PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 4/19 "Alexei's Streak is Ova" Postgamer

Brian26
04-19-2014, 10:21 PM
Nice little losing streak coming together here after the 14-inning debacle earlier this week. Don't stop now boys.

RadioheadRocks
04-19-2014, 11:24 PM
Would love to be proven wrong, but I have a sick feeling that 14-inning debacle is setting the tone for this season.

amsteel
04-20-2014, 12:19 AM
With a league leading offense and a dog dirt bullpen they were around 0.500 with league average (at best?) offense and dog dirt bullpen they are...

LITTLE NELL
04-20-2014, 06:45 AM
I'm not feeling good right now about our team. We stopped hitting, have no closer, not much of a bullpen, need 2 more starters. have a poor manager and in a rebuilding mode we lost one of our building blocks for the year.

Dan H
04-20-2014, 07:23 AM
I'm not feeling good right now about our team. We stopped hitting, have no closer, not much of a bullpen, need 2 more starters. have a poor manager and in a rebuilding mode we lost one of our building blocks for the year.

I think this says it all.

Noneck
04-20-2014, 07:35 AM

Forgot losing leadoff hitter and centerfielder to a possible knee injury for who knows at this point how long.

Within days we will be looking at the 2013 Sox plus Abreu minus pitching.

LITTLE NELL
04-20-2014, 08:35 AM
Forgot losing leadoff hitter and centerfielder to a possible knee injury for who knows at this point how long.

This is the latest I've seen on Eaton, hopefully only out for 3 games. I love his style but I hope he is not another Quentin, sometimes you can play too hard.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/players/playerpage/1808563/adam-eaton

Brian26
04-20-2014, 09:16 AM

I noticed Eaton came up lame exactly one play after he tried to tackle Fielder on that dribbler down the line. You're calling it a knee. They're calling it a hamstring. I hope it's not a knee injury. Hamstrings can be lingering issues as well, but generally are less serious. Running into Fielder was just unnecessary and silly, and I hope that isn't the real reason he's hurt.

tstrike2000
04-20-2014, 10:50 AM
Was Eaton trying to knock the ball loose since Fielder was in the baseline? Kind an odd play.

harwar
04-20-2014, 10:55 AM
Running into Fielder was just unnecessary and silly, and I hope that isn't the real reason he's hurt.

Apparently today's athlete is more fragile .. in baseball at least, unlike years gone by, all physical contact should be avoided .. they are bigger, faster, and stronger and even with no collisions, perhaps it is for those very reasons, that the injuries come..

JB98
04-20-2014, 12:26 PM
I have a bad feeling this is going to be an extended losing streak. They are going to get their asses kicked in Detroit. Not that it's a surprise. We knew this was gonna be another long year, and it's gonna be longer with Garcia's bat out of the lineup.

cards press box
04-20-2014, 12:36 PM
It's funny but I have the exact opposite feeling. I think the Sox will win today behind Erik Johnson and the team will do fine in Detroit.

whitem0nkey
04-20-2014, 12:57 PM
Adam Dunn leads the league in OBP, hopefully he can continue to stay hot and we get something nice in return.

cards press box
04-20-2014, 01:03 PM
My feelings are rebuilding stinks. I hate that the Sox Minor League system is one of the worst in MLB and for quite awhile now. We are a big market club and we should be signing big name free agents with a nice sprinkling of home grown products. I hate losing 99 games like last year, I hated giving up Buerhle and AJ, I hated giving up Peavy. I hate being last in MLB in attendance, it's frigging embarrassing, I know it's been cold but it's cold for Bear games and 65,000 showed up to watch a Blackhawk game in a snowstorm. I hate getting old and maybe not seeing the Sox in another World Series.

Sox system might be better than you think. Micah Johnson is off to a terrific start in Birmingham, hitting .377 right now with a .472 on base percentage. Hawk Harrelson is right: Johnson is a difference maker. Starting soon -- maybe in late 2014 and maybe next year -- I expect Johnson and Adam Eaton to be a fixture in the ##1 and 2 spots in the order.

Trayce Thompson is off to a strong start at Birmingham, too. He is hitting .322 with a .420 OBP.

And, right now, I plan to listen to the Charlotte Knights radio broadcast and listen to a little of Tommy Hanson's first start.

cards press box
04-20-2014, 01:08 PM

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/rsz_eeyore61_5881_5847.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=oK6J0iSN4T3tzM&tbnid=j9qdiNg0ZZyu-M:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftvtropes.org%2Fpmwiki%2Fpmwiki.ph p%2FMain%2FTheEeyore&ei=LQ1UU8gTzYbIBO6IgYAP&bvm=bv.65058239,d.aWw&psig=AFQjCNH9oTNJZbYQ-tVF3Yx9gOUliQ9oJw&ust=1398103669728319)

Little early to give up on Rick Hahn and his retooling, isn't it?

The Sox are making the right moves and are heading in the right direction. The long term outlook is good.

LITTLE NELL
04-20-2014, 01:11 PM

May I add that I hate rebuilding, big market teams don't rebuild. They make smart free agents signings and add a nice sprinkling of home grown products. I hate that we had to give up very good pitchers like Buerhle and Peavy. I hate that our Minor League system has been one of the worst for awhile now. I hate that we signed a manager with no prior experience at all in managing or even coaching and has not shown any improvement in his OJT. I hate that we are last in MLB in attendance, it's embarrassing. I know it's been cold but there are 10 million people in the metro area, are they all Cub fans now. It's been cold but Bear games sell out in sub freezing temps, 65,000 showed up to watch the Hawks in a snowstorm. I hate that I'm getting to the age where I may never see the Sox in another World Series. Sorry about the rant but the last 4 games plus last year have put me in a foul mood, especially the 14 inning fiasco.

cards press box
04-20-2014, 01:44 PM
May I add that I hate rebuilding, big market teams don't rebuild. They make smart free agents signings and add a nice sprinkling of home grown products. I hate that we had to give up very good pitchers like Buerhle and Peavy. I hate that our Minor League system has been one of the worst for awhile now. I hate that we signed a manager with no prior experience at all in managing or even coaching and has not shown any improvement in his OJT. I hate that we are last in MLB in attendance, it's embarrassing. I know it's been cold but there are 10 million people in the metro area, are they all Cub fans now. It's been cold but Bear games sell out in sub freezing temps, 65,000 showed up to watch the Hawks in a snowstorm. I hate that I'm getting to the age where I may never see the Sox in another World Series. Sorry about the rant but the last 4 games plus last year have put me in a foul mood, especially the 14 inning fiasco.

Other than the Yankees, everybody has to rebuild at some point. The big market teams that don't rebuild properly (e.g., the Cubs) are often a wreck. And, in fact, the Yankees did rebuild in the five years or so before they won the 1996 World Series. And, boy, do the Yanks need to rebuild now! Their outfield is really old and/or fragile and their infield is a mess! And with Ivan Nova going down with what will probably be season ending TJ surgery, they are not in a great position right now.

As for the Hawks selling out Soldier Field, they are defending Stanley Cup champs! The outdoor game was a novelty and those in attendance had a ball!

I have to admit that I am biased on this point because I really liked the Sox' offseason moves. Yes, they are gong to have some growing pains but I like the direction of the ballclub.

And in the 3rd, visiting Charlotte and Tommy Hanson lead Gwinett and Zach Stewart 3-0. Hanson had pitched two scoreless innings with no walks and 1 strikeout.

LITTLE NELL
04-20-2014, 01:51 PM
Other than the Yankees, everybody has to rebuild at some point. The big market teams that don't rebuild properly (e.g., the Cubs) are often a wreck. And, in fact, the Yankees did rebuild in the five years or so before they won the 1996 World Series. And, boy, do the Yanks need to rebuild now! Their outfield is really old and/or fragile and their infield is a mess! And with Ivan Nova going down with what will probably be season ending TJ surgery, they are not in a great position right now.

As for the Hawks selling out Soldier Field, they are defending Stanley Cup champs! The outdoor game was a novelty and those in attendance had a ball!

I have to admit that I am biased on this point because I really liked the Sox' offseason moves. Yes, they are gong to have some growing pains but I like the direction of the ballclub.

And in the 3rd, visiting Charlotte and Tommy Hanson lead Gwinett and Zach Stewart 3-0. Hanson had pitched two scoreless innings with no walks and 1 strikeout.

I like your optimism and hope you are right.

cards press box
04-20-2014, 02:07 PM
I like your optimism and hope you are right.

Thank you and here's another basis for optimism: Courtney Hawkins is off to a great start at Winston-Salem, hitting .322/.369/.610 with 4 HR and 16 RBI in 16 games.

Hanson has pitched three scoreless innings for Charlotte. His fastball is topping out at about 88-90. When he came up with the Braves a few years ago, I recall that he hit 92-93, so he is not throwing quite as hard. Hopefully, he has command with the slider and the curve. It sounds as though as he was throwing the breaking pitches for strikes.

LITTLE NELL
04-20-2014, 03:44 PM
Thank you and here's another basis for optimism: Courtney Hawkins is off to a great start at Winston-Salem, hitting .322/.369/.610 with 4 HR and 16 RBI in 16 games.

Hanson has pitched three scoreless innings for Charlotte. His fastball is topping out at about 88-90. When he came up with the Braves a few years ago, I recall that he hit 92-93, so he is not throwing quite as hard. Hopefully, he has command with the slider and the curve. It sounds as though as he was throwing the breaking pitches for strikes.

Good news, I'm feeling better already.