomas a quarter of a century ago, but darned if I wasn't reminded last night of Dick Allen, It's only April. It's only April for a few days still, but it feels like this Abreu thing is getting good.

You are right, 1971 was a very satisfying year after 3 horrible years including the worst Sox season ever in 1970. It was also Harry's first year and he made every game sound like the 7th game of the World Series. I grew up listening to Bob Elson and he was a no nonsense guy and all Sox fans loved him but Harry brought a whole new dimension with his broadcasting style.
Another thing about 1971, the Sox for the first time in their history had a HR champion with Bill Melton leading the AL in round trippers.

harwar
04-26-2014, 02:13 PM
So the Cuban Connection are .. The Missile, The Tank and The Bear.

sounds like a children's book from the old soviet union..

kufram
04-26-2014, 02:22 PM
To those of you feeling a little giddy with excitement and hope for this team... enjoy it!! You've earned it. Don't let the sceptics and prophets talk you down. Hope is worth every ounce you have in any case.

Reality is easy to describe before it happens. The fact is ANYTHING can happen. When a phenom like Abreu comes along everyone gets better.... the hitter in front of him, the hitter behind him, the guy on the bench, the fan in the stands, et al.

This is no raw rookie we are seeing. He is a seasoned professional hitter who knows what he is doing and is not intimidated in the least as far as I can tell. If PK can help him improve his defense he can be the best player in baseball and he looks like he knows that.

FallOfFingolfin
04-26-2014, 02:34 PM
This is no raw rookie we are seeing. He is a seasoned professional hitter who knows what he is doing and is not intimidated in the least as far as I can tell. If PK can help him improve his defense he can be the best player in baseball and he looks like he knows that.

You realize that for a poor-fielding first basement to lay claim to that title you have to be a generational hitting talent?

TomBradley72
04-26-2014, 02:54 PM
You are right, 1971 was a very satisfying year after 3 horrible years including the worst Sox season ever in 1970. It was also Harry's first year and he made every game sound like the 7th game of the World Series. I grew up listening to Bob Elson and he was a no nonsense guy and all Sox fans loved him but Harry brought a whole new dimension with his broadcasting style.
Another thing about 1971, the Sox for the first time in their history had a HR champion with Bill Melton leading the AL in round trippers.

The 1971 season was the year I became a White Sox fan- before that- I liked "both" teams- between Tanner, the young players and Harry Caray- they were much more exciting than the aging Cubbie across town.

Stanley
04-26-2014, 03:28 PM
Also loved that Paulie started jawing at Balfour, whether Balfour was yelling at himself or Paulie or whoever. Paulie is now the grizzled old vet who probably wishes he had spoken up a bit more over the years when things got heated. He is teaching the youngins well. In this game I think you have to speak up for yourself, right or wrong to keep the intensity and chemistry going. I used to hate when the Sox hitters would get thrown at at an alarming rate, while we never seemed to stick up for ourselves.

Stanley
04-26-2014, 03:39 PM
[/B]

He actually has very good movement on his two-seamer. The problem right now is his velocity is down 2-4 MPH from normal. I'm expecting when his normal velocity returns that he won't be reluctant to challenge hitters with the four seamer. TB did a real nice job laying off some good breaking balls in the 2nd inning, and Johnson struggled from the stretch w/his fastball location (and the reluctance to throw it early in the count that I mentioned earlier played into it also.)

I'm not seeing the movement. He's a big tall guy with a distinct downward motion toward the plate, and I think that contributes to the ball being picked up more easily by hitters, as well as his control issues. Of course I could be wrong.

The breaking balls I saw on mlb.com last night looked OK but nothing spectacular. TB is probably one of the more patient hitting teams anyway. Regardless, he seems to always be nibbling and doesn't seem to have the most confidence in his stuff.

DrCrawdad
04-26-2014, 04:05 PM
For those who didn't see it, the Rays tv broadcast of the Slam was pretty great. Watch for Balfour's reaction in the dugout!

http://m.mlb.com/video/v32386367/tbcws-rays-lose-on-abreus-walkoff-grand-slam/?c_id=mlb

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=7693&stc=1&d=1398546289
LOVE IT!

DumpJerry
04-26-2014, 04:22 PM
So the Cuban Connection are The Missile, The Tank and The Bear.

The Sox need to make a poster of them in the same way the Bears made a poster of the Black&Blues Brothers. I would definitely cop.
Nieto was born in Cuba.

voodoochile
04-26-2014, 04:43 PM
Nieto was born in Cuba.

Okay, so The Missle, the Tank, The Bear and the Bench...

TDog
04-26-2014, 06:12 PM

Wow. I just had a flashback. July 4, 2003 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TBA/TBA200307040.shtml). That happened to be the last baseball game I saw on television live for three years, so it stands out all the more.

It's nice to be on the other side, especially against a team and a closer that ended the last White Sox postseason run, which was more memorable for the running start to get into the postseason than the postseason in which Dewayne Wise was the White Sox hitting star.

Moses_Scurry
04-26-2014, 06:23 PM
I like the Oso, or the Bear for us non-spanish speaking folk. I'm good with that as his nickname from here on out!

ChiSoxGal85
04-26-2014, 06:24 PM

I could watch that over...and over...and over...and over...and over...:bandance:

kufram
04-27-2014, 09:53 AM
You realize that for a poor-fielding first basement to lay claim to that title you have to be a generational hitting talent?

Yes, I realize that. He's already broken a record held by Albert Pujols.

Do you realize that a basement can't play baseball at all?

October26
04-27-2014, 12:19 PM
I could watch that over...and over...and over...and over...and over...:bandance:

Me too! I spent the afternoon with my dad yesterday and we watched the video several times. It was great to relive that moment! :bandance::bandance: