PDA

View Full Version : **Official** 4-13 Alexei Walk-Off Winner!

shingo10
04-13-2014, 08:27 PM
Didn't see a thread on this yet.

9th inning showed that finding a closer is not as easy as it might appear to be. A pitcher really needs the right mindset. Granted, Abreu did no favors for Lindstrom but the wild pitch was horrendous.

Alexei is playing phenomenal baseball. Loved his celebration. (Eat is Swisher)

Over .500!

TDog
04-13-2014, 08:30 PM
Earlier this afternoon, I thought the White Sox lost this game when they couldn't take the lead with runners on first and third and one out. Of course, De Aza hit into a double play ahead of Ramirez, who has been the Sox best hitter this year.

Later I thought the Indians had lost the game when they couldn't get a runner home from third with one out. And I was almost certain of it when Semien, for the second time this season at home, homered in the bottom of the eighth to break a tie. But not only did Lindstrom fail to pitch over the error, he failed to limit the damage. A two-out wild pitch that brings in an unearned run is clearly the pitcher's fault regardless of what it does to his ERA. And, of course, Danks had come in for Viciedo to put out a better defensive team for the top of the ninth. But, as it turns out, AL Central teams would be only 1 for 4 in converting last-defensive-inning save opportunities on this Sunday. (Minnesota didn't blow a save after KC's pitchers and defense failed to hold the lead in the bottom of the eight, and the Tigers never had the lead in San Diego.)

It bothered me when De Aza went down without even getting Danks to third, but Ramirez picked up a few teammates with his fourth swing of the day. You have to wonder how an experienced closer on a team that fancies itself a contender would ignore the obvious first-ball swinging nature of Ramirez's day. The home run by the second baseman (having not yet moved to third)should have won the game, but the game-ending home run by the shortstop was more dramatic. It was the second game-ending home run by a shortstop today, but I digress.

As Harry Caray used to say, I know you liked the outcome. The Sox could have swept this series, but for a while today it looked like they were going to split it. A couple of other points:

Ramirez really has been the best, most consistent White Sox hitter this year. I know I wasn't the only WSI poster who didn't want to trade him during the off-season, but I'm happy he has exceeded my expectations this April. I wonder how much Abreu coming to the team has to do with it. I wonder how much Sterverson has to do with it. Ramirez hit very well last year, but I don't think he's every had two weeks this strong in his American career.

Lindstrom is a quality relief pitcher. His failures as a closer, though, can't be shrugged off and attributed to back defense or bad luck. I don't know how long he will be saved for save situations. Really, I believe the Jones' injury is the biggest reason the White Sox aren't in first place right now.

guillensdisciple
04-13-2014, 08:31 PM
Just find pitching and this team becomes a serious contender. I have a feeling this offense is the read deal.

Zakath
04-13-2014, 08:52 PM
Just find pitching and this team becomes a serious contender. I have a feeling this offense is the read deal.

The numbers bear that out. They came into the game second in BA and best in HR and RBI in the majors, but they were next to last in ERA and worst in WHIP.

Get even to mediocre in pitching (and it's really the right-handed starters and about half of the 'pen) and this team hitting even close to the way it is can compete to win this division.

amsteel
04-13-2014, 09:25 PM
A Cuban Missle just blew up the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame.

DrCrawdad
04-13-2014, 09:28 PM
Didn't see a thread on this yet.

9th inning showed that finding a closer is not as easy as it might appear to be. A pitcher really needs the right mindset. Granted, Abreu did no favors for Lindstrom but the wild pitch was horrendous.

Alexei is playing phenomenal baseball. Loved his celebration. (Eat is Swisher)

Over .500!

Great to beat the Indians. Great that the Clown Swisher didn't get to celebrate.

voodoochile
04-13-2014, 09:38 PM
Great to beat the Indians. Great that the Clown Swisher didn't get to celebrate.

Did he even try to pie Ramirez? He's just mailing it in these days...

Shoeless
04-13-2014, 09:42 PM
Did he even try to pie Ramirez? He's just mailing it in these days...

He's batting .196. He'd be pouting.

soxfan1965
04-13-2014, 10:13 PM
Close, but cigar (Cuban).

Railsplitter
04-13-2014, 10:19 PM
It's a win.
:bandance:

doublem23
04-13-2014, 10:29 PM
Still 90+% of the season to go, but it looks like Alexei's been able to overcome his personal issues from last year. Hopefully his rejuvenated play on the field means he's been able to put tragedy behind him and go on with his life. I can't imagine dealing with what he did last year.

soxfanreggie
04-13-2014, 10:46 PM
Great job to fight through this! Credit to Quintana for coming back after the delay to give us more innings.

#1swisher
04-13-2014, 10:57 PM
Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox (https://twitter.com/whitesox)
It's the 47th game-ending home run in U.S. Cellular Field history and first since 7/4/13 vs. Baltimore (@adamdunn_44 (https://twitter.com/adamdunn_44)).

Extra points for style. #walkoffwinner (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23walkoffwinner&src=hash) pic.twitter.com/JWArbvfBCd (http://t.co/JWArbvfBCd)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BlJZPTyCEAAW-sG.jpg (http://t.co/JWArbvfBCd)

sunofgold
04-13-2014, 11:10 PM
Kinda ugly, very dramatic . AJ and peavy coming back to town. I thought they didn't get along? Lets win some more, good season so far.

Shoeless
04-13-2014, 11:13 PM
Kinda ugly, very dramatic . AJ and peavy coming back to town. I thought they didn't get along? Lets win some more, good season so far.

AJ is so hatable in other teams' uniforms. Meh.

Noneck
04-13-2014, 11:28 PM
It was a nice win and great series win within the Sox division. Ramirez has had a season start like he has never had before. We were unaware of his personal problems last year but the Sox knew what was going on. That was why the Sox were not willing to sell low. His worth should greatly increase if he continues to play the baseball he is playing. By season end he will be 33 years old and plays a position that this organization has depth in. This is a club that still needs quite a bit in order to compete and have very few tradeable chips. A huge year by Ramirez can really help the future of the Sox.

Tragg
04-14-2014, 12:08 AM
I know it's speculation, but getting Rios out of the clubhouse and off this team sure didn't hurt, especially with these young players coming up.

waldo_the_wolf
04-14-2014, 12:25 AM
I just wish it was a four-game sweep after all the chirping from Indians fans last year. Good to see the Sox are on the right path to turning the tables. Great grit by Quintana, especially in the 6th inning. I echo everyone's sentiments about Alexei's comeback so far this year. Even Adam Dunn looks great at the plate!

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-14-2014, 12:47 AM
Did anyone else see Alexei's leap into home plate and immediately think "Kendrys Morales"?

Ever since that happened, seeing any player - especially a Sox player - do that leap makes me nervous.

That said, we've already assured ourselves a better record against the Wahoos than last year, and we've only played 4 games with them. Sad, or impressive? You make the call.

Great to see some clutch hitting, but damn does this team need a bullpen.

BainesHOF
04-14-2014, 01:00 AM
I attended my first game of the season today. Quintana delivered another quality performance. The defense continued to be shaky. Ramirez continued to hit. And it was nice to see Semien deliver a big blow before Lindstrom blew the save.

My girlfriend and I were among the 300 or so left in the park to see the final out. The atmosphere around the park was surreal. We walked to the park from Halsted a half hour before the scheduled start and the neighborhood down 35th was like a ghost town. I've seen more action for late September games. Apparently last season lost a lot of people. Not that I expected any kind of walk-up crowd given the weather, but tons of season tickets went unused today. It was so quiet in the park. I sat 18 rows from the Sox on-deck circle and you could clearly hear some hecklers from the upper deck as well as the Indians in their dugout whenever they did something good.

I applaud the Sox for having so many food and drink choices this season. They must be at an all-time high. I can recommend the barbecue brisket sandwich (be sure to add extra sauce). By the sixth inning almost all stands were closed, but I did manage to find an open Beggar's Pizza stand. The sausage slice I had was tasty, though a bit small. C'mon Beggar's, serve a real slice. Love that my $9 extra-large MGD draft was cold and filled to the brim.

I hope this team receives an attendance boost. Its effort and decent execution deserves to be seen and supported by more people. That said, I don't foresee how this club can finish near .500. It just doesn't have the pitching to do it.

ChicagoG19
04-14-2014, 01:10 AM
I attended my first game of the season today. Quintana delivered another quality performance. The defense continued to be shaky. Ramirez continued to hit. And it was nice to see Semien deliver a big blow before Lindstrom blew the save.

My girlfriend and I were among the 300 or so left in the park to see the final out. The atmosphere around the park was surreal. We walked to the park from Halsted a half hour before the scheduled start and the neighborhood down 35th was like a ghost town. I've seen more action for late September games. Apparently last season lost a lot of people. Not that I expected any kind of walk-up crowd given the weather, but tons of season tickets went unused today. It was so quiet in the park. I sat 18 rows from the Sox on-deck circle and you could clearly hear some hecklers from the upper deck as well as the Indians in their dugout whenever they did something good.

I applaud the Sox for having so many food and drink choices this season. They must be at an all-time high. I can recommend the barbecue brisket sandwich (be sure to add extra sauce). By the sixth inning almost all stands were closed, but I did manage to find an open Beggar's Pizza stand. The sausage slice I had was tasty, though a bit small. C'mon Beggar's, serve a real slice. Love that my $9 extra-large MGD draft was cold and filled to the brim.

I hope this team receives an attendance boost. Its effort and decent execution deserves to be seen and supported by more people. That said, I don't foresee how this club can finish near .500. It just doesn't have the pitching to do it.

I definitely echo these thoughts. I went to my first game yesterday and certainly saw the difference in the quality of the food stalls. The employees even seem to be more attentive this year. From an off-field perspective, I think the Sox have done a really nice job this year. Ticket prices are reasonable for the most part, the TV marketing has improved, and they finally painted over the area around broadcast booths behind home plate!

cards press box
04-14-2014, 10:19 AM
:winner

of the walk off variety!

Moses_Scurry
04-14-2014, 10:41 AM
I just heard on the radio that Alexei has a hit in all 13 games so far. Look out DiMaggio!!

I just looked back to last year, and he had hits in his last 4 games, so he would actually be up to 17 games, correct?

doublem23
04-14-2014, 10:47 AM

I think they will, it's just going to take a little time to completely flush the bad memories of last year's 99-loss trainwreck. And it wasn't even the sheer amount of games they lost, it was everything about that team. They were easily the least likeable baseball team I can ever remember being assembled.

I think even if they float around .500, but play with this kind of energy and excitement, people will respond to it.

Also, it would help to string together 2 nice days in a row. :D:

Foulke You
04-14-2014, 12:09 PM
I think they will, it's just going to take a little time to completely flush the bad memories of last year's 99-loss trainwreck. And it wasn't even the sheer amount of games they lost, it was everything about that team. They were easily the least likeable baseball team I can ever remember being assembled.

I think even if they float around .500, but play with this kind of energy and excitement, people will respond to it.

Also, it would help to string together 2 nice days in a row. :D:
I agree. I think they lost a chunk of season ticket holders after last year's debacle. If the team continues to be this entertaining, the attendance will creep back up. I also agree that the weather plays a big part. They had a really nice crowd on Saturday at 28,000. The lower bowl was completely full and the upper deck looked about half full. Then the cold rainy Sunday came and it was immediately back to 12,000.

beasly213
04-14-2014, 12:21 PM
Love that Alexei is right in front of Swisher in this photo

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1.0-9/1888723_10152821287493298_4777790909779165887_n.jp g

IlliniOne82
04-14-2014, 01:27 PM
That might be my new desktop picture.

jdm2662
04-14-2014, 01:43 PM
It's amazing that Swisher played here for one season six years ago, and everyone still can't stand his ass... Can't we all just move on and wish him well? :redneck

DeadMoney
04-14-2014, 01:50 PM
It's amazing that Swisher played here for one season six years ago, and everyone still can't stand his ass... Can't we all just move on and wish him well? :redneck

Absolutely not.

I will say though, not all of my disdain for the guy comes from his one year here (although a lot of it does).

TDog
04-14-2014, 01:53 PM

My dislike for Nick Swisher predated his coming to the White Sox. Perhaps it was influenced by an interview with his jerk father in 1988, but since Swisher the younger was with the A's, he has never given me any reason to wish him well.

asindc
04-14-2014, 02:37 PM

No.

DrCrawdad
04-14-2014, 02:38 PM
My dislike for Nick Swisher predated his coming to the White Sox. Perhaps it was influenced by an interview with his jerk father in 1988, but since Swisher the younger was with the A's, he has never given me any reason to wish him well.

Absolutely not.

I will say though, not all of my disdain for the guy comes from his one year here (although a lot of it does).

My dislike for Swisher has nothing to do with his brief stint with the Sox. In fact when Swisher played here I sympathized to a degree for him - Ozzie batted Swisher leadoff, had him play CF - in other words played him out of position. I just don't like Swisher's antics on the field as he seems to revel in rubbing losses vs the Sox. Think Ramirez walk off celebration but on every single win over the Sox last year.

doublem23
04-14-2014, 02:40 PM

No, same reason why I'd still boo the **** out of Ozzie the next time he shows his face at the Cell, as well.

The Immigrant
04-14-2014, 02:50 PM

His antics are annoying, but the real reason I hate the guy is because of the two trades that were built around him - particularly how little we got for him in the second trade. That was more KW and Ozzie's doing, of course, but I don't typically get an opportunity to boo those two so Swisher gets all of my hate. :tongue:

DrCrawdad
04-14-2014, 05:54 PM
His antics are annoying, but the real reason I hate the guy is because of the two trades that were built around him - particularly how little we got for him in the second trade. That was more KW and Ozzie's doing, of course, but I don't typically get an opportunity to boo those two so Swisher gets all of my hate. :tongue:

Those were two lousy trades. Lousy. Lousy. Lousy.

TomBradley72
04-14-2014, 06:16 PM
I was more frustrated by the first trade FOR Swisher-giving up Gio + Sweeney (at the time) + De Los Santos seemed like huge overpayment for a .262 hitter (even with a high OBP).

Not as frustrated with what they got back after trading him to Yanks- after hitting .219, .197 vs. LHP, and .191 in the 2nd half- he had very little trade value- I was happy for the salary dump.

Brian26
04-14-2014, 07:55 PM
My girlfriend and I were among the 300 or so left in the park to see the final out. The atmosphere around the park was surreal. We walked to the park from Halsted a half hour before the scheduled start and the neighborhood down 35th was like a ghost town. I've seen more action for late September games.

I don't know. I went to a couple of games like that last September. One game in particular...a rain delayed game against Cleveland. I'm pretty sure there were about 300 people in the park. I still have some pics on my phone....

Same feeling in the park though...very surreal and eerie. You're in this huge palace, almost like an empty movie set, and there's nobody around you.

slavko
04-14-2014, 11:30 PM
My dislike for Swisher has nothing to do with his brief stint with the Sox. In fact when Swisher played here I sympathized to a degree for him - Ozzie batted Swisher leadoff, had him play CF - in other words played him out of position. I just don't like Swisher's antics on the field as he seems to revel in rubbing losses vs the Sox. Think Ramirez walk off celebration but on every single win over the Sox last year.

Ozzie played what he had. Blame the front office.

BainesHOF
04-15-2014, 12:55 AM
I don't know. I went to a couple of games like that last September. One game in particular...a rain delayed game against Cleveland. I'm pretty sure there were about 300 people in the park. I still have some pics on my phone....

Same feeling in the park though...very surreal and eerie. You're in this huge palace, almost like an empty movie set, and there's nobody around you.

When I wrote "around the park" I meant outside the park. If you drove or walked down 35th, the fact that a Major League Baseball game was about to be played in the area would have never crossed your mind. The gas station lot had literally like three cars in it and the closer school lot didn't have much more than that. No street vendors of any kind. Even some neighborhood businesses closed because it was a Sunday. No real car traffic. More traffic control people at the corners than pedestrians.

Tragg
04-15-2014, 01:18 AM
I was more frustrated by the first trade FOR Swisher-giving up Gio + Sweeney (at the time) + De Los Santos seemed like huge overpayment for a .262 hitter (even with a high OBP).

Not as frustrated with what they got back after trading him to Yanks- after hitting .219, .197 vs. LHP, and .191 in the 2nd half- he had very little trade value- I was happy for the salary dump.
I didn't like either trade, but the first was much worse.

Swisher is annoying....easy to dislike.

TDog
04-15-2014, 11:28 AM
Ozzie played what he had. Blame the front office.

That would be the front office that announced in the trade-day news conference that the Sox had acquired him to play centerfield with the flexibility of playing other positions. Swisher had replaced Kotsay in centerfield for the A's the previous season. Kotsay returned from his injury to center late in the season, but Swisher played more games in center than anyone else for the A's in 2007. In interviews in Oakland, Swisher seemed to be cocky about being the regular centerfielder.

As far as leading off, it's probably true that Guillen shouldn't have listened to the numbers people who said Swisher would be an ideal leadoff man because he had always been able to maintain a high on-base percentage, ignoring the fact that the role a player has on a team can affect his numbers.

I'm not going to blame Guillen for Swisher not being as good at baseball as the White Sox expected him to be.

MISoxfan
04-15-2014, 04:17 PM
Swisher had a down year when he played for us. It had nothing to do with where he hit in the order, or what position we put him in. In fact, he had a .358 OBP during his 29 games leading off, but hit for no power whatsoever. I won't pretend that I actually know whether that was because he changed his approach to fit his role or coincidence. He did only have a .250 BABIP during those games.

As for CF, he hit .243/.369/.432, which is better than any other position he played that season. I don't think there is any real difference between Swisher and 2008 and any other season other than the fact that his BABIP was 40 points lower than his career averages.

I wouldn't even care about Swisher any more if he didn't have such a piss poor attitude. The guy pouted like crazy when he was benched and gloats whenever he has a chance now.

DonnieDarko
04-16-2014, 07:48 AM
Meant to post this here. >_>

I think the last time Ramirez raised his arms like that was that record-breaking grand slam in 2008 in the make-up game against the Tigers in the "last" game of the regular season. Suffice to say, that was my favorite moment of that entire season, and seeing a short replay of it this time (in a more dramatic fashion, too--this one was a walk-off, after all) brought a VERY large smile to my face.

God, I love this guy. Even if he frustrates me sometimes with his play, I will always be a fan of Alexei Ramirez.