PDA

View Full Version : *official* 4/17 Our bullpen really really sucks Post game thread

guillensdisciple
04-17-2014, 10:11 PM
6 games lost by the bullpen.

Could be 14-2.

That sais it all.

doublem23
04-17-2014, 10:14 PM
Well, we also only scored 1 run today

anewman35
04-17-2014, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I really can't see how you can possibly blame the bullpen for this one. Any team that scores 1 run deserves to lose.

What if the game went 15 innings again, tied at 1, and then the bullpen gave up 2 runs? Is that considered a game the bullpen lost too?

And I also hate the idea of "if this was a good bullpen, they'd never blow a lead!". Every bullpen, ever, blows leads. Saying that "we could be 14-2" is very unrealistic.

shingo10
04-17-2014, 10:18 PM
Kind of feels inevitable when it comes down to late innings and its a close game. The good news is for the most part we've battled back on the offense side of things but tonight we just simply got outpitched. Lester was great. As was Sale. Then who's bullpen is going to fold first? Ours.

If the offense comes back down to earth things could be real ugly for a while. But I'm going to be an optimist and think that we will continue to battle and find ways to win despite the pen.

guillensdisciple
04-17-2014, 10:21 PM
Yeah, I really can't see how you can possibly blame the bullpen for this one. Any team that scores 1 run deserves to lose.

What if the game went 15 innings again, tied at 1, and then the bullpen gave up 2 runs? Is that considered a game the bullpen lost too?

And I also hate the idea of "if this was a good bullpen, they'd never blow a lead!". Every bullpen, ever, blows leads. Saying that "we could be 14-2" is very unrealistic.
14-2 is an idea, but even a 10-6 record looks good. The point is, we could be an extremely good baseball team.

CHISOXFAN13
04-17-2014, 10:25 PM
14-2 is an idea, but even a 10-6 record looks good. The point is, we could be an extremely good baseball team.

Extremely good baseball teams get that run in from third with less than two outs in the seventh.

anewman35

Sure, but the point is, we don't have a very good bullpen. Unless you're very rich or very good at building a team or very lucky, you can't be good at every single aspect of baseball, and right now the one where the Sox are lacking is the pen. I'm not saying they shouldn't try to get better, they definitely should, but for your own sanity you should just try to accept that the bullpen is going to blow a LOT of games and stop being so upset about it.

LoveYourSuit
Well, we also only scored 1 run today

Yeah, kind of lost here with all the focus in the bad bullpen is the offense going into a funk.

I guess has to do with facing 3 real good pitchers this series, but a bad sign to me is some very crappy in-effective ABs throughout the series.

Hope this is not reality of things to come. I realize we weren't going to hit .300 the whole year.

Noneck
04-17-2014, 10:26 PM
If the Sox early hitting was smoke and mirrors theres danger here cherie.

DrCrawdad
04-17-2014, 10:46 PM
Yeah, kind of lost here with all the focus in the bad bullpen is the offense going into a funk.

I guess has to do with facing 3 real good pitchers this series, but a bad sign to me is some very crappy in-effective ABs throughout the series.

Hope this is not reality of things to come. I realize we weren't going to hit .300 the whole year.

I agree. I still see an inability to score runners in scoring position in addition to shoddy bullpen and shaky defense.

Boondock Saint
04-17-2014, 11:27 PM
We only scored 1 run, and yes, our offense is in a funk, but Jon Lester is a damn good pitcher, too. That's a "tip your cap" performance, and a sincere one, for once.

TDog
04-17-2014, 11:29 PM

It wasn't just that the White Sox scored only one run. It was the White Sox scored only one run and left two runners on third, one having gotten there with less than two outs, and had another thrown out at the plate before the Red Sox got their second hit.

Part of the problem was that Sale could only go seven without the White Sox giving him the lead on a night after the bullpen exhausted. If Dunn had scored, if Viciedo had come through just once with two outs, if Semien had brought home a runner from third and less than one out, Bellasario wouldn't have had to come out for a second inning. Whether the White Sox would have been able to convert the save may be in question, but tonight, going into the ninth tied put the home team at a disadvantage.

Soxman219
04-17-2014, 11:48 PM
I was at tonight's game. The Bacon on a stick may be my new favorite food. Oh, and our bullpen is the worst in baseball.

DumpJerry
04-17-2014, 11:53 PM
We only scored 1 run, and yes, our offense is in a funk, but Jon Lester is a damn good pitcher, too. That's a "tip your cap" performance, and a sincere one, for once.
Fire Walker.

doublem23
04-18-2014, 12:45 AM

Yeah, in theory, every team could be undefeated right now if their damn pitchers would stop letting the other team score.

JB98
04-18-2014, 01:11 AM
Ideally, they wouldn't have sent Belisario out for the ninth, but with the way things went last night, I assume they had at least two other guys who were unavailable for tonight's game.

In any case, the Sox only scored one run. That's the main reason for the loss. Can't complain about Sale's outing. Another good effort from him.

tstrike2000
04-18-2014, 01:38 AM
The unfortunate byproduct of rebuilding is holes, which we have a lot of in the bullpen. Besides all the problems with walks, we essentially have no reliable lefty.

Golden Sox
04-18-2014, 08:38 AM
Yeah, the bullpen hasn't done there job, but I'm more worried about our offense. Since Garcia got hurt and Abreu has stopped hitting this teams hitting is starting to look as bad as it was in 2013. They could of swept Boston this week if they would of scored some runs.

russ99
04-18-2014, 09:05 AM
Glad Abreu got a game off, he needed one.

The pen is starting to reach 2007 levels of ineptitude. The only difference is they're walking us to death instead of giving up crushed longballs.

SCCWS
04-18-2014, 09:16 AM
Glad Abreu got a game off, he needed one.

The pen is starting to reach 2007 levels of ineptitude. The only difference is they're walking us to death instead of giving up crushed longballs.

Fire Coop. He was in charge of both bullpens.

Noneck
04-18-2014, 09:18 AM
Yeah, the bullpen hasn't done there job, but I'm more worried about our offense. Since Garcia got hurt and Abreu has stopped hitting this teams hitting is starting to look as bad as it was in 2013. They could of swept Boston this week if they would of scored some runs.

Remember the Sox are playing with last years usual suspects in left, right, 3rd, SS, C, dh and soon to be 2nd. The only one that I see with an upside from last year is SS and not to the point that he has been playing. It could get very ugly ahead.

#1swisher
04-18-2014, 11:04 AM
10 strikeouts, Chris Sale notched his 11th double-digit strikeout game, tying Billy Pierce for the fifth most in White Sox history.

Takes a no-hitter into the 6th before striking out 10.

Video:
http://m.mlb.com/video/v32168045/boscws-sale-fans-10-holds-boston-to-one-hit/?partnerId=social_20140418_22191484

Alexei Ramirez set the White Sox franchise record for a hitting streak to start a season at 16 games. He has hit safely in 20 straight games dating back to last season.

Chez
04-18-2014, 11:52 AM
I don't blame the bullpen for this one. Belasario got beat on an infield hit, an opposite field jam shot and an opposite field ground ball inside the bag. He didn't walk anyone or get hit hard. Downs made a bad play on the bunt, but that didn't cost us anything. Sometimes **** happens.

I would have had Jordan Danks pinch run for Dunn in the 8th. I think there's a good chance that Danks scores on De Aza's double (or Danks could have stolen second even befor De Aza came up). Did anyone ask Robin about this in the post-game interview?

It was an entertaining series. All three games could have gone either way. Hopefully Abreau snaps out of his mini-funk in Texas.

doublem23
04-18-2014, 12:07 PM
It was an entertaining series. All three games could have gone either way. Hopefully Abreau snaps out of his mini-funk in Texas.

Hopefully getting out of the cold will help. Long term forecast is looking pretty good, should be nice and warm when they get back next week.

SBSoxFan
04-18-2014, 12:11 PM
Hopefully getting out of the cold will help. Long term forecast is looking pretty good, should be nice and warm when they get back next week.

Right. I forget which game it was, but he hit 2 balls that will be home runs in another couple of months. After the second ball was caught at the wall, he seemed a little demoralized, and hasn't hit since.

doublem23
04-18-2014, 12:38 PM
Right. I forget which game it was, but he hit 2 balls that will be home runs in another couple of months. After the second ball was caught at the wall, he seemed a little demoralized, and hasn't hit since.

He hit one to the track on Wednesday that Bradley, Jr. made a really nice grab at the wall; I think that would have been gone almost any other night, but, and since I rode a bike from work downtown to the park Wednesday, I can attest that the wind was howling out of the south that night. :cool:

LITTLE NELL
04-18-2014, 02:34 PM
He hit one to the track on Wednesday that Bradley, Jr. made a really nice grab at the wall; I think that would have been gone almost any other night, but, and since I rode a bike from work downtown to the park Wednesday, I can attest that the wind was howling out of the south that night. :cool:
Just curious, a regular bike or a motorcycle? What route do you take and do you ride your bike all the way home after the game?

smac38
04-18-2014, 03:07 PM
At least we're a step above this...

http://deadspin.com/this-mightve-been-the-ugliest-pitched-inning-in-mlb-his-1564742990

doublem23
04-18-2014, 03:48 PM
Just curious, a regular bike or a motorcycle? What route do you take and do you ride your bike all the way home after the game?

On Wednesday, I just grabbed one of those Divvy bikeshare bikes that are popping up all over town. There's a station near my office at LaSalle & Jackson. I didn't even plan to go to the game at all Wednesday but a buddy of mine called around noon with an extra ticket. I was planning to take the Red Line to the park but I walked past the station on Jackson and said **** it, it's nice out, let's just ride.

I rode east on Jackson all the way to the Lakefront Trail and then rode that south to 31st Street. There's another Divvy station at 31st and Lake Shore Drive so I docked my bike there to restart the clock (the bikes are free for 30 minutes, but you can dock a bike for 5-10 seconds and the clock will restart). After I got my bike back, I rode over to State & 33rd, which is the closest station to the park now (at least if you're coming from the east). Then I walked to Cork & Kerry on 33rd Street and waited for my buddies to show up.

Not the most direct route, but I like the south side Lakefront Trail, a lot more scenery and less crowded than north of the Loop. Plus, those Divvy bikes are kind of slow and heavy and if I can avoid taking them through traffic, I will. I think the city is going to extend the protected bike lanes on State Street, though, right now they only go to Cermak, so if they extend them all the way to Bridgeport I might in the future just ride down State. I do, sometimes, ride my own bike from my apartment on the North Side to games on weekends, usually then I take a more direct route down Clybourn to Wells or State or LaSalle, cut through the Loop and head directly for the park.

And, no, I did not ride back on Wednesday night, it had gotten kind of cold, I was pretty drunk, and I don't think I left until almost 11 PM. Just took the Red Line back north. Nice thing about the bikeshare is that you can ride them when you want when the weather is nice but you don't have to ride it back later on.

LITTLE NELL
04-18-2014, 04:04 PM
On Wednesday, I just grabbed one of those Divvy bikeshare bikes that are popping up all over town. There's a station near my office at LaSalle & Jackson. I didn't even plan to go to the game at all Wednesday but a buddy of mine called around noon with an extra ticket. I was planning to take the Red Line to the park but I walked past the station on Jackson and said **** it, it's nice out, let's just ride.

I rode east on Jackson all the way to the Lakefront Trail and then rode that south to 31st Street. There's another Divvy station at 31st and Lake Shore Drive so I docked my bike there to restart the clock (the bikes are free for 30 minutes, but you can dock a bike for 5-10 seconds and the clock will restart). After I got my bike back, I rode over to State & 33rd, which is the closest station to the park now (at least if you're coming from the east). Then I walked to Cork & Kerry on 33rd Street and waited for my buddies to show up.

Not the most direct route, but I like the south side Lakefront Trail, a lot more scenery and less crowded than north of the Loop. Plus, those Divvy bikes are kind of slow and heavy and if I can avoid taking them through traffic, I will. I think the city is going to extend the protected bike lanes on State Street, though, right now they only go to Cermak, so if they extend them all the way to Bridgeport I might in the future just ride down State. I do, sometimes, ride my own bike from my apartment on the North Side to games on weekends, usually then I take a more direct route down Clybourn to Wells or State or LaSalle, cut through the Loop and head directly for the park.

And, no, I did not ride back on Wednesday night, it had gotten kind of cold, I was pretty drunk, and I don't think I left until almost 11 PM. Just took the Red Line back north. Nice thing about the bikeshare is that you can ride them when you want when the weather is nice but you don't have to ride it back later on.

Interesting stuff, never heard of the Divvy bikes.
I've been gone too long, lot of new things going on up there since I left.

doublem23
04-18-2014, 04:14 PM
Interesting stuff, never heard of the Divvy bikes.
I've been gone too long, lot of new things going on up there since I left.

Yeah, they only launched last summer so if you haven't been home in the past year you wouldn't have seen them.

They are the exact same bikes as what they have in New York, Washington, and Boston (http://www.nycbikemaps.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/citi-bike-meet-the-bike.jpg)

Hitmen77
04-18-2014, 05:28 PM
At least we're a step above this...

http://deadspin.com/this-mightve-been-the-ugliest-pitched-inning-in-mlb-his-1564742990

I see our old friend Sergio Santos was part of that debacle.

SCCWS
04-18-2014, 05:35 PM

But if getting out of the cold helps Abreu, does it hurt Alexei??? Does it mean our bullpen will get really exposed???

SCCWS
04-18-2014, 05:38 PM

The Zip Car equivalent for bikes.

harwar
04-18-2014, 06:49 PM

They tried something kind of similar in key west when i lived there back in the 70's .. i'm not sure exactly how it started, but they had about 100 bikes and the idea was to get people to stop driving home drunk .. you ride the bike home from a bar and bring it back the next day and leave outside of any bar and then someone else would use it .. it was great while it lasted and i used it several times, but people started keeping the bikes, so it ended..

doublem23
04-19-2014, 09:51 AM
They tried something kind of similar in key west when i lived there back in the 70's .. i'm not sure exactly how it started, but they had about 100 bikes and the idea was to get people to stop driving home drunk .. you ride the bike home from a bar and bring it back the next day and leave outside of any bar and then someone else would use it .. it was great while it lasted and i used it several times, but people started keeping the bikes, so it ended..

Sounds pretty similar, though with Divvy you need to put a credit card on file and if you don't return a bike you're on the hook for a cool grand, so I think that will be as pressing of a problem. :cool: