PDA

View Full Version : Is Konerko going to make it through the whole season?

doublem23
04-21-2014, 10:19 AM
OK, so we're 3 weeks into the year now, Paulie has a total of 17 plate appearances, 1 hit, and 1 sac fly for a slash line of .063/.059/.063. He's getting paid $2.5 million, which to most of us, to sit around and watch baseball from the dugout all year is an amazing deal, but he's earned nearly $130 million his career and is missing another summer with his wife and kids to sit around and basically do nothing.

Paul means too much to Reinsdorf and the Sox to get the Carlton Fisk treatment, but does anyone think he may just go the Griffey route and retire mid-year? It's not even like he's on a surefire World Series contender here, while they look pretty improved and a lot feistier over last year's dead ass club, the general consensus that this club is still, best case scenario, 1-2 years away from having real ambitions as a contender look pretty accurate.

Thought just crossed my mind this weekend, wondering if anyone else feels the same.

kittle42
04-21-2014, 10:34 AM
They're not going anywhere this season, so neither is he. I say no question he stays the whole year.

The Immigrant
04-21-2014, 10:50 AM
I think he retires mid-year. The team can give him a nice retirement celebration over a weekend in June or July (as opposed to a sparsely attended home game in September), the fans will come out to pay their respects, and then he'll free up a much needed roster spot and go back to his wife and kids in Arizona. It's a classic win-win!

34 Inch Stick
04-21-2014, 11:00 AM
If Dunn can keep up these numbers, he will be moved and Paulie will ride into the sunset at DH.

TaylorStSox
04-21-2014, 11:29 AM
He's embarrassing himself IMO.

TomBradley72
04-21-2014, 11:31 AM
I think he retires mid-year. The team can give him a nice retirement celebration over a weekend in June or July (as opposed to a sparsely attended home game in September), the fans will come out to pay their respects, and then he'll free up a much needed roster spot and go back to his wife and kids in Arizona. It's a classic win-win!

I actually agree with this- I think the team chemistry stuff is in much better shape than they expected it to be- and I think Paulie will be uncomfortable hanging around if there really isn't a role for him.

Abreu is adjusting very well, Dunn is not the disaster he's been the last few years and playing 1-2 times/week may be tougher for PK (combined with aging) than he expected-

vinny
04-21-2014, 11:50 AM
Right now, he's just taking up roster space, but it's not like the organization is jammed with people we should be bringing to the big club, so I doubt anything happens for some time. Maybe he'll bow out around the ASB, but I don't know. I don't think he plans to stay in Chicago once he retires so I don't see a future role in the organization for him.

jdm2662
04-21-2014, 12:00 PM
Scottsdale is quite brutal in the summer months. He might stick around...

WhiteSox5187
04-21-2014, 12:12 PM
A lot of hitters have said that the hardest thing to do is coming in for the occasional pinch hit appearance and start, the thing is he seems to have the right approach (he's taking balls the other way, which is what he did when he was good) but they're not falling for hits. They're weakly hit. The strength in his wrist is just gone and I don't think it is going to come back.

I hope that he can have a nice week or two and then walk away because this is sad to watch.

LITTLE NELL
04-21-2014, 12:45 PM
Its very hard for him right now. He's a guy that came to the plate 600 times a year for 15 or so years and now he's lucky if he gets 4ABs a week. Does not look like he is adjusting to this type of role and he just might say its time to hang them up at mid-season.

Noneck
04-21-2014, 12:46 PM
We read and hear stories about players and somehow we seem like we actually know them. We have heard stories about Thome that hes such a great family guy but jumped from team to team rather that calling it a great career and stay home with his kids. Actually he still hasnt officially retired. The game becomes your life to some and the lifestyle is the most important thing in ones life. I dont know Paul Konerko so my answer would just be a wild guess.

kufram
04-21-2014, 02:29 PM
It is not embarrassing to get older and there are many, many more repercussions to come greater than being unable to swing a bat as well as PK has for 15 years while earning 10s of millions of dollars doing it. He is not just taking up a roster spot. He is a veteran presence if nothing else.

I hope he is spending every moment possible honing the defensive skills of his successor and helping him adjust to major league pitching. That's something I think PK would take pride and care in doing. He seems to be that kind of guy. It might even be part of the reason he is there.

cards press box
04-21-2014, 02:50 PM
Does anyone think he may just go the Griffey route and retire mid-year?

I do, yes. I could certainly see Konerko retiring as a player in mid season and perhaps remaining as a coach.

I think Paulie will be uncomfortable hanging around if there really isn't a role for him.

I agree. There isn't really a role for him anymore and that will become more apparent when Beckham is ready to come back to Chicago. Does it really make sense to send either Marcus Semien or Leury Garcia to the minors and keep Konerko on the roster? If the Sox want to sit Dunn against a tough lefty, they could have Viciedo DH and play L. Garcia in the outfield or perhaps have Semien DH. If Paulie can't hit anymore, there is no reason to keep him on the 25 man roster, particularly with the club carrying 12 pitchers.

I'm as big a Konerko fan as anyone but when it's time to go, it's time to go.

jdm2662
04-21-2014, 02:51 PM
One has to wonder, if this will be worse than Harold's last season with the Sox...

Chez
04-21-2014, 02:58 PM
This is one of the scenarios I feared when I advocated for the Sox to not bring Paulie back for this season. But it seems like both Paulie and the Sox went into the season with their eyes wide open, so I'd be surprised if he doesn't finish out the year. Hopefully, he turns things around and we have our happy ending.

Moses_Scurry
04-21-2014, 03:15 PM
I think he'll stay the whole season, but they'll find a way to put him on the DL for a big chunk of it, even if he's not hurt.

keloms
04-21-2014, 04:40 PM
Whole season or at least long enough for him to have closure, but, I don't think stats or at bats play into the decision. I think a large part of the situation was him dealing with the circumstances and reality of his career coming to an end and figuring if he was phased out rather than it all coming to an abrupt end, he'd be able to handle it better. Once he gets to that moment, that'll be it for him.

waldo_the_wolf
04-21-2014, 05:00 PM
One has to wonder, if this will be worse than Harold's last season with the Sox...

No, because at least Konerko isn't batting fifth in the lineup every single game like Harold was.