PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 4/20 White Sox Win 16-2! Postgamer

insp
04-20-2014, 06:36 PM
Interesting how when the team wins big, it takes so long for someone to get one of these threads up and running.

On the other hand, when we lose big, it takes so much less time.....

Madvora
04-20-2014, 06:38 PM
Awesome display of hitting. Everything was going right in the 9th.

fisk4ever
04-20-2014, 06:47 PM
A hit for everyone except the DH!

cub killer
04-20-2014, 06:47 PM
Actually, postgame threads are up within a minute of the last pitch, I've been timing it on this site for years. It's usually pretty impressive, I think Frater has it all set up already and just hits Send as soon as the final out is recorded.

It was weird that it took about 20 minutes today for teh postgame thread to pop up. Anywho, interesting that *official* isn't in the thread title. And go Sox! Too bad we can't save some of those runs for other days

Soxman219
04-20-2014, 06:52 PM
Let's hope the offense continues into Detroit.

amsteel
04-20-2014, 06:54 PM
I'm gonna file this one under #LOLSox, but not for the usual reason.

SoxSpeed22
04-20-2014, 07:01 PM
That's a relief after the past two games. Johnson is starting to get it now, which will be a big boost going forward. Nice to go to Detroit on a high note.

Jurr
04-20-2014, 07:03 PM
This team is very fun to watch. If they can solidify some pitching sore spots, they could make a little run. This league is trending towards the middle.
The standings are so tight!

doublem23
04-20-2014, 07:08 PM
That's a relief after the past two games. Johnson is starting to get it now, which will be a big boost going forward. Nice to go to Detroit on a high note.

Eh, I don't think Erik pitched that well, just caught some breaks. 5 BB in 5 IP... Not going to get it done at this level.

But a win is a win.

LITTLE NELL
04-20-2014, 07:36 PM
That was better, keep it going in Detroit.

KRS1
04-20-2014, 07:38 PM
Let's hope we didn't use up our offense for the week just as it starts. :D:

voodoochile
04-20-2014, 07:49 PM
Eh, I don't think Erik pitched that well, just caught some breaks. 5 BB in 5 IP... Not going to get it done at this level.

But a win is a win.

Wild but effective. If you are going to walk 5 in 5 innings, then it's for the best to only give up 2 hits...

ChiSoxGal85
04-20-2014, 07:58 PM
Not impressed by this start from Johnson. I did enjoy the Sox providing oodles of offense, especially seeing Abreu snap out of his funk. :bandance:

doublem23
04-20-2014, 08:09 PM
Interesting how when the team wins big, it takes so long for someone to get one of these threads up and running.

On the other hand, when we lose big, it takes so much less time.....

Beautiful day today, Easter Sunday, NBA Playoffs start today... Lots of stuff to go.

doublem23
04-20-2014, 08:10 PM
Wild but effective. If you are going to walk 5 in 5 innings, then it's for the best to only give up 2 hits...

Yeah, maybe, just seemed like a few balls that could have been big problems found gloves today. Should note I only watched the first few innings, too nice to sit inside, I had the game on the radio while I went out for a run.

But ****, a win is a win. Go get Detroit tomorrow.

cards press box
04-20-2014, 08:24 PM
Wonder if Rienzo or someone else will start on Wednesday at Detroit? But for today,

:winner

slavko
04-20-2014, 08:26 PM
Not impressed by this start from Johnson. I did enjoy the Sox providing oodles of offense, especially seeing Abreu snap out of his funk. :bandance:
Two ground ball up the middle singles yesterday, IIRC. That's how you break out of a slump, hit it up the middle.

Boondock Saint
04-20-2014, 08:56 PM

But a win is a win.

Agreed. Those walks were mitigated by the fact that he only gave up one hit. Sprinkle in two or three more hits, and it could have been trouble.

Very nice to see the guys hitting again. Those slumps get demoralizing.

Paulwny
04-20-2014, 08:58 PM
I wonder if Johnson should pitch from the stretch. He seemed to have trouble locating the plate with the lead-off hitters in the first 4 innings. I know this has been done by some starting pitchers. They felt more comfortable pitching from the stretch than a wind-up.

soltrain21
04-20-2014, 09:33 PM
I still don't understand why De Aza was out.

DrCrawdad
04-20-2014, 09:35 PM

Me too.

ChiSoxGal85
04-20-2014, 09:53 PM

I believe it was because they ruled that he swung at the pitch that hit him. Therefore it's strike 3 and dead ball. Someone in the game thread posted the rule.

The Immigrant
04-20-2014, 09:58 PM
I believe it was because they ruled that he swung at the pitch that hit him. Therefore it's strike 3 and dead ball. Someone in the game thread posted the rule.

The replays showed that he checked his swing. It wasn't even close.

DrCrawdad
04-20-2014, 10:15 PM
The replays showed that he checked his swing. It wasn't even close.

Sometimes it's hard to tell if a swing was checked, to me as they usually look like they've swung. This one wasn't even close. De Aza did not swing.

Railsplitter
04-20-2014, 10:26 PM
Lots and lots of runs!
:bandance:

ChiSoxGal85
04-20-2014, 10:46 PM
Went back and looked at my Twitter feed for the De aza call, and am now just more confused:
@scottmerkin: The call on the field was that De Aza was not hit by a pitch. Manager Robin Ventura challenged that ruling, but the ruling of De Aza...
@scottmerkin: not being hit by a pitch stood. De Aza was out on a checked swing, leaving the White Sox 0-for-3 on challenges this season.

Another writer said this:
@CST_soxvan: Replay clarification from NY: Ruling of not hit by pitch stood, and De Aza was out on the check swing. Ventura challenged that he was hit.

The ball hit something - if not De aza, then the bat. Shouldn't that have been foul ball?

StillMissOzzie
04-20-2014, 10:52 PM
Actually, postgame threads are up within a minute of the last pitch, I've been timing it on this site for years. It's usually pretty impressive, I think Frater has it all set up already and just hits Send as soon as the final out is recorded.

It was weird that it took about 20 minutes today for teh postgame thread to pop up. Anywho, interesting that *official* isn't in the thread title. And go Sox! Too bad we can't save some of those runs for other days

Regarding any delays today, remember that it WAS a holiday...

SMO
:gulp:

October26
04-21-2014, 07:40 AM

Yes, indeed. The Sox offense was awesome. Made for a great day all around!

:gosox:

DonnieDarko
04-21-2014, 08:04 AM
Went back and looked at my Twitter feed for the De aza call, and am now just more confused:
@scottmerkin: The call on the field was that De Aza was not hit by a pitch. Manager Robin Ventura challenged that ruling, but the ruling of De Aza...
@scottmerkin: not being hit by a pitch stood. De Aza was out on a checked swing, leaving the White Sox 0-for-3 on challenges this season.

Another writer said this:
@CST_soxvan: Replay clarification from NY: Ruling of not hit by pitch stood, and De Aza was out on the check swing. Ventura challenged that he was hit.

The ball hit something - if not De aza, then the bat. Shouldn't that have been foul ball?

The ball DID technically hit him...but because he swung at the pitch as well, it counts as him swinging at the pitch, not getting hit.

At least that's how I understand it.

harwar
04-21-2014, 08:30 AM
especially seeing Abreu snap out of his funk.

Yes, apparently Abreu naturally goes the other way, and with great power .. he went away from that and started trying to pull everything after beginning the season like he did .. the media comparing him to Frank Thomas didn't help .. hopefully he has already learned to ignore all that and just play ball .. i have no doubt that someday, this man is going to be a force that other teams are going to have to deal with..

doublem23
04-21-2014, 09:29 AM
Yes, apparently Abreu naturally goes the other way, and with great power .. he went away from that and started trying to pull everything after beginning the season like he did .. the media comparing him to Frank Thomas didn't help .. hopefully he has already learned to ignore all that and just play ball .. i have no doubt that someday, this man is going to be a force that other teams are going to have to deal with..

Yes, and it is also important to remember that this is a man who is 19 days into not only his MLB career, but his life in professional American baseball in general. Not only is he going through the traditional rookie growing pains of learning how to play everyday at this level of competition, but he's learning live life in a brand new country. I could barely hit my weight in high school ball in my own hometown, I can't even imagine what adjustments he must be going through.

His talent is sublime, and he could easily have had 3-4 hits during that little cold snap but guys made some pretty nice plays on him. He's still ****ing ripping the ball, just unfortunately, a few missed the fence by a few feet, and a few others somebody came down with. His slash line today could very easily be .280/.350/.600, which is incredible for what he is being asked to do professionally and personally. As long as he stays healthy, he will produce.

Also, let's remember that this is his first full season in the Majors, he's probably going to tail off a little as the season wears on. I don't know how the season in Cuba is, but there's no way you can prepare for 162 games of Major League baseball other than physically doing it. He's going to get tired. He's going to have bumps and bruises. This is an extremely physically demanding sport. He is the real deal, though, and I have no doubt that he is going to earn every cent he signed for now.

soxnut1018
04-21-2014, 10:52 AM
His talent is sublime, and he could easily have had 3-4 hits during that little cold snap but guys made some pretty nice plays on him. He's still ****ing ripping the ball, just unfortunately, a few missed the fence by a few feet, and a few others somebody came down with. His slash line today could very easily be .280/.350/.600, which is incredible for what he is being asked to do professionally and personally. As long as he stays healthy, he will produce.

His BABIP right now is only .245. Considering how hard he hits the ball, there's no way that doesn't improve dramatically.

doublem23
04-21-2014, 10:56 AM
His BABIP right now is only .245. Considering how hard he hits the ball, there's no way that doesn't improve dramatically.

Thanks for doing the research I was too lazy to do myself. :tiphat:

Only reinforces my belief that this slump is bad luck as much as anything else. Abreu's recent struggles haven't looked and felt like some other raw power guys' slumps, where they look absolutely helpless at the plate, guessing poorly and flailing at everything; he's still hitting the ball pretty well, just finding defenders right now.

hawkjt
04-21-2014, 12:59 PM
I am pleased with the last two Erik Johnson outings.
He is settling in a little better.
I think we have our #4 starter identified.

Now, we need to find #5.

Good to see the offense break out of their little funk.

Now, lets go to Detroit and take a series.
Sanchez tonite, verlander tomorrow...
Sox have Danks tonite, Sale tomorrow...good matchups for both teams.

Set the tone, not gonna roll over for the Tigers again this year.

KRS1
04-21-2014, 04:11 PM
I am pleased with the last two Erik Johnson outings.
He is settling in a littthenle better.
I think we have our #4 starter identified.

Now, we need to find #5.

He'll go where that sinker goes. If he can keep the velocity and movement up like it was yesterday, he'll be just fine at the end of the rotation.