PDA

View Full Version : This has nothing to do with...

Tragg
08-09-2002, 10:13 PM
the 10-2 final, but I must wonder how in the hell does Seattle have the kind of record that they have? Simply no real weaknesses?
They don't have a real ace, imo (Moyer?).
Their closer's a fraud.
Besides Edgar, there isn't a bat that I really fear.
I don't see it.
yet, there they are 25+ over .500.

Daver
08-09-2002, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
the 10-2 final, but I must wonder how in the hell does Seattle have the kind of record that they have? Simply no real weaknesses?
They don't have a real ace, imo (Moyer?).
Their closer's a fraud.
I don't see it.
yet, there they are 25+ over .500.

Simple,they are a team,and they play as a team.There are no ego's,there are no guys taking a day off,they play hard everyday,every game,and they get results from it.

Garcia ould be their ace BTW.

doublem23
08-09-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Tragg

I'd fear Ichiro, too.

whitesoxwilkes
08-09-2002, 10:35 PM
I fear Ichiro's feet more than his bat. It's once he drops that bat and starts down the line toward 1st base that he gets downright scary.

OEO Magglio
08-09-2002, 11:34 PM
I dont know how you can say the Mariners dont have an ace, Freddy Garcia, Jamie Moyer, and even Joel Pineiro have pitched well enough to be considered aces.

StepsInSC
08-10-2002, 12:14 AM
How is Sasaki a fraud? I don't understand how putting up great numbers makes you a fraud....unless its a good thing...like "Man that Magglio Ordonez is such a fraud dude."

Olerud is having another great year, Boone is hitting, they have the best leadoff hitter in baseball, they're whole lineup is solid hitters (maybe not triple crown threats, but all solid hitters), they have tons of speed, tons of defense, a great bullpen...

Where's the mystery?

MrX
08-10-2002, 01:14 AM
Don't forget they have a great manager to.

Plus they became really good after they dumped this guy

:nardi

Hopefully the same thing happens to us.

DonkeyKongerko
08-10-2002, 03:06 AM
according to my calculations, nardi was with the mariners for little over a year.

:nardi

the whitesox were blessed with nearly 4 years of the contreras administration from 1998-2002.

:nardi :nardi :nardi :nardi

huh? whats the point? i thought it was obvious.

four times the nardi = four times as much post-nardi boom.
four times better than the mariners.

PS: is it just me or does it seem like the nardis dont all look the same when they are all four in a row like that?

kermittheefrog
08-10-2002, 04:02 AM
Maybe you should just have some more respect for the players on the Mariners team because they are obviously good. The cute idea that they are better than the sum of their parts because they play as a team is nice but frankly these guys are really good and some of them are just underrated because they aren't household names.

Tragg
08-10-2002, 07:08 AM
To answer everyone:
a)I think closer is an overrated position. Anyway, the notion that Sasaki is a fraud is strictly my own; I've seen him pitch a bunch and he looks emminently hittable to me.
b)Yes, Garcia Pinerio and Moyer are very good - 3 solid starters, although, again, I wouldn't call any a real ace.
c) Olerud, Susuki and Edgar are very good hitters, and, yes, susuki is probably baseball's best lead-off hitter. And these aren't even their power hitters
d)Perhaps some of my perception comes from the fact that 2 of their top 3 power hitters play cf and 2b, usually non-power positions.

SOXSINCE'70
08-10-2002, 07:35 AM
And if Ichiro wants 2 more days off,so be it.I definitely like the Sox' chances with him on the bench.

:sellreinsy