PDA

View Full Version : Viciedo and Flowers

LITTLE NELL
04-24-2014, 04:54 PM
I don't get to see the Sox much, only when they are on WGN. Question for you daily viewers, have Tank and Flowers finally figured out how to hit, both had 3 more hits today and are at .370+. Anyone noticed any changes, it seemed to me that Tyler in the few games I saw was using the whole field which is good. I think Tank has taken advantage of Garcia going down for the year as he was going to be a platoon player before Garcia's injury.

mark1529
04-24-2014, 05:12 PM
all i hear about flowers is he's healthy and adjusted his swing so this bat is in the zone more

kittle42
04-24-2014, 05:18 PM
I really am not trying to be Debbie Downer, but if I were a fantasy baseball owner, I would sell high.

balke
04-24-2014, 07:23 PM
Viciedo was doing well last season when healthy. .291 in the 2nd half of 2013.

Madvora
04-24-2014, 07:36 PM
Tank is killing the ball. It seems like Flowers always hits a bloop in front of the outfielders.

Corlose 15
04-25-2014, 11:28 AM
There are some articles with quotes from Viciedo where he says he's finally been able to lay off sliders outside the zone.

jdm2662
04-25-2014, 11:29 AM
There are some articles with quotes from Viciedo where he says he's finally been able to lay off sliders outside the zone.

Yes, that was a big blunder for him. Hopefully, Abreu learns to do that, too.

hoosiersoxfan
04-25-2014, 11:37 AM
Viciedo hasn't been swinging at pitches out of the zone like he has in the past. He is hitting line drives all over the field. Flowers seems to get a lot of ground balls just past diving infielders. I'm sure both guys will come back down to reality relatively soon but I see a much higher likelihood that Tank keeps hitting the ball well than Flowers will.

doublem23
04-25-2014, 12:12 PM
Good read on Viciedo's blistering start at the plate. Yes, it is early, but he looks like a man with a plan when he's hitting now.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2014/4/25/5651926/snapshots-of-dayan-viciedos-stunning-start

Brian26
04-25-2014, 12:33 PM
Answer is probably simple, but I'm missing it. Any reason why Flowers and his .371 BA aren't listed in the AL leaders? Seems like he should be in the top four. He has 64 at bats. Is it based on plate appearances instead to qualify? Joyce has less ABs than Flowers.

doublem23
04-25-2014, 12:37 PM
Answer is probably simple, but I'm missing it. Any reason why Flowers and his .371 BA aren't listed in the AL leaders? Seems like he should be in the top four. He has 64 at bats. Is it based on plate appearances instead to qualify? Joyce has less ABs than Flowers.

It is based on plate appearances and team games played. Need to at least have 3.1 PA per team game played to qualify.

Sox have played 23 games, so you would need 72 PA to qualify. Flowers has 68.

TDog
04-25-2014, 01:23 PM
Flowers still seems to be striking out a lot, with as many strike outs as Dunn and Abreu. And I don't think he's going to .375 this year. But he seems to be working harder to make better contact, leading to more hits. Part of it is that he is healthier this year, but he also looks smarter at the plate. Maybe hits are falling for him because scouting, both in how teams are pitching him and how defenses are positioning him, haven't adjusted yet.

There were people in the Braves organization and around baseball who believed Flowers had a chance to develop into a solid offensive player. And this year, since about the third game in the season, he has been a better offensive player than he has been in past seasons.

Viciedo is looking like the hitter the White Sox expected him to be when he came up in 2010. He's had a few opposite-field bloops and a gift triple yesterday. But opposite-field bloops sort of make you a tougher hitter to play defense against and may not live large in Frank Thomas' legend, but certainly helped his career numbers, which include a batting title.

With Viciedo, I also wonder if the acquisition of Garcia lit some sort of competitive fire under him and if the White Sox Cuban core has helped him. The Cubans, the regulars anyway, are doing some damage in the White Sox lineup.

I wouldn't suggest that Flowers and Viciedo are going to return to their career norms and become weak offensive players. I don't know that anyone is.

fram40
04-25-2014, 04:26 PM
I am not a big sabermetrician guy, but given how many Ks Flowers has (24 in 68 PAs), his BABIP has to be unbelievably high. Unsustainable over a full season

Tanks, otoh, has only 11 Ks in 76 PAs. So his BABIP may be more sustainable

Sorry - I can't find the stat on my usual stats sites

Flowers BABIP is at .590. Tank is at .431. Hard to believe either will stay this high over the course of teh season

doublem23
04-25-2014, 04:34 PM
They're both extremely high; Flowers' BABIP is .590, Viciedo's is .431

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2014-batting.shtml#players_advanced_batting::7

fram40
04-25-2014, 04:35 PM
They're both extremely high; Flowers' BABIP is .590, Viciedo's is .431

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2014-batting.shtml#players_advanced_batting::7

we both it found it and added at the same time

cards press box
04-25-2014, 10:22 PM
Like many of the Sox, Viciedo and Flowers both seem to have a much better command of the strike zone this season. That, I think, has a lot to do with their improved hitting and the Sox' improved hitting.

Moses_Scurry
04-26-2014, 06:07 AM
Abreu is like Michael Jordan. He makes everyone in the lineup with him better!

The Man is a wizard.

mmmmmbeeer
04-26-2014, 11:38 AM
There were people in the Braves organization and around baseball who believed Flowers had a chance to develop into a solid offensive player.

I think that the last few years have caused a lot of people to forget about this. The guy was basically a .300 hitter in the Braves minor league system and was definitely a decent prospect based on his offensive output. His defense was atrocious in the minors and was the concern, never his hitting. I read somewhere that Flowers mentioned going back to his hitting form and strategy of those days and that he's seeing results. I think Tyler can hit ~.290 over the course of this season with his new/old approach and actually be someone you aren't frustrated to see at bat in high leverage situations.

shes
04-26-2014, 12:21 PM
Flowers is going to come crashing down to reality very soon. He's getting a good amount of cheap hits. A .600 BABIP is literally double where it should be. Remove half of Flowers hits on batted balls and you get a better idea of where he'll end up (.194, which is what he batted last year).