PDA

View Full Version : *** OFFICIAL *** 4/15 Stop the presses, we're in 1st place POSTGAME THREAD

doublem23
04-15-2014, 11:57 PM
Our 4-hour 2-1 win over Boston coupled with the Tigers' rainout against the Tribe and we're technically tied for 1st.

Wasn't expecting to use that line a lot this year, so milk it for as long as you can.

1st place.

:bandance:

thomas35forever
04-15-2014, 11:59 PM
More walkoffs please!:bandance:

Soxman219
04-16-2014, 12:02 AM
I'm savoring this time in first as long as I can this year. Print the playoff tickets!!!!

hoosiersoxfan
04-16-2014, 12:03 AM
14 games in to the year the Sox have already won on a walk off wild pitch, walk off homer, and walk off ground ball E6

ChiSoxGal85
Yay! Not real purty, but I'll take it. Nice outing by Johnson. He seems to be getting better each time out.

Congrats to Alexei extending the hitting streak to 15 games.

Well, I better go take a screen shot of that 1st place standing.

guillensdisciple
So special seasons have a lot of games like this. Just saying. Maybe no world series, but we could be in for a ride. Never feel out of it with this team.

Hope Abreu steps it up. He has been in a mini funk againm

Golden Sox
04-16-2014, 12:04 AM
I said it before and I'll say it again. This 2014 White Sox team is Playoff bound. I figure they should have there Playoff spot locked up by Labor Day.

asindc
04-16-2014, 12:08 AM
14 games in to the year the sox have already won on a walk off wild pitch, walk off homer, and walk off ground ball e6

e3

shingo10
04-16-2014, 12:08 AM
When you don't beat yourselves you always have a chance. Tonight the Red Sox gave it away but we put ourselves in position to take it.

Johnson was awesome, some of it might be the weather but he still looked sharp.

Good times right now.

doublem23
04-16-2014, 12:09 AM
e3

Bogaerts is the SS

Noneck
04-16-2014, 12:13 AM
Johnson was good, Downs looked good, Webb got a big out and no errors. Nice game.

Brian26
04-16-2014, 12:14 AM
Bogaerts is the SS

Yep, low throw. Even if it was a catchable ball, that's E-6.

asindc
04-16-2014, 12:14 AM
Bogaerts is the SS

Wasn't the error on the drop by the 1B?

EDIT: Official scorer has it E6. I would have gone E3. Either way, a White Sox winner!

FielderJones
04-16-2014, 12:21 AM
I would have gone E3.

****ty throw from the shortstop and you're going to charge the first baseman?

doublem23
04-16-2014, 12:32 AM
****ty throw from the shortstop and you're going to charge the first baseman?

Yeah I don't think I've ever seen a throw 1-hop a 1B and get charged E3

Boondock Saint
04-16-2014, 12:33 AM
Thanks to Mike Napoli for going all Brian Baldinger (http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/video/2011/09000d5d81fef17d_video_cp.jpg) to make sure the right Sox come away with the win.

Don't click on that link if fingers pointing in the wrong direction makes you queasy.

Tragg
04-16-2014, 12:34 AM
Wasn't the error on the drop by the 1B?

EDIT: Official scorer has it E6. I would have gone E3. Either way, a White Sox winner!
It bounced right to the first baseman - his head was turned away from the ball. They'll give it to the SS every time, but it was an easy play for the 1B.

I want to know if we'll hear all the analysts talk about the blown replay that went in favor of the Red Sox and ended up extending the game?

cards press box
04-16-2014, 12:43 AM
Well pitched game, well played game.

:winner

TomBradley72
04-16-2014, 12:44 AM
Adam Dunn is hitting .294? HR + 3 walks- if we actually got a season of the Adam Dunn we thought we were getting-what a huge plus
Viciedo 2-4 and hitting .333 so far- another huge plus
I've been traveling in Vienna for work- so only seeing the highlights, etc.- how does Petricka look?
We have to be close to giving Webb a shot at closing
IF E. Johnson can join the 3 LH starters with solid work- then we have 4 nice pieces in the rotation- hopefully one of the projects at AAA can emerge to replace Paulino

IronFisk
04-16-2014, 12:48 AM
I said it before and I'll say it again. This 2014 White Sox team is Playoff bound. I figure they should have there Playoff spot locked up by Labor Day.

:tealpolice:

cards press box
04-16-2014, 12:53 AM
I've been traveling in Vienna for work- so only seeing the highlights, etc.- how does Petricka look?

Petricka has pitched well. In four games, he has a 3.86 ERA and has averaged 7.7 K's/9 innings. His control is better than last year but can certainly improve. His stuff has looked pretty impressive and he definitely has potential. I would rather see the Sox give him innings than a pitcher with a balky back like Belisario.

voodoochile
04-16-2014, 02:44 AM
Yay! Not real purty, but I'll take it. Nice outing by Johnson. He seems to be getting better each time out.

Well, I better go take a screen shot of that 1st place standing.

Bullpen hasn't been horrid the last week either. Seem to be finding at least a few guys who can pitch.

balke
04-16-2014, 06:32 AM
Anybody else try to read Peavy's lips as AJ came out to talk to him? It looked like they were both jawing, then as AJ walked back Peavy shook his head and muttered "Freaking peaks of spit". Or something similar, couldn't fully make it out :wink:

To me it just seems weird they end up back together if AJ gets under Jake's skin like that.

ChiSoxGal85
04-16-2014, 07:11 AM
Anybody else try to read Peavy's lips as AJ came out to talk to him? It looked like they were both jawing, then as AJ walked back Peavy shook his head and muttered "Freaking peaks of spit". Or something similar, couldn't fully make it out :wink:

To me it just seems weird they end up back together if AJ gets under Jake's skin like that.
Yep, saw that...I think you're pretty darn close to what Peavy was muttering. :D:
Just going on memory, but I seem to recall that Peavy threw to Flowers more that latter part of AJ's last season here.

anewman35
04-16-2014, 07:47 AM
I want to know if we'll hear all the analysts talk about the blown replay that went in favor of the Red Sox and ended up extending the game?

Really not sure it was a blown replay. It was a very very close play, and the problem with most of the angles (including the one that Hawk and Stone were so sure that proved he was safe) was that you didn't get the ball and the foot in the same picture, so it was hard to tell anything. I just watched the video a few times again now, and on the one angle where you really can see everything it's VERY close as to if his foot is off the bag when he catches the ball. I'm super biased towards the White Sox, but I think the umps made the right call initially (and there certainly isn't clear enough evidence to change the call in New York).

DonnieDarko
04-16-2014, 07:55 AM

I'm pretty sure it's at 14 games...

Pretty sure that the Boston 1B told him something akin to "Congrats", because afterwards I could swear I read on Ramirez's lips a "Thank you".

DumpJerry
04-16-2014, 08:13 AM

You need a strong reality check.

Memorial Day.:D:

Yep, saw that...I think you're pretty darn close to what Peavy was muttering. :D:
Just going on memory, but I seem to recall that Peavy threw to Flowers more that latter part of AJ's last season here.
They can't play well together in the sandbox. Both are alpha dogs and can't stand the fact that there is another alpha dog in the house.

asindc
04-16-2014, 08:49 AM
It bounced right to the first baseman - his head was turned away from the ball. They'll give it to the SS every time, but it was an easy play for the 1B.

Exactly. The 1B got a room service hop and took his eye off it.

harwar
04-16-2014, 09:03 AM
I certainly don't have any idea what exactly is going on this season, but where ever this mojo is coming from, i sure hope that it continues .. i was expecting the worst and got their best .. i was going to bite bullet and force myself to watch every game, but now i just find myself counting the minutes until the amazing White Sox take the field again .. it's enough to make a sick old man smile :) .. pass the kool aid..

asindc
04-16-2014, 09:13 AM
This is the type of April game that not only last season's team would have lost, but going back to 2007, any of the Sox teams would have found a way to lose. This was a stare down that the Sox won. Should not have been, since the Abreu play at 1B was clearly the wrong call, but still.

Railsplitter
04-16-2014, 09:15 AM
First things first: two in a row means two dancing nanners

:bandance::bandance:

Second: that sure was a strange way to win one, even it was in our guys' favor.

Third: The Sox and Tigers are not tied for first, as only two teams with identical records can be tied. Winning percentage determines placement.

Tigers 6-4 .600
Sox 8-6 .571

I'll start a thread in TB explaining games behind.

asindc
04-16-2014, 09:17 AM
Thanks to Mike Napoli for going all Brian Baldinger (http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/video/2011/09000d5d81fef17d_video_cp.jpg) to make sure the right Sox come away with the win.

Don't click on that link if fingers pointing in the wrong direction makes you queasy.

Napoli is the 4th guy so far this year that has broken or dislocated a finger sliding into a base. Josh Hamilton and Ryan Zimmerman have also done it.

Chez
04-16-2014, 09:18 AM
Scott Downs retired all three batters he faced!!

SBSoxFan
04-16-2014, 09:28 AM
Really not sure it was a blown replay. It was a very very close play, and the problem with most of the angles (including the one that Hawk and Stone were so sure that proved he was safe) was that you didn't get the ball and the foot in the same picture, so it was hard to tell anything. I just watched the video a few times again now, and on the one angle where you really can see everything it's VERY close as to if his foot is off the bag when he catches the ball. I'm super biased towards the White Sox, but I think the umps made the right call initially (and there certainly isn't clear enough evidence to change the call in New York).

Isn't that part of the problem though? They would need a camera angle right down the first base line, either from home plate or from the outfield. If there aren't enough cameras to cover the necessary angles, then they need to stop reviewing plays and fix that immediately.

DeadMoney
04-16-2014, 09:49 AM
We should move the park to Alaska, because apparently our previously crappy pitchers are lights out in cold weather!

I was out there last night, it was a cold - but fun - one. Who was it that said "Winning is fun; Fun is winning!"

ChiSoxGal85
04-16-2014, 09:52 AM
I'm pretty sure it's at 14 games...

Pretty sure that the Boston 1B told him something akin to "Congrats", because afterwards I could swear I read on Ramirez's lips a "Thank you".
Yeah, my bad, it is 14 games...was half asleep at that point.

Also, lost in all the good news was that Conor Gillaspie's hitting streak ended - he'd hit in every game he played this season until yesterday.

On the replay, I saw a shot from the Boston feed (it's in this article) that showed pretty clearly that Napoli pulled his foot off. I wonder if the MLB replay crew is limited to one feed?
http://www.southsidesox.com/2014/4/16/5619548/robin-ventura-vents-about-replay-system-after-unsuccessful-challenge

Moses_Scurry
04-16-2014, 10:08 AM

I'm enjoying the over-.500 baseball while it lasts. Hopefully I can enjoy it for the entire summer!

Heffalump
04-16-2014, 10:30 AM
I don't know how this year is going to turn out, but so far I like watching these guys! Still a lot of weak points, especially on the pitching staff, but this team has some fire. That was ENTIRELY lacking last year.

slavko
04-16-2014, 10:54 AM
Exactly. The 1B got a room service hop and took his eye off it.

The ball bounced unusually high and that makes it harder for the 1B to come up with, not easier, IMO. He did take sort of a blind stab at it, didn't he.

Lots of good things to see there. Downs lives! Webb's my closer ASAP. Johnson belongs. Never thought I'd live to see ML baseball played at 34 degrees.

#1swisher
04-16-2014, 12:12 PM
“I mean his bat broke; we broke his bat,” Peavy said after his first start at U.S. Cellular Field since the White Sox traded him to the Red Sox in a three-team trade July 30. “You normally will take your chances when that happens. Most people aren't as strong as he is. He always said this ballpark played big to fair, and I'm going to go ahead and go on the record and have fun with him tonight, tell him that in big to fair ballparks, broken-bat homers don't get out.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/19091/dunn-hits-hr-peavy-says-bat-broke

FoulTerritory
04-16-2014, 12:28 PM

I was watching the NESN feed of the game and even the Boston announcers thought it was a blown replay call. They were shocked when there was no overturn.

October26
04-16-2014, 04:07 PM

I'm enjoying the over-.500 baseball while it lasts. Hopefully I can enjoy it for the entire summer!

Me too, great start to the season so far. :D:

:gosox:

hawkjt
04-16-2014, 04:42 PM
Grinder win. Love it.

Erik Johnson had his best stuff of the year. Command with 4 pitches.
I have said he does not have great ''stuff'' but if he can command, with 4 pitches...that might be enough. I figured that he must be better than his first couple of outings.
If he can be decent, we got 80% of a rotation, which is almost enough to be competitive.

Downs finally did what he is paid to do...get a lefty, then added a righty and lefty in the next inning...good to see.

Petricka and Webb are pretty solid. That's two. Now, if Nate Jones can come back and be healthy...that's three..maybe. Downs? maybe. Cleto? maybe. Veal? possibly. That is 6....if they all fell into good grooves..we are almost there in the pen, maybe.

Alexei has been carrying the team, almost. Great to see.
Peavy is a tough competitor out there, and clearly, a hard nite to hit. I have been asking..can this Sox team win without scoring 6? Last nite was one of those nites...cool.