PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 4-12 Bullpen walks make chopped liver of Veal; CLE 12 SOX 6 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
04-12-2014, 04:40 PM
Free passes haunt us again. We'd be in first place if not for this garbage.

Boondock Saint
04-12-2014, 04:43 PM
Paulino's ERA is racing toward a run per inning. I hate watching him pitch.

At least it's fun to watch these guys hit.

Frater Perdurabo
04-12-2014, 04:46 PM
I never had any illusions about contending this year.

Nevertheless, when we're getting consistently solid run production, it's still frustrating to lose winnable games because our relievers give up walks and let them come around to score.

SBSoxFan
04-12-2014, 04:53 PM
Paulino's ERA is racing toward a run per inning. I hate watching him pitch.

At least it's fun to watch these guys hit.

That reversed call on the pick off seemed to rattle Paulino. That was a huge call and went a long way towards giving up 3 runs in the first versus none. I didn't see the HR in the second, but I hear it was foul. How can you have instant replay, reverse a pickoff call, and yet not get a fair/foul call on a HR correct?! Finally, there was the swing that wasn't against Rayburn in the 7th. So, instead of being down 0-2, he drove in the winning runs on a 2-1 pitch.

Soxman219
04-12-2014, 04:58 PM
I felt bad luck helped today's loss with the foul ball HR, Rayburn strike that wasn't called, and the reverse pick-off. But the bullpen caused this L today. They give up at least a run per game.

CoopaLoop
04-12-2014, 05:00 PM
Paulino WOOF

2/3 gotta be happy with that

Noneck
04-12-2014, 05:06 PM
There will be many days like this this year. Win tomorrow and get the series.

SoxSpeed22
04-12-2014, 05:50 PM
It looks like the pattern has been established for April. And it still beats the hell out of last year. I'll trust Sox brass when they saw something with Paulino, but I have no idea what it is yet.

korhead
04-12-2014, 05:56 PM
According to Ed and DJ, they saw a replay angle on the HR where the ball clearly hit the fair pole. Why that wasn't shown on TV? You got me.

Stoney thought it was foul, too. Get 'em tomorrow!

LoveYourSuit
04-12-2014, 06:13 PM
Big crowd (more than announced attendance), blanket giveaway actually pretty nice quality, solid offense once again, crappy ass pitching continues.

If Paulino gets another start someone should get fired.

cheezheadsoxfan
04-12-2014, 06:21 PM
No way we were gonna sweep the Tribe. And figured Paulino would be the weak link. Tho pen sucked too. Don't think Paulino will be around much longer. Better chance tomorrow with Quintana.

TDog
04-12-2014, 06:40 PM
Free passes haunt us again. We'd be in first place if not for this garbage.

The failure to score more than one run over two successive innings where the White Sox loaded the bases, first with one out and then with no one out, had as much to do with the Sox losing today as the bullpen did. The Sox only scored two runs after the first today, one on a solo home run and the other on a bases-loaded groundout. While the groundout was big in that it tied the score, it was the only run the Sox scored after twice loading the bases. Even the four-run first was aided by bad Indians defense. I didn't see much offense today.

There is plenty of blame to go around for the losses. In the first week of the season, the Sox lost two one-run games after failing to score at least one runner from third with less two out. Today's margin didn't end up being as close, but the Indians probably wouldn't have been in a position to put the game away if the White Sox would have produced some offense after the first.

I am generally more frustrated with offensively strong teams that have no pitching than I am with pitching-strong teams that have no offense. I know people think you're always in the game if you can score runs in bunches, but the other team is always in the game if you give up runs in bunches. If you want to win games, you will get more consistency from a great pitching staff than a great lineup. Unfortunately, to get Eaton and Davidson (who hasn't helped the White Sox yet), the Sox had to give up Reed and Santiago before they lost Jones.

Tragg
04-12-2014, 06:48 PM
Downs has been about as useless as they come. Bring him in, walk a batter, send him out.
Oh well, we have several more grizzled vets in AAA to switch out with.

Brian26
04-12-2014, 07:10 PM
You can't DFA guys only two weeks into the season. Ride it out and re-evaluate in May.

Noneck
04-12-2014, 07:14 PM
Downs has been about as useless as they come. Bring him in, walk a batter, send him out.
Oh well, we have several more grizzled vets in AAA to switch out with.

The Sox arent going to salt and pepper almost 4M maybe in september.

anewman35
04-12-2014, 09:51 PM
If Paulino gets another start someone should get fired.

I think you're going to be very disappointed.

Railsplitter
04-12-2014, 09:57 PM
Yuck

DumpJerry
04-12-2014, 10:01 PM
No way we were gonna sweep the Tribe. And figured Paulino would be the weak link. Tho pen sucked too. Don't think Paulino will be around much longer. Better chance tomorrow with Quintana.
Who do we have that can replace him? Don't day Axelrod.

ddog528
04-12-2014, 10:06 PM
Who do we have that can replace him? Don't day Axelrod.

I'd rather see Rienzo in there than Paulino.

ddog528
04-12-2014, 10:08 PM
You really couldn't have asked for a nicer day at the ballpark. It's a good game until it all started to fall a part in the 7th. Lindstrom, Cleto and Webb are the only one's I'm confident in as far as the bullpen goes at this moment.

Noneck
04-12-2014, 10:14 PM
Don't think Paulino will be around much longer.

The Sox wont eat 1.7m after a couple weeks of the season. I dont think he has an option so the only way he doesnt start is if hes put in the pen, then someone that does have options would have to be sent down and someone would have to brought up. Axlerod was mentioned and thats not going to happen because hes not on the 40 man roster.

doublem23
04-12-2014, 10:51 PM
Axlerod was mentioned and thats not going to happen because hes not on the 40 man roster.

Yeah, exactly, the three starters in Charlotte on the 40-man roster are currently Surkamp, Reinzo, and Leesman.

JB98
04-12-2014, 11:15 PM
Left-handed relief pitching is a real sore spot. Neither Downs nor Veal is able to get left-handed hitters out right now. As a matter of fact, neither is able to throw strikes to left-handed hitters. Might as well leave a righty in if that's the case.

Downs may be washed up, and well, Veal is pretty much a Triple A pitcher. As I've posted in the past, rebuilding teams always have gaping holes. Right now. left-handed relief is no relief at all.

RCWHITESOX
04-13-2014, 12:47 AM
It looks like the pattern has been established for April. And it still beats the hell out of last year. I'll trust Sox brass when they saw something with Paulino, but I have no idea what it is yet.

They saw the rebirth of Jamie Navarro.

Chez
04-13-2014, 08:19 AM
It's painful watching this bullpen, but you don't waste resources on assembling a top-notch bullpen during a re-build. I'm confident that when the Sox are ready to contend, they'll do what it takes to solidfy the bullpen --their track record in this department is actually pretty good. But until then, pass the Maalox.

TDog
04-13-2014, 12:02 PM
It's painful watching this bullpen, but you don't waste resources on assembling a top-notch bullpen during a re-build. I'm confident that when the Sox are ready to contend, they'll do what it takes to solidfy the bullpen --their track record in this department is actually pretty good. But until then, pass the Maalox.

Strong bullpens don't need to cost a lot. They can be tremendous drains on resources. The Yankees have overspent on their bullpens trying to build a winning team occasionally. Not only were they paying for experience that wasn't performing up to past performance, but they were spending money that could have been more productively spent elsewhere, despite the contention of fans that the Yankees have so much money to spend that such things aren't possible. The Royals don't spend much on their bullpen, and a lot of people think it's a strength of the team. In 2010, the Giants put together an excellent bullpen mostly midseason, retooling it in August with waiver deals, which turned out to be a major reason they went on to win the World Series and were clearly the best team in baseball at the end of October. The White Sox had a better closer, and a very different one on the mound on at the end of the second night in Houston at the end of October in 2005 than they had saving the 1-0 opening win April 5. Bullpens are constantly changing.

The White Sox bullpen would be better if it still had Reed and Santiago. They would have a better starting rotation if they still had Peavy. If your starters go seven, your bullpen won't have to work as hard, which generally makes it better. Oddly enough, the only player given up for anyone currently contributing to the White Sox offense was acquired for Santiago, but I think in the long run the White Sox will be better for dealing the pitching. Still if you take Lindstrom out of the role he had last season and lose Jones to injury in addition to losing Reed and Santiago, whatever roles they might have, your bullpen is going to be gutted. Signing Downs and Cleto seemed desperate to me at the time.

It isn't as if the Sox need to make a blockbuster trade for bullpen help, or even trade a regular position player. Bullpens can be fragile things, but if Jones comes back strong, the Sox may be only a couple of adjustments away from a bullpen that mostly does the job, as opposed to the current one. I don't know what those adjustments could be, but I've seen a lot of bullpens make turnarounds mid-season.

Shoeless
04-13-2014, 12:24 PM
According to Ed and DJ, they saw a replay angle on the HR where the ball clearly hit the fair pole. Why that wasn't shown on TV? You got me.

Man I don't know, but that's kind of like criticizing Kim Jung-un's hair cut.

We lost bad and I am sad. At the same time, I'm so glad I bought MLB.TV on my XBox :D: