PDA

View Full Version : Tonights Game - Upper Deck Closed

WhiffleBall
04-15-2014, 04:49 PM
The upper deck will be closed for tonight's game. UD season ticket holders are being upgraded to gold box seats. I presume regular UD ticket holders will get what ever else is available in the LD.

Ron Karkovice
04-15-2014, 04:59 PM
In before obvious joke that they may as well do this for the rest of the home games this year.

Chez
04-15-2014, 05:02 PM
The only other games I ever remember this being done (close the upper deck and sit whereever you want) was (1) for an afternoon make-up game against Detroit in mid-Serptember, 2012 -- we won that game and it seemed like we were on our way to the playoffs and (2) when due to a hurricane in Florida, the Marlins played a "home" game against the Expos at The Cell in September, 2004.
http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=240913128

I was there for both games!

Noneck
04-15-2014, 05:18 PM
What is the reason for this closure?

kobo
04-15-2014, 05:24 PM
What is the reason for this closure?
My guess is it's a combination of the weather tonight and the amount of tickets that have been sold.

Max Power
04-15-2014, 05:33 PM
My guess is it's a combination of the weather tonight and the amount of tickets that have been sold.

Impossible. I've been led to believe the Red Sox have the greatest, most dedicated fans in baseball! I expect nothing less than a sellout.

amsteel
04-15-2014, 05:36 PM
The only other games I ever remember this being done (close the upper deck and sit whereever you want) was (1) for an afternoon make-up game against Detroit in mid-Serptember, 2012 -- we won that game and it seemed like we were on our way to the playoffs and (2) when due to a hurricane in Florida, the Marlins played a "home" game against the Expos at The Cell in September, 2004.
http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=240913128

I was there for both games!

Whoa, I went to both those games too.

Foulke You
04-15-2014, 05:37 PM
With Boston in town, I expect the national media to get involved now on the whole attendance debate. Lord knows, the locals were having a blast with it this morning on Sports Blab 670. Late 2005 thru 2009 was pretty nice because we didn't have to hear a damn thing about attendance during that period of time. I just loathe the potshots that Cub media members take at our fanbase. I realize it is all they have to hang their hats on but it is no less annoying.

Lip Man 1
04-15-2014, 06:27 PM
Have been reading this thread and just wanted to post something that may be of interest if the discussion turns towards attendance in the next few days.

Over and above the lunacy of having the Sox again play a large number of April home games in lousy weather is the fact that for seven consecutive seasons, the attendance at year's end was lower than the previous season. This has never happened before in franchise history. This trend (and after seven years that's what you have to call it) started in 2007, when attendance was lower than in 2006.

The reason is probably a combination of things...bad teams, lousy weather early in the season with double digit April home games, school still in session in April / May / September, 'dynamic' pricing...you name it.

Feel free to consider what you will.

Lip

Dan H
04-15-2014, 06:37 PM
With Boston in town, I expect the national media to get involved now on the whole attendance debate. Lord knows, the locals were having a blast with it this morning on Sports Blab 670. Late 2005 thru 2009 was pretty nice because we didn't have to hear a damn thing about attendance during that period of time. I just loathe the potshots that Cub media members take at our fanbase. I realize it is all they have to hang their hats on but it is no less annoying.

The attendance is old and tired and constantly pushed to the forefront by the Tribune. I saw the headline in the Trib today about "Lackluster Attendance," and refused to read the article or anything esle in the sports section. It went right to the recycle bin. The local sports media will do anything to bash Sox fans. We need to ignore them. Then maybe they will go away.

ricker182
04-15-2014, 06:39 PM
The Sox can easily put butts in seats by winning.
Even if they offered free tickets, I don't think they'd sell out.

That being said, I'm a pretty die hard fan who usually makes it to 20-25 games a season even when they're bad.

With the exception of our bullpen (and a couple starters), this team this year is very fun to watch.

I expect attendance to rise dramatically (30,000-35,000) once the weather ACTUALLY breaks.

The Immigrant
04-15-2014, 06:39 PM
In before obvious joke that they may as well do this for the rest of the home games this year.

They had a really nice crowd on Saturday, close to 28,000, then less than half that number on Sunday. The only real difference between the two games - both 1 p.m. starts on a weekend day - was the weather. ****ty weather kills walkup sales.

The Immigrant
04-15-2014, 06:42 PM
Have been reading this thread and just wanted to post something that may be of interest if the discussion turns towards attendance in the next few days.

Over and above the lunacy of having the Sox again play a large number of April home games in lousy weather is the fact that for seven consecutive seasons, the attendance at year's end was lower than the previous season. This has never happened before in franchise history. This trend (and after seven years that's what you have to call it) started in 2007, when attendance was lower than in 2006.

I think this just means that attendance spiked above historic norms in 2006 and has slowly been reverting to historic norms since then. That's the reason for the steady decline since 2006. Let's face it, the 2006 levels were not sustainable without sustained success on the field, and we all know that the Sox have failed miserably in that regard.

#1swisher
04-15-2014, 06:47 PM
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan (https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan) 9m (https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/status/456199322598510592)

Upper Deck closed out of concern for safety of fans. Snow, ice on ramps and in some seating areas which could become issue as game goes on.

Doug Padilla ‏@ESPNChiSox (https://twitter.com/ESPNChiSox) 35m (https://twitter.com/ESPNChiSox/status/456193246528798720) Light snow falling at the Cell. Stop the torture.

Ron Karkovice
04-15-2014, 06:50 PM
They had a really nice crowd on Saturday, close to 28,000, then less than half that number on Sunday. The only real difference between the two games - both 1 p.m. starts on a weekend day - was the weather. ****ty weather kills walkup sales.

I was there on Saturday. My friend and I each guessed 30k plus (since it looked pretty full), but once the attendance multiple choice came up on the jumbotron late in the game, it turned out to be like ~24k???

ChicagoG19
04-15-2014, 07:08 PM
I was there on Saturday. My friend and I each guessed 30k plus (since it looked pretty full), but once the attendance multiple choice came up on the jumbotron late in the game, it turned out to be like ~24k???

It ended up being above 27,000 on the jumbotron. However, they only count paid attendance. Many fans received free tickets for completing a survey before the season, so those people are not counted in the attendance total. I think there were probably more than 30 thousand at the game on Saturday.

amsteel
04-15-2014, 07:21 PM
How long til we get the quote on how Peavy loves to pitch in conditions like these?

Brian26
04-15-2014, 07:39 PM
The upper deck will be closed for tonight's game. UD season ticket holders are being upgraded to gold box seats. I presume regular UD ticket holders will get what ever else is available in the LD.

An interesting sidenote, I was looking at tickets last night on Ticketmaster, and the Sox were not allowing the purchase of Upper Deck tickets in any row higher than the 10th row. I found that to be curious.

Mohoney
04-15-2014, 07:45 PM

I would like to know how many season ticket holders who committed to season tickets in 2006 to get 2005 playoff tickets turned around and cancelled those tickets after 2006 was over. I would also like to know how many of those who stayed for 2007 cancelled after that train wreck of a season.

Shoeless
04-15-2014, 07:54 PM
I would like to know how many season ticket holders who committed to season tickets in 2006 to get 2005 playoff tickets turned around and cancelled those tickets after 2006 was over. I would also like to know how many of those who stayed for 2007 cancelled after that train wreck of a season.

Undoubtedly train wreck seasons messes with most teams' attendance. You have to have some good talent to get them back, I suppose.

roylestillman
04-15-2014, 08:02 PM
I was there Saturday the announced attendance (and the right answer on the board) was 27,332. Small talent, but I've been known to marvel friends at coming within a few hundred in guessing attendance numbers and I would have but Saturday's gate at 33,000 or so. The number of freebies out there from the 4/3 game, survey vouchers and stubs from an equally bad weather game last September, meant a lot of non counted people in the house.

On the broader attendance question, I hope people remember that even if the Sox should start winning this year, don't expect the numbers to start to jump. All you have to do is look at how long it took to start getting decent crowds in 2005. In fact real numbers don't really go show up until the next year. A team really has to start making the post season a few consecutive times before a 2.5 million base or so returns.

ChiSoxGirl
04-15-2014, 09:01 PM

We were at both games this past weekend, and Sunday was the most uncomfortable I've been at a baseball game in quite a few years. I got sunburn on Saturday and wind burn on Sunday. I knew the temperature was going to drop, but it was only supposed to get as low as 54 according to my Weather Channel app, which I checked before we left. I packed three fleeces, a scarf, and ear warmers in preparation for that, and put all of it on as soon as we got out of the car. It was 46 when we got to the ballpark, so I didn't stay warm for very long.

Given the weather conditions, and the crowd that deteriorated as the afternoon went on, we were hoping they'd tell all of us in the upper deck who were left to head downstairs and find ourselves some seats, but that didn't happen.

HomeFish
04-15-2014, 10:09 PM
Snow and ice? I wouldn't show up to the Cell's UD on a snowy day even if it was a game between the 2005 White Sox and the 2000 White Sox.

ChiSoxFann
04-15-2014, 10:40 PM
Given the weather conditions, and the crowd that deteriorated as the afternoon went on, we were hoping they'd tell all of us in the upper deck who were left to head downstairs and find ourselves some seats, but that didn't happen.

I did the Saturday/Sunday games too and it's amazing how weather was perfect one day and how awful it was the next. It was 65 when we left for the game Sunday and 43 once we got to the park. I only wore a light sweater and jeans and my dad a light jacket. Some at the park were in shorts and t-shirts so I assume they were fooled by the forecast like us.

We were ready to leave before the game even started because the upper deck was freezing and the beat writers were Tweeting that rain was expected at 1:30. We used our free survey tix for each game that weekend so we didn't mind checking out early Sunday. We attempted to leave, but found the ushers stopped checking for tix at the 100 level so we walked right in. I was hoping they would at least tell people to come downstairs. It's the least they could have done for those brave enough to sit up top.

doublem23
04-15-2014, 11:10 PM

The official attendance for that game was I think 27,300-something and I agree, I was there, there were a lot more butts in the seats than that number. As has been suggested, they must not have counted the free tickets. Personal anecdote: I used my free survey tickets, they were good for free seats in the $7 UD levels and I had a few friends meet me there, they tried to buy the same seats at the box office and they were sold out.

The crowd tonight is actually a lot better than I expected considering the temperature is hovering around 30 degrees.

Hitmen77
04-16-2014, 02:36 PM

The reason is probably a combination of things...bad teams, lousy weather early in the season with double digit April home games, school still in session in April / May / September, 'dynamic' pricing...you name it.

Lip

2 of the last 3 seasons ('11 and '13) gave us teams that fans hated watching. The 2011 team just totally quit as soon as they fell behind in a game and of course last year they were on pace with 1970's futility record for a while.

No surprise that attendance has been falling. 2012's mid-season unexpected success (before flopping again at the end) isn't enough to overcome the effect of the lousy effort on the field in recent years.

SaltyPretzel
04-16-2014, 04:08 PM
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan (https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan) 9m (https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/status/456199322598510592)

Upper Deck closed out of concern for safety of fans. Snow, ice on ramps and in some seating areas which could become issue as game goes on.

There's always snow and ice up there because the upper deck is in such a high altitude. :tongue:

Foulke You
04-16-2014, 04:57 PM
On the broader attendance question, I hope people remember that even if the Sox should start winning this year, don't expect the numbers to start to jump. All you have to do is look at how long it took to start getting decent crowds in 2005. In fact real numbers don't really go show up until the next year. A team really has to start making the post season a few consecutive times before a 2.5 million base or so returns.
This is 100% correct and it is a concept the media almost never brings up. Season ticket sales are what give you solid annual attendance. Walk ups are nice but you can't count on 20,000 walkups to fill the park even if the team is doing well. It's just not a reasonable amount to expect especially if the weather forecast is bad. Winning seasons gain fans for the following year.

I've never liked Indians fans but they took a lot of the same heat last year that Sox fans are familiar with. They had a team in contention most of the year and their attendance struggled all season. Even their d-bag closer Chris Perez called out their fans in the local press asking where the Indians fans were at. The problem was that their season ticket base shrank because they hadn't been to the postseason since 2007! Just like the Sox season ticket base has shrunk because we haven't been back since 2008. Consistent playoff teams will drive attendance. Take a look at what it has done for the Texas Rangers, SF Giants, and the St Louis Cardinals.

russ99
04-16-2014, 05:12 PM
I'm going next Sunday afternoon with my fingers crossed for good weather.

But it's a known quantity that we don't do well on weeknights in April, and a lot to do with that is that our fanbase is a good part families and it's hard to go to games when the kids are in school.

Also, I have no idea why MLB constantly schedules us tons of home dates in April (this year 15 home/13 away) especially early April. With the amount of warm weather cities, you'd think they'd be smarter with the scheduling.

Ever since they turned scheduling over to the computer service, schedules have been awful.

Cat Thief
04-16-2014, 05:14 PM

We were talking about the same thing, had to be 30k. The upper corners were pretty much full.

doublem23
04-16-2014, 05:33 PM
Also, I have no idea why MLB constantly schedules us tons of home dates in April (this year 15 home/13 away) especially early April. With the amount of warm weather cities, you'd think they'd be smarter with the scheduling.

I cannot believe that every year someone brings up this same point and every year it has to be pointed out that warm weather/dome cities don't want to have all their home games scheduled in April when kids are still in school and crowds are usually sparser. That stinks, but that's life.

It is what it is. I'm sure by now the Sox management staff is aware that they will have to play 12-15 home games in April and have adjusted as best as they can.

TomBradley72
04-16-2014, 05:48 PM

But it's a known quantity that we don't do well on weeknights in April, and a lot to do with that is that our fanbase is a good part families and it's hard to go to games when the kids are in school.

Ever since they turned scheduling over to the computer service, schedules have been awful.

The difference between 15/13 and 14/14 is only one game- so i don't think that's a big deal- if I was MLB- I WOULD schedule week 1 in warm weather/dome sites and week 2 in the other cities- but weather in April is a crapshoot so who knows-

White Sox attendance in April (other than years after a post season appearance) is alwys dismal- very unlikable teams from 2009-2013 will do that- but they are turning it around- this is one of the best teams that fist what our fan base likes since 2005- they are on the right track

TDog
04-16-2014, 05:49 PM

Lip

The White Sox have been playing pretty well at home, better than they have been playing on the road. They certainly aren't a bad team this year and have been playing interesting, when not exciting, home baseball.

April weather is inconsistent. In Chicago, it's less inconsistent in May. It is smarter to play more day baseball in April because the weather is more likely to be better than it is at night. But as someone who cares more about the White Sox winning than the White Sox getting large attendance figures, I would hate to see the Sox spend most of April on the road. You can't have the two New York teams playing predominately on the road in April.

With two teams in Chicago, you really can't send both teams on the road for most of the month. The best you can do is play day predominately day baseball and hope for the weather to be as good as possible.

Mohoney
04-16-2014, 06:00 PM
The difference between 15/13 and 14/14 is only one game- so i don't think that's a big deal- if I was MLB- I WOULD schedule week 1 in warm weather/dome sites and week 2 in the other cities- but weather in April is a crapshoot so who knows-

White Sox attendance in April (other than years after a post season appearance) is alwys dismal- very unlikable teams from 2009-2013 will do that- but they are turning it around- this is one of the best teams that fist what our fan base likes since 2005- they are on the right track

The only other solution would be to wait until the middle of April to start the season, bring back Sunday doubleheaders, and have more off-days throughout the season. Charge 1.5 times the price for those tickets if need be to make up the difference, but I can't see how packed houses on Sundays for two games wouldn't beat the vast emptiness of some of these April games in cold weather.

ricker182
04-16-2014, 07:05 PM
It ended up being above 27,000 on the jumbotron. However, they only count paid attendance. Many fans received free tickets for completing a survey before the season, so those people are not counted in the attendance total. I think there were probably more than 30 thousand at the game on Saturday.

...if you wanted exact. Looked like more though. I guessed ~33,000 before the jumbotron thing came up.

ricker182
04-16-2014, 07:09 PM
2 of the last 3 seasons ('11 and '13) gave us teams that fans hated watching. The 2011 team just totally quit as soon as they fell behind in a game and of course last year they were on pace with 1970's futility record for a while.

No surprise that attendance has been falling. 2012's mid-season unexpected success (before flopping again at the end) isn't enough to overcome the effect of the lousy effort on the field in recent years.

The 2012 collapse wasn't very fun either... I gotta admit I questioned my fandom after that.

Lip Man 1
04-16-2014, 07:18 PM
Just wanted to bring up some points in the attendance discussion regarding cold weather April games.

1. In the late 80's / early 90's MLB did try to rig the schedule allowing the warm weather / dome stadium teams to open at home and play a number of April games in better conditions so it can be done.

2. The point about those same teams having to play so many April home games when their fans are in school is a valid one. I understand their objections. However in the larger term, this would be better for the game.

Fans wouldn't have to try to sit through brutally cold weather, players would perform better and lessen injury chances from hamstring pulls, elbow injuries ect. (I've tried throwing a breaking ball in 35 degree weather...it's not any fun.)

To those warm weather cities who object I'd say, "it's for the good of the game but to help out with your "difficulty" you will be receiving a check from the MLB Central Fund to the tune of __ million dollars."

I'm sure the Angels for example, could care less where the money comes from as long as they get it.

There's a price to be paid for being in the league, this is one of them.

3. I have been told by members of the front office that the Sox have listed scheduling objections to MLB so far without success. One example I was given was that when Cleveland was struggling with attendance MLB made sure the Yankees came to Cleveland twice on weekends in the summer to help get bigger crowds. The Sox have lost attendance from the previous season seven straight years. Attendance is an issue. Yet they don't seem to be getting the same "sympathy" over it from MLB. I have no idea why...but playing 14-16 home games in lousy, cold April weather the past few years isn't helping matters at all.

4. The point about 'you can't have all the cold weather teams on the road for a month in April' is also reasonable (and simply common sense. So instead of the White Sox or Yankees or Tigers or Mets playing 14-16 April home games they only play five or six. This gets them at home for a few games and gets the warm weather teams on the road for a few games.

It simply is logical to me that instead of the White Sox playing 14 April home games it should be the Angels. Instead of the Tigers playing 14 April home games it should be the Rays and so on. We're not talking about warm weather teams having to play 20 of 30 games in April at home are we? They shouldn't have any money objections to that....but if they do under my plan there's the money from the central fund to placate them.

Lip

lpneck
04-16-2014, 10:21 PM

This is such a tired argument. EVERY TEAM IN MLB plays 9 series during March/April. You either play 5 home/4 away, or 4 home/5 away. Kids go to school in Atlanta, too.

If Arizona plays 22 home games in April, how do you answer their (very valid) concern about the fact that they will only play 6 home games in a month later in the season during a pennant race?

RadioheadRocks
04-16-2014, 11:13 PM
This is such a tired argument. EVERY TEAM IN MLB plays 9 series during March/April. You either play 5 home/4 away, or 4 home/5 away. Kids go to school in Atlanta, too.

This.

kittle42
04-17-2014, 12:37 AM

If Arizona plays 22 home games in April, how do you answer their (very valid) concern about the fact that they will only play 6 home games in a month later in the season during a pennant race?

Are you not aware that "going to school" is a much, much, much, more valid excuse in the south half of one city than anywhere else in the country?

Kids go to school!!!!

Just freaking admit it - this team is not popular in and of itself and it takes a lot to bring fans out to the stadium.

OK? Over it? Good.

Shoeless
04-17-2014, 12:58 AM
Just freaking admit it - this team is not popular in and of itself and it takes a lot to bring fans out to the stadium.

OK? Over it? Good.

The team is plenty popular, but its fan base refuses to support a bad product. Your point is a good one.

doublem23
04-17-2014, 01:29 AM
It simply is logical to me that instead of the White Sox playing 14 April home games it should be the Angels. Instead of the Tigers playing 14 April home games it should be the Rays and so on. We're not talking about warm weather teams having to play 20 of 30 games in April at home are we? They shouldn't have any money objections to that....but if they do under my plan there's the money from the central fund to placate them.

Lip

The Angels and Rays have 12 and 14 home games in April 2014 respectively. It's not like these teams aren't playing any home games, they're all playing the same amount of games at home and on the road, save for a game here or there. I cannot believe how worked up people get over this topic.

kittle42
04-17-2014, 01:30 AM
The Angels and Rays have 12 and 14 home games in April 2014 respectively. It's not like these teams aren't playing any home games, they're all playing the same amount of games at home and on the road, save for a game here or there. I cannot believe how worked up people get over this topic.

Because people are stupid. /thread